Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 59 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Anyone read Fitness mag.pg 120?

In the September issue of Fitness Magazine on page 120 there is an interesting article. It starts out talking about research studying mutant genes being discovered in families where some members have developed obesity.

Then it goes into discussions of what other experts call the weight rebound effect after a loss of 5% to 10% of body weight and why/how it happens.

Also lots of ideas about the importance of maintaining a significant loss, how hard it is, how the same techniques don't work for different people, etc.

Maybe I'll type up a few quotes I found interesting and we can talk about it?

Or, if you have read it, please share your thoughts with me and share some of the parts you high-lighted or found interesting.

I got a bit of affirmation about where I'm at in my head right now. Meaning, I'm not super worried or focused on losing more at the moment. The important thing is "JUST DON'T GAIN!!!"

At the end of August, beginning of September, I'm going to make a concentrated push to lose another 10 pounds. For now standing my ground is very important while adding in moderate exercise, especially strength training.

There is a lot of talk from experts in that article about how losing weight wreaks havoc with hormones, changing the ratio of Leptin and Grehlin as our bodies try to regain and go back to our top weight. So, the hardest fight is keeping off what was lost.

When we are lighter, our bodies use less calories when we move around. So, the formula for maintaining or losing is "less calories, more exercise" than someone who weighs the same but was never overweight.

I found it very interesting and enlightening.

Although the dumbest "Duh!" sentence in the whole piece is this : "The best way to avoid being fat forever is to not get too fat in the first place."

Oh gee, if only I would have known.....

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 2000/400
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Just typed this quote from that article into another thread so thought I'd copy it here, too:

"...a study, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, suggests that if a person loses 10 percent of her body weight - going from, example, 150 pounds to 135 pounds -- there is a long-lasting change in the levels of hunger controlling hormones which will make her crave food. "The body wants to defend that formerly heavier weight you got to, and it has vigorous mechanisms to achieve that," Dr. Proietto says. As soon as you drop your guard, the weight creeps back on because your metabolism is not working as efficiently. That's why losing a great deal of weight and keeping it off happens so infrequently...

"Simply knowing that you're going to have to apply yourself consistently is half the battle...

"...Everyone in my field now agrees that the aggressive prevention of weight gain is the way to focus our efforts," says Steven Heymsfield, M.D....The simple fact that you're maintaining your weight, even if it isn't your ideal but is closer to a healthy range, is a huge success and will put you ahead of the game. ...."

The author finishes up by saying this: "These findings gave me a welcome perspective and helped me shift my get-fit goal from 'lose 10 pounds to JUST DON't GAIN!"

Last edited by Yam-Yam; 08-17-2012 at 12:54 PM..
Old 08-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sdjade
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: LC 10-2011, JUDDD 04-01-2012
I have to say, this is not very encouraging, Yam-Yam.

I guess when I get "serious" about losing weight I always expect it to just fly off. Whenever reading inspiring weight loss stories, it always sounds so darn easy. I guess the thing I can get out of this article is that I need to give myself a break. I have lost over 10% of my body weight and just maintaining and not gaining is a victory! It is just hard when you feel you are doing "everything" right and the evil scale doesn't budge.

The good thing about JUDDD is at least I don't feel like I am suffering for my diet. In years past of trying low carb, etc I always felt like I was missing out and still not losing the weight is needed to lose. Dang that was frusterating!

Maybe going in spurts of weight loss mode is actually an easier way to go as it gives your body time to adjust.

Thanks for posting this. Good food for thought.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Jade: There was a lot more in the article that I high-lighted. One part described why, at the beginning of our weight loss program we lose quickly. It has to to with glycogen stores and the release of water. Then the weight loss continues pretty steadily and we expect it to continue so. Most people (me in the past, for sure!) get discouraged at this point because they think they are in a real plateau.

Actually, there is still fat burning going on if you stick to your plans. It may be slower or maybe it just takes longer for the scale to catch up to the amount of stored fat being released. In any event, this is the unfortunate point where we stop doing what we know and actually CAUSE a real plateau, according to the article.

The biggest thing I got from all of it was that we should not get discouraged and we should not give up. Most people who are at a normal weight can maintain with 30-60 minutes of exercise a day. The author suggests that those of us who have lost a good chunk of weight may have to exercise 90 minutes a day and eat less than the normal person just to break even.

Again, discouraging somewhat, but a cautionary tale teaching that we should not give up but instead consider doubling down.

I'm afraid I'm over thinking every thing today. To make myself feel better I went shopping and tried on bunches of cute clothes. I bought two very cute tops and two pairs of shorts. One pair is plaid! Would I ever have bought a pair of plaid board shorts before? NO! N.O. But I look cute and feel great in them.

Patting myself on the back again and re-motivated to stay the course! Woo-Hoo!
Old 08-18-2012, 08:05 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Interesting perspective... I think this may have been what was going on with me after I hit my 44 pound JUDDD loss. The hunger hormones erupted like Mount Vesuvius!! The hunger craving became very difficult to manage. That is when I decided to try to maintain my loss for awhile. I have NEVER been able to maintain my large losses like this article says. I am very happy to say, (knock on wood) that I maintained that for almost two months now. After that I will try to get another chunk of weight off. This may be the way to go for me. Take a dive down and then hold it for awhile before I go for another dive down. It is amazing to hear myself say that because I still have a long way to go and I don't want this to take 5 years. But I also don't want to gain everything back plus another 5-10% ever again! This is how I got so huge in the first place. Diet, add it all back plus 5-10% more, Rinse, repeat!

This, however, makes me really sad--
The author suggests that those of us who have lost a good chunk of weight may have to exercise 90 minutes a day and eat less than the normal person just to break even

I just don't know how sustainable that is for me. 90 minutes a day? I hope JUDDD changes this in some way. I hope the intermittent fasting does some healing inside that makes maintaining less difficult!!
Old 08-18-2012, 08:24 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
Interesting perspective... I think this may have been what was going on with me after I hit my 44 pound JUDDD loss. The hunger hormones erupted like Mount Vesuvius!! The hunger craving became very difficult to manage. That is when I decided to try to maintain my loss for awhile. I have NEVER been able to maintain my large losses like this article says. I am very happy to say, (knock on wood) that I maintained that for almost two months now. After that I will try to get another chunk of weight off. This may be the way to go for me. Take a dive down and then hold it for awhile before I go for another dive down. It is amazing to hear myself say that because I still have a long way to go and I don't want this to take 5 years. But I also don't want to gain everything back plus another 5-10% ever again! This is how I got so huge in the first place. Diet, add it all back plus 5-10% more, Rinse, repeat!

This, however, makes me really sad--
The author suggests that those of us who have lost a good chunk of weight may have to exercise 90 minutes a day and eat less than the normal person just to break even

I just don't know how sustainable that is for me. 90 minutes a day? I hope JUDDD changes this in some way. I hope the intermittent fasting does some healing inside that makes maintaining less difficult!!
I hear ya, Sunday! You are amazing and your losses so far are stunning. Someone here on the forum said losing weight and keeping it off should look like a stair case. Down. Flat. Down. Flat. In my last house I had two flights of stairs with a landing in the middle, big beautiful chandelier hanging down from the high, high ceiling on the landing.

After I got that visual in my head, I always picture that staircase. There were about 15 steps up, then the big landing, then you turn and go up another 15 steps.

I might be at the landing right now, going down. I have definitely noticed a pattern in my loss. I lost 14 pounds fast. Then stayed there. (a step down). Lost 5 more. rested there. 8 more. Felt like I was completely stalling and creeping up a bit. Started JUDD. Lost 6. Stayed there for several weeks, but lost inches. After that it was more like lose 2. Stop. Lose 1. Stop.

Now I'm on the landing, but the chandelier sure is pretty and sparkly.

That's probably a goofy analagy. But, I can enjoy it here. Went clothes shopping yesterday and I feel like celebrating how far I have come so far and just the fact that the weight is staying off. I can see myself descending those 15 stair steps below me. Down. Flat. Down. Flat. It may take me two weeks to get a pound off and two weeks to hold.

So what? I'm healthier, happier and enjoying life and food. Nothing will ever be off limits again. I'll eventually reach my goal in, ummmmmm, 7 months? 8 months? a year?? I'm doing this for me. No one is keeping tabs but me.

This is not a race with speed boats. lol. It's a lazy float down the river on a party boat. Did I just go from stairs to rivers?? Analogies gone wild!

Last edited by Yam-Yam; 08-18-2012 at 08:26 AM..
Old 08-18-2012, 09:30 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
excellent information share Yam.
we know a calorie isn't a calorie and not just from the composition (fat carb prot) but also to the individual body. needing less food and more muscle just to stay even reinforces the idea that 100 cal to someone who was never fat is often more like 130 cal to a former fat carrier. I'm actively back on the river!
Frustrated with myself with the small gain that puts me back at the horrible set point that I fought so freaking hard to get below.
Puts it more in perspective for me though. Why do some people lose weight when stressed?

Last edited by b_lou_who; 08-18-2012 at 10:00 AM..
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:22 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: marylouise
Stats: 300 / 154.8 / 150-5'3"- 61 YR.
WOE: 72` DADR with the List!
Start Date: March 1, 2011
And why do some people gain weight when stressed? That is the {2} million dollar Q's.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
Yam-Yam

"Simply knowing that you're going to have to apply yourself consistently is half the battle...

"...Everyone in my field now agrees that the aggressive prevention of weight gain is the way to focus our efforts," says Steven Heymsfield, M.D....The simple fact that you're maintaining your weight, even if it isn't your ideal but is closer to a healthy range, is a huge success and will put you ahead of the game. ...."

The author finishes up by saying this: "These findings gave me a welcome perspective and helped me shift my get-fit goal from 'lose 10 pounds to JUST DON't GAIN!" QUOTE from Yam-Yam............................................... ................................................

A dear LCFriend found your thread and gave me a link!
This is what is happening to me.

I have lost around 130 pounds since last March, 2011.

After Christmas I lost around 15 more pounds. Did not gain Christmas, just needed to put that fact out there.

I have maintained this loss since then, to today. I have not lost anything in way too long and have plans to start Tuesday on my walk up the carb Ladder, getting to my CCLL. Scarie thought.

I have been on 72` Induction for the past 17 months. Strick INduction

Finding out that all of my hard work may not have been in vain is very encouraging!!!!!

Thank you TONS for posting this!!!!!

As you can see from my photos, this is not my first time! BUT IT IS MY LAST TIME!!!!

If I regain this time I will die..............................

marylouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

b lou who

We have met before! Great to see you again!

Old 08-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylouise View Post
And why do some people gain weight when stressed? That is the {2} million dollar Q's.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
Yam-Yam

The author finishes up by saying this: "These findings gave me a welcome perspective and helped me shift my get-fit goal from 'lose 10 pounds to JUST DON't GAIN!" QUOTE from Yam-Yam............................................... ................................................

A dear LCFriend found your thread and gave me a link!
This is what is happening to me.

I have lost around 130 pounds since last March, 2011.

After Christmas I lost around 15 more pounds. Did not gain Christmas, just needed to put that fact out there.

I have maintained this loss since then, to today. I have not lost anything in way too long and have plans to start Tuesday on my walk up the carb Ladder, getting to my CCLL. Scarie thought.

I have been on 72` Induction for the past 17 months. Strick INduction

Finding out that all of my hard work may not have been in vain is very encouraging!!!!!

Thank you TONS for posting this!!!!!

As you can see from my photos, this is not my first time! BUT IT IS MY LAST TIME!!!!

If I regain this time I will die..............................

Mary Louise: Girlfriend! You are such a success! I am patting you on the back for your awesome progression and accomplishments!

Did you read the thread about "why your body wants a break from WL"? I'll post the link in a minute.

People probably get sick of me talking about the great importance of maintaining each loss as we go along in this journey. But, I'm really preaching to myself. I find it very motivating and affirming to know that I'm actually "succeeding" and not failing when my weight stops dropping; but on the other hand, I'm keeping off what I've lost.

I'm comforted somehow knowing that this weight rebound thingie I'm fighting and winning is actually a metabolic fact of nature and science and not me doing something wrong.

Now I have some understanding of why, in the past 7 or so years when I managed to lose 10 or 20 pounds, it would come back on so quickly and bring even more. The problem was me seeing that slow down, getting discouraged and going back to my former WOE (the SAD WOE!). My body would re-bound because of that high set point it mistakenly wants to return to.

Now that I know this, I can focus on fighting it. And, I can feel good about winning the fight when the scale does not go UP!

I'm going to post that link for you and then click on your link and read your journal.

You look amazing and I am sooooooooooo proud of you!!!
Old 08-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Here is the link:

Why your body wants a break from WL
Old 08-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

I haven't been to my Journal in a while. I was going there a lot but the 72 has gotten so big and busy it uses up all my time. I started my last one, Climbing the Ladder in hopes of finding my CCLL. Just got that toe on it so far. Tuesday is my starting day to start the climb and I am shaking in my shoeless feet.
Yam Yam I bet some think I sound like a broken record too.

We really are in a way talking to ourself but, I think a few people may take a step forward in their struggle if they see just a glimmer of hope in my battle to fight this fluff. But no, I dont see it truly as talking to myself. I have met and made friends with so many wonderful great people on this forum. We all help each other soooo much! I have learned more here in this past year than I could have ever hoped to learn (in the real world). To me this forum is the real world. People here speak from their heart in a way one can never do, face to face.

Paying it Forward is so enriching to my life.

The two other links in my siggy probably tells a lot more about day to day struggles.
I created the journal thread because some said I needed to do it for myself to learn and remember from. Nawww....

The 72's for me is like sitting around a table and enjoying a cup of coffee with all of my wonderful friends

In your Avatar, which one is you?

Old 08-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Yam Yam thank you for the link!
Old 08-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Mary Louise: I'm the one in the middle!!! Can you see the resemblance between me and my sisters??? I have 4 sisters (there are 5 of us) and I have 5 brothers. We all look alike, I think.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:08 AM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
Yam, nobody gets sick of hearing/reading any of your advice and the information you so diligently seek and put out for the rest of us to absorb.

As most of you know, I took a small "maintenance" break, though I continued to lose. It was the best thing I could have done for my body AND for my psyche. I needed that break, and needed to know that it was okay to take it. It didn't derail me. I've gone on to lose another 20 pounds since then, and am continuing to lose more.

I plan on taking maintenance breaks periodically from here on out, whenever I feel I would benefit from one, or if I stall or slow down signifcantly. I think it's healthy, normal, and beneficial. If it weren't for the "why your body needs a break from WL" thread, I wouldn't have taken the break, and I may have quit.

It IS a victory, sometimes, to simply not gain!

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:11 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Yam, nobody gets sick of hearing/reading any of your advice and the information you so diligently seek and put out for the rest of us to absorb.

As most of you know, I took a small "maintenance" break, though I continued to lose. It was the best thing I could have done for my body AND for my psyche. I needed that break, and needed to know that it was okay to take it. It didn't derail me. I've gone on to lose another 20 pounds since then, and am continuing to lose more.

I plan on taking maintenance breaks periodically from here on out, whenever I feel I would benefit from one, or if I stall or slow down signifcantly. I think it's healthy, normal, and beneficial. If it weren't for the "why your body needs a break from WL" thread, I wouldn't have taken the break, and I may have quit.

It IS a victory, sometimes, to simply not gain!
I agree since I did this too. It is a great victory to be able to maintain the losses. Otherwise, what is the point of all of this?

Yam-Yam-- when the article discusses the 90 minutes of exercise, does yoga or callanetics or pilates count? Or are they referring to cardio exercise?
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/285/<160 (5'7")
WOE: LC/JUDDD/Fast5/Diabetes Miracle 2010-12
Start Date: 2014: Shangri-La
Personally, I refuse to read any articles about how hard it is to lose weight or keep weight off!!!
But I appreciate everyone's posting info to help each other out.

I'd like to make a comment on the 90-min-per-day thing (which I imagine refers to cardio/walking, not yoga or weight lifting). Not to be argumentative, but to give y'all hope, I hope!

I've been getting into the idea of HIIT lately (and have posted a couple times recently...forgive me for repeating myself...but sometimes one thread will die and another will continue on, so you never know which one will be helping "new" people a few months from now).

My son was doing track last year and I noticed that a lot of the sprinters were big & muscular, but they moved like lightning!!! I commented to DS's grandfather, who used to run marathons. He said long-distance runners tend to be scrawny while sprinters are muscle-y.

Please do a Google images search of "sprinters vs marathoners physique"! It's very inspiring!!!

There are a few different camps when it comes to exercise:
prolonged, frequent cardio...strength/functional training...HIIT (high intensity interval training).

The short-exercise people say: DON'T exercise for more than 20 minutes at a time.

But you may have heard that it takes 20 minutes of exercise before you even start burning fat, right?

So of course we need to exercise for hours on end!!! Derrr!!!
People who only exercise for 20 minutes are LAZY!!!

Well, a couple days ago I finally read an analogy that made a bit of sense to me.

If you exercise frequently, and long enough to tap into your fat stores every time, your body thinks, "Oh, we need fat! For next time!"

If you exercise briefly BUT INTENSELY and only burn available glucose/glycogen, your body thinks, "Oh, we don't really need fat. Let's get rid of that so we can move faster."

Also: prolonged cardio may actually cause heart damage.
I can't link, but look for this article by Dr Mercola:
"The Exercise Mistake Proven to Damage Your Heart"

Now, maybe for someone like me who needs to lose 100+lbs, I should do longer cardio + HIIT + weightlifting + chopping firewood 7 hours a day?!!!

But for the next couple weeks, I'm experimenting with only doing "sprinting" workouts".

Besides, I hate doing exercise as "punishment" or "payment" for being fat.
When I do fun things (like dancing)/used to do competitive things (volleyball, martial arts), exercise isn't/wasn't a drag at all. And if I got tired or couldn't keep up, I *wanted* to get stronger...so jumping rope or lifting weights was a tool to PERFORM better, not a chore to LOOK better.
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
^^^
excellent perspective pj!
I'm not doing much of any exercise beyond running hither and yon, getting in and out of cars, traipsing through hospitals, and I REALLY want to start riding my bike again. I doubt I do anything with enough intensity. Hope to improve though. I want to exercise for me. For range of motion. For joint assistance. For my lymph system.
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:02 AM   #19

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
"Just don't gain" would be the best long term motto for people with a weight problem!

the cycles of losing and regaining make it all so much harder. it would be far better to stay a good bit above what we imagine to be our goal weight if we can just hold that line over the decades... it's tough.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Mary Louise: I'm the one in the middle!!! Can you see the resemblance between me and my sisters??? I have 4 sisters (there are 5 of us) and I have 5 brothers. We all look alike, I think.
I did see the resemblance! I thought the one on my right was a daughter to one of the two on the left. 10 total! Ya'll were blessed to have so many siblings!

I haven't had time to read your other thread. yet. But I am going to!
Old 08-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cuttie99
Stats: 5'2 171
WOE: post hcg, lost 60lbs
Start Date: Juddd 4/30, restarted 11/30
Yam YAM thanks so much for sharing the article with us. I too am not too happy about the 90 min thing.... great... I guess I should have never gotten fat! lol. Right now I am trying to lose the amount I regained after starting Judd post hcg. Too many events and temptations for me! I wonder... can I blame the facts of the article for my wt gain? lol or is it mostly my own fault.... lol I just need to stay on track and stop getting derailed. I tell myself... I can't wait to put a success story up in the group but I keep failing . The good news I just keep getting on the wagon again and trying my best. I refuse to give up!

What ever you are craving now will be there for you to eat when you are done losing weight!!
cuttie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylouise View Post
I did see the resemblance! I thought the one on my right was a daughter to one of the two on the left. 10 total! Ya'll were blessed to have so many siblings!

I haven't had time to read your other thread. yet. But I am going to!
Oh no! I'll have to tell my older sister she looks like my daughter?? Is it because she's blond? Our father had blue eyes, light skin and lighter hair. Two of my sisters got the blond hair blue eyes, very fair skin. The rest of us got dark hair, dark brown eyes and medium colored skin like our mother.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttie99 View Post
Yam YAM thanks so much for sharing the article with us. I too am not too happy about the 90 min thing.... great... I guess I should have never gotten fat! lol. Right now I am trying to lose the amount I regained after starting Judd post hcg. Too many events and temptations for me! I wonder... can I blame the facts of the article for my wt gain? lol or is it mostly my own fault.... lol I just need to stay on track and stop getting derailed. I tell myself... I can't wait to put a success story up in the group but I keep failing . The good news I just keep getting on the wagon again and trying my best. I refuse to give up!
Cuttie: Getting back on the wagon seems to be the most important way to maintain losses and lose more. The article didn't say what kind of workouts to do for 90 minutes. There was no pushing of intense workouts. Just move longer I guess and try to burn more calories and build lean muscle.

The article was more encouraging than discouraging to me. And the point of the line about "don't get fat in the first place" is a moot point as far as I'm concerned. I don't roll around in regret in my life. Everything is what it is.

I remember after my back injury and the onset of menopause I was sitting in the living room with a bunch of family members. My kids, SIL, BIL, kids-in-love, and we were talking about all kinds of things. I remembered Oprah saying that she wished instead of all the self-hatred she had and all the struggling during the 10 years she was at her heaviest that she would have just said, "I'm going to be fat for 10 years" and let go of the punishment she put herself through.

I told my family that and said, "I know you have always known me as a very thin Mom, wife, sister-in-law....but I feel the weight coming on. Just want you to know I might be fat for 10 years. Everyone will just have to deal with it, ok?

My SIL and her DH are very judgemental about people's weight. They hounded my DH for years and never let up on him every time he gained a few pounds. One day I was bending over putting dishes in the dish washer and the SIL's hubby started saying to everyone, "Look at her butt. Do you see how wide it is? And it's wider on one side than the other."

I whirled around, almost threw a dish at him and yelled, "Stop it right now or get out of my house! Just stop that! It's so inappropriate!" Thankfully he never said anything to me about my weight again. Of course, I wouldn't golf with them anymore or be in any type of situation where I was alone with them or anything.

Wow, it felt good to vent about that!!!!! Sorry. But it did feel good!

Last edited by Yam-Yam; 08-20-2012 at 09:59 AM..
Old 08-21-2012, 03:21 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Oh no! I'll have to tell my older sister she looks like my daughter?? Is it because she's blond? Our father had blue eyes, light skin and lighter hair. Two of my sisters got the blond hair blue eyes, very fair skin. The rest of us got dark hair, dark brown eyes and medium colored skin like our mother.
There you are! I dont really have a reason. She just looked like your daughter in that picture.
Now I can see you! You are very pretty

I am so sorry to say this but I still have not had time to read your other thread.
I started today on the Ladder and counting kcals and have an UP and a DD.
A/J. A/J has a ring to it. In a couple weeks I should see some results. I started cutting back on kcals a couple days ago and have lost almost two pounds so far.

I am sure many will not agree with me, but for me losing has been F.U.N.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
There you are! I dont really have a reason. She just looked like your daughter in that picture.
Now I can see you! You are very pretty

I am so sorry to say this but I still have not had time to read your other thread.
I started today on the Ladder and counting kcals and have an UP and a DD.
A/J. A/J has a ring to it. In a couple weeks I should see some results. I started cutting back on kcals a couple days ago and have lost almost two pounds so far.

I am sure many will not agree with me, but for me losing has been F.U.N.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Oppps double post LOL
Old 08-22-2012, 04:49 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: 150?/?/135 52yo
WOE: JUDDDish
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Personally, I refuse to read any articles about how hard it is to lose weight or keep weight off!!!
But I appreciate everyone's posting info to help each other out.

I'd like to make a comment on the 90-min-per-day thing (which I imagine refers to cardio/walking, not yoga or weight lifting). Not to be argumentative, but to give y'all hope, I hope! :

There are a few different camps when it comes to exercise:
prolonged, frequent cardio...strength/functional training...HIIT (high intensity interval training).

The short-exercise people say: DON'T exercise for more than 20 minutes at a time.

But you may have heard that it takes 20 minutes of exercise before you even start burning fat, right?

So of course we need to exercise for hours on end!!! Derrr!!!
People who only exercise for 20 minutes are LAZY!!!

Well, a couple days ago I finally read an analogy that made a bit of sense to me.

If you exercise frequently, and long enough to tap into your fat stores every time, your body thinks, "Oh, we need fat! For next time!"

If you exercise briefly BUT INTENSELY and only burn available glucose/glycogen, your body thinks, "Oh, we don't really need fat. Let's get rid of that so we can move faster."

Also: prolonged cardio may actually cause heart damage.
I can't link, but look for this article by Dr Mercola:
"The Exercise Mistake Proven to Damage Your Heart"

Now, maybe for someone like me who needs to lose 100+lbs, I should do longer cardio + HIIT + weightlifting + chopping firewood 7 hours a day?!!!

But for the next couple weeks, I'm experimenting with only doing "sprinting" workouts".

Besides, I hate doing exercise as "punishment" or "payment" for being fat.
When I do fun things (like dancing)/used to do competitive things (volleyball, martial arts), exercise isn't/wasn't a drag at all. And if I got tired or couldn't keep up, I *wanted* to get stronger...so jumping rope or lifting weights was a tool to PERFORM better, not a chore to LOOK better.
PJ, this is really interesting. Thanks for reposting it.
I gained weight each time I trained for and ran a marathon. . It made me hungry so I ate more over the day, and the high glycemic fuel was horrid for me. Crazy. Fun to run the distance, but not worth doing it again.
I also spent a lot of my adult life using exercise to battle my eating, and I don't love battle.
I laughed the other day because a friend asked if I'm training for a triathlon. I said nope, just yoga. (I'm still waiting for my Callanetics DVD) She said she couldn't believe the definition in my arms and legs.
So I'm with you. No more long aerobic slogging for me.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SuzeQ
Stats: 5'2"/74 years old 169/159/135
WOE: Anything that works!
Start Date: June 6, 2011
Very interesting! However, it will be a cold day in Helena before I exercise 60-90 minutes a day. Just saying. I do think that when one reaches goal, that to watch the 3lb gain alert and then falling back, you can maintain. I gained because I did not do that and one day the weight was on. If only....
SuzeQ is offline   Reply With Quote