Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 08:08 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Purple Sage
Stats: LCHF no scale - goal size 8 & healthy 14/14/8
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: January 1, 2005 Atkins :'( restart April 2014
Wanted to share some information on IF and sprint 8s

This week we went to Rapid City to visit my Uncle and cousin and work on the memorial garden for my aunt who passed away in May. While we were there one of our ministers was staying with them and he noticed me restricting on a couple of days. He asked about my WOE and I kind of explained the down days vs. the up days. He responded very positively telling me about his experience since May of doing IF. His DD are 800 and up days about 2000.

He has been a long distance runner for many years but was finding that his muscle mass was decreasing and he was suspicious that his body was canibalizing muscle so he started to research. In the research he found out two things. One is the benefits of IF for health and strength. The next was that long distance running will decrease muscle mass if you don't intersperse it with other forms of exercise, limiting long runs to 1-2 per week. What he started doing (this is a lean, healthy, very fit man) in late May or early June was something called Sprint 8s. I had my first experience with them on Monday and will be going back to the gym today to have my 2nd of the week. A person should not do more than 2-3 per week, and the workout only takes 22 minutes start to finish. This healthy, fit guy has lost 25 pounds since June and has just turned into a block of solid muscle. He is not "dieting" and no one is really aware of anything except that he is really fit.

Here is a sprint 8 workout. It can be done running or biking but on a bike you are less likely to pull anything or hurt yourself.

*Warm up at an easy pace for 3 minutes (stretch a bit first, especially tops of legs and calves so you don't get cramps).

*At the 3 minute mark, sprint (all out as hard as you can at moderate resistance) for 30 seconds.

*After the sprint, rest at a very slow, easy pace on no resistance for 1 minute 30 seconds. This is just to keep your muscles warm so they don't cramp.

Repeat 8 times total (a total of 4 minutes of hard workout) then cool down for 3 minutes at the end.

Be careful when you stand up from the bike as your muscles will be wobbly and you won't believe how DESTROYED YOU ARE from a 20 minutes workout! Stretch, drink water, and don't eat for 1 hour after the workout to avoid a blood sugar spike. This encourages the metabolism to stay speeded up and promotes more production of HGH.

The first sprint won't be that hard but the next ones you will notice that the first 15 seconds are pretty good then you hit a wall and have to FORCE yourself to continue to the last 15 seconds (this is because the muscles metabolize sugar for the first 15 seconds and the last 15 seconds they are metabolizing fat and converting it to ATP and glucose for energy, a process that releases human growth hormone and promotes stronger immune system).

Watch your RPMs on a bike for the first time and try to stay close to that on each successive sprint but you will drop. I started at 90, by the end one I was down to 60 but PUSH HARD for that 30 seconds.

When you are done you will be beat, but after about 15-20 minutes you will get the best endorphine rush and you will feel incredible! I cannot brag about this exercise enough. I have not gotten endorphines from running for the longest time but I got them again from this workout!

Only do the 8s on an UD though or you will risk burning up muscle instead of building it.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Thanks, Christa, for this great post! A trainer gave me a printed out version of a workout very similar to this. It lasts 30 minutes with warm up and cool down and he calls it "The Heart Attack". I used to do it on the elliptical machine. You have motivated me to dig it out and do it.

How awesome you must have felt actually being able to talk to someone who is living the ADF lifestyle and getting such great results. So cool! Thanks for sharing this with us.
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:03 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Cool, I found out about these a few days ago!

I had been doing 20-30sec sprints (on my elliptical) with 30-40 second rests, but then I came across Dr Mercola's plan and the recommendation for 30sec sprints with 90sec rests. Boy, those 90 seconds go by quickly!!!

Thanks for the details about not eating afterwards for the HGH.

This is an interesting article; the title is a bit misleading, because it describes in detail how to do his "Peak Fitness Technique" & what kinds of exercise to do on days you don't do the sprints.
"Two Foods You Should Never, Ever Eat After Exercise" (fitness/mercola site)
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 08-23-2012 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: grammar
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Marking my spot. I am doing my own 4 minute HIIT! Would love to read how others are doing?!?

PJ, about the 90 seconds flying when hitting it!

sunday is offline   Reply With Quote