Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/168.5/155
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
JUDD Carb stall

Being the factulist (I know there’s really no such word, but I love playing with data) that I am, I recently made a spread sheet of my experience with JUDDD since my start of this WOE in June. I thought a couple of months might give me an idea of how the system is working and I thought calories might be the source of my stalls as BJ (before JUDDD) if I ate over 1400 kcals I would gain weight…I had to keep my calories below 1200 even tho’ I’ve been a low carber for years.

Big surprise! There is a direct relation between carb intake and my stalls. The more carbs I eat and the type of carbs will slow my weight loss drastically...grains, especially, create a stall that lasts for days. But it seems to be a three-way effect…fat, carbs, and protein. The higher the fat and protein in proportion to the carbs, the faster the weight loss.

Calories do count…the closer I am to my UD goal, the better the weight loss as well and the lower my calories/carbs on DD's the faster I lose weight. That doesn't mean I have to forego those luscious treats that make UD's so enjoyable...just mind the calories. For example, this week I had half an apple fritter on Wednesday and the other half today. On National Cheesecake Day, I had the famous three bites and was totally satisfied.

Has anyone else noticed this correlation between carbs and stalls?

Set a goal; Create an action plan; Follow the plan

Plan or Avoid or Plan to Avoid

Patience and Persistence not perfection
Mssarge is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.7/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I haven't but I will try to pay more attention. I know Carby food makes me crave more Carby foods. On DD I stay away from most sugar/ flour/ starch. Veggie carbs only. I have diabetes so I try to have a lower carb UD once a week. So my carbs are limited to about 2 days a week on UDs.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:55 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brewstate
Stats: 238/152/129
WOE: LC JUDDD (started at 190)
Start Date: April 15, 2009
I noticed this myself and was going to say something but forgot. I really carbed (aka junk food-ed out) out for a little while but stayed well within my calories and wasn't having very good loses so I kept the fruit and the vegetables, but nixed the grains for the most part and my weight started dropping rapidly and it makes me feel better too. The funny part is it doesn't seem to be the carbs as much as is is the wheat and corn based products for me, but I may be wrong as it wasn't a true experiment. I have gone back to a much more sensible low carb way of eating and am feeling great. I need to try some experiments with almond flour and see what happens but its interesting none the less.

Oh and as long as I don't consume grains I can still eat fruit and wine no problem and lose like crazy... I have no answer for it but I it

I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that DD's push us into a state of ketosis naturally and if we eat lower carb on the UD's it extends it and makes it more effective. I'm totally guessing but I've noticed I have signs of ketosis during DD's and now when I eat LC UD's I have signs too (like sweating, and lots of energy, coated tongue etc).

What I find is great about JUDDD is I can *mostly* eat low carb and get all the benefits, but then if I decide to have a really high carb meal as a treat, JUDDD doesn't punishment me. You really can have your cake and eat it too.

*Sorry, end of novel*

Last edited by brewstate; 08-18-2012 at 06:02 AM..
brewstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:13 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
It may just be that when you carb up, you retain more water, so any losses that are happening don't show up until you start eating lower carbs. Just a thought.
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:25 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brewstate
Stats: 238/152/129
WOE: LC JUDDD (started at 190)
Start Date: April 15, 2009
That may be true steph, but at least in my case, (I'm experimenting here) when I go back to eating grains for a week or so (I love subway on a DD!) the weight doesn't bounce back like it did on LC so it makes me wonder how much of it is actually water? In addition, with all the wine (sometimes half a bottle on a good UD) and fruit and higher carb vegetables it makes me wonder how technically "LC" I'm eating? I'm sure it adds up. As I mentioned I have a feeling the smoking gun is pointed at whether or not I'm eating grains.

Last edited by brewstate; 08-18-2012 at 06:28 AM..
brewstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:28 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Oh, hey, I have a complicated relationship with carbs too, so I get you!
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Many, many people have a low threshhold intolerance to grains. Not enough to cause truly allergic reaction type symptoms, but perhaps enough to cause a general low level inflammation, that would definitely cause a retaining of fluid and perhaps a state of increased cortisol to deal with the 'crisis'.

If you feel better without them, it's definitely a sign that you should at least limit them as you are doing.

Even though when I had my allergy testing done, nothing showed up with respect to grains, I notice increased bloating/gassiness after eating them. So I know they aren't my friend. I mostly avoid. But have no issues with almond flour or coconut flour.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:05 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
What Tina said.

I am one who can't have sugar, grains or wine. I hope to be able to add this back in after I reach goal. I really don't miss grains, except tortilla chips. I hate that I can't have it and I have come to realize, I must be highly sensitive to the sugar & grains.

sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:48 PM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
As it relates to me, it's a lot more how much of the simple carbs I've eaten. I'm between 100 (very low for me) and up to around 200 carbs on most Up Days. But, most of that would be the baked sweet potatoes or white/Yukon Gold potatoes, the big bowl of chili heavy with beans as well as meat, fruit at breakfast, as a bowl of grapes, banana, bing cherries, and blueberries. And bowls of oatmeal too, especially with raisins, dates, and walnuts. I don't seem to notice much difference when these are the primary sources of my carb numbers. When it's just the food item, as it was harvested, I don't have to bat an eyelash.

I also love baked goods, both fabulous breads and desserts, cakes/cookies, etc. and pastries up at the French place on the corner, so when I include those choices, I have to watch my intake more carefully, making sure to truly weigh and measure portions, and also making sure I don't go over my UD calories. If I stay true, I don't run into trouble, even with the more simple carb choices I enjoy, BUT.. I don't eat those things every single UD either. I found out that I don't ever have to give up anything. I just can't eat lots of everything, all the time. Well, that was the way I got fat to begin with! LOL

So now I try to practice *Eating like a Thin Person*, that is, just as you said, a small bit of Cheesecake, and that's just perfect. I still have to pay attention, but anymore I rarely have my previous trouble, which was *Eating like a Fat Person*. It's sure made a big difference for me. So for me, it's not the carb number overall as much as going easy on those carbs that come from the loaves of bread and chocolate cake.