Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: claireann
Stats: 190/183.8/140
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: August 2012
How long before you told?

Just read the other thread about telling your dr which led me to wonder how long it was before you told anyone you were on JUDDD and who you told? I've sort of told my husband but haven't gone into any details as I know he'll just think it's another one of my crazy short-lived weight loss plans that start off well and then fizzle out. I can imagine my friends and family thinking it was very extreme and maybe unhealthy (the minute you say the word fasting it seems to bring up all sorts of negative connotations) and I don't want to have anyone trying to talk me out of it so I don't think I'll be telling anyone until I have some good results to back it up.

Bursting to share it though
claireann is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: toomuchbooty
I recommend your watch the Horizon BBC documentary called "Eat, Fast and Live Longer". You can find it on youtube. The last segment of the program covers IF and it could help others understand. I showed it to my boyfriend and he thought it was brilliant...he even sent it to his parents because they were questioning this WOE.
toomuchbooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
I told my hubby and my sister right after like 3 days i think it was, it worked real fast for me and i was soo excited!!! Sincne then i try not to tell many due to they call it the starvation diet.. and then tell me how unhealthy it is bla blah blah .. Just like those folks who did atkins.. They know how many folks didnt agree with that diet and how it was ripped apart.. But ..Did it keep them from keeping on and getting healthier?? Nope they just did there thing and lost the weight and felt great.. So for me.. thats where i am at.. i dont tell .. i just keep em guessing!! My new thing i tell folks is this.. i am losing weight now from dedication and being comitted to eating healthy! Nuff said.. They really are just looking for a magic pill any way So tell who you feel comfy with.. and let the rest fall to the way side.. This is for you ! and You got this~~ WTG JUDDD ~
1995 190# Low fat
2012 225#
2012 found JUDDD
166# current 2014
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SlimNana
Stats: Age 54 5'6" Goal:135-140
WOE: IF 16/8 & 4:3
I told my hubby on my first DD while I was making a shake in the blender for my dinner, instead of eating what I had cooked for him. Luckily tonight on my DD #2 he's attending a business dinner, so I can drink my shake in peace...without having to touch, cook, smell & watch him eat his food. I'm still not sure how to best handle all that temptation at dinner time from here on out.

Last edited by SlimNana; 08-22-2012 at 03:09 PM..
SlimNana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
I told my DH when I started b/c he's doing LC and I had to explain how my thing would be a bit different.

Then, later the week I started, I had to go see my mom, a 6hr drive away. So I brought some 0 cal stuff with me, told them what I was doing, and we were fine.

I only tell people if it happens to be a DD and ppl are wondering why I'm not eating much, or why I choose a certain place for lunch or something.
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #6

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
I tell anyone who shows the slightest interest. Depending on their reaction, I will go into more or less detail. Everyone at work knows about my WOE and they see the results so they don't say anything negative. Several of them now have loved-ones doing the plan, or thinking about it. If they're planning a lunch, they always ask me if it's an UD or a DD and include me.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchbooty View Post
I recommend your watch the Horizon BBC documentary called "Eat, Fast and Live Longer". You can find it on youtube. The last segment of the program covers IF and it could help others understand. I showed it to my boyfriend and he thought it was brilliant...he even sent it to his parents because they were questioning this WOE.
Good idea, it was that documentary that put me onto the whole idea of JUDDD so I would love to get my husband to watch it. He's far more likely to take it seriously if the BBC tell him it's true

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
I told my hubby and my sister right after like 3 days i think it was, it worked real fast for me and i was soo excited!!! Sincne then i try not to tell many due to they call it the starvation diet.. and then tell me how unhealthy it is bla blah blah .. Just like those folks who did atkins.. They know how many folks didnt agree with that diet and how it was ripped apart.. But ..Did it keep them from keeping on and getting healthier?? Nope they just did there thing and lost the weight and felt great.. So for me.. thats where i am at.. i dont tell .. i just keep em guessing!! My new thing i tell folks is this.. i am losing weight now from dedication and being comitted to eating healthy! Nuff said.. They really are just looking for a magic pill any way So tell who you feel comfy with.. and let the rest fall to the way side.. This is for you ! and You got this~~ WTG JUDDD ~
I like it, let the results speak for themselves...now I just need to get some results!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimNana View Post
I told my hubby on my first DD while I was making a shake in the blender for my dinner, instead of eating what I had cooked for him. Luckily tonight on my DD #2 he's attending a business dinner, so I can drink my shake in peace...without having to touch, cook, smell & watch him eat his food. I'm still not sure how to best handle all that temptation at dinner time from here on out.
Oh me too, I was making dinner for my kids this evening and the smells were making my stomach growl like it was going to leave my body and find food for itself. The only thing that kept me going was the knowledge that I had 400 calories left to eat after they had finished their dinner and I could concentrate on my own meal. If I'd already eaten I think it would have been too much.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SlimNana
Stats: Age 54 5'6" Goal:135-140
WOE: IF 16/8 & 4:3
I better figure out a plan to cope with it before my next DD on Friday. Six out of town family members on my hubby's side are coming to stay with us for the whole weekend.
SlimNana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Whitlin'
Stats: 162/149/149
Start Date: March, 2009
I have always explained it by talking about the book, The Alternate Day Diet, by Dr. Johnson, to make sure I had credibility! But the Horizon program is an excellent talking-point, too - love it! The book is something I've been able to have here at my house if anyone happened to be here when I felt they questioned (or were just interested).

I don't consider myself to be fasting, so I don't believe I've ever used the word, "fasting" explaining my woe. I realize in the last couple years low calorie consumption has been included under some people's definition of "fasting". But I'd say most people still assume fasting means a total fast, which would probably make them question you more than they otherwise would.

Very nice to meet you, claireann!

Lost 13 pounds on JUDDD in 2009 and began happy maintenance. Slipped up in 2012, but JUDDD got me back to goal!
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:44 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
The only people in my life who know about my IF are hubby and sons. Hubs and one so no n do it with me. No one yet has ever questioned me. We already had converted to only eating organic, pastured, clean whole food so I guess my food choices were already made. Other family friends and coworkers know how we eat. A smaller meal isn't actually too noticeable. A salad is a salad whether the day is up or down. Real food that happens to be low fat and low carb every other day is just eating healthy, right?
When people grow accustomed to you eating fresh food and modest portions a down day just doesn't stand out.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:15 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Hi claireann!
I didn't tell anyone. Too afraid of jinxing myself, or something. About three months in, I did some family visiting. First to my Dad's, where his wife flipped when she saw me. (No one had noticed, where I live.) Now she's JUDDDing, and loving it. Next I visited my sister, who flipped. Now she's JUDDDing, and loving it. She calls every couple of days, leaving a message about how she hasn't been this light in five years.
It's gone viral.
Joyjoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:11 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Zoneish, Organic, GrassFed, Gluten-Free 5/13
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I've told people. I get mixed reactions. I mostly get concern about the "low days." Oh well. It's not my job to inform the world. I don't tell certain people.

In regards to cooking on DDs, I thought it would be difficult too, but I kind of like it. I keep a glass of sparkling water/juice (like 1 oz juice per 8 oz sparkling water) as a drink when I'm cooking. I allow myself to taste things to see if they are seasoned right along the way, and usually don't plan a meal cause I don't have to if I'm eating a few bites of what I'm making. It's crazy, but it is enough to satisfy my and I don't feel like I'm missing anything by not eating the end result.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:28 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Curvesgal
Stats: 197/126.6/125
WOE: JUDDDING
I told my DH before I stared but it went in one ear and out the other. Now he's so proud of me and he just beams when people say how great I look. I've told others but once I use the word "fasting" I get the blah, blah, blah on how unhealthy it is and the stress I put on my body. So now if anyone asked I just tell them I cut back on my food intake.
Curvesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have to say, I avoid the "fasting" term too... I say that I still stay pretty low carb, and I watch my calories. Some days are higher, some are lower, and it averages out to what most people would eat on a "diet", but mentally, you only diet every other day.

People seem to groove to the "every other day" thing, and the proof is standing right in front of them
Old 08-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: buttah
Stats: 189/137/136-140
WOE: peri-meno "corrective" R4
Start Date: LowCal/Dukan/JUDD 2/12-8/12, then 3 rounds rxHCG
Just had my check-up, and first of all, my bloodwork was astonishingly improved. When my doc commented on the improved "inflammation" number and how this is what the medical professional now really believes is the most important health indicator... I took the plunge.

I told her I was doing a form of IF (didn't mention JUDDD specifically). Her reply: There's a lot of great research on that. Congrats and keep it up - it's working!

And btw, I didn't even realize the blood test was going to include an inflammation marker! I know many doctors still merely look at cholesterol and leave it at that. I was encouraged that my doc is on the forefront.
buttah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimNana View Post
My wonderfully supportive husband and I have an agreement that on DDs he makes his own dinner--usually something that he loves that I can't stand. Or something from the freezer like a microwave meal. I eat my DD supper with him in front of the TV. (Yeah, we're a wild and crazy couple, we are...)

I notice he is also a bit sneaky about his eating on my DDs, which I think he does for my benefit, but I keep telling him that he's not on a diet, he doesn't have to do this!
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: midtownfg
Stats: 5'10" 260 at my highest/197.0/185
WOE: JUDDD with a mash of LC and Blood Type O
Start Date: August 12, 2012
Buttah - That is fabulous. Those are the kind of results that make people take notice.
midtownfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:04 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Welcome, midtown!

buttah - have you told your happy news in any other thread? I was just thinking the "chat" thread or "non scale victory" thread folks would sure be happy too, to get the chance to be excited for you!

Realized when I glanced the title again that I didn't really get to the point of your question about who and when we told.

I believe I'm older than you, . So here's my answer, in the form of a reassuring gift to you, claireann:

As you get older, you'll stop wondering what others will say when you express your thoughts. You'll start expecting others to be quiet and listen as you explain the way it IS. That is, if you choose to bother to explain at all.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:14 AM   #19
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
I don't ever use the word fasting. When people inquire, I merely state I am eating whole foods more, more fruits/veggies and I am calorie cycling. I don't feel I have to explain much from there. It's none of their business.

Dh started with me back on 04/18. He is down 37 pounds and I am down 17 both of us are almost at goal.
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Monica, I hope you always know I am thrilled with your journey.

But please read what I wrote to buttah and consider also sharing your husband's great news on another thread that may get more/different traffic, and inspire even more JUDDDers and newbies. We want to hear from him, too!

Both of you are doing so well, plus it is a benefit to each of you that the other's health has improved.

Last edited by Whitlin'; 08-23-2012 at 11:30 AM..
Old 08-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sdjade
Start Date: LC 10-2011, JUDDD 04-01-2012
I started April 1st and didn't tell anyone. About a month in, I got a comment from my husband like "have you changed your diet?". Guess he noticed the much higher amount of carbs I was having (every other day). He decided that he wanted to try it with me and we have now been successfully JUDDDing together since then!

While I try to avoid telling anyone about my diets, my DH loves to tell people. I stay away from the word "fasting" and go with "calorie cycling". Most people's response is "omg isn't that hard" and "I could never do that". I just tell them that it really is simple and has great results! I'd like to get my mom going, but I don't like to push too much.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:13 PM   #22
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitlin' View Post
Monica, I hope you always know I am thrilled with your journey.

But please read what I wrote to buttah and consider also sharing your husband's great news on another thread that may get more/different traffic, and inspire even more JUDDDers and newbies. We want to hear from him, too!

Both of you are doing so well, plus it is a benefit to each of you that the other's health has improved.
YOU are so kind girl! Thanks so much for your kind words. I have struggled with this as DH seems to expand the LIMITS of the plan and STILL loses weight! DANG MEN!!!!!!! I will look for that thread and share our story. DH won't post here, he is a FUDDY/DUDDY!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Thanks everyone, and thanks Buttah and Monica for sharing your results, as a newbie I just lap that stuff up, it's so encouraging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitlin' View Post
Realized when I glanced the title again that I didn't really get to the point of your question about who and when we told.

I believe I'm older than you, . So here's my answer, in the form of a reassuring gift to you, claireann:

As you get older, you'll stop wondering what others will say when you express your thoughts. You'll start expecting others to be quiet and listen as you explain the way it IS. That is, if you choose to bother to explain at all.
I love this! Thank you!

I think I'm just excited about what I've found and want to share it, but I don't want to have anyone rain on my parade yet so I'll keep it to myself for now. I'm just looking forward to the day someone notices a difference and asks what the secret is <== my little private daydream.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:51 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoWeigh
Stats: 58 Yrs. & Hypothyroid
Start Date: JUDDD April 1st January – March ate LC/LC
I told my husband, before I started. He, like me, was very skeptical that I could UP my calories by 1,000 every other day and lose any weight. Now he’s also a big fan of JUDDD. I told one other friend, who now does JUDDD her own way which is to say that she doesn’t count calories on UD or DD, she sort of guesses and hopes for the best. Actually, she’s made some progress!

The BIG question for me is WHEN will anyone NOTICE? Still waiting for that.
NoWeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:57 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I told my husband and daughter specifically about JUDDD. A couple other people who have asked specifically get told I'm "calorie cycling". Nobody else cares.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #26

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWeigh View Post
I told my husband, before I started. He, like me, was very skeptical that I could UP my calories by 1,000 every other day and lose any weight. Now he’s also a big fan of JUDDD. I told one other friend, who now does JUDDD her own way which is to say that she doesn’t count calories on UD or DD, she sort of guesses and hopes for the best. Actually, she’s made some progress!

Wear something figure flattering (rather than the baggy stuff I've been known to live in!), and people will notice. Honestly. Nobody notices when I have my old baggy clothes on, but when I'm wearing something sort of form-fitting, I get more comments than I'm really comfortable with at this stage.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Quote:

Holy cow you've lost over 60lbs! That must be making such a difference for you, I can't believe people aren't asking you about it. You're certainly inspiring me!
Old 08-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

how could you have lost SIXTY FREAKIN POUNDS and no one notices?

I agree with Dawn-- unless I lose around my face (which happens at first, and then less as I go on), people only comment when I wear figure skimming clothes.
Not tight, but not square and shapeless.

So-- get thee to the STORE and get just 1 new top, and I bet someone notices

S.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SavLexiMom
Stats: 5'7'' 282/210.4/150
WOE: Restarted JUDDD 11/27/12 at 217.8
DH and I talked about it for weeks before I actually started, but do far he is the only one who knows. My family knows I have been eating low carb all year, but I haven't been around them on a DD for them to notice my WOE.
SavLexiMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.7/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I don't use the word fasting since that seems to create alarm. I say I'm calorie cycling and if someone presses and a lot of people have since I've lost 44 lbs in less than 6 mos. I say google The Alternate Day Diet, by Dr. Johnson. I have the book, too.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote