Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mommy2boysaz
Stats: 5'6" - 188.2/182.4/140
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: June 23,2012
Need Help Getting Back on Track!

I'm copying my post from the August daily weigh-in thread below, because it sums up my recent history pretty well:

July 8 was my first day ever of JUDDD. I was at 178.2 on July 9, having just come off of a 2 week HCG round where I started at 183. At the end of July, I had a week of all UD due to a business trip, etc.... So, my goal for August is to see the 160's for the first time in a couple of years! I'm keeping my DD around 500 cals, going to shoot for 2000 cals or less on most UD.

Aug. 1- 180.4 DD Remember, this is following a week of Very UD!
Aug. 2- 176.4 UD
Aug. 3- 179.2 DD
Aug. 4- 175.4 UD
Aug. 5- 176.4 intended DD but didn't end up very "down"...
Aug. 6- 176.8 UD
Aug. 7- 178.4 And vacation begins...
Did not weigh (or have any DD) until...
Aug. 13- 179.2 DD -very hungry and probably ended at 1,000 cals or more instead of 500, which is my DD goal
Aug. 14- 179.0 UD
Aug. 15- 178.6 DD
Aug. 16- 177.0 UD
Aug. 17- 179.0 DD -OK, again, I started out the day alright but was so famished by evening, ate a meal out with my family and ended the day on keel with UD cals. Frustrated with myself! Where did my self control go??
Aug. 18- 175.8 UD - Do NOT know how this is possible after the huge Applebee's meal I ate last night!

OK, so given this morning's scale results, maybe my bounces are beginning to bounce again, but I'm alarmed by my inability to make it through a day on 500 cals. My first few weeks of JUDDD, I had no problem on my 500 calorie days. I think that was because my body had gotten used to such a low calorie intake on the hHCG. But, following my extended business trip-followed-by-vacation, I am just famished by evening and find myself wanting to binge (and giving in to that desire!) before bed.
I fear I won't be able to get back to that point where it was easier and I was losing weight. As I wrote above, I was hoping to see the 160s by the end of the month, but instead I'm scratching and clawing to stay away from 180!
Oh, and just to clarify, the calculator says my 20% cal intake should be 370, but 500 has always been my DD goal; my UD cal should be 1850, but I've not succeeded in counting much at all on my UDs, although that didn't seem to be hurting me too much in the beginning. Mentally, I think being able to not count every other day is very helpful for me. If I must do this to get to my goal, though, I will.

I realize this is no one's fault but my own, but does anyone have any advice for how I can regain control? My mind has been swirling the last couple of days with, "Maybe I should just throw in the towel for a while.... or, I could try WW again, or hHCH, or blah, blah, blah!"
I don't want to move away from JUDDD though. It makes sense to me and my gut says that it is very possibly the ONLY sensible, sustainable, life-long solution. I think I just need a little help staying.
mommy2boysaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2012, 08:12 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
You're still down nearly 5 pounds is just over two weeks. I know it's not as fast as some plans, but it really is much more enjoyable. I'd honestly suggest trying very hard for at least a week to hit your lower DD calories and count on the UDs. You may be surprised at how many calories you're actually consuming. If you can do it for a week, you'll see what portions and foods comprise your UD calories, and then maybe you can go back to not counting as strictly once you get the hang of it.

It helps me, mentally, to make counting a game. I like to see just how close I can get both days and when I get really close, I consider it a win. Sort of like doing a puzzle. Good luck!

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marlamp10
Stats: 251/224.2/140
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD REstart 05/09/14 at 232.5
Hi Mommy:

As it happens, here's the post I just made to the weigh-in thread. I started JUDDD on August 9, so I'm still trying to figure out the ropes, too.

Goal for August: 230 or less

08/09 - DD - 238 (522, 22 carbs)
08/10 - UP - 237 (1726, 119 carbs)
08/11 - DD - 236.8 (473, 24 carbs)
08/12 - UP - 234.6 (1501-it was hard to get calories up yesterday)
08/13 - MD - 235 (850ish as best I could journal)
08/14 - UP - 234.8 (1723, I'm about to give up counting carbs)
08/15 - DD - 235.6 (623, I've been exercising this week and was ravenous)
08/16 - UP - 234.6 (2001 - Messed up my logging and thought I had extra calories available when I didn't, dammit)
08/17 - DD - 237 (UGH. I feel every bit of it) (692 calories)
08/18 - UP - 234.4

I had to fight like hell to do a DD yesterday. After an UD Thursday that left me feeling like a sausage, I was scheduled to do a restaurant lunch Friday with our new VP. I kept breakfast to coffee with cream, drank tons of water, took glucommanan caps in an effort to head off appetite. . . all while VP was ordering big platters of sushi appetizers for the table and encouraging everyone to eat. I held lunch to 2 pieces of sushi, half cup of hot and sour soup, and grilled salmon salad with vinaigrette for just under 500 calories. Drank a gallon of water in the afternoon, ate grapes and fiber crispbread with a Laughing Cow last night. Just under 700 calories by the skin of my teeth.

And that's after claiming a headache to get out of attending the jewelry party with snacks/margaritas my boss threw last night. Jeez...
As you can see, I have to deal with quite a bit of business entertainment, and I have travel, too, like you do. What's not noted here is that I already had to manage a DD on Monday with ANOTHER work-related dinner party (this was just a bizarre week). I ended up doing a medium day of about 850 calories that day.

I have been seriously frustrated this week that I can't make everyone keep their dammed events off my DD's, lol! At the same time, another poster wisely reminded me that even a less-than-stellar DD is better than no DD at all.

And another reminded me that there are several levels of DD loss modes, and maybe I just have to accept the higher levels when I have to negotiate eating events.

Anyways, like you, I have a tough time maintaining to 500 cal DDs, too. And I do count my calories every day, because I can easily eat beyond 2000 calories on UDs when I'm not paying attention--I'm talented at picking calorie-heavy meals, and just re-proved that to myself two days ago.

But your whoosh this morning does make it look like you are having some success, even in spite of a lot of travel! That scale would not have bounced down if you weren't having some success underneath the daily water fluctuations.

It looks to me like you just need to get a few more good days under your belt to stabilize things. Maybe you would do just as well to have slightly higher DDs and less stress over them. And if you are not counting calories on UDs, maybe that would be a good thing. Knowledge is power.

Hang in there. I understand the urge to jump ship and run for another diet, because I have a long habit of that. But I don't think another one will come along that is as livable as this if I keep at it.

Good luck!

Marla
marlamp10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Dawn, thank you for the advice. I will begin counting calories daily starting with a DD tomorrow. (Today I'm going to a church picnic, so it will be difficult to count those cals, I think.) And congrats to you for meeting your goal for the month of being firmly within onederland!!

Marla, I love your post! I actually already responded to your weigh in post today! LOL! I was and am so impressed with your self-control yesterday!!
And I thank you for your suggestions, as well. I definitely need to start tracking my cals on UDs as well as DDs. I just don't want to. But, maybe I'll just try to do as Dawn suggested and make a game of it. I truly want this to work.
I also hadn't really thought about those higher levels of DDs that are considered acceptable. I was just shooting for 500 and feeling like a failure if I was at anything higher than that. I know I had a couple of DDs this week that were around 1,000-1,200 calories, which are still MUCH lower than my "typical" day. I just have to get out of the habit of being so harsh and critical of myself when I'm not "perfect". (Easier said than done.)

Thank you both so much for shedding some rational thoughts on my irrational head!!
Old 08-18-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marlamp10
Stats: 251/224.2/140
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD REstart 05/09/14 at 232.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2boysaz View Post
I also hadn't really thought about those higher levels of DDs that are considered acceptable. I was just shooting for 500 and feeling like a failure if I was at anything higher than that. I know I had a couple of DDs this week that were around 1,000-1,200 calories, which are still MUCH lower than my "typical" day. I just have to get out of the habit of being so harsh and critical of myself when I'm not "perfect". (Easier said than done.)

I am so there with you on that--was doing the very same mind game with the 500 calories because that's the number everyone keeps talking about. Well. . . 600 or 700 calories is still a heck of a lot better than 2000.

My hardest lesson with new food plans has always been the part about hanging in when it's not going exactly as I planned. Maybe we just need to say Perfection = Not Quitting.

Hang in there, we can do this!

Marla
marlamp10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:44 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlamp10 View Post
My hardest lesson with new food plans has always been the part about hanging in when it's not going exactly as I planned. Maybe we just need to say Perfection = Not Quitting.
I LOVE this! Perfection = Not Quitting. So simple, yet so true!

I'm counting every calorie starting with a new DD today. Had what was likely a very high UD yesterday with a potluck, then dinner out in the evening. Only up a pound today, so I'm feeling a bit better about where I'm at. Anxious to see where I'll be a week from now, after counting on UDs and DDs this week.
Have a great week, ladies! And thanks again for your words of wisdom and encouragement!
Old 08-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/212/147 or size 8/10
WOE: 2000/1000 rotations, moderate carb
Start Date: 11/3/14; JUDDD 7/11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlamp10 View Post
Perfection = Not Quitting.

Hang in there, we can do this!

Marla