Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 07:53 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tooraloora
Stats: 222/150.7/139
WOE: 2003 calorie counting + ex./ 2012 Aug 25: JUDD
strategies for DD for a noob

Hi all
I am gearing up to start JUDDD tomorrow, and plan to commit for one month as a decent trial. I am hopeful enough to embark... and of course a little apprehensive too that this could be one more WOE that won't work for me/I won't work. I am mostly nervous about the DDs... I have a lot of cal counting experience, and my ****** account has a ton of custom entries and I am quick at it... but I have never fasted, or done really low cal days... and with a skinny BF and teen son at home, I am going to need to be really strategic on my DD too. I think for sure I will cook dinners on those days with lean protein and veg, and just skip the carbs of the boys vs. my dear BF making chicken parmesan or something too high cal (he has no clue... he struggles to keep weight on!).

It sounds like some ppl have through trial and error figured out whether to have 3 or more very small feedings on a DD, or to fast-fast and then have an evening meal of more substance. I think I will try the 3 small meals approach first, and see how that goes, and take it from there.

I also know that avoiding weighing was a big contributor to my slipsliding up 35 lbs from my big 90 lb loss from 2003-2005... so I am going to try to do daily weighings, and see if I can get over the mind$#@& aspect that I associate with weighing in (as I have read that frequent weighings in a big predictor, along with staying really active, in maintenance... and maintenance is my ultimate goal... who cares if you lose a ton of weight if you can't keep it off???).

Any pointers to share from you seasoned vets? thanks in advance
tooraloora is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SuzeQ
Stats: 5'2"/75 years old 169/160/135
WOE: Anything that works!
Start Date: June 6, 2011
Well, I'm not that seasoned but I have found that I personally have to eat from a container that has the calories marked. Otherwise I may stray! So for my DD today I will have a WW English Muffin Egg/Canadian Bacon for lunch and dinner will be a Lean Cusine. I may also have coffee with HWC depending on the calories in the meals. Hope that helps.
SuzeQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:20 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Each of us is so different in what we need to feel satisfied. Some need protein and little else. For others, it's fat. Some need lots of bulk.

I fall into the "mix it all up" category. I need bulk and protein. A nice big salad with some tuna and ACV does the trick. If I just have protein, I'm starving. If I just have carbs, ditto.

A hot cup of tea or coffee, sometimes broth, will delay hunger for quite a long time. Spicy foods also do this for me. A cup of broth with some thinly sliced serrano chilis for 7 calories will get me through to lunch on those days I decide against breakfast.

Some fast all day until dinner, or don't eat at all. It's such a learning experience for us all. I say, take everyone's advice, and try it all over the next month, to see what, exactly, works for you. Enter everything in your calorie tracker so you can look back and remember which days worked best for you. Eventually, you'll end up with a few menus which work well, and probably won't deviate too much from them on DDs.

UDs present a whole other set of challenges. I like to stick strictly to my UD calories, but some don't worry about that at all, and do just fine. Good luck!

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
I agree with Dawn as to how we all had to find what worked for us as individuals.. I have always been a faster.. I have spent a good many years perfecting the art with caffine.. For me I could never eat breakfast befroe dieting.. and still can put food in till about 11 am ,, if its a down day i just start pumping my coffee with creamer and that keeps me from being hungry.. When i first started JUDD i ate 3 ounces of chicken breast with lots of fresh veggys to munch on..You will be surpirzed at how much food you can consume for 500 caloires.. Just have to fiugre out for you,, how does your body react when you do eat, verses how do you feel when you dont.! My sister has low blood sugar and needs to feed every couple of hours somthing small to keep from getting sick, headachey,, or nausious... So listen to what your body tells you,, and somtimes if you need to eat a lil more than allowed from the start.. DO SO! This is a number that you can work down to.. once you get a few weeks under your belt! And best of luck~
and on Losing those 90 pound years ago!! You can lose the few you put back on and then some with JUDDD and still feel normal while eating your fave foods~
1995 190# Low fat
2012 225#
2012 found JUDDD
166# current 2014

Last edited by sterlinggirl; 08-24-2012 at 11:52 AM..
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

thanks for ideas

I do think this will be a bit of a try and see month... and I will keep track of everything with some notes to self on any patterns. I can see figuring out some good DD meals/strategies and just repeating them, that is fine by me. Esp. as there is lots of leeway on the UD, which I think of as practicing for maintenance, w/o overeating. It will be very interesting to see if having an average calorie intake that is deficit vs striving for every day to be in deficit but then blowing it (so the avg. is break even or gain)... that's my hope, and many of your actual experiences, so here goes!
Old 08-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I am one of those that has tried DD's every which way and I settled into 3 meals per DD. No snacks.
Ex:
B - 2 eggs or 2 eggs + 2 egg whites scrambled, coffee with HWC (200-236)
L - HB egg or 3 thin slices of turkey wrapped around one large pickle spear cut into thirds (75 - 100)
D - HB egg (75)
And there is always the cup of broth made from a cube for 5 calories in a pinch. I do not eat after 7pm.
This works for me and is EASY.
Then on UD's I eat whatever and usually too much but I have still lost 30 pounds since I started January 8, 2012. BUT I have NEVER blown a DD.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooraloora View Post
Hi all
I am gearing up to start JUDDD tomorrow, and plan to commit for one month as a decent trial.
I think that's a nice start.

Quote:
I am hopeful enough to embark... and of course a little apprehensive too that this could be one more WOE that won't work for me/I won't work. I am mostly nervous about the DDs...
I was terrified of the DDs. Especially after the first one. But I tried to look at it as better than surgery and a medical necessity. I think it's best to be prepared for the worst. If you assume it may be the longest day of your life--then you can be happily surprised if it's not. The good news is that it gets easier and you also learn how strong you are.

I never knew that I could fast before. Now I know. And I feel like a badass.

Quote:
and with a skinny BF and teen son at home, I am going to need to be really strategic on my DD too. I think for sure I will cook dinners on those days with lean protein and veg, and just skip the carbs of the boys vs. my dear BF making chicken parmesan or something too high cal (he has no clue... he struggles to keep weight on!).
My rule is that I cook for me and only for me on DDs. Menfolk can fend for themselves.

Quote:
It sounds like some ppl have through trial and error figured out whether to have 3 or more very small feedings on a DD, or to fast-fast and then have an evening meal of more substance. I think I will try the 3 small meals approach first, and see how that goes, and take it from there.
That's probably the right approach. Be armed with a backup plan for the evening if you can't gut it out. Instead of thinking, "Forget this!" see if adding another 50 calorie snack will help, and get some glucomannan powder ASAP. It's a lifesaver.

Quote:
I also know that avoiding weighing was a big contributor to my slipsliding up 35 lbs from my big 90 lb loss from 2003-2005...
Oh, I hear you. Whenever I went on a binge, I could not bear to weigh in. Which led to other binges. And then a month later, I would finally muster up the courage to step on the scale and want to cry at what I saw. This is why I now weigh every day no matter what--even though I don't want to see the wild bounces.
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:40 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Oh, man, I love reading this, even though I've been here for something like five months. Great advice.
I just want to add that there's a great reason that so many of us have been here for so long. It works, it's doable, and the help here is the best.
All the best with your early days. It'll be fantastic to celebrate your successes with you.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:46 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cahira
Stats: 292.0/285.4/167.0
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 9/17/12
I've just finished my first week on JUDDD. I basically planned my day around three 200 calories meals - I'm a big girl so I get 600 calorie DD's. I would sometimes eat a lighter breakfast (only half a light English muffin with an egg for example) so I had the extra calories available to pad out dinner. I cooked dinner for my family, but found it easier just to eat my light stuff along with them.

I drank a ton of water. Probably 12-15 cups per day (96-120 ounces total). This helped keep me full. I tried to take it easy on my DD's. I work from home, so I planned low-key stuff for the DD's so I wasn't expending too much energy. I also went to bed early on my DD's. The extra sleep really helped.

Good luck!
cahira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:23 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Let's see....

Take measurements or get hold of just-too-tight clothing (thrift stores are so useful). If you go the clothing route, always have something just-too-small around. There is a very good chance, at multiple points in your journey, you will lose inches before the scale changes.

Pay attention to what hunger means to you. When you feel hungry, always drink something before you eat. Thirst frequently masquerades as hunger. Teach yourself the difference between 'I'm hungry' and 'I really need to eat'.

If you truly believe you are in 'I really need to eat' mode, do not be afraid to sneak, a few calories at a time, over what you planned to eat that day.

Keep small bites around. Sometimes all it takes is one or two bites of protein (less than an ounce) or a couple of lettuce leaves to quell what felt like starvation.

Do not expect every day to be the same. No-appetite DDs can be followed by not hungry UDs, or by starving UDs. Look for patterns. Identify foods that support or negatively impact the way you feel, the way you retain water, how hungry you are.

If you exceed your planned cals for one meal (say, a special lunch pops up on DD) get back on track for dinner.

Realize no one is forcing food into your mouth. At that special lunch, you have the ability to eat lettuce or just say 'no'. If you eat, you chose to eat. You are not out of control - you have made a decision. And that is alright. JUDDD is a journey and a Way Of Life. Life happens. As long as it does not happen too often, all is well.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:38 AM   #11

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Tooraloora, great advice here already.

Quote:
Realize no one is forcing food into your mouth. At that special lunch, you have the ability to eat lettuce or just say 'no'. If you eat, you chose to eat. You are not out of control - you have made a decision. And that is alright. JUDDD is a journey and a Way Of Life. Life happens. As long as it does not happen too often, all is well.
Lovely Nancy.

I like to include strong flavoured foods too. Some of anchovy on a huge slow baked tomato, or pickle chopped up with a salad. That kind of thing really helps me on DDs.
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoWeigh
Stats: 58 Yrs. & Hypothyroid
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD April 1st January – March ate LC/LC
JUDDD has been good to me. I started and was very apprehensive that it would, or could work, but the magic is there!

The DD eating was not too rough for me, even at the beginning. I have to eat a morning meal as I take thyroid medication and must to eat afterwards. Mt strategy is to spread out the calories the remainder of the day, NEVER allowing myself to get very hungry because it’s so much easier to give in or give up in that state of mind. Having lots of small calories meals to choose from at home is nice. Also, knowing where to turn for something if I’m not home. If I’m on the road all day I know that find a McDonalds anywhere. Their Ceasar salad with Balsamic vinegar totals only 135 calories and is actually pretty good. I think it’s really a matter of discovering what works best for you.

I chose my “name” here because I lived for years terrified of the scale. Denial is a powerful thing. I’ve also been scale obsessed in the past, weighing many, many times a day. Both, in my opinion, were too extreme. My happy medium is to weigh every other day, after a DD. I don’t get too crazy with bounces this way and I am often very delighted to see the progress two days can offer.

Wishing you much JUDDD magic!
Old 08-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

thanks everyone who had kept on adding great points... such a generous community, I feel welcome already

I have made some notes... I think the main thing is going to be planning, preparation, options/choices... along with some bulk (like slaws... I buy cabbage and broccoli preshreded), strong flavours, and spending wisely in general. Knowing there is a lot more leeway every other day should really help. Onward!!!!
Old 08-25-2012, 05:25 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Tooraloora, I think you understand JUDDD very well!!!! I hope this month is as good to you as my first month was to me
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:25 AM   #15

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Great planning is the way forward.
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:24 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
my down days have to be set:
produce and protein meals that are preplanned, and either premade or easy to cook up in minutes, especially on days when I am busy and just know my brain won't work creatively.
or I just fast. Once you get SIRT1 active fasting seems pretty easy to me.
And for someone just starting out I am now a huge proponent of Pterostilbene (Jarrow 50mg first thing, midday, late afternoon if needed) but everyone's experience is different. I know that taking the pterostilbene since I have come back to serious rotations after a break away I FEEL the same as I did when I waited to get the SIRT1 fully functioning. No trouble with down days at all.