Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Stupid inconsistent scale! and 1 month results

Does anyone else have a digital scale that gives you a different weight depending on where you stand on it or where you put it on the floor (I have tile)? I usually have to weigh myself at least three times to be sure, but yesterday for some reason it was wildly fluctuating and I was carrying it around the house (naked) trying to get at least two same weights! ARGH!
(and, anyone know of a GOOD scale?)

First month on JUDDD ended 8/11 ... I lost 9 pounds.
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Congratulations! That's more than 2 lbs a week!!!!
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Vikki80
Stats: 253/172.5/154
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: May 12
Yes my scales are the same! I just make sure I place it on the same spot on the floor whenever I weigh.
Vikki80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Congratulations on being 9 pounds down! Awesome job!!

At home I have the Tanita Ironman body monitor scale. It's extremely accurate.

For travel I bought the one you see at Weight Watcher's meetings. It is very light (8 ounces I think) and thin and has a handle which makes it easy to carry around. It's also very accurate. Several times I've weighed myself on the Tanita and then the WW travel scale. Exactly the same down to the point something.

Last time I went to the doctor's for a check up, I put my clothes on, stepped on the Tanita and then the WW and got the exact same reading. At the doc's I was thrilled that (after a visit to the little girl's room) I weighed .4 less on the scale there. So, both of mine are accurate. I've even weighed myself, stepped off and picked up a 5 pound dumbell and stepped back on just to make sure it's accurate.

Unfortunately, I don't think the WW one is being sold anymore. The one they have on amazon is different than the one I bought. It looks similar in the picture, but it's bigger in width and length and says it weighs to 330. Mine didn't say that so I assume it weighs to 299 like most scales do.

My Tanita scale is 7 years old. It's great. I don't know if they make that one anymore. I just looked at the Tanita web site and didn't see it. But they have a lot of different ones. I paid $49 dollars for it and paid $19.00 for the WW travel scale.

Hope you can find a new scale that does not drive you crazy! My BFF bought a regular WW body composition scale at Walmart and she loves it.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
A Good Scale

Seriously, the EatSmart is the best scale I've ever owned.
It is the same weight no matter how many times I step on it, move it, half drop it (lol) - it's the same.
The large platform and BIG backlit display make it really easy to stand on and use and it's not fussy if you don't stand perfectly still for 10 seconds (like my old one, if you shifted at all it EEE'd on you!).
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March, 2009
Christina I feel your pain. The varying readings on my newer digital "Health-O-Meter" (a brand that has been criticized on this forum recently) are the reason I have kept my old "Taylor" non-digital scale. I weigh on both every morning - the Taylor for a double-check on the more specific numerical readout of the other. And I have vinyl flooring, not tile. I guess I'm crazy not to buy an even newer one, but if I do I know I'll be afraid to let the Taylor go and trust it, so I'll still be in the same position of having 2.

Thanks for the recommendations here in this thread, Dottie and YamYam.

Great loss, Christina.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:52 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wiiiifit
Stats: 20/12/8
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: Feb 2012
My scale does exactly the same. It actually got worse when the battery needed replaced (at least that was what we decided was wrong.) Changed out the battery and about 2 or 3 weeks later it was doing exactly the same nonsense. If I would weigh 3 times I;d get 3 very different numbers...move or bump the scale and it will give some really crazy numbers. Changing the battery again didn't do anything.

Once it weighed me at least 15 pounds lower than what I knew was even possible in my best fantasy weigh in. It was a nice thought; but I prefer to live in the real world where I know I didn't lose that much! So, we bought a new scale. More expensive, looked more durable, hoped it was more reliable. After about 3 months it was doing exactly the same thing the old scale did! grrrrrrrr
wiiiifit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:20 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I have a Tanita (digital) that never varies downstairs. It is on a hard surface and I never move it. I have a nondigital Taylor upstairs and it is consistent. DS has one of those WalMart Heath O meter ones in his bathroom and I weigh on it for fun when upstairs and it is also consistent. It is also on a hard surface and is never moved. The only difference is the heath o meter one weighs me exactly one pound lower than my Tanita.
Moving scales around doesn't help in my opinion. Hard surface and never moved makes my scales consistent or at least they always weigh the same no matter how many times I step on them.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:02 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Smi1es
Stats: GW 145
WOE: A little of everything
Start Date: January 1st, 2014
My scale does the same thing. I just try to get three of the same readings then I take that as my weight.

I've noticed that it varies where I stand, even sometimes which foot I put up on the scale first!

I just want to see the scale go down so I'm okay if I don't know my exact official weight. But it is a fun little game some mornings to see how low I can get the scale to say.
Smi1es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:42 AM   #10
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
One thing I really like about the eatsmart is you don''t have to tap to activate it. Just step on it and it works
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the suggestions! My problem is actually that I have an uneven floor (that's why I try different spots). With the scale I have now, I actually have to lift the corner of the scale and drop it back down to get it to turn on (tapping does not work) which can't help but move the scale .... I think I might try that Eatsmart precision plus since it doesn't need to be tapped (or lifted and dropped ... )
Old 08-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scottieMike
Stats: 265/228/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2011
Electronic scales might vary wildly if the batteries are low. The mechanism for determining weight is highly dependent on getting a good voltage. A good scale should give the same measure over and over.

A new scale does not mean that the batteries are good.

All scales assume that your center of mass is over the center of the platform. Leaning or raising your arms will change the weight. Uneven surfaces generate "leans".

In addition, electronic scales give you discrete feedback at something between 0.1 to 0.5 pound increments. A half pound change may be displayed for a smaller change. Mechanical scales are generally continuous -- so less abrupt changes between measurements.
scottieMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:34 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Star123
Stats: 208/190/128 @ 5`5"
WOE: moderate LC living
Start Date: Restart 08/2014
The old scale I use at home does the same thing. I have to tap it to activate it. But I like hearing about the Eatsmart Scale which doesn`t have all those problems with an uneven floor or whatever. I looked at it on online and you can get it at Walmart for 28.96 Canadian. I don`t know, but in the US it should be cheaper right? I want one and I`m going to get one. No more hassels! I`m done. LOL.

Last edited by Star123; 08-17-2012 at 12:36 PM..
Star123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sdjade
Start Date: LC 10-2011, JUDDD 04-01-2012
I have an EatSmart scale and it is nice to not have to tap, but I still have to move it around several times and never get the same reading. Of course, I just take the lowest reading and call it good!

Oh, and I bought mine on Amazon.
sdjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Re-started Judd on 8.5.14
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 3.26.12
Ok back to the important stuff. 9 pounds lost in a month!!!! WTG!
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoWeigh
Stats: 58 Yrs. & Hypothyroid
Start Date: JUDDD April 1st January – March ate LC/LC
CONGRATULATIONS on your wonderful results!

Have you considered rewarding yourself with a new digital scale? Mine was not expensive. It is very, very consistent. I can get on it three time and get the same readout. My previous scale was just the opposite -- a guessing game. This is much easier to contend with.
NoWeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:10 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/145.8/145
Start Date: March 2012
Your scale does sound frustrating but congratulations on the weight loss! You are doing great!
Babsbabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:23 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Ditto!!! You are winning even when the scale isn't compliant. I am thrilled for you!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:32 AM   #19
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Hey congrats on your weight loss! Sorry you have an uncooperative scale! Is your shower or kitchen floor even? Maybe move it and weigh in there??

9lbs rocks!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
For those with uneven floors, would a square piece of wood or other solid material be feasible to place the scale on? I am fortunate that I have ceramic tile floors so I get a very conssitent reading even if I get on and off 10 times in a row it reads the same. ( I tried that just to see).
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 9/22/14
Congrats on the loss!!!!

I step on my digital with one foot (sideways to cover the apparently two foot requirement!) to get a reading which I would kill for. Then I get on normally and get my real (depressing) weight.
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
Congrats on the loss!!!!

I step on my digital with one foot (sideways to cover the apparently two foot requirement!) to get a reading which I would kill for. Then I get on normally and get my real (depressing) weight.
LOVE IT! I'm trying that tomorrow! Could be motivating!

Incidentally, I can't even post in the daily weight thread because I did not have time to deal with my scale this morning Sometimes I can get two weights the same, sometimes not. Time for a new one!!! (or one of the great suggestions here!)
Old 08-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 9/22/14
When I was doing ... some other plan, Lord only knows which one ... I weighed the same down to the tenth of a pound for a month or two. I was only weighing once a week so I was majorly confused. I mentioned it to DH and he told me about weighing something else with a known different weight then weigh myself.

Being that I don't like being nekkid anymore than I need to be around the Metal Monster, I came up with that. It's sad when I see a number in Onderland and know I'm there with only one foot on the scale. wait ...

Yes, I'm going to track every loss when I get it!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Hmmmmm....was just thinking about the uneven floor problem. Do you have a garage with a cement floor? Maybe you could sneak out there in the morning and weigh and see if it's more consistent?

Also, I did a goofy thing. (everything and nothing is goofy for me. ) I rolled up my favorite pink heart pajamas that I lounge around in every morning, put them in a plastic bowl and weighed them on my digital food scale. Before you think I am out of my mind, I did it so I didn't have to take them off to weigh if I'm too lazy.

Then, I got on my body weight scale with them on, got off, took them off and weighed again, nekked. Now I know for sure they weigh exactly one pound. (They are comfy cotton, long legs, baggy, sort of like medium weight t-shirt material).

If you weigh a night gown or pjs and have to go out to the garage or patio to weigh, you can just subtract the weight of your cover-up. Works for me.

I know, you are wondering about me being too lazy to take off my pjs, right? It's just that after I'm up and about, getting DH off to work and I have to run to the bathroom after coffee, sometimes I just want to step on the scale real quick to see if I'm a few ounces less that an hour before when I just woke up. I'm a nut.
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #25
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I actually just thought about doing that this morning Yam. My scale is in the kitchen because it's the only place in the house with even floors that won't get wet! It always feels weird to me to get nekkid in the kitchen.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote