Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deen73
Stats: 252/216/199
WOE: HCG rx injections
Start Date: JUDDD restart: April 9, 2013
Question about LC JUDDD

Hi, guys -- first of all, if you haven't seen me on the newbie thread, then hi.

I see many posters referring to doing JUDDD as a lc way of eating. My question is, do you stick to lc just for the DD's? That I intend to do, as eating high protein keeps me much more satiated. If I eat whatever on UD's (within reason, not 3,000 calories worth -- ) -- can I still expect losses? Thanks for your input!
Deen73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Crazy Cat
Stats: That's me on the left! 194.5/190/150. 54 & 5'5"
WOE: Lower carb-cutting back on wheat & refined sugar
Start Date: Restarting LC 7/17/13
I eat VLC on DD, and don't count carbs on UD. However, I think I would lose more quickly if I reigned in my carb count on UD. I also tend to feel sort of yucky when I go carb crazy. I'm still trying to adjust my way of thinking after being carb deprived after being on Atkins for 18 months. I'm shooting for 100 carbs (or less) tomorrow, that seems like a moderate number.
Crazy Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/212/147 or size 8/10
WOE: 2000/1000 rotations, moderate carb
Start Date: 11/3/14; JUDDD 7/11/12
Hi Deen!

I know, I often think about how I found JUDDD on Low Carb Friends, but now would not really consider myself low carb anymore. In fact, I wish I could change my name from lowcarbchris, but I don't think I can!

I do eat pretty much low carb on down days, but only because I think it's more satiating. Filling veggies and proteins! On up days, I have whatever I want, including carbs. That has been working for me so far.

If you've been low carbing, you know that eating carbs means holding a bit of water, so that might reflect in your weights at first. Also, be prepared for a "paradigm shift" for JUDDD that can be difficult for some when you've been in a low carb frame of mind. (Fear of carbs!) As someone who swore that low carb was the only thing that worked for me (although I could never seem to make it a permanent lifestyle), I'm now happy with both my loss and menu, which includes carbs, on JUDDD.
calichris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marlamp10
Stats: 251/224.2/140
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD REstart 05/09/14 at 232.5
Hi Deen, and welcome!

I'm only a little ahead of you on this journey--started 10 days ago. I came in with the intent to do very low carb on DDs and keep carbs to about 100 calories on UDs. That lasted about two cycles, then for various reasons I stopped worrying about the carbs so much, although I do think that the *type* of carbs I eat will make a difference.

I'm still finding breads and very sugary foods on UDs to cause a problem with hunger and overeating. At the same time, I'm finding that the more vegetables I eat on DDs, the less hungry I get--but that means breaking out of my "under 30 carbs" mentality. So this week I'm playing with making my DDs primarily vegetable-based with less protein, then upping my protein and fats on UDs.

I'm sure it's different for everybody, but the best thing about it is you can keep trying new things until you find the mix that works!

Marla
marlamp10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
My first month I stayed under 20 net carbs on UDs and DDs. After that I stopped counting and my losses have continued. I don't go nuts with the carbs, but I don't deny myself any group of foods either. I feel kind of sluggish if I eat pancakes or bagels, but if I want them then I have a little once in a while. JUDDD is about the calories so if your DD number is 400 calories and you want to eat 400 calories of chocolate you can. It wouln't be nutritous, but JUDDD wouldn't care.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:12 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the warm welcome! What I'm planning to do sounds very similar to what many of you seem to be doing -- I'm trying to keep it VLC on DD's, and not count carbs on UD's. Seeing the success you ladies have had is very motivating! I also have a secret belief that I can't lose weight on anything but strict low-carb 24/7 (which I find difficult to maintain) -- and I am so hoping I am wrong!
Old 08-19-2012, 06:38 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brewstate
Stats: 238/192/129
WOE: LC JUDDD (started at 190)
Start Date: April 15, 2009
I agree with what everyone else has posted. I think you'll find as you go along your journey that its absolutely possible to lose weight on JUDDD while eating whatever you want, including carbs, although I find I lose better if I keep it fairly moderate carb and avoid too much sugar or grains which still cause major cravings, at least for me. Eventually it comes down to the fact that the nourishing food you eat on UD's makes DD's much easier.
brewstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
It may be a case of "what are the carbs coming from " since a lot of us find we are naturally moderate-Carbers when eating healthfully. Lots of us still have to avoid most grains and refined processed junk but do well with real produce including nongrain starches. The nice thing is you get to find your own way and a mistake in a food choice is only a chance to learn since your next fast/down day will cover many an error. Relax and enjoy finding your healthy eating path.
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbchris View Post

I know, I often think about how I found JUDDD on Low Carb Friends, but now would not really consider myself low carb anymore. In fact, I wish I could change my name from lowcarbchris, but I don't think I can!
I have seen people change their user name. You need to contact one of the moderators and ask.
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wiiiifit
Stats: 20/12/8
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: Feb 2012
When I first started I did 30 carbs or less on DD and tried to keep it near 100 on my UD. Then, 100 turned to 150 and sometimes higher. My goal is always to aim for medium carbs on Tues, Thurs and Sat with Sunday being a free day for carbs--Mon, Wed and Friday are my low days. I don't always make it there. I agree that I would probably lose faster if I stuck to the plan. But, I also think that sometimes I just get beyond the point where I can stick to the plan. I figure as long as I am losing (no matter how slowly) it is better to have a few more carbs here and there. It helps me keep in the right mental state to stick to the plan the next day.

Yesterday, I had way too many carbs. But, it is like my body wants to make up for it today. Even though it is Sunday, I had the reasonable medium carb day today because I was still "carbed out" from yesterday's sugar high. I am kind of looking forward to tomorrow's low carb/ low cal day. I think the routine and the habit are ingrained and my body just naturally wants the lower carbs if I have overdone it on a weekend day.

Last edited by wiiiifit; 08-19-2012 at 07:39 PM..
wiiiifit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:37 AM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I may be the exception here, but I rarely give carbs a second thought anymore. I jumped in with both feet when I started JUDDD, and have since eaten whatever I want. I accepted the 3 pounds or so I put on between Atkins and JUDDD and just considered that my JUDDD starting weight. My loss has been fairly steady since (over 70 lbs with JUDDD since December), and if I want pasta, I have it. On Saturday, I noticed I had eaten over 250 grams of carbs! I had a nice whoosh this morning, so I don't think it hurt me any.

To be fair, I don't often have very carby days, but I eat the bun with my burger, and I eat tons of fresh veggies along with some fruit. I just love that I can eat what I feel like eating and not worry that it's going to derail me.

You will find what works for you!

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:22 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

It does me so much good to read this. I have pcos -- so it's firmly ingrained in me that I pretty much can't go above 20 g net carbs a day and expect to lose anything. And you guys know how easy THAT is to stay with. Made it through day 1 ok (granted, I did go to sleep fantasizing about peanut butter on a tortilla, of all things -- and all the fun stuff I was going to eat today! lol) -- and then woke up not hungry at all. It was the first day of school for my kiddos, so I took them without even eating and just ate when I got back -- around 9:30. Even then, I wasn't that hungry. I just keep saying to myself -- this can't work... it can't... it's too easy. Oh, please let me be wrong!!
Old 08-20-2012, 08:28 AM   #13

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I'm another non-low carber. I don't count carbs at all, other than I see where they show up as their own percentage of the calories I do track on ******. The carbs just fall where they fall.

But while I'm not a low carber, I'm not a high carber either. LOL I get to enjoy chocolate frosted fudge cake, but I also eat tons of meat, eggs, low-carb veggies, etc. just like I did when I was following low carb. It's just that now I also eat everything else. The foods that I do eat in very limited amounts are commercially prepared packaged foods, but I avoid those foods because of the various chemical additives put in during their manufacture, not because they might contain sugar, as I allow sugar in my diet.

Nobody will be able to answer your question about losing weight doing LC Down Days but relaxed carb consumption on your Up Days, so only time will tell... but I suspect that if you actually do JUDDD correctly, that is, actually measure your foods and portions on your Up Days and count your calories and don't go over your UD calorie number, you'll lose weight just fine. If you don't, then it will be time to revisit the situation.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:44 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Hi there! I'm a big fan of low carb diets...if only I could commit to the lifestyle as a way of life. Instead, I would be low carb for a while, then eat a bit of pasta and be sure that all my hard work was destroyed. I could be good most of the time. I couldn't be good all of the time, and that's what led me to JUDDD.

JUDDD asks for a much steeper sacrifice from me on one day in return for nearly complete freedom the next. That's the advantage.

On Down Days, my carbs are almost always under 20g simply because I find fat and protein satiating and sugar to be the devil when it comes to appetite. And when you can only have 500 calories a day are you going to spend it on cake? I'm not.

Up Days, however, are a different story. I aim for 100g but often go higher than that. Just the other day I hit 250g and still lost weight the next day. I doubt it was good for my cholesterol and blood sugar and all that, but in terms of weight loss, it hasn't hurt me. I just like to trend lower carb because I think it offers some health benefits.
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SuzeQ
Stats: 5'2"/75 years old 169/155/135
WOE: Anything that works!
Start Date: June 6, 2011
I find that I just naturally keep my carbs in the 60-80 range. I don't eat much sugary stuff, and my carbs are nearly always bread, potato, pasta or rice. Occasionally, like once a month, I eat a burger/fries which I always feel guilt about after, but whatever. Also, I have a thing for fried chicken wings, especially Popeyes at a grand 210 per wing. Those are my confession foodies, but the carbs aren't out the door.
SuzeQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Crazy Cat
Stats: That's me on the left! 194.5/190/150. 54 & 5'5"
WOE: Lower carb-cutting back on wheat & refined sugar
Start Date: Restarting LC 7/17/13
I'm finding out that it does seem to matter what kind of carb I'm eating. Sugar is fine (no really, I'm not in denial!). White bread and pizza crust makes me bloat and sometimes gain. Oddly enough, bagels & english muffins don't seem to have much effect, sometimes I lose after eating one, sometimes I stay the same. Potatoes have no effect on my weight loss. Haven't really tried pasta yet.
I eat a lot of veggies, but they're relatively LC. I'm not a big fruit eater, but since sugar isn't a problem I don't think fruit would be either.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #17

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Plus, I think even those who don't eat low carb tend to eat in what you might call tiers anyway, from a low carb base up through the tiers to whatever level is their limit.

The base of most days is still all the things that most folks make their meals of... eggs and bacon, or roast beef.. all the low carb foods that make up the base of any low carb food plan. So many of the veggies are enjoyed by both low carbers.. and everyone else too. I eat strawberries and blueberries and cantaloupe, not because they are low carb and I'm low carbing, but because they are among all the good foods I enjoy even though I am not low carb.

So most of us who aren't doing strictly low carb still enjoy all of those same low carb foods that all the low carbers limit themselves to. It's just that we eat foods beyond their limits. So when you may stop before potatoes, I include them, for example. A low carber might stop before adding bananas to his breakfast, but I include them in my menu sometimes. A low carber wouldn't use table sugar for any sweetening, and while I don't eat sweet things too often, when I do, I choose sugar over artificial sweeteners almost 100% of the time.

I found that I lost weight better at a higher carb level than at a lower one. Sounds impossible, but it's true.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #18
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Wow great to see so many different answers and yet JUDDD works on all of them! Score!

I'm one of the LCer's here on JUDDD. I must keep my blood sugars in reign all the time! I used to allow indulges on UDs and eat things like higher glycemic carbs such as sweet potato fries or on rare occassions, a piece of sourdough or pasta. But the bounce was so big and my blood sugar response so sucky, that I eventually just came back to eating what I know works for me and my individual metabolism.

Now that I'm trying to date NED for life, I have to be even more consciencous about keeping insulin levels as low as I can get them! On DD, my carbs are usually in a 20g area or below. On UD, my carbs are all over the place! Sometimes in the teens and as high as 60g net carbs. I find that I am able to truly make it a concerted WOL (way of life) at those levels and with that flexibility!

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/212/147 or size 8/10
WOE: 2000/1000 rotations, moderate carb
Start Date: 11/3/14; JUDDD 7/11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deen73 View Post
It does me so much good to read this. I have pcos -- so it's firmly ingrained in me that I pretty much can't go above 20 g net carbs a day and expect to lose anything.
Deen, I also have PCOS -- which is what brought me to low carb --
and I've been losing an average of just about 2 pounds a week doing low carb down days and any carb up days. I am thinking I should eventually go back to most up days being 'moderate carb,' but for now it's working for weight loss at least without worrying about it. It would be awesome if the anti-inflammatory effects of the diet were somehow helpful for PCOS, woudn't it? I should research that sometime.
calichris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

I have PCOS, too. There seems to be a lot of us around here! The first time I did JUDDD was a few years back. I didn't pay attention to carbs that time; but, I was diligent about my calorie count. More than diligent...I was militant. I did lose faster. But, I also exercised more, was HUNGRY all the time and couldn't sustain the loss.

This time I guesstimate/ballpark my calorie count, walk most days instead of spending a couple of hours at the gym, and I pay more attention to carbs on both up days and down days. Like I said I am not losing as quickly. But, I am a lot happier. It is more sustainable as a life style for me because hunger management and burnout were serious issues last time.

This time burnout is more of a passing phase and because I eat more LC; down day hunger isn't really an issue. I have days when I get tired. I feel like I will just never be done losing and that I will always and forever be struggling with it. That IS my reality. If I ever intend to make it to goal; I believe I have to wrap my head around the idea that I will never be done with JUDDD or the diet struggle. Otherwise, I will not maintain any loss.

I think we all have to find what works for us personally. I learned that obsessing over every last calorie does not work for me. What I need is to relax, let the rotations happen and just not stress and fret and obsess over things. The more obsessed I get, the less likely I am to stick with the program. I know there are people who need the exact opposite, though.

So, basically if you think LC works better for you then give it a whirl and experiment with it. There is nothing to lose really...with this plan tomorrow really is another day. You start fresh each down day and can try something new if last DD didn't work well.

Last edited by wiiiifit; 08-20-2012 at 06:10 PM..
Old 08-21-2012, 07:00 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiiiifit View Post
I have days when I get tired. I feel like I will just never be done losing and that I will always and forever be struggling with it. That IS my reality. If I ever intend to make it to goal; I believe I have to wrap my head around the idea that I will never be done with JUDDD or the diet struggle. Otherwise, I will not maintain .
Hey wiii, I can really identify with this thought. Part of the reason that JUDDD works for me is that I think I feel the struggle part of it fading a bit. I didn't think that would happen. Ever.
So I just want to toss out the idea that it's possible that reality changes, and that even if dieting is with us for life, struggle may not always be a part of it.

I don't mean to challenge your experience in any way. I just want to suggest that it may get better with time. I'd really like that for all of us.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Vikki80
Stats: 253/172.5/154
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: May 12
I don't do low carb. I once tried Atkins but it wasnt really got me. Although I do tend to stay away from them in down days but that's only because of the higher calorie content. I prefer to have a big plate of food like salad and protein. I don't count carbs at all, I wouldn't know how too!
Vikki80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:59 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Saxy1971
Stats: 230/200/180
Hi Deen! I started yesterday...and trying to pair my low-carbing with JUDDD. I am sticking to 20 or less carbs on DDs, and not going to worry too much about the carbs on UDs--but at the same time, try not to go overboard! I'm on my first UD today, but I'm eating a bunless burger for lunch....(just because I haven't gone grocery shopping yet. haha)
Saxy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: penelopegrl
Stats: 169/154/135
WOE: Atkins 1st, now JUDDD
Start Date: 7/23/12 Atkins, 8/14/12 JUDD
I'm pretty new at this too, today is my 4th down day, so I haven't decided which end of the carb spectrum I'll land on once I've settled in to this WOE. But I've been enjoying the ride! I was doing strict LC for a while before this, so I'm loving the freedom I have on the UDs, while trying to keep from going overboard! I just about ate my weight in pizza for lunch yesterday, but afterwards I when I started calculating the sum of my divergence from sanity... I still managed to keep it within my daily allowance by eating a small LC dinner! I think I'm going to stick to LC today to try to undo some of the damage, since I've been having fruit smoothies on my other DDs.

But I'm loving the fact that every day is like a new day, I don't have any reason to give up, because there's always another DD around the corner!Here's to finding what works!
penelopegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Hey wiii, I can really identify with this thought. Part of the reason that JUDDD works for me is that I think I feel the struggle part of it fading a bit. I didn't think that would happen. Ever.
So I just want to toss out the idea that it's possible that reality changes, and that even if dieting is with us for life, struggle may not always be a part of it.

I don't mean to challenge your experience in any way. I just want to suggest that it may get better with time. I'd really like that for all of us.
Thanks, Kristin. That is a wonderful thought. I hope I make it there. I hope we all make it there. It is nice to think of a world where struggling to maintain isn't part of my reality.

I can't quite see that light at the end of the tunnel; but I will keep operating under the premise that it is there somewhere...and that someday I will make it to that elusive light. I believe in the light. I really do. LOL