Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: divinemsm54
Stats: 254/173/150
WOE: JUDDD, mod. carb, HCG
Start Date: 7/15/12
Time to Tweak? Ideas dear JUDDD Buds?

So my two week stall has lengthened to a 3 and a half week stall, sigh, no losses since the first week (5.5 lbs that week). I know myself, and if this continues much longer I'm in danger of giving up completely, which I really don't want to do. I dropped my DD calories from 500 to 400 yesterday, no change on the scale today though I know it may take a few rotations to kick in. I'm at 1800 cals for UD, which I've been sticking to within a 100 calories of in both directions. I feel so discouraged...like my fiendish fat cells are guarding their gates with machine guns, refusing to allow anyone to leave. I want to tell them, "it's ok, really, there is like ZERO chance I'm ever going to be completely without food--I live in the midst of overwhelming abundance, just look around--you guys are taking over this whole country, relax already!" But my fat cells are fundamentalist--nothing is extreme enough for them...

So any thoughts, ideas, tweaks or suggestions to disarm the little f-ers would be so much appreciated....
---patty
divinemsm54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Is there anything you are not counting?

Otherwise, if you stick w it, I believe that you will be successful.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

I wish! but no, I weigh, count and measure every single thing I eat, sigh...I'm really struggling with sharing your positive attitude at the moment, but appreciate the boost!
--patty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51 View Post
Is there anything you are not counting?

Otherwise, if you stick w it, I believe that you will be successful.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sdjade
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: LC 10-2011, JUDDD 04-01-2012
Hi Patty - Have you noticed a change in measurements or how clothes fit? For me it seems like I see a change in that before the scale moves. I know how frusterating it can be. I'm in the middle of a scale stall right now.

If you are looking to change things up, maybe doing a week at 400cal will do the trick. If not, maybe try a week of upping your DD calories. It seems that has helped some people here.

Do you exercise at all? Maybe adding some light exercise in will help get those little buggers movin'!
Old 08-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Patty-
Do you record your weight at least weekly so that you can observe trends over time? I have found my records to be invaluable in noticing quirks in how my body loses.

Even when you do that, I've found some anomalies in my weight loss.

For example, I lost just over 100 lbs on JUDDD over two years at just about a pound a week (my maximum rate of loss, since I'm post menopausal and hypothyroid). It was very steady each week, 4 lbs a month.

Then suddenly about 18 months in, I had a month where I did not lose an ounce for 3 weeks, although I was absolutely faithful to my eating and exercise routine. I worried about my thyroid (I sometimes need my meds adjusted), but the 4th week, I lost all 4 lbs for that month. clearly, I didn't lose those 4 lbs in a single week; something was masking the loss on the scale.

The following month, the exact same pattern emerged, nothing for 3 weeks, 4 lbs the last week--it never happened again. And I have absolutely no idea why I lost that way only for those 2 mnths.

I suspect there's a reason why Dr. Atkins used to advise his patients to tweak nothing unless a stall lasts at least 6 weeks. Our bodies may 'play around' for a while but be forced to admit the loss eventually.

My advice would be to hang on just a little longer--if you're sure you're counting accurately.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
How close to goal are you? and how tall are you?
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
There are a couple of issues running through your post:

1) You're not losing weight. I would count three weeks as a stall, especially with calorie restriction, so it's possible tweaks are in order. Sure, you may be losing inches instead of pounds and if that's the case, that might argue in favor of leaving things alone. But if you're not losing either pounds or inches, then sure, you have every right to re-evaluate. I know I would. What is your daily caloric average when you put the numbers together. If we pretend it's 1200 calories, just for the sake of argument, have you experienced losses at that level before? If not, perhaps you do need to tweak your numbers. If so, you may need to give this more time.

2) You're on the ledge. I get that completely. When you're losing steadily, rough regimens are easier to keep to. If down days are hard for you, they're going to seem harder psychologically if they're not paying off. However, if you find this WOE significantly less rough on you than other diets, it might be worth holding to the ledge a while longer. Maybe if you make a time-table for yourself. If you are still stalled by X date, then you'll consider other options, but you're not going to stress about it until then. That can do wonders for your mental health, IMO.
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Don't give up!!!! Back away from the ledge!!! We feel your pain.

I just started another thread about an article I read this morning in Fitness Magazine.

From your stats, you have lost well over 20% of your body weight. Listen to this:

"...a study, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, suggests that if a person loses 10 percent of her body weight - going from, example, 150 pounds to 135 pounds -- there is a long-lasting change in the levels of hunger controlling hormones which will make her crave food. "The body wants to defend that formerly heavier weight you got to, and it has vigorous mechanisms to achieve that," Dr. Proietto says. As soon as you drop your guard, the weight creeps back on because your metabolism is not working as efficiently. That's why losing a great deal of weight and keeping it off happens so infrequently...

"Simply knowing that you're going to have to apply yourself consistently is half the battle...

"...Everyone in my field now agrees that the aggressive prevention of weight gain is the way to focus our efforts," says Steven Heymsfield, M.D....The simple fact that you're maintaining your weight, even if it isn't your ideal but is closer to a healthy range, is a huge success and will put you ahead of the game. ...."

The author finishes up by saying this: "These findings gave me a welcome perspective and helped me shift my get-fit goal from 'lose 10 pounds to JUST DON't GAIN!"

Personally, my opinion is that when your body (and mine) is fighting hard, trying every trick in the book to regain that weight, we do well to recognize it and fight back hard. Instead of feeling bad about hitting a plateau, let's feel good about not regaining.

Keep looking for ways, as you are, to tweak and progress. But don't lose ground. Don't give your body back any of those hard fought lost pounds. At some point, you will have a new set-point and your body will have no choice but to give up the goods.

Let's stick together and keep fighting the good fight!!!!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Have you read this thread?

Why your body wants a break from WL

I have read about this in several different books and articles now. It stays in the back of my mind all the time and keeps me vigilant.

My job is to stick to the plan and that means, for me, trusting the calories for rotations. When my body is ready, it will drop more weight. I'm confident of this. When will my body be ready to drop more weight? It will be ready when it is ready.

Like Leo said, sometimes we don't get the pattern of why our bodies are doing what they are doing.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

I do record...I suspect being perimenopausal isn't helping matters, plus I'm going to the doc to be tested for thyroid levels next week... hoping for a whoosh like yours! thanks for the support.

And in response to the lovely Yam Yam--I have read about those studies, and am braced for my metabolism to permanently impacted by dropping the first 70 pounds (which was over a period of 3 years, plus two more of stall, and I've kept it all but 10 pounds off--5 of which are now gone on JUDDD). But I've been unable to lose any more for over two years now, despite trying everything except Hcg--that's what I mean about having terrorist, gun-totin' fat cells! They're just not giving it up. And me being as stubborn as I am, I haven't given up after those incredibly frustrating 2 years--well, not for long, anyway. I keep trying....and trying... and trying. And I'm wondering if because of the metabolic impact from the weight loss, I need to lower my cumulative calorie average? any thoughts?

and many thanks for the thoughtful posts and support ,
--patty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Patty-
Do you record your weight at least weekly so that you can observe trends over time? I have found my records to be invaluable in noticing quirks in how my body loses.

Even when you do that, I've found some anomalies in my weight loss.

For example, I lost just over 100 lbs on JUDDD over two years at just about a pound a week (my maximum rate of loss, since I'm post menopausal and hypothyroid). It was very steady each week, 4 lbs a month.

Then suddenly about 18 months in, I had a month where I did not lose an ounce for 3 weeks, although I was absolutely faithful to my eating and exercise routine. I worried about my thyroid (I sometimes need my meds adjusted), but the 4th week, I lost all 4 lbs for that month. clearly, I didn't lose those 4 lbs in a single week; something was masking the loss on the scale.

The following month, the exact same pattern emerged, nothing for 3 weeks, 4 lbs the last week--it never happened again. And I have absolutely no idea why I lost that way only for those 2 mnths.

I suspect there's a reason why Dr. Atkins used to advise his patients to tweak nothing unless a stall lasts at least 6 weeks. Our bodies may 'play around' for a while but be forced to admit the loss eventually.

My advice would be to hang on just a little longer--if you're sure you're counting accurately.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Patty, I stall out quite frequently as well. Been at the same weight for about 2 weeks. I sometimes wonder if stress at work or lack of good sleep is part of the problem???

One thing that keeps me motivated to stay the course, is remembering Leo's story (she knows all about slow losses) and also the fact that in the beginning I did have good losses. Lastly, when I sit down and think about where I would go from here??? I can't think of another plan! So, it is JUDDD for me until I stumble upon something less painful or more productive.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:32 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinemsm54 View Post
I do record...I suspect being perimenopausal isn't helping matters, plus I'm going to the doc to be tested for thyroid levels next week... hoping for a whoosh like yours! thanks for the support.

And in response to the lovely Yam Yam--I have read about those studies, and am braced for my metabolism to permanently impacted by dropping the first 70 pounds (which was over a period of 3 years, plus two more of stall, and I've kept it all but 10 pounds off--5 of which are now gone on JUDDD). But I've been unable to lose any more for over two years now, despite trying everything except Hcg--that's what I mean about having terrorist, gun-totin' fat cells! They're just not giving it up. And me being as stubborn as I am, I haven't given up after those incredibly frustrating 2 years--well, not for long, anyway. I keep trying....and trying... and trying. And I'm wondering if because of the metabolic impact from the weight loss, I need to lower my cumulative calorie average? any thoughts?

and many thanks for the thoughtful posts and support ,
--patty
For you and for me too I'm thinking, unfortunately, that the answer might be "yes" to this.

I'm dreading it because I really, really want to be one of those people who can eat JUDD maintenance level calories and still lose. Or who can up the DD and UD calories and still lose. But right now, I'm thinking that's not true for me. And maybe my metabolism is still healing.

After my vacation, I'm now back to rotations and WLM calories. I don't seem to have much of a problem getting rid of vacation weight. For example, after 2 DDs this week I have lost 7.2 of the 8 pounds I gained in that 11 day wonderful, enjoyable bash (which I don't regret one moment, bite or sip of!!!)

But, that's happened before and I seem to go right back to the 42 pound loss and stay there.

Before vacation I was staying at 187 to 189 for weeks and weeks while eating in WLM calories. I decided before I left for vacation on August 2nd that this week would be a maintenance month for me and I will go back to WLM in September.

The 8 pound jump on the scale motivated me to get right back to 20% DDs and it felt good to do so. Also feels good to drop those pounds, which were mostly water retention I'm sure, so quickly.

We shall see what happens after today. I'm determined not to torture myself or beat myself up.

After all this reading, I'm seeing what an accomplishment it is to keep lost weight off and I'm patting myself on the back for doing it. After all, I started this journey a year ago. This is the longest I've kept anything over 20 pounds off in 7 or 8 years (since I started the weight gain).

I'm going to keep exploring, keep looking for answers and new ideas, keep hanging out with JUDD BUDDs for encouragement. By this time next year I hope to be at least 10 pounds down from where I am now.

In the meantime, I'm going to keep enjoying this lifestyle. I know I can handle it. I'm going to be kind and gentle to myself. Life is hard enough without me beating myself up.

Let's celebrate our victories and never give up, right? Let's stay in this together!
Old 08-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #13

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
First of all, do you know that 1800 calories is an accurate number for you at this time according to the JUDDD Calorie Calculator? I know that sounds strange, but we've had folks who didn't click the *little or no exercise* choice when they were figuring their calorie numbers, because they felt they exercised enough to use the higher choice, but that did them no favors. Most of us don't burn calories as well through exercise as our naturally slim sisters do, so it's probably not a good idea to add MORE calories into our Up Day number. (I don't know your age or height/weight, so haven't checked the Calculator for you here.)

Another thing that many do is... begin to eat at slightly higher carb levels than they were used to previously. (I notice that you have listed you eat at a *moderate* carb level on JUDDD...so don't know if you ate at this level before JUDDD as well...)

It doesn't take too much to trigger the resumption of carb burning, so what they found was happening was.. they were losing body fat after all. But they were regaining a bit of water weight at the same time, because of eating those few more carb choices in their diet now, and the increased weight of water regain was offsetting the decreased weight of the fat loss JUDDD was producing, and their scale was reading about the same all this time. April Fool's.. They were losing fat after all. It was just being masked by the regain of water weight. And once the *carb up* period finished replenishing their water weight in their tissues, as designed by Mother Nature, their fat loss continued unabated, and finally they were able to see the truth of their weight loss happening. Woo Hoo!
Old 08-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I wouldn't give up just yet. I think the WOE kind of has it's fits and starts. I have had at least 2-3, 2-3 week weight stalls, but I was gaining other JUDDD benefits. You should also check out the NSV thread- very inspiring.

I would re-check the JUDDD calculator and for me I have to be really true to my DD numbers. I've never done the 500 calorie deal. From day one I did what the calculator said for 20% WLM. I frequently eat fewer that 200 calories on DDs even though I can have around 350.

I also never force myself to eat all of my UD calories if I've eaten and feel satisfied. If my body says it full and I'm under, than there will be another UD right around the corner. I have seen the best results when I adhere to the idea that my DD and UD calorie numbers are limits- neither to be exceeded on a regular basis. If I feel good with less- no worries. I'm not in danger of starvation any time in the near future.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #15

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
I wouldn't give up just yet. I think the WOE kind of has it's fits and starts. I have had at least 2-3, 2-3 week weight stalls, but I was gaining other JUDDD benefits. You should also check out the NSV thread- very inspiring.

I would re-check the JUDDD calculator and for me I have to be really true to my DD numbers. I've never done the 500 calorie deal. From day one I did what the calculator said for 20% WLM. I frequently eat fewer that 200 calories on DDs even though I can have around 350.

I also never force myself to eat all of my UD calories if I've eaten and feel satisfied. If my body says it full and I'm under, than there will be another UD right around the corner. I have seen the best results when I adhere to the idea that my DD and UD calorie numbers are limits- neither to be exceeded on a regular basis. If I feel good with less- no worries. I'm not in danger of starvation any time in the near future.
I found I was not able to do that. Not that eating that way didn't produce weight loss... it did. For awhile. But for myself, eating very, very low calories on one day and then skimping on the next day as well acted very much like being on a general very low calorie diet. It worked great guns for awhile. Then my weight loss slowed way down and my body became adjusted to the lower calories and was happy. I had nowhere to go but on down from there. I actually lost better when I kept UD calories very near and at the number I was given as my *Normal* number. That seemed to be enough to really provide for all the healing my body was doing on JUDDD. I'm one who feels that even though we have plenty of body fat to live off of, so to speak, it's still very important to be optimally nourished. But then, I'm certainly older than many here, so maybe I need that more than most. LOL
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Hi Pat--yes, that number is accurate at the little or no exercise level (though I do in fact exercise--lightly--about 5 days a week, walking or pool exercise) for my stats. I have been doing 500 cal DDs and think I need to cut to the 360 level he recommends for 20% and see if that budges things. Also my carb levels are pretty close to the same pre and post-JUDDD, haven't been doing lots of carby goodness on the up days. I am deeeeeeeply hoping it's water weight and a whoosh is coming!
thanks for your post,
patty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
First of all, do you know that 1800 calories is an accurate number for you at this time according to the JUDDD Calorie Calculator? I know that sounds strange, but we've had folks who didn't click the *little or no exercise* choice when they were figuring their calorie numbers, because they felt they exercised enough to use the higher choice, but that did them no favors. Most of us don't burn calories as well through exercise as our naturally slim sisters do, so it's probably not a good idea to add MORE calories into our Up Day number. (I don't know your age or height/weight, so haven't checked the Calculator for you here.)

Another thing that many do is... begin to eat at slightly higher carb levels than they were used to previously. (I notice that you have listed you eat at a *moderate* carb level on JUDDD...so don't know if you ate at this level before JUDDD as well...)

It doesn't take too much to trigger the resumption of carb burning, so what they found was happening was.. they were losing body fat after all. But they were regaining a bit of water weight at the same time, because of eating those few more carb choices in their diet now, and the increased weight of water regain was offsetting the decreased weight of the fat loss JUDDD was producing, and their scale was reading about the same all this time. April Fool's.. They were losing fat after all. It was just being masked by the regain of water weight. And once the *carb up* period finished replenishing their water weight in their tissues, as designed by Mother Nature, their fat loss continued unabated, and finally they were able to see the truth of their weight loss happening. Woo Hoo!
Old 08-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Aw, I'm sorry for your frustration!

Quote:
my fiendish fat cells are guarding their gates with machine guns
I have one question and a couple suggestions--

Q: Any chance you are insulin resistant?
It's not the fat cells holding the guns, it's insulin!!! And perhaps some other hormones...but insulin can be a big problem...

Suggestion #1: Lots of omega-3s.
I read that when we get too many trans fats and omega-6s, and not enough -3s, our cell membranes become "tough" and it's harder for nutrients to get in & out.

Suggestion #1a: Google nutrients (or supplements) for cell membrane permeability.
Some others that may be helpful: MSM, magnesium, cinnamon.

Suggestion #2: Sprinting/HIIT/PACE/"Grizzly Bear" workouts.
I just started this recently...my workouts are about 8 minutes long (2 min warm up, 4 minutes of 20 sec sprints + 20-40sec rests, 2 minute cool-down), although I sweat my brains out for about half an hour afterward!

This is the video that got me interested:

If anyone here does long workouts, I suggest doing a Google images search of "sprinter vs marathoner physique" for inspiration to change things up a bit!!!

Suggestion #2a: Callanetics.
I haven't stuck with it myself, but I've heard nothing but good things about it. People totally reshape and rejuvenate their bodies.
Even if your stall continues, you may feel like you're making progress and be less discouraged.

(PS--don't mean to sound like I'm assuming you don't exercise; if you do, I just don't know what type you're doing.)
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

I'm 5'3" and a yawning chasm of more than 30 pounds from goal, sigh....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
How close to goal are you? and how tall are you?
Old 08-17-2012, 05:10 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Make sure you're eating enough on UD's so you are not just CR. Even if you don't eat all your UD cals there should still be a wide range.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Thanks PJ, for the empathy and the suggestions! I wish like hell I COULD work out like a grizzly, but have like nine kinds of "itis-es" that make it a serious challenge to do any more than I am, sigh. Right now I'm in physical therapy for a back injury and am fighting flared up plantar fasciitis and in in air cast from a torn up ankle. As you can tell, I will not go quietly into that dark night! I keep doing whatever my body allows to keep it moving, it just won't allow all that much. It's been a hard road learning to listen to it instead of dictating and then hurting myself. I do definitely need to get more omega-3s, I have some fish oil to use up but it gives me the burps so I'm not religious about it. I take magnesium, curcumin, vitamin D, probiotics, digestive enzymes and a multivitamin too. I'll check into researching cell permeability supplements, thanks for the suggestion!
--patty

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Aw, I'm sorry for your frustration!

It's not the fat cells holding the guns, it's insulin!!! And perhaps some other hormones...but insulin can be a big problem...

Suggestion #1: Lots of omega-3s.
I read that when we get too many trans fats and omega-6s, and not enough -3s, our cell membranes become "tough" and it's harder for nutrients to get in & out.

Suggestion #1a: Google nutrients (or supplements) for cell membrane permeability.
Some others that may be helpful: MSM, magnesium, cinnamon.

Suggestion #2: Sprinting/HIIT/PACE/"Grizzly Bear" workouts.
I just started this recently...my workouts are about 8 minutes long (2 min warm up, 4 minutes of 20 sec sprints + 20-40sec rests, 2 minute cool-down), although I sweat my brains out for about half an hour afterward!

This is the video that got me interested:

PACE Twins Interview - YouTube

If anyone here does long workouts, I suggest doing a Google images search of "sprinter vs marathoner physique" for inspiration to change things up a bit!!!

Suggestion #2a: Callanetics.
I haven't stuck with it myself, but I've heard nothing but good things about it. People totally reshape and rejuvenate their bodies.
Even if your stall continues, you may feel like you're making progress and be less discouraged.

(PS--don't mean to sound like I'm assuming you don't exercise; if you do, I just don't know what type you're doing.)
Old 08-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #21
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I love the pterostilbene and now netrition carries it.
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:54 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh honey, I'm sorry about your injuries!!!
I feel so tactless...I wanted to ask if you have any kind of limitations & wait for an answer before giving suggestions, but my son was rushing me off the computer.

So, assuming you're in pain/under stress, I imagine your cortisol levels could be elevated, and THAT will hold your fat hostage!!!

Btw, "grizzly bear workouts" refers to imagining oneself RUNNING from one, not exercising like one. I'm not sure *they* ever bother running from anything.

Now, can you exercise your arms, or does your back injury make that difficult? Cuz you could get your heart rate up even in a chair by lifting weights, shadowboxing, or one of those pedal machines, for example.

Last edited by piratejenny; 08-17-2012 at 06:09 PM..
Old 08-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Patty,

Have you tried Penetrex for your pain from plantar's fasciatis? I use to have leg cramps from walking long distances and this is the only thing that I have found to completely get rid of the pain. It says on the reviews that plantar's sufferers get good results from this!

PJ,

Thanks for the video. I love HIIT, perfect for working folks.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Not even a little bit of a problem, PJ, please don't worry! Unfortunately, pain is a chronic in my life, not an acute, and has been for oh so many years--but weirdly, I feel so adapted to it, I barely notice it as a stressor any more. But possibly my body DOES! I soooo wish I could run--either like OR from a grizzly, tee hee. I have such envy when I see joggers out, but then I remind myself of my cousin who's been in a wheelchair for more than 35 years, since falling over a fence at age 18, and I realize how danged good I actually have it...
--patty

Quote:
Oh honey, I'm sorry about your injuries!!!
I feel so tactless...I wanted to ask if you have any kind of limitations & wait for an answer before giving suggestions, but my son was rushing me off the computer.

So, assuming you're in pain/under stress, I imagine your cortisol levels could be elevated, and THAT will hold your fat hostage!!!

Btw, "grizzly bear workouts" refers to imagining oneself RUNNING from one, not exercising like one. I'm not sure *they* ever bother running from anything.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have to type in bits & pieces on this tablet; you answered before I finished my post!
Old 08-17-2012, 06:16 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Oh I forgot to answer this---I got a glucose meter a few weeks ago to test if I am, and the answer seems to be borderline yes. I did an at home glucose tolerance test (carby bagel after long fast, then testing blood sugar at 1, 2 and 3 hours after) and was not type II but definitely too high for my comfort (141 one hour after carby bagel test--the site I've been perusing used above 140 as the danger zone/insulin resistant). I've been spot-checking after various foods since, and the highest reading so far one hour after eating has been 133; it's been between 100 and 120 all other times I've checked. So there's that piece...
--patty

Old 08-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

I have tried this, but seem to get better results with Traumeel, if you know what that is...thanks for the suggestion Sunday!
--patty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Patty,

Have you tried Penetrex for your pain from plantar's fasciatis? I use to have leg cramps from walking long distances and this is the only thing that I have found to completely get rid of the pain. It says on the reviews that plantar's sufferers get good results from this!

PJ,

Thanks for the video. I love HIIT, perfect for working folks.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I had a bad case of PF, I tried stretching & taping, spent hundreds of $ on diff shoes, insoles, padded socks...kept getting worse...got a $35 pair of rocker-sole shoes...immediate relief, and cured in 2 weeks!

Have you tried them?
Old 08-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

I haven't--been working with a podiatrist who's the only one I've found to help, and am much better than I was, but why not try the rockers, if it's such a cheap low-tech fix! Never even occurred to me, thanks PJ!
--pm

Quote:
I had a bad case of PF, I tried stretching & taping, spent hundreds of $ on diff shoes, insoles, padded socks...kept getting worse...got a $35 pair of rocker-sole shoes...immediate relief, and cured in 2 weeks!

Have you tried them?
Old 08-18-2012, 06:10 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brewstate
Stats: 238/192/129
WOE: LC JUDDD (started at 190)
Start Date: April 15, 2009
It does sound like you might be highly insulin resistant. Have you considered doing a fat fast for both UD's and DD's for a week or so to see if you can shock your body into dropping some weight. I can't remember who, but I've seen someone on JUDDD who did that and it seemed to work very well. Just a thought.

Also I lose much better if I stick to around 350 calories at least 2-3 days a week instead of going with a strait 500. I try to even keep my body guessing on how many calories its getting on its DD and that seems to work well

How amazing you have been working on this for 2 years. I think if you find that tweak that is somehow holding your body up, you should be able to go down again.