Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
IP-6 supplementers? share here please

Wondering who else is taking/has taken IP-6? Experiences?

I have taken IP-6 for rounds of about a month at a time in the past for pcos/seratonin issues. Starting taking it again today. My understanding is that inositol hexaphosphate is really a type of B vitamin like a non-flushing niacin.(As in, doesn't cause "hot flashes".)
I am terribly interested right now in using real food as my supplements, even though I am also taking supplements from bottles. Interesting to me that we seem to crave foods ,when we clean up our customary diets, that will provide things our bodies desperately need to heal. I'm taking one gram three times a day right now.

I was reading a couple of sites (below) today and was fascinated by these tidbits:
Inositol is not known to be an essential nutrient. However, nuts, seeds, beans, whole grains, cantaloupe, and citrus fruits supply a substance called phytic acid (inositol hexaphosphate, or IP6), which releases inositol when acted on by bacteria in the digestive tract.
D-chiro-inositol is present in the highest concentration in buckwheat. Legumes, such as lentils, wheat germ and garbanzo beans, also known as chickpeas, contain low levels of d-chiro-inositol. Thus, hummus can be a good source of d-chiro-inositol. Carob syrup and carob powder, which can be added to many baking recipes as chocolate substitutes, are also rich in d-chiro-inositol.
--I crave this list and feel the best eating lots of seeds and nuts, chickpeas, lentils and other beans, cantaloupe and citrus. I eat my buckwheat because it is good for me, not because I am a lover of it. I feel great eating hummus or veg with chickpeas added. Love lentils with acv. Ate almost a whole cantaloupe for dinner last night with some cruelty-free non-nitrite salami and some white bean puree. my body is trying to heal itself. YAY
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a chronic endocrine disorder in women that leads to infertility, weight gain, and many other problems. In a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial, 136 women with PCOS were given inositol at a dose of 100 mg twice daily, while 147 were given placebo. 31 Over the study period of 14 weeks, participants given inositol showed improvement in ovulation frequency as compared to those given placebo. Benefits were also seen in terms of weight loss and levels of HDL ("good") cholesterol. A subsequent study of 94 people found similar results.
Inositol, unofficially referred to as "vitamin B 8 ," is present in all animal tissues, with the highest levels in the heart and brain. It is part of the membranes (outer coverings) of all cells, and plays a role in helping the liver process fats as well as contributing to the function of muscles and nerves.
Inositol may also be involved in depression. People who are depressed may have lower than normal levels of inositol in their spinal fluid. In addition, inositol participates in the action of serotonin , a neurotransmitter known to be a factor in depression. (Neurotransmitters are chemicals that transmit messages between nerve cells.) For these two reasons, inositol has been proposed as a treatment for depression, and preliminary evidence suggests that it may be helpful.

here are the sites for the above notes:
Inositol - Depression Info
I think piratejenny (love her!) posted this in the pterostilbene thread earlier:
List Of Foods High In D-chiro-inositol | LIVESTRONG.COM

Am interested in piratejenny (or anyone else with experience) take on the comments for the inositol at empowHer regarding triggering manic behavior in someone with bipolar

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
This is very interesting! I am embarrassed to say that I do not take it regularly, but when I feel run down or that my body is running on empty, then I start supplementing. I am post-meno and I never had pcos, that I know of. I did have a dermoid cyst on one ovary and had to have it removed when I was 19, so would that be similar?

I live and work in an environment where I come into contact with many college students who seem to contract every illness known. One year we had a meningitis outbreak, H1N1, etc. I told the doctor that I wanted to supplement with something that would boost my immune system to the degree that I could conquer all. She suggested IP-6. The brand that I bought is Enzymatic Therapy Cell Forte IP-6 ...

Enzymatic Therapy Cell Forté IP-6 & Inositol
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, and Lou, I crave and could exist on walnuts, pumpkin seeds and mac nuts all of the time!

I love lemons and limes too!

Old 08-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
Isn't that interesting about the foods? I love that it helps with depression too, a battle I have fought time and again.
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It seems that life can be so overwhelming that depression effects all of us.
I remember Dr. Oz had a show (I know, I know) he is such a promoter of well, everything under the sun about the supplements that everyone should take no matter what, and IP-6 was one of the supps.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:46 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I will watch with interest. I have PCOS as well as diabetes. Currently I'm off meds for both. This was not really recommended, but what can I say. I'm a work in progress. I take a lot of meds for pain and associated muscle spasms as well as meds for ADD. Anything natural that does not continue to tax my poor liver would be great. I struggled with depression in the past and was religious with my rx'ed antidepressant.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote