Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 11:35 PM   #61
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: C'Marie
Stats: 270/down 110-ish/ goal 147
WOE: hCG Rx shots/JUDDD maintain
Start Date: 1/4/2010 Now R9 P2
Well, I was super tired this morning, struggled to get my day going, ate too much at dinner, and now I'm awake. UGH. I will decide to take something or not here pretty soon. I cannot afford another sleepless night.
C'Marie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2012, 11:37 AM   #62
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
I'm making a little progress...all this week I have fallen asleep by 1:30 or 2am.
Compared to 4-5am, that's good!

The last 2 nights I didn't even take melatonin.
I take all kinds of supplements, but I'm very suspicious of that stuff.

This means I've only gotten about 5 hours of sleep, but I didn't take a nap yesterday (thought I would) and don't feel tired today.

I wore the glasses for at least 3-4 hours a few nights without getting sleepy, although I did start yawning around 10pm.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #63
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

C'Marie & other chronic insomniacs--Pooti quoted this from the blue-light-blocking glasses (post #24):

Quote:
Some people never produce much melatonin. Those people may not get a benefit to their sleep by wearing blue light blocking amber glasses.
I've been trying not to dwell on it too much, because it seems so hopeless.
I mean, it's one thing if you're producing melatonin & cortisol at the wrong times of day; maybe you can re-train yourself. But if you don't/can't produce enough melatonin anyway...?!!! Will anything ever help?

Of course, this is from a sunglasses website, not a medical resource, so maybe they're saying that in case some customers are disappointed. Maybe everyone *can* produce enough melatonin, given the right circumstances...I have to look that up.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebeads View Post
I would also like to know if taking melatonin consistently builds up a better melatonin "response" for lack of a better word ( I am not in the medical field, just a "civilian") or is the supplement just there when you take it and not when you don't.
I've read in a couple places that when you take melatonin regularly, your body starts making less. So, I don't think that it "builds up".

However, I've also read that some people just don't make enough melatonin...and so far, I haven't found out if there's a way to stimulate your body to make more (not just reset when you make it, if your circadian rhythm is off). So if you're not making enough or making any at all, taking it seems like it would be a good idea.

As I'm writing this, it's sounding kind of like insulin! If you don't make it, you need to take it. But you could be making enough, and be insulin resistant.

OTOH, I have read that L-tryptophan is converted into 5-HTP, which is converted into serotonin, which is converted into melatonin.

So some people have more success taking l-tryptophan and/or 5-HTP.

Since L-tryptophan is an amino acid, not a hormone, perhaps it would be safer to take.

I took it a couple years ago, but don't really remember my results.
I think it made me a little groggy in the morning. But it might be worth another try.

I know that too much serotonin can lead to manic episodes, for me...but too little = insomnia...great! This is awesome!!!
Old 08-25-2012, 08:26 AM   #65
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patlaf
Stats: start 226/178/145
WOE: Atkins
Poot, you rock. Any suggestions as to what to do with a DH who has to turn the bedroom light on when he comes to bed and has to have a night light in the bathroom. Last night I wandered into the bathroom with my sleep mask on and almost fell into the bathtub.

This thread is a keeper. You are one amazing superwoman with all the things you manage to cram into 24 hours. If you ever find the time or the inclination to go into politics, you would get my write-in vote for President.

Pat
Patlaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:26 AM   #66
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 19, 2011
I Vote For Pooti.
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #67
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Pooti for Prez!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:07 PM   #68
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Ha! You guys are nutz! Nutz are good!

Pat, you can find amber night lights or low blue night lights to plug into your outlets. Don't let DH turn those regular lights on! They have the nightlights at the low blue light website and I'm sure there are other sites with them that may even be cheaper. Jenny found low blue sunglasses at some place on the net for $10!!! HUGE savings! So maybe my vote is gonna go to Jenny for Pres!!!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #69
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Aw, shucks! How about I could just be, like, your Secretary of...ummm...Money or somethin'?
Old 08-25-2012, 07:04 PM   #70
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I like it! Pooti for Prez and PJ for money honey
Old 08-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #71
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I slept last night, that's one out of 3.... at least it's something. I wish I could say I know what I did different. I can't. I ordered some of the theanine stuff w/o relora because I read something about the relora that I cannot remember now making me think I should try it without....

unless last night it was the double shot of tequila I had out with friends several hours before bed LOL
that was different *snicker*
Old 08-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #72
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

@PJ, I have some 5htp but do NOT remember why I ordered it. Why? LOL and when would I take it? night time? I've been taking gaba calm for night time along with lots of magnesium and valerian and a sleep essentials which has melatonin. It's iffy at best. My theanine hasn't come yet. But I have that 5htp bottle staring me in the face

So if only 1 night in 3 I slept, and it was after drinking tequila, should that be my new nighttime routine
Old 08-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #73
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Tequila will do it.
The Relora & Theanine Serene takes a few days of building up, possibly about 3-5 days, but once it is in your system it should help you relax. Definitely anti-anxiety. Don't know if it is what your issue is, it works great for my son and his stress/anxiety insomnia issue. When I am overwhelmed on the job, it is what keeps me from panic mode.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:10 AM   #74
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
Since I sleep walk I fear the mask will be dangerous...
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetsbreeze View Post
Well, the sleeping mask was a bust. I could not get comfortable with it on my face and it made me very hot. Glad it was only $3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patlaf View Post
Any suggestions as to what to do with a DH who has to turn the bedroom light on when he comes to bed and has to have a night light in the bathroom. Last night I wandered into the bathroom with my sleep mask on and almost fell into the bathtub.
This is just a thought--I haven't Internet-searched it yet--but how about using flashlights after "lights out"? Hubbies could use them, too.

From what I understand, the melatonin/insomnia problem is from blue light hitting our eyes. Shining a flashlight in front of you (to my way of thinking, anyway) might not be a problem; light can only travel in one direction.

Just don't point it at a mirror or do this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg luke.jpg (88.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 08-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #75
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
Start Date: March, 2009
Okay, maybe the thread has gotten to the point that no question is too stupid. So now let me ask this one.

My teen has a much-too-bright nightlight but without it would rather leave the door open for light from the hall. After reading here I wanted to do something differently, but wanted a fast solution. At other places on the net they suggest that any yellow-covered light bulb should block blue, such as bug light bulbs. So I switched the desk lamp bulb for a bug light bulb as the only light in the room (except what comes in from the moon around the blinds). So far, the report is it "seems like" better sleep and better awakening, which sounds good to me.

Was this possibly helpful or am I kidding myself?
Old 08-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #76
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think it's plausible.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #77
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just a quick update on me.... I re-started JUDDD after having some serious insomnia problems that may or may not have been related to this WOE. I am still trying to get off my sleep medication, which is really an anti-anxiety measure to shut my brain off at night. Last night, instead of the "combo" natural sleep aid, I took straight valerian and then time-release melatonin, along with my normal muscle relaxer. I slept! Hoping to repeat that success a few more times before I can really say it worked. LOL I actually went to be *early* for me, before midnight. I did wake up some, but not bad.

HCG Rx to lose - JUDDD to maintain