Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Uh Oh. What's Going On Here? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/781281-uh-oh-whats-going-here.html)

stephdray 08-21-2012 07:50 AM

Uh Oh. What's Going On Here?

So, this week the scale has been plummeting. Last time I checked I was down five pounds in four days--losing weight even after UDs.

That would seem like a good thing. Especially since I'm on like, week seven of JUDDDing. The problem? Hunger has been totally out of friggen control this week.

I held tight by the skin of my teeth two DD's in a row, including Sunday, which was probably the worst DD I've had since the first one. I was jittery, shaky, and exhausted at the same time. (It didn't help I was doing through work stress as well.) I executed a perfect DD, but I felt awful. Really awful. And I had trouble sleeping both the night before and after it.

Yesterday was an Up Day and that was actually kind of lousy too because even with 2400 calories to spend, according to the JUDDD calculator, I was famished. No appetite control or tummy shrinking seemed to be in play. Once I was able to assure myself that I wasn't actually binge-eating, that I really was hungry, I ate up over my calories. About 2600! I didn't feel badly about it--it was a conscious choice and I counted every morsel.

And I finally felt a little better last night.

But this morning, it's only 9:46 and I'm fighting gnawing hunger again. I ate 200 calories trying to tame it with breakfast, but it doesn't seem to have had any impact at all.

What part of my JUDDD journey is this? Is there a 7-week point at which the body flips out? It's possible that I'm coming up upon TOM but that is the only thing I can think of. And also, doesn't one normally gain weight at that point from increased water retention?

Carly 08-21-2012 07:56 AM

TOM can be EVIL. I'm battling the PMS right now- which involves :stars: hunger, fatigue and the nasties (bad mood). I'm bloated and have to wee wee every 20 minutes which is bad since I see each patient for a 45 minute session. Our server is down so I can't access our electronic medical record or even Outlook where my entire life is scheduled. Normally I would fly through this on a DD, but not a DD/PMS. Once TOM actually arrives I'll be fine.

KeirasMom 08-21-2012 08:49 AM

I'm thinking TOM too, though I haven't had a visit from him in years. I have ebbs and flows with hunger. Mostly the DDs are fine, but sometimes I'm just ravenous. I fight through it and usually have good losses when that's the case, but I'm pretty sure it's TOM making himself known even though I haven't had the other TOM symptoms. I had my IUD removed a few weeks ago though, so I'm sure TOM's going to be rearing his ugly head again soon. :annoyed:

Some women here allow extra calories during those ravenous times and it doesn't seem to hurt them any. I don't, but that's just because I'm stubborn. :D

Yam-Yam 08-21-2012 09:05 AM

Hmmm... I wonder if anyone remembers a thread a while back where there was a discussion of something happening around or near the 8th week of JUDD. I seem to remember increased appetite for a time. I can't remember the name of the thread or I would find it and post a link.

I'll look around and see if I can find it. Hang in there! and, Gee! -5 in 4 days? That's, WOW.

stephdray 08-21-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yam-Yam (Post 15887758)
Hmmm... I wonder if anyone remembers a thread a while back where there was a discussion of something happening around or near the 8th week of JUDD. I seem to remember increased appetite for a time. I can't remember the name of the thread or I would find it and post a link.

I'll look around and see if I can find it. Hang in there! and, Gee! -5 in 4 days? That's, WOW.

Thanks Yam-Yam. And don't be too impressed. The scale bounced up this morning. Who knows where I'm going to land.

piratejenny 08-21-2012 09:37 AM

IIRC, Dr J says something about increased appetite around Week 8, and the need to count calories rather than "eat to satiety".

I often lose a pound or two before TOM, but gain it back during. And if I have a ridiculously hungry day, TOM (or ov) almost always shows up that night or the next day--sometimes ahead of schedule, so I'm never prepared for the hungries.:annoyed:

sorenkkg 08-21-2012 10:06 AM

Agree with above-- the book says something (or maybe it was a thread about the book...) about week 8.

I also get VERY HUNGRY in PMS, but not in TOM. This week is PMS-- I totally blew the weekend, both the DD and the UD (both were UUAD)... but my DD yesterday was tolerable, I did about 550 cal, and I'm down 2lbs today from yesterday.

Steph-- I don't think 2600 when you're shooting for 2400 is bad. I think you have a lot of good days, or have had over the past 7 weeks.

it's a journey (she says to herself also). It's nice to lose 1/2lb a day, but it's not always going to happen.
Keep going-- hungry days, less hungry days... you're learning something new about yourself and about a new W.O.E. each day.

And if it is PMS/TOM causing your issues, you'd need another cycle or 2 before you can figure out what your pattern is, and then plan for it. (I'm thinking, lots of celery?)

:hugs: S.

Spoonful of Happiness 08-21-2012 10:46 AM

Another PMS-eater here!
I've been losing really well this past week but yesterday? Um. Wow.
Frozen yoghurt, ice cream, chocolates... Oh the shame =/
And up 3 pounds this morning. :(

ouizoid 08-21-2012 10:59 AM

How about making yourself some insanely filling yet insanely lowcarb treats? I make a kind of "oatmeal" with wheatbran, oatfiber, and eggwhites and sweetener for about 40 calories. Or psyllium pancakes (google my name and the recipe should show up, tho it is also under the DD recipes). Or my superlow OMM (same place). Or some glucomannan puddding. When I am super hungry, I really can't just gut it through, but I can fill the emptiness with fiber and bulk. I agree with everyone else that PMS makes ya want to gnaw yer arm off.

Yam-Yam 08-21-2012 12:29 PM

I don't know if these two threads will be helpful to you or if they are even the ones I was thinking of. From re-reading, it seems like JUDDers either get hungrier around week 8 or less hungry. Shows how individual we are.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...questions.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...ic-survey.html

Babsbabs 08-21-2012 12:52 PM

I remember that at the two month mark I was really hungry. I remeber it well as that was when there was quite a bit of discussion on the site of people having difficulties eating all of their UD calories. I can remeber wishing that they could send those calories my way:laugh: I actually didn't get the appetite suppression of JUDDD until the third month and then it was a huge change for me. Not sure why It took so long to kick in for me:dunno: but now I have it all the time except of course right before TOM. The Resveratrol supplement also seems to take the edge off of my hunger and I probably started taking it around the three month point so not sure how much that helped. Went without it on my 3 week holiday and still had good appetite control so not sure. If you are losing weight and hungry it could be that your metabolism is in high gear. I do know that for me that when I was having trouble with appetite on JUDDD my weight was really moving down overall. Now I have less appetite but the bounces are really small and predictable but I am also not trying to lose anymore so it is difficult to sort how much all of those variables interact. I know that with JUDDD my body and thinking definitely changed and there were times that one thing or another was difficult but I just tried to do the best I could and eventually it just all got easier until it became my normal.