Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fixin
Stats: 5 ft 9 140/128/130
WOE: cycling carbs and calories (JUDD Enthusiast)
Past due update on strange Judd Maintainance

Several months ago I came here to ask for help for my husband who had lost 35 pounds on low carb and had kept it off for several years but still had the last ten or so pesky pounds to go. He didn't care about those ten pounds, neither did I because he looked good to me but his BP kept creeping up as he aged and his snoring was increasing.

Long story short, doing a mild form of Judd just three days per week (lowering his usual 4000 calories to around 1000) enabled him to quickly lose those last ten. His BP went to normal. His snoring stopped altogether.

He wanted to maintain by doing only 2 Judd days per week. He hates the thought of denying himself calories so felt he could handle it long term only 2 days per week. Over a couple of months that dropped him a bit lower (just a few pounds down) on the scale and he didn't like being a bit skinny.

Now he does only 1 full Judd day per week and then another medium day. He is able to stay at his new healthier weight doing this. This works I think because he is male, I'm not sure it would work for females but it's great for his situation. His BP is still great and he stays quite effortlessly trim. I don't know if only 1 and 1/2 days Judd days per week allow the SIRT 1 gene to stay turned on but I'm sure it is still elevated somewhat.

I don't think this would work if he ate high carb five days per week. Most of his other meals are highish cal, low carb with a couple of full on cheat meals per week that involve real sugar deserts.

I guess there are many ways to maintain using Judd so wanted to throw this out there for any of you who may want to implement this sort of idea.
fixin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
WOW thank you for sharing that update. Makes me want to pinch a man right now though. So not fair being estrogen dominant.
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Thanks for the update. That's great!
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Wow! Very cool update!!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_lou_who View Post
WOW thank you for sharing that update. Makes me want to pinch a man right now though. So not fair being estrogen dominant.
I know. Not fair the difference in fat cells men vs women. They only have 3 percent essential fat vs our 11 percent, not to mention our requirement for non essential fat.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_lou_who View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Thanks for the update. That's great!
Nice to see you Yam Yam. Love your avi photo.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Thanks. That's me with two of my sisters. I'm the one in the middle. After spending a whole week with them, I now miss them terribly! I'm in sister-with drawl right now.
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Thanks. That's me with two of my sisters. I'm the one in the middle. After spending a whole week with them, I now miss them terribly! I'm in sister-with drawl right now.
I could tell you were the middle one due to the hour glass swim suit figure. I also have two sisters who are my two best friends.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Fixin- that is great to hear. Boy, men have it good!
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Whitlin'
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March, 2009
Thank you! Happy for you and your husband!

I find it interesting that his snoring stopped. We know that JUDDD is very good for respiratory concerns, so I wonder if this was only because of losing the last 10 pounds or if it specifically had to do with SIRT 1 gene activation.
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
I've been in maintenance for a year now. I actually just eat "normally" - higher carb (like 100-200 carbs/day) and JUDDD when needed. IOW, I only do a DD when my weight creeps up past 150...I don't see 147 very often anymore but 3 lbs is kind of acceptable to eat this way. I have been ill this week so I have eaten VERY high carb and lost down to 147...

I think low carb/JUDDD really heal us. That helps us in maintenance to stay at a healthy weight. So long as we remember what we have learned. I look at breads and pastas as sugar and really keep away from that stuff for any extended period of time. I wouldn't normally have it in 2 meals in one day or two days in a row. Tho, I say normally bc this week has been an aberration as I have been eating plain white bread (the only thing I could keep down at one point).

Thanks for sharing your DH's story. I absolutely love reading this threads

Goal weight met: Aug 19/11

I played in the Longest Game for CF. We broke the Guinness record for longest hockey game.
hockey_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/152.8/145
Start Date: March 2012
That is great to hear Fixin! I will have to let my husband know that he might be able to maintain on less DD's when he is at goal. I know that for my husband his snoring stops completely after about 5 days on JUDDD and it gradualy starts again after about a week of being off the diet. After 3 weeks it is back to the very loud full volume again. When he is on JUDDD his sleep is so quiet that I keep waking up to check if he is still in the bed! I don't think that his snoring correlates with his weight loss or gain. He is starting JUDDD again on Monday and I am looking forward to some nice quiet nights sleep again
Old 08-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaSimpson
Stats: 174 goal 140 5'10
WOE: juicing and juddd
Start Date: 01/24/2013
Nice for your hubby really, but so damn unfair that it is soooo easy for guys! And they also don't have cravings... However I'm still glad I'm a girl
RebeccaSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:37 AM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
Men, I can tell you my DH barely does DD's his calories are probably twice or more than what I do and he is STILL losing weight!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:07 AM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I told my DH about this and he didn't get nearly as excited as I did! He's looking into WLS, and is JUDDDing in the meantime, but I think that would be an awesome way for him to maintain once he gets down where he wants to be!

for your DH!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitlin' View Post
Thank you! Happy for you and your husband!

I find it interesting that his snoring stopped. We know that JUDDD is very good for respiratory concerns, so I wonder if this was only because of losing the last 10 pounds or if it specifically had to do with SIRT 1 gene activation.
I don't know. I mean it got a lot better after dropping the 35 pounds on low carb but was not gone. I don't know how ten pounds completely eradicated it.
I too have wondered if it could be the gene.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaSimpson View Post
Nice for your hubby really, but so damn unfair that it is soooo easy for guys! And they also don't have cravings... However I'm still glad I'm a girl
Ha...yes still love being a girl too here. But in my husband's case he has huge cravings. He's a sweet- a- holic. I have to have desert for him every night. I make so many low carb deserts. On his down and medium day I make sure to give him an almond milk based ice cream. So easy, delish and very low cal. He loves it, I even give it to him on his regular up days when he asks for it.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I told my DH about this and he didn't get nearly as excited as I did! He's looking into WLS, and is JUDDDing in the meantime, but I think that would be an awesome way for him to maintain once he gets down where he wants to be!

for your DH!
It is a fantastic way to maintain. Jokingly every Sunday he puts on his Eyeore voice and says, Guess tomorrow is a DOWN DAY, really slow and sad. But they're not too hard to endure and keep him slim.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
Men, I can tell you my DH barely does DD's his calories are probably twice or more than what I do and he is STILL losing weight!
Exactly. Ha! I don't know how my husband maintains with what he does but it really is easy and effective.