Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Six Weeks on JUDDD

This morning I was down another 1 lb, which makes for 11 lbs lost on JUDDD and 16 lbs over all. Maybe it would have been faster loss if I hadn't been taken unawares by a binging Up Up And Away Day, but it's a loss and I'm tickled about it.

The downsides this week:

1) Wild scale bounces. There's a part of me that freaks out when the scale bounces. Maybe I ought to start weighing only once a week, but then I would miss learning all the neat stuff I'm learning about my body in the interim. I also hope that weighing every day will eventually numb me to the emotional roller-coaster that is the bounces.

2) Increased pickiness. OMG, I'm becoming such a diva about food. If it isn't fit for a queen, I don't want to spend my calories on it. This morning I tried my first Sun Warrior shake (vanilla). I thought it was vile, so I dumped it into the sink, nevermind how expensive it was. I've started breaking out my cook books--very old cook books--looking for beautiful recipes with which to reward myself on an up day. Diet experts would probably say this is a horrible idea. I've been told all my life that food should never be a reward--especially not for dieting. But look where that's got me? Screw that, I say. I'm highly food motivated! That's what keeps me on plan with JUDDD. I can apparently endure a lot of deprivation for one day if I know I'm going to have something awesome the next day.

The upsides this week are many even though I was crazy stressed out this week dealing with contractors and work snafus:

1) Appetite control. Thank God! I had at least two good Down Days this week during which I was able to focus, write many creative pages about Cleopatra Selene's dramatic life, and wasn't going nuts about food. Part of it may be that I'm finding my way into a DD menu that works for me. (Including chili for dinner. Dawn might be onto something here.) And part of it, I'm sure, is that the appetite suppression is starting to kick back in. Hallelujah!

2) Increased pickiness. Yeah, I know. I listed it as a downside, but it's also an upside because it speaks to control. Because I know that I can have anything, I tend not to stuff my face with crap. I turn up my nose at many fast food joints. Do I really want to waste a single calorie on some new recycled combination of Taco Bell's five ingredients? No. I hold out for a nice restaurant or I go home and make something lovely. I no longer feel as if I'm feeding out of habit on up days, but as if I'm savoring delicious foods and flavors that make life more fun!

3) Decluttering my kitchen. When you've been doing low carb for as long as I have, you tend to collect a bunch of weird products and stuff that isn't all that useful, but that you can't bear to get rid of, just in case. I've been wanting to clear most of it out anyway, but JUDDD is giving me the security to let it go. If it's a low carb product that is good enough for me to eat on an up day, it stays. If it's a frankenfood that is too high in calories for me to eat on a down day, it's gone. My shelves are getting emptier, my fridge is getting more organized, and it couldn't have come at a better time because we're about to renovate our kitchen.

4) Fruit! Oh, all the guilt I've had over fruit for the past decade. This is the first summer in years I've allowed myself strawberries, cherries, watermelon, peaches, apples, and so on. Come winter time, I'm sure it'll be out of my system and I'll start eating less sugar again, but in the meantime, yay!

5) JUDDD BUDDDs. You guys are always an upside, but this week especially, when I was so mad at myself. Hugs and kisses!
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I'm so glad to hear you are doing well! I totally relate to the pickiness. I kind of love it. I feel like I only get so many UDs and there better be fantastic things for me to eat on them. I also do the same on a DD, but to a much lesser scale. Oh and FRUIT! Glorious nectarines, peaches, and cherries! They are only in for a few weeks and I'm on my third case of peaches/nectarines from Costco. I hope to get one more, but I don't know. I'm going to Idaho in a few weeks and it should be peach season there - which is FANTASTIC!
Old 08-16-2012, 08:42 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
You've hit the nail on the head with the pickiness aspect. It's been mentioned before, so I think it really is something JUDDD-specific, but we tend to only want the best tasting, freshest, most wonderful foods on UDs. Often that includes good-for-us items we would have neglected in the past in favor of some disgusting burger and fries (at least in my case). I also find I'm eating more fruit (cherries!!!) and nuts and other wholesome foods, along with my wine and bread and cheese and whatever else I want.

I do tend to eat out a lot with Wendy's and Subway and the occassional trip to Panda Express, but even then, I'm choosing salads, veggies, and "of course" chili, which are much better choices than the crap I was putting in my body before. This rings true on DDs and UDs alike. I'm more mindful of what I'm eating and savoring every bite, whereas before I'd just mindlessly put it in my mouth and not even pay attention to the flavors or textures.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
May 2014: Still maintaining; taking a stab at HDE/IE
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Great update, Steph! I so agree with sticking to daily weigh-ins. It's such a learning process and, yes, I do feel it improves our relationship with the scale. It's no longer a bitter enemy. It has become for me simply a tool. When it bounces way, way up (e.g. my 8 pound gain after 11 days of vacationing and over the top eating and drinking) I become motivated and enjoy getting back on plan.

Seriously, I loved my wonderful welcome home DD on Monday which resulted in a 4.8 pound drop the next morning. Ya gotta love it.

You made me giggle with your Taco Bell reference and talking about becoming more picky.

My sisters laughed at me when I told them "food has to be worthy for me to eat it." We had lavish dinners and lunches in beautiful restaurants like Sheerwater and Oceans 1500 at the Hotel Del Coronado right on the beach. Once we had a late morning champagne brunch buffet at the Oasis in Escondido. My sister almost fell out of her chair when I took a bite of one dish and immediately (but discreetly) spit it out onto my plate!!! (Didn't want to deposit it into the beautiful burgundy linen napkin!):

My sister squidged up her nose and asked, "What are you doing?" I said, "It's not worthy. I'm not swallowing it!" LOL!

Congratulations on being 16 pounds down! What a wonderful journey we are on.

For me, to lose such a nice chunk and then keep it off for so long now is nothing short of a miracle at my age. Yesterday I put on a pair of size 12 denim shorts and they immediately fell to the floor. "Pants on the ground, for sure." They are so cute I'm either going to have to get a belt or take them in so they will stay up. What a great problem to have.

Another perk for me has been that even on UDs I crave healthy foods and rarely go after junk food. On top of that, I have become more and more interested in learning about healthy supplements and eating the kinds of food that will keep me healthy.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 2000/400
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/152.8/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 2012
I am so happy reading your post Stephanie! Somehow this way of eating makes our love of food work for us instead of against us. All of your points are ones that I experienced as well and they brought me to a very good place. I am looking forward to reading about week 7
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Great update! It sounds like you are starting to hit your JUDDD stride. Good to see that positive list a lot longer than the negatives. Yay for Steph!
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Yah steph I am always thrilled to read how you experience JUDDD.. Kind of cool how you have all the points lined up.. Fruit.. what can i say.. I have now a love affair goin with pinappples at the moment..(fresh only)
YamYam I soo get that~ The food not worthy part..I too did the same thing, but it was with Coconut cream pie-.. Just was not worth swallowing lol
Best of luck to every one
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:24 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alcestis
Stats: 210/169/155 5' 8"
Start Date: December 13th, 2011
I don't call it "picky", I call it "choosy", "discerning", "eclectic", "judicious" (not to mention delicious...). I think about food in a whole new way now: our relationship is no longer abusive, although my passion for mangoes is a little worrying...

Glad you're allowing yourself to experience the whole...umm...experience that is JUDDD!
Alcestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:53 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Great update. I have found that the bounces don't effect me anymore. I weigh daily- sometimes 2x a day. I like what I learn about myself/ my body and there is a built in tolerance for the bounces with time on JUDDD. I have learned that I'm much more than the number on the scale so a little bounce doesn't destroy me.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoWeigh
Stats: 58 Yrs. & Hypothyroid
Start Date: JUDDD April 1st January – March ate LC/LC
CONGRATULATIONS on your progress -- and your insights!
You are doing beautifully!
NoWeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Steph! I loved reading your post here. Yup, you're really getting into JUDDD now, and it sounds like you're beginning to just relax about it, and do it, and zero in on the DD foods that make those days pretty easy and comfortable, AND.. really begin to feel free to enjoy the very dickens out of your Up Days.

I always feel a bit sorry when I read folks say they no long eat for enjoyment.. that food is now only fuel for their bodies, and they refuse to think of it as anything more than that. How sad. I was joyous to find that I could delight in food more than ever on this plan, and I could eat the most exquisite foods, and if I just remained true to the simple design of JUDDD, everything would work out wonderfully in the long term.

And, yeah.. those bounces on the scale are pretty amazing sometimes. I weigh each morning, empty, and record the weight, then get the week's average every Saturday and compare it to the average from the weeks before. Overall, the bounces don't mean much, but the averages at week's end as the months pass tell the story.

I'm sure glad you're here with us. Even though I don't post here as much anymore, I do stop by to see how everyone is doing. Sounds like you're off to a great start. Just do this forever and you'll become slim, be in tip-top health, and be free to enjoy all the delightful foods of the world as well. Can't beat that.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:53 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I am a believer in the choosiness being the best part of JUDDD!
I see the 1600 cals as being vitally important to my nutrition. Especially since I fast EOD, so I want the best and only the best for my UD.
I have had a few days where I ate out on UD and spent my cals on yummy meals but basically falling short on anything nutritionally beneficial. I pay for it the next day and sometimes well into the 2nd day.

Congrats Steph on your success this far!!!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote