Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
Blood sugar questions

Can someone point me to a good site or tell me what numbers are considered 'good'? I've been searching on-line some but almost every site I look at says something different. :/

I checked mine for the first time today. I had gotten a meter and test strips for dd that she never used. The strips were getting ready to expire so I decided to use some. LOL

My morning number was 90. 3 hours later after my workout (and still no food) it was 84. And now, 2 hours after dinner it was 102 (dinner was chicken, green beans & corn bread with a bit of lemon curd). I've got a lot of test strips to use up and wonder when it is most useful to test. I want dh to try it as diabetes runs in his family.
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2012, 04:54 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
My DD has type 1 diabetes and she tests all the time LOL. She is only 11 though. Your numbers are good I don't know of any site to point you in the direction in, I visit children with diabetes. Don't think that is appropriate in your case though

When I had a routine blood sugar check only 3 years ago, my doctor told me she should have put me in the pre-diabetes category Luckily she didn't because I lost weight and have great numbers now Don't need to have the term pre-diabetes following me around.

You asked what good numbers are--I DO know that fasting blood sugars should be under 100. That would be your first thing in the morning blood sugar check. My DD is not usually under 100, but our goal is as close as possible to 100 first thing in the morning. She doesn't check after dosing with insulin so I don't know about after meals numbers. She checks her blood sugar before EVERY SINGLE MEAL or snack she eats. Talk about tiring. She is very weary of having to do this for the rest of her life.

Last edited by dawnyama; 08-23-2012 at 04:56 AM..
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Your numbers seem good, but to get a better picture, def test more often.

At first I tested every half hour after eating until the 2 hr mark. By doing this, I was able to notice that I tend to spike around 45 minutes post meal (when you finish, not start). And sometimes, those spikes could be in the 150's, and I'd still be under 120 at 2 hrs. So if I was only doing a 2 hr reading, I would have missed those, thought a meal was 'fine' when in reality, it wasn't.

You want to be under 120 at 2 hours after eating, under 100 fasting in the morning. But you also really never want to see a spike (or at least rarely) over 140.

bloodsugar101 has lots of great info, and what I feel are good numbers to follow. I tend to think the ADA has their numbers set too high. From one article I read (can't remember where) it said organ damage can occur with blood sugar levels over 140. So that's become my goal to stay below. That means, for me, no cake, ever. Because a piece of cake will send me over 170 easy. And it's still high 3 hrs after eating it.

15 minutes of walking with lots of arm swinging will bring that number down pretty fast if I do have one go that high, though. But by limiting my sugar and grain carbs, I can keep it from ever going there in the first place. I can still have sweets, I just have to make them with non-grain flours and a combo of coconut sugar and stevia.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I second Blood Sugar 101. I learn SO much from that site, even two years after my pre-D diagnosis.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #5

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
KathyL, if you are not diabetic those tests don't tell you too much. the numbers seem great and I don't think you will get any additional benefit from testing more often.

it might be interesting to test two hours after a REALLY carby dinner sometime, just for the heck of it, to see how it affects you.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
Okay....thanks for the info ladies. Very interesting, Tina, about not wanting to go above 140. I'm going to test next time I have something really sweet and see what it does to my numbers.
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:34 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<280/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
If you really want to see how a food affects you, test at 30 min & 45 min after eating.
(you could do 15 min too, if you want to use up your strips. )
I tend to have my "spike" between 15 & 30 min, and start coming down by 45.
(And I have Type 2 diabetes.)

Your numbers look great, though.
piratejenny is online now   Reply With Quote