Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marlamp10
Stats: 251/224.2/140
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD REstart 05/09/14 at 232.5
Schedule frustrations

Once again I'm bumping heads with one of my biggest work/food problems, which is how often I'm requested to do a lunch or dinner meeting on short notice.

I was asked to attend a Monday evening function for a coworker at a buffet. It was my planned DD, and I ended up turning it into a MD, and am waiting to see what that has done to me. Now today I'm told I have to do a lunch meeting with VP on Friday at an Asian restaurant--ANOTHER DD.

Seriously, what do you do? I've seen a few comments about doing MD's when necessary, and others about how doing too many MDs can stall your progress. I get the impression that two DDs in a row is not a good idea, and neither is two consecutive UDs.

I don't want to screw this up, but this is how my life is. And this isn't even my personal social life. . .

Marla
marlamp10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Ultimately, it's up to you how you decide to handle it. I would probably fast other than that one meal, and choose something under 500 calories. I eat out a LOT and have found that it really can be done almost anywhere on a DD. Veggies, broth, chicken without breading or much sauce, and you can look like you're eating a feast, but stay within your calorie limits. If you're ordering from the menu, a nice asian salad is great; just don't eat the crunchy noodles and get the dressing on the side.

If that doesn't seem like a good option to you, you can always make those occassions MDs, and see how it works out for you. Some people do just fine with MDs, while others do stall. You may be one of the lucky ones who can do them with no problems.

Just keep in mind, that any attempts at DDs or MDs is still better than all UDs. You're still going to lose and have fun doing so, but it may be a bit slower. Slow is better than not at all, IMHO. One of the wonderful things about JUDDD is that it CAN and DOES allow you to live your life while following the WOE. That includes business and social obligations.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Just keep in mind, that any attempts at DDs or MDs is still better than all UDs.
This is true.

I still have a big fear factor with the DDs, even though they've been mostly tolerable so far. I would love to get to a point where I can comfortably eat a single meal for the day and be okay for that 24 hours. It would make my business food planning so much easier. But I can see myself handling it a lot better with a single meal in the evening than at lunch.

This restaurant has a grilled chicken salad and hot/sour soup--I can probably make do with that.

Maybe this is the time to go investigate the glucomannan thing...
Old 08-15-2012, 10:19 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
Start Date: March, 2009
Marla, that is a tough situation. I guess I'd have to agree with trying to make those events one-meal-days.

For my schedule and life, M,W,F DDs with an MD on Sat has always worked well. Taking that to a different mathematical conclusion, though I suppose that (assuming you work M-F) your potential for these food/work situations could at least be reduced by 1/3 if you adopted a T,Th, S DD schedule with Sunday MD.
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brewstate
Stats: 238/192/129
WOE: LC JUDDD (started at 190)
Start Date: April 15, 2009
I don't really have any answers for you but I've discovered its really hard for me to fast until a meal and then stay in control of that meal. The only MD I've had the 3 months I've on JUDDD was a week ago when I decided to fast until a party at 7 PM and eat "sparingly". Sparingly turned into 800-1000 calories because I literally could not stop eating as I was ravenous. It may not be the best solution but I find that I will eat before I go to an event and at most restaurants there is some sort of salad and usually have a light or fat free italian that is extremely low in calories. IF that doesn't work ask for oil and vinegar and only use the vinegar and some salt and pepper. Alternately you could order a grilled chicken with veggies etc and just eat 1/4 to1/2 of it and plate up the rest. However its almost impossible for me to "guess" how many calories I am eating at restaurants unless posted because even if it looks healthy it can contain numerous calories. In conclusion, live you life and just do the best you can. JUDDD is very forgiving and I've notice as long as I make an attempt to keep my dd's under 800 calories I still lose weight at a nice clip.

Last edited by brewstate; 08-15-2012 at 11:52 AM..
brewstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Marla:

Another way to approach it is to go to the calculator. Use the pull down menu to make a list of different WLM, DD calorie options all the way up to 45%.

On the DDs when you have an unexpected outing, allow yourself to go all the way up to 45% and still call it a DD.

I agree with everything Dawn said. What a great post! JUDD is a life-friendly WOE. We can live, enjoy, work, have unexpected social or business events thrown in and still not mess up the plan.

Also, there is really no harm in doing 2 DDs in a row IF you can do it! I know Pat and some others experimented with this a while back to see if it would speed up weight loss. They said it didn't.

If you can plan some very filling low calorie DD menus and don't feel like you are starving to death, I'd say a couple of back to back DDs to make up for several unplanned MDs or UDs would balance things out. Just MHO. It's all in the "if you can do it category."

Yesterday almost turned into a DD for me when it was a scheduled UD. That was only because I just was not hungry at all.

I only had one meal and my calories were MD level (that was after a DD the day before). I feel great today and am breezing through today's DD.

Maybe it's because I ate enough on my 11 day vacation to keep my body fueled for a month!!! I still have 3 more pounds of vacation weight to get off and I am highly motivated.

Let us know how things are going. I think you definitely should check into the gluc recipes.

Also, sometimes when I get hijacked into going to an unexpected business dinner with DH, I will stir a teaspoon or two of psyllium husks into a glass of water and glug it down right before we go out. It really helps me stick to my DD calorie allotment.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:11 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Keep in mind that while most of us use the "20% - Wt Loss Mode" selection in figuring out our calories, up to 35% is still weight loss mode. And 40% and 45% are considered "Wt Loss/Maintenance Mode"

This means that for me, where my 20% is 447 calories, 35% is 782. On days when I need to eat out on a Down Day, it really helps me to have that extra leeway, and STILL be in "Wt Loss Mode". I can eat almost anywhere for 500 calories, and still have a couple hundred for earlier or later mini-meals. It's still a Down Day!
Old 08-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post
Keep in mind that while most of us use the "20% - Wt Loss Mode" selection in figuring out our calories, up to 35% is still weight loss mode. And 40% and 45% are considered "Wt Loss/Maintenance Mode"
THIS. Thank you, Synger and Yam-Yam. I started to clue into this while I was having lunch today. Just last night I recalculated my DD percentages based on moderate activity 3-5 days a week (because I started going back to the gym this week). Based on my current weight and activity, I can go all the way to 800 calories (45%) and still be in weight loss mode according to the calculator.

I don't know why it's so hard to remember that. I have been so focused on the 500-calorie point that I keep forgetting the variables.

And Yam-Yam, I think I *could* do a couple of back to back DDs if I had to. I may keep that in my back pocket for travel.

Thank you!