Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Circadian Rhythm Reset

Hi girls and boys! I don't know if you will be interested in this, but figured I could save some of you a bit of time by posting this for your review.

Dr. J. has been kind to share information with me regarding a potential addition to your JUDDD journey. As you know, new science comes in all the time that can either complement a disclipline or alter it for the future.

In this case, I filled Dr. J. in on my progress since finishing cancer treatment and how things were going for me with JUDDD. I communicated that I'm having quite a bit of hunger issues and he was so nice to share some insight and a couple of studies that might interest me. (I will share those studies and links later, ok?)

So anyway, Dr. J. shared information about the effect of Circadian Rhythms on weight loss, and several disease states such as: cancer, inflammation, diabetes, obesity, chronic sleep pattern disturbances, mental health, and more. Specifically, he talked about how re-setting your circadian rhythm can have a noticiable effect on appetite suppression.

I read the two studies he sent and they made so much sense. I also figured what did I have to lose? One of my big objectives in lifestyle moderation is to reduce inflammation and heck, let's face it, if I can keep the appetite on the down-low it's a big plus! I'm a volume eater! I LOVE big plates of food.

So he suggested I might give the Circadian Rhythm Reset (CRR) a go and see how it did for me. You can read about it ad nauseum on my JUDDD Menus Blog but I will truncate it for you here, too. Per the routine: I stopped JUDDD for 3 weeks. For 3 weeks, I followed the CRR protocol. Each week I took official weights and measurments.

The results were confusing to me. I wasn't really losing weight and in the beginning, I actually gained! But amazingly, I lost inches - inches that hadn't budged in months - even on my Foobs!

For those who don't know, my boobs are not boobs. They are a cleaned up chest wall with very little muscle left on it and a very thin layer of skin on top of that chest wall.

Between those two layers are 2 cadaver muscle implants that hold up 2 bags of saline. Each bag is full of 850ml of water. So the loss of inches in my boobs means I lost back tissue and tissue in my "dog ears", which are hunks of skin and fat the Wizard of Plastic Surgery left for the reconstruction surgery that will happen as part of the Pootification of Bionic Woman. (We can rebuild her!)

So here's how the numbers shook out:

Start 7.23.12: Wt 225.4lbs 42 Bust (Foobs with 850ml Water in each side) - 38 Waist - 48 Hips
Wk2 7.30.12: Wt 227.0lbs 41 Bust (Foobs with 850ml Water in each side) - 37.5 Waist - 47 Hips
Wk3 8.6.12: Wt 228.2lbs 40.5 Bust (Foobs with 850ml Water each side) - 37 Waist - 46.5 Hips
Wk4 8.12.12: Wt 225.8lbs 40 Bust (Foobs with 850ml Water each side) - 37 Waist - 46 Hips

Ending Results: Wt (+.4lbs) Bust (-2") Waist (-1") Hips (-2")

After the CRR, I immediately resumed JUDDDing at the 20% restriction rate. So far this week I've unofficially lost 3lbs. I will take official weight and measurements tomorrow. Hope my weight doesn't bounce up between now and then!

But wait, there's more! I'm continuing to keep my CRR cycle while adding low carb JUDDD into the mix. I really think I feel improvement in inflammation already. I believe I'm sleeping better and having an easier time falling asleep for the most part.

Since this post is so long, I may have to add the studies in a second post. There is yet more information to share with you that Dr. J. related this morning regarding complete cessation of light for up to 12hours during the night. Yes, it sounds hard or impossible! But the rewards for me could be huge if the research on melatonin is as significant as it seems as it relates to cancer and cancer prevention.

So I will start the CRR protocol in the next post underneath this!

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
the condiment queen

Circadian Rhythm Reset - Protocol

Step 1 - Stop JUDDDing for 3 weeks. Eat to satiety only. Don't count anything. Just eat to satiety. (I of course, kept low carb. It's what I do. It's how I roll.)

Step 2 - For 3 weeks adhere to the following wake - sleep schedule.

Go to bed at the same time every night. 11pm lights out and in bed, ready to fall asleep quickly!
Wake up at the same time every morning. Whatever that time is? Do it every day - weekends too!

Step 3 - For 3 weeks adhere to the following feeding window. Absolutely no food after 7pm at night.
11am - Eating window opens.
7pm - Eating window closes.

Step 4 - At the end of 3 weeks, resume JUDDDing per your previous style but MAINTAIN your CRR cycles for wake/sleep and MAINTAIN your eating window at whatever JUDDD caloric restriction percent that you've determined works for you.

If I was gonna be all scientific about this, I would just say, "Here's what I did..." And not give you any pre-conceived ideas about what I "expect" to happen. But hey, I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on the internet. This information comes to you for grins and giggles and purposes of information only! They do not and cannot take the place of working with your personal physician to determine what therapies are safe for you to follow!

So get this now. I'm just some nut on the internet who had breast cancer and who is now dancing with NED (No Evidence of Disease) as fast as I can! I have no medical degree, am not an allied health worker, nor a nutritionist or R.D. In fact you could say most days I have trouble distinguishing s*it from shinola! So read this with one eye squinted and the one ear tuned to Toby Kieth's Red Solo Cup!

I will post the studies in the next post!

Last edited by pooticus; 08-19-2012 at 01:23 PM..
Old 08-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
the condiment queen

FASEB Study involving Circadian Rhythm Research (Click to enlarge images):

If you want the entire article you can come email me on my blog and I will send those to you. It's a 10 page study. Or I would be happy to send it to Dottie and she can post the entire study here in this thread. Whatever you guys want.

Last edited by pooticus; 08-19-2012 at 01:57 PM..
Old 08-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
the condiment queen

Cell Press Study on Timed Feedings (Click to enlarge images.)

Last edited by pooticus; 08-19-2012 at 01:57 PM..
Old 08-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
the condiment queen

The last part about this envolves a link to a company that sells products (not in competition with LCF), but I still can't post the link. But google "low blue lights" and that sight will discuss the effect of using blue blocking glasses at night to increase your melatonin production and effectively increase your total virtual time in darkness.

I know it sounds like malarky. But if you read, you will see it makes pretty good sense. And for $80 or so, it could help you fight off inflammation, lose weight, fight cancer...etc. I actually asked for a pair of the glasses for my 50th birthday present! Haha. I will be "styling"!

So look. I am not affiliated with the company. Neither is Dr. J. I'm sure there are also other companies out there selling glasses. The advantage to wearing the glasses is that if you wake up and turn on or see a blue light, it will negate that night's worth of melatonin production...

Here is an excerpt from Dr. J - regarding blocking blue light. He is very knowledgeable!
"Exposure to light is the other major factor affecting circadian rhythm. Our built-in brain clock works to regulate our metabolism on a 24 hr. cycle, with periods of dark and light being 12 hours each.

We are intended to be active during the day and asleep at night. If we are exposed to artificial light after dark, our internal clock is disturbed and our normal metabolism is disrupted. We develop generalized inflammation in our bodies which causes disease---cancer, diabetes, heart disease, etc.

Artificial light after dark is the culprit in causing us to be sick. Light is a spectrum of different wavelengths, but only blue light waves affect our internal clocks. Blue light affects specialized cells in the retina which then act on our brain clocks and affect the circadian metabolic rhythm.

Computer screens, TVs, incandescent and fluorescent lights all put out blue light.

Wearing blue-light-blocking glasses at night probably is beneficial. A company named *can't link to you on this* makes blue light filtering glasses, no-blue-light light bulbs etc."
Old 08-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #6
the condiment queen

Anyway, hope this helps! I'm 3lbs lighter and 5" smaller in 1 month. I think those are great results!
Old 08-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Thanks for posting this. Are you sleeping better? I know my weight loss slows when my sleep is disrupted and I will lose better if I can ocasionally sleep through the night.

Thanks again and I will try to get to those studies.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I'll enjoy reading the links, Pooti, and thanks so much for sharing this!

I'm a HUGE HUGE believer in the value of following our natural circadian rhythms to the benefit, support, and maintenance of our good health, both physically and mentally, so I'll look forward to reading from your posts. Thanks again.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:30 PM   #9
the condiment queen

Hey girls! You're welcome. The real thanks goes to Dr. J. for turnin' us onto the studies so we can make informed decisions about our lifestyles!

Carly, yes, I'm sleeping better.

I fall asleep pretty quickly now (within about 10 minutes of laying down). I used to have big issues staying asleep due to pain. I could fall asleep fairly easily (but late late at night), then wake about every 2 hours because of pain. I now am only waking 1 or 2 times per night and getting in at least 1 episode of a 3-4hour sleep. That's HUGE for me! I will look forward to the time when I can sleep through the night uninterrupted! Maybe for me the answer will be the blue-glasses as a big part of it?! Who knows? We'll see. I'm just a giant petri dish waiting to happen!

Oh and yes, this week I've lost 3 lbs and over this past month have lost fat. I've lost 5inches in the last month:

-2 inches in the Foobs
-1 inch in the waist
-2 inches in the behonkus

SCORE!

Last edited by pooticus; 08-19-2012 at 02:32 PM..
Old 08-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Thanks so much for taking the time to share all this, Pootie!

I've been on a similar path the last couple weeks--I was even looking up "blue-blocking glasses" last night!!!

Many of the paleo peeps are into this, and I read on a few blogs that any amber-lensed sunglasses or safety/ski goggles etc block blue light. IDK if this will work or just make our families think we're crazy...lol...but there are a lot of options out there for about $10-15.

They also said that your skin gets signals from blue light. So wearing pants/long-sleeved shirts at night might help as well?

My house is really, really dark, even on the sunniest days. So I'm going to try to get outside for a while in the morning because exposure to blue light early in the day is supposed to help with the circadian rhythm, too.

I've had to take a hiatus from JUDDD a couple times due to insomnia.
(I *have* to eat a lot of protein as soon as possible after I wake up;
it both gets my blood sugar into a normal range and helps me sleep at night.)

I wasn't Googling "circadian rhythm" so much as "cortisol + insomnia", as well as info about adrenal fatigue/imbalance.
But it led me to a lot of the same information.
When my insomnia is really bad, it feels like it cancels out any of my attempts at weight loss.
According to the studies, good sleep in & of itself might/should make us healthier & thinner!!!
So I'm really, really working on that.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

PS: regarding Step #3, does the window *have* to be from 11am-7pm?
Or does Dr J just recommend an 8 hour window that ends before 7pm?
Old 08-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #12
the condiment queen

Jenny my understanding, even though we didn't discuss that specifically is that there needs to be a fasting period of at minimum, 16 hours, ending no later than 7 pm. at night.

Cool info about the glasses!! Also about th asociation of blue light and skin!
Old 08-19-2012, 03:36 PM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Well, I'll be anxiously waiting to hear if sleep continues to improve. I have this sleepwalking/ sleepeating issue. This month makes it 15 years with this problem. I'm doing much, much better than I ever have but I'm open to new ways of correcting it permenantly. I have a great deal of pain too, but I notice it more during the day then at night.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I have had an overwhelming day, but can't tell you how EXCITED I am to have this info!!!

Can't thank you enough!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
What great info! We shut everthing down in our house at night so no light exists and power isn't flowing. Hubbys back surgeon recommended this about a decade ago for sleep-pain issues. Dr mercola has talked about this for years. Makes a huge difference. I'm trying to find reasonably priced orange light book lights for early evening. Maybe the blue blocker glasses would be an answer for now
I know I go to sleep and wake at the exact same time every day unless I violate my own rhythms and boy do I pay for that if I mess up.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
Thank you!! I'm so grateful you shared this info. I'm considering trying this to see if it can help with my sleep or lack of sleep!
Jbinme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wiiiifit
Stats: 20/12/8
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: Feb 2012
OK. This is really interesting to me. I have had sleep issues ALL my life since my teenage years. But, the thing is that I cannot possibly go to sleep at 11pm. This has been a problem exacerbated by way too many years of 2nd and 3rd shift work. If I am lucky, I can sleep by 2am. Sometimes it is worse. So, what happens if 11 rolls around and you cannot sleep? I can tell you what will happen for me. I can lay in bed for hours; but I will only toss and turn and get frustrated and NOT sleep.

Was this any kind of issue for you in your 3 weeks? If it happens (and it will happen for me) what are you supposed to do?
wiiiifit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #18
the condiment queen

Wiiifit, you should look at the info on the glasses. It suggested doing the therapy in intervals. It will explain it better than I can.

I didn't have much problem...the first couple of nights and then the last couple of nights due to worry about doctor's appointments.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

wii--if I may make a suggestion:
Maybe try just going to bed 15 minutes earlier every night, and getting up 15 minutes earlier. Or if that's too fast, then change every 2-3 nights.

I have some of the same problems
(night owl in my 20s, worked 2nd shift in my 30s, feel "lucky" if I fall asleep by 2am...plus have bipolar disorder which causes abnormal cortisol levels & insomnia).

On the rare occasions that I feel sleepy at a "normal" hour like 10 or 11, I often fall asleep for either 10-20 minutes and then am up til 4am, or I only sleep til 2 or 3am and that's it; I can't go back to sleep!

If a person feels an increase in energy in the evening (not just the habit of staying up late), they may be experiencing "reverse cortisol curve". Instead of cortisol peaking in the morning & giving you energy for the day, it's peaking at night and preventing the body from making melatonin.

There are many supplements said to reduce cortisol, such as rhodiola, phosphatidylserine, holy basil, Vitamin C.

I'm also taking l-theanine & melatonin right now, to help me get sleepy at night.

If you don't wish to take supplements, Google "reduce cortisol naturally" to find some tips on lifestyle changes, exercise, etc that may help.

Also, it's a big part of the Paleo lifestyle. If you're interested in blogs like Mark's Daily Apple, you can find lots of articles and forum discussions on how to reset your sleep pattern.

A couple weeks ago, I wasn't falling asleep til 4am. This past week I've been falling asleep around 2am. I have to start getting up at 7am this week, so I hope that will help me go to bed earlier!
Old 08-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Whitlin'
Stats: 162/149/149
Start Date: March, 2009
Thank you, pooticus! Much appreciation and super good wishes.

It seems to me everything I read or hear from Dr. Johnson helps me in some way! I've gotten so I drop everything to check out whatever he says with full attention.

You seem pretty sharp, too!

Quote:
Jenny my understanding, even though we didn't discuss that specifically is that there needs to be a fasting period of at minimum, 16 hours, ending no later than 7 pm. at night.
Didn't you mean that the fasting period should BEGIN no later than 7 pm at night? (forgive obvious nit-pickiness please, but I was thinking someone might read the thread quickly and get confused)

I would assume that with various areas on or off of daylight savings time, and with dusk/dawn coming at different times in different seasons, the 11 o'clock bedtime is negotiable for the individual person's needs. Like Jenny, my mornings are about to start at a completely new time to me. School bell schedule for our household changes 2 hours from last year - yikes.

Lost 13 pounds on JUDDD in 2009 and began happy maintenance. Slipped up in 2012, but JUDDD got me back to goal!
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #21
the condiment queen

Yes Whitlin' - my stupid shorthand again! The feeding window ends at 7pm! The fasting period would begin at 7pm!
Old 08-19-2012, 10:45 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wiiiifit
Stats: 20/12/8
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
wii--if I may make a suggestion:
Maybe try just going to bed 15 minutes earlier every night, and getting up 15 minutes earlier. Or if that's too fast, then change every 2-3 nights.

I have some of the same problems
(night owl in my 20s, worked 2nd shift in my 30s, feel "lucky" if I fall asleep by 2am...plus have bipolar disorder which causes abnormal cortisol levels & insomnia).

On the rare occasions that I feel sleepy at a "normal" hour like 10 or 11, I often fall asleep for either 10-20 minutes and then am up til 4am, or I only sleep til 2 or 3am and that's it; I can't go back to sleep!

If a person feels an increase in energy in the evening (not just the habit of staying up late), they may be experiencing "reverse cortisol curve". Instead of cortisol peaking in the morning & giving you energy for the day, it's peaking at night and preventing the body from making melatonin.

There are many supplements said to reduce cortisol, such as rhodiola, phosphatidylserine, holy basil, Vitamin C.

I'm also taking l-theanine & melatonin right now, to help me get sleepy at night.

If you don't wish to take supplements, Google "reduce cortisol naturally" to find some tips on lifestyle changes, exercise, etc that may help.

Also, it's a big part of the Paleo lifestyle. If you're interested in blogs like Mark's Daily Apple, you can find lots of articles and forum discussions on how to reset your sleep pattern.

A couple weeks ago, I wasn't falling asleep til 4am. This past week I've been falling asleep around 2am. I have to start getting up at 7am this week, so I hope that will help me go to bed earlier!
Moving up the schedule gradually is something I have tried many times without success. Even getting up early on a regular basis does not help me. My body would not adjust even after a year of the early morning schedule.
even while I was pregnant, exhausted and working first shift. I would go to sleep at 1am and get up at 6 and be this zombie pregnant grouch at work ALL the time.

The supplements and reducing cortisol are things I haven't ever tried. Well, I have taken Vitamin C, but none of the others. PJ, it sounds like our sleep issues are very similar. I think we might have the same type of insulin issues, too. I guess I never really considered those to be related, though. Very interesting. Thanks. I will have to do some reading up on cortisol.
wiiiifit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:36 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiiiifit View Post
Moving up the schedule gradually is something I have tried many times without success. Even getting up early on a regular basis does not help me. My body would not adjust even after a year of the early morning schedule.
even while I was pregnant, exhausted and working first shift. I would go to sleep at 1am and get up at 6 and be this zombie pregnant grouch at work ALL the time.
Ugh, that stinks!!!
I was trying to get to bed early last night and maybe didn't think my answer through very well. Of course, I have tried the same thing, too. And I might have slept "normally" for a few nights, only to have one of the disruptions I mentioned before.

Well, I think we insomniacs really have to find ways to address cortisol/adrenal issues; we can't just "get into the habit" of falling asleep earlier.

For years & years I have resisted using melatonin or sleeping aids.
But lately I've been trying them out a little bit.

Last night I got to sleep "early" (midnight) but woke up at 1am. I took 1/2 a Unisom and slept til 6:45.

I really like Unisom! It doesn't feel like I'm sleepy, but as soon as I lie down, I fall asleep. I hope it's not bad for me.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:28 AM   #24
the condiment queen

The blue blocking sunglasses discusses this issue ladies. (I hope this is LCF legal.) But here's what one of the anecdotes says on their site and what they claim about insomnia and even BPD.

Exerpt from the one of the companies selling low blue light glasses:

"Money Back Guarantee If wearing our glasses does not improve your sleep, return them within 30 days and we will refund your money. What one mother wrote to us: "My husband and I want to thank you for the miracle that you have brought to our family. We have four great kids, and our youngest had a terrible time falling asleep at night. Dr. Gonzalez suggested the glasses, and our 6 year old has been wearing them now for over two months. We noticed a big difference in just 3 days! Prior to using the glasses, our youngest could not fall asleep before 11:30 pm, and he slept until at least 10:30 in the morning. Waking him for school was literally like waking the dead. It was impossible. Now, he falls asleep by 8:30 pm with ease and is eager to wake up for school at 7:00. He is energetic all day.

What a gift you have given to us. My kids are in 4 different schools, and I have started to recommend the glasses to various administrators and teachers because it is a shame for other kids to suffer.

Thank you! Keep up the research!"
Click on “Products" above to buy glasses
Benefits of controlling blue light.

The main conditions where controlling blue light entering the eyes can improve wellness include improved sleep, improved control of mood for people with bipolar disorder, and avoiding depression during pregnancy and after the baby arrives (postpartum depression). Some young people with ADHD have also reported reduction in symptoms that resulted from improved sleep when controlling light with amber glasses (that block blue light) in the time preceding bedtime. One ADHD mother reported her son awakening feeling happy for the fist time in his life after using blue light blocking glasses in the evening to help him fall asleep at an earlier hour.

Improved Sleep

A number of people with longstanding insomnia (persistent insomnia) have reported being able to develop a normal sleep pattern by using amber glasses that block just the blue light. One doctor gave glasses that block blue light to three of her patients with histories of persistent insomnia. She reported being in awe that all three were now sleeping like babies. Thousands of amber glasses that block blue light have been sold to people with sleep problems through this website with a money back guarantee. About 85% of those with insomnia find the amber glasses help them sleep. The amber glasses work by blocking the blue light that cause suppression of melatonin, the sleep hormone. The amber glasses can also produce a shift in the circadian rhythm to an earlier hour. For people who suffer from delayed sleep phase syndrome (DSPS) in which they are used to staying up most of the night, blocking the blue rays may help them advance their circadian rhythm. Some people never produce much melatonin. Those people may not get a benefit to their sleep by wearing blue light blocking amber glasses. Most people with sleep problems who purchase the blue light blocking glasses find they begin seeing a benefit within a few days. It may depend on how far they need to shift their circadian rhythm. Stimulating an earlier flow of melatonin by blocking blue light in the evening is accomplished by advancing the circadian rhythm (setting the internal clock to an earlier hour). This is similar to accommodating to a time zone change (jet lag) and requires a day or two for each time zone change. If you are used to going to bed at 1:00A.M., and want to get to sleep at 11:00 P.M., it may take at least two evenings of putting on the blue light blocking glasses at 9:00P.M. Moving the circadian rhythm an hour per night may work better than trying to move back the internal clock all at once."
Old 08-20-2012, 08:38 AM   #25
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I often wake several times per night, always have, and it used to be really hard for me to get back to sleep. Additionally, I get up between 4:00 a.m. and 5:00 a.m., no matter what time I go to sleep. I finally adjusted my bedtime and now go to bed before 9:00 p.m. most nights (don't laugh!). I still wake up several times per night, and that's okay because I take medication in the middle of the night anyway, but I'm able to get back to sleep with much less difficulty. I think listening to your body and doing what it asks of you is important. I'm thinking maybe this is just my own circadian rhythm and I had to follow it before I got better sleep. I also have a congenital spinal fusion and often have pain. I suspect that's the only thing still waking me during the night.

Don't get me wrong, it's still not perfect, but it's much better. I'm really interested in all the research you've been so generous to share with us Pootie! Thank you for taking the time.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Thanks for the interesting info. I had ready something about blue light several years ago and started covering my clock radio although I have never had problems sleeping. I had also read not to turn on a bright overhead light if you get up to go to the bathroom during the night since it could affect being able to go back to sleep easily. So I don't ever do that anymore either.

I am one of those very fortunate people that can sleep anywhere, anyhow. I can even sleep in a livestock barn at the state fair with all of the lights still on and animals making noises. If I am tired I conk right out. I just hope this lasts the rest of my life.

I really hope everyone that has trouble sleeping can get some relief by checking out the light issues.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Whitlin'
Stats: 162/149/149
Start Date: March, 2009
Quote:
I... ..now go to bed before 9:00 p.m. most nights (don't laugh!).
I am so NOT laughing. Respect.

Not only will our household soon have a school bell schedule 2 hours earlier than we've had in years, there are also new traffic problems that will slow the "approach" down to a crawl. Also, (according to the Stanford University Sleep Study) in the teen years the amount of sleep necessary goes UP to an average of 9 hours 30 minutes, as opposed to the 8 hours needed by the average 9- or 10-year-old. I'm really not sure that I can allow our household to still be humming AT ALL by 10:00 p.m.

WE need !

So thanks for all this information!

Last edited by Whitlin'; 08-20-2012 at 10:45 AM..
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
I don't know if I missed you saying this Pooti, but I downloaded F.lux to all my computers a couple of years ago. Eliminates all blue light from dusk to dawn. Great program that did wonders for my sleep
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, I meant to mention the f.lux, too. I don't know if it helps me sleep, but I do love it; I hate a really bright computer screen at night!

I found this "hint" to resetting your circadian rhythm:
Stop eating 12-16 hours before you want to wake up.
This is basically what Pooti/Dr J said to do (8-hour eating window, 16-hour fasting),
but I hadn't made the connection that you could time it to help you wake up!!!
How to Naturally Reset Your Sleep Cycle in One Night | Wise Bread
Old 08-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
MArking my place to read later
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote