Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
L-Carnitine and other stuff

"L-Carnitine, which occurs naturally in the body, is invaluable because, pure and simple, it burns fat. Its job is to bind to fatty acids and transport them into your mitochondria -- your cells' power stations -- to be used as fuel. It's also a binder of metabolic acids. A deficiency will result in acids being stored in the fatty tissue and will make weight loss even more difficult. Low levels of L-carnitine may increase food intake. Conversely, taking L-carnitine promotes weight loss and lean muscle mass and decreases BMI and body fat content. It also decreases cravings and increases energy levels (making exercise easier)."

From the book, "The PH Miracle for Weight Loss: Balance your body chemistry, Achieve Your Ideal Weight" by Robert O Young, PhD and Shelley Redford Young, best selling authors of The PH Miracle.

-Dr. Young recommends taking 200 mg of L-carnitine six times a day.

I have a bottle I bought at our local pharmacy. It is Acetyl L-Carnitine, 400 mg and in the directions section it says take one capsule 4 times per day preferably with a meal. I just took mine with my chloro-ACV -baking soda drink.

That drink sounds weird, huh? I only have had it like that yesterday and today, but I sure feel great.

He goes on after that paragraph to describe studies, one in particular where subjects were given L-Carnitine and another group a placebo. The L-Carnitine people lost an average of 11 pounds and lowered body fat% while the placebo people lost on average 1 pound and no loss of body fat%. L-C group also had significant reduction in cholesterol, blood sugar levels, and blood pressure.

I'm going to have to search for another place in the book where he talks about it contributing to sharper thinking. (Maybe if I had started taking it sooner my thinking would be sharp enough to remember where I read it since I did not book mark that part!!! Guess I was more interested in being thin than smart!)

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)

Last edited by Yam-Yam; 08-14-2012 at 05:00 PM..
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Note: Pirate Jenny asked me to start this thread because I was mentioning that I started taking L-C yesterday after reading Young's book.

It also might be great if anyone wants to chime in about other foods or supplements that any of you find helpful and why they are.

For instance, I ordered some Borage Oil after reading young's book. It's a healthy fat.

Also, I'm only buying cold pressed oils from now on. Well, I pretty much already do. But after reading his explanation of why that's so important, I'm not eating any oil that is not cold pressed.

I'm going to eat more cold pressed coconut oil. He talks about it extensively in his book and recommends other books to read that are exclusively about coconut oil.

I'll quote him later on that when I have more time.

I love how all the Judd Budds can keep learning great stuff from each other and from the books we read!

I don't agree with everything Young says in his book for sure. The copyright is 2005 so it may be that more and better research has come out since then. He seems to say fish and white meat like chicken is good but red meat is not. I have no intention of giving up steak or burgers. Ever.

And, my sister, who has a doctor helping her do the alkaline diet says he has never told her not to eat red meat.

I have to go prepare my filet mignon right now! Seriously, that's what's for dinner tonight at my house!

Last edited by Yam-Yam; 08-14-2012 at 05:11 PM..
Old 08-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Thank you, YamYam!

I've had a bottle around for a while but got lazy about taking it. Since you mentioned it on another thread, I'm trying to remember why I bought it?! I know I even looked into different forms of it, and heard/read somewhere that L-Carnitine Fumarate, specifically, is "better".

In addition to transporting fat into the mitochondria, it hangs around and "takes away" the free radicals produced by fat-burning! So it acts as an anti-oxidant, as well.

Here's a short but informative video I found on it:

New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am actually almost deathly afraid of taking anything in the evening that "increases energy"...I have serious problems with insomnia. So I will be taking it earlier in the day.
But maybe it doesn't interfere with sleep...anybody taking it, please let me know if it affects you that way.

Quote:
-Dr. Young recommends taking 200 mg of L-carnitine six times a day.
Does he say specifically when to take it?
With meals or on empty stomach?

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
I am actually almost deathly afraid of taking anything in the evening that "increases energy"...I have serious problems with insomnia. So I will be taking it earlier in the day.
But maybe it doesn't interfere with sleep...anybody taking it, please let me know if it affects you that way.

Does he say specifically when to take it?
With meals or on empty stomach?

Thanks!
He does not say. But, like I said, on my bottle it says "preferably with a meal" so I'm wondering if it's better dissolved in fat?? I always wonder that about the "with a meal" supplements. I did have a little coconut oil just before I took it to be sure it would dissolve.

The way I felt yesterday after taking it, very energetic, and today as well...makes me think I would not risk taking it later in the day. I can't drink coffee or tea past noon or I'm awake all night. Even eating an apple after dinner keeps me awake. I would never have coconut oil in the evening. It really revvs me up!
Old 08-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My bottle (L-C Fumarate, though) says "with or without food".

I'm thinking, if you want it to burn fat that's *already* in your body (), taking it without food would make sense.
Or...maybe taking it with food helps that fat get burned rather than stored?
Hmmm...darn it, I can see it working both ways.

If it doesn't aggravate insomnia, I can also see that taking it at night might be beneficial, so you can burn fat in your sleep (rather than glucose/glycogen that's stored in your liver & muscles).

Anyway, I'm working my way through 181 () reviews of the brand/type I have--Doctor's Best L-C Fumarate--on i herb. Many people are mentioning that it greatly improves athletic performance and stamina during exercise. Makes sense, if it's helping you access your fat stores. My son just started up cross-country practice; maybe this would be good to prevent runner's bonk!

YamYam, I'm reading some sample pages on Amazon and Dr Young says, "The biggest secret of all (to weight loss) is actually in what you drink, and this book reveals how keeping your body sufficiently hydrated with the right water makes all the difference." Do you know what that secret is, and would you mind sharing it?
Old 08-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I used to take l-C a couple of decades ago. Golly, all I can remember about it now is the burning fat part and, back then, it was suspected of supporting bone health. There were a lot of other healthy reasons to take it...now, what were they?

You have inspired me to go do some research! And probably buy some l-C.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:13 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 48 5'9.. 11-18-14 #176.
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
I would love to know more, so i am marking my place here.. thanks girls~
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I take L-Carnitine too, but just 1/day. I know it is good for you and helps burn fat, I just forget to take it more often. I don't even know the dose. I'm going to have to remember to take more!
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
My bottle (L-C Fumarate, though) says "with or without food".

1.I'm thinking, if you want it to burn fat that's *already* in your body (), taking it without food would make sense.
Or...maybe taking it with food helps that fat get burned rather than stored?
Hmmm...darn it, I can see it working both ways.

If it doesn't aggravate insomnia, I can also see that taking it at night might be beneficial, 2.so you can burn fat in your sleep (rather than glucose/glycogen that's stored in your liver & muscles).

Anyway, I'm working my way through 181 () reviews of the brand/type I have--Doctor's Best L-C Fumarate--on i herb. Many people are mentioning that it greatly improves athletic performance and stamina during exercise. Makes sense, if it's helping you access your fat stores. My son just started up cross-country practice; maybe this would be good to prevent runner's bonk!

YamYam, I'm reading some sample pages on Amazon and Dr Young says, "The biggest secret of all (to weight loss) is actually in what you drink, and this book reveals how keeping your body sufficiently hydrated with the right water makes all the difference." 3.Do you know what that secret is, and would you mind sharing it?
1. I can see it working both ways as well. He seems to emphasize the "burning stored fat" and so today, a DD, I think I'll take it 2 or 3 times on an empty stomach. I just took my first one with some iced tea.

2. I have read elsewhere, many times, and maybe even in this book that fat burning occurs while we sleep anyway. If you get a good, deep, long night's sleep, your fat cells produce the hormone leptin which goes through the blood stream to the hypothalamus in the brain and signals it to tell the body to release fat stores.

I had an awesome night's sleep last night and feel really refreshed so I hope I burned some stored fat off my body!! I'm not willing to experiment with taking anything at night that would keep me awake. It seems counter productive, don't you think?

3. Sure, the "secret" is in drinking akaline rich liquids. He really goes into water very extensively. He actually tested and analyzed all the different brands of bottled water on the market and has a long chart with each brand and what the PH is in each so you can compare. He says if you are drinking tap water you are not doing your body enough good. Even the water filters most people use are good for improving taste, but they don't do much for mineral content, alkalinity or the composition he is after.

As far as water, he highly recommends the PH drops. (I have not looked into those yet). And he talks about devices you can purchase and even test strips so you know your device is working.

He is a big proponent of green drinks. He has lists of alkaline foods and suggests getting a juicer and juicing the alkaline veggies.

PLUS, buy green powder and he lists what you should look for in a green powder. (Barley is one ingredient off the top of my head). I will go to the book and copy down what to look for in a green powder. I ordered one from amazon and it should be arriving today.

He even tells you how many times a day to drink the green drink.

OH! Another secret is in how much alkaline water you drink. One liter (about a quart) for every 30 or 40 pounds of body weight. (In one part he says for every 30, but in another he says 1 liter for every 40 pounds is ok.) I just remember him saying if someone weighs 210 for instance, that person should drink 7 liters of alkaline water per day. And, he gives the numbers for what the water should be at.

My sister's doctor gave her an alkalizing wand. She buys a bottle of purified water, puts the wand in and shakes it and lets it sit for a few minutes. You can see the bubbles bubbling up in it as the wand releases minerals in the water that change it to alkaline water.

She needed purified water and when my other sis and I were at the store we bought her a gallon jug of "drinking" water. She poured some into her bottle, put the wand in and ..... no bubbles. She said "I hate to tell you this but this water is not purified! Could you go back to the store and get me one that is?"

So, you can't just put the wand in regular tap water. It has to be purified water.

I found the wand on amazon and ordered it.

From the book: "Fortunately there is an easy way to make sure your water is alkaline: To each liter of water (preferably ionized or distilled), add 16 drops of sodium chlorite, or 2 to 3 teaspoons of sodium bicarbonate (plain old baking soda) or sodium silicate. Ask at your natural food store for sodium silicate or sodium chlorite."

"Eating your veggies is a step in the right direction, but drinking them is even better. Stirring some "green powder" into good water will help you maintain a highly alkaline body like nothing else. Green powder is highly concentrated nutrition, and you get the benefits of pounds of vegetables, herbs, leaves, and grasses in every teaspoonful. Green powder is rich in electrons. (You can witness that if you use a plastic scoop to get it out of the bottle - the negatively charged green powder will cling to the positively charged plastic, the way opposites do.) So it is a powerful neutralizer of acids. "

He goes on more about the green powder and talks about chlorophyll and it's magical powers. Makes me feel good that I have started drinking my liquid chlorophyll again since I got back. (Even though it turns my pee green!)

Last edited by Yam-Yam; 08-15-2012 at 09:41 AM..
Old 08-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bleargh...2-3tsp baking soda per liter?! That's a lot...I think it would taste rather odd...also, that would mean 9 tbsp of b. soda per day, for me!!! I might kersplode!!!

I'll try one liter, though, and let you guys know.

I have the pH drops & used to make alkaline water with coral calcium & some other stuff. I have a well and our water is pretty alkaline & really yummy.

Does he say anything about lemon water being alkalizing?

Thanks for posting all that info!
Old 08-15-2012, 11:52 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ok, and I remember having a concern about taking super-alkalizing supplements (not green drinks or foods)...whether it interferes with stomach acid & digestion? Is there anything about that in the book?

I'll try the baking soda water between meals for now, until I know more.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Yes! He does say that squeezing lemon juice into water makes it more alkaline.

He never talks about any alkaline supplements like pills. He talks lots about eating and drinking stuff that creates an alkaline body.

For instance, he suggests that eating one avocado per day is a great idea. He also says that eating coconut oil creates an alkaline environment. However, he does not like heating coconut oil. He says to steam veggies and then put the CO on them after you cook them.

I don't know if I totally buy that. I cook eggs and chicken in CO. And, what's the difference of heating it in a pan or letting it melt over hot veggies?? Or, stirring it into a hot drink?? Maybe it does not get quite as hot??

He said when you cook a cold pressed healthy oil over high heat in a pan, you are turning it into a trans fat. What do you think about that, P.J.??
Old 08-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Very interesting.

YamYam, you are talking about a lot of water per day! So for me it would be 6 litres. I am going to try this, but I have a feeling I won't get that far.

I am thinking I would naturally lose weight just drinking that much extra.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have read somewhere the same about the CO. I will try and dig it up for you.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

P.J. On the baking soda, I'm just doing half a teaspoon in 16 ounces of water twice per day right now and calling it good!!! Let me know how your experiment goes!
Old 08-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Very interesting.

YamYam, you are talking about a lot of water per day! So for me it would be 6 litres. I am going to try this, but I have a feeling I won't get that far.

I am thinking I would naturally lose weight just drinking that much extra.
Sunday: I'm with you! I'm just drinking as much water as I can and leaving it at that right now. If I get more motivated I may try monitoring and measuring.

I have a carafe somewhere that I measured and wrote "64 ounces" on the flat part of the white handle with a sharpie marker so I would remember how much it holds.

If I can keep filling it and keep track of how many times I drink it empty, I'll see how close I can get. !

You are probably right about losing just from drinking so much water!
Old 08-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I have read somewhere the same about the CO. I will try and dig it up for you.
Thanks! I know I read somewhere that you shouldn't heat it in the microwave. Something about the microwaves changing the molecular composition or something. Strange. But, I did stop melting it in the microwave after reading that.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
He never talks about any alkaline supplements like pills.
I was thinking about the sodium silicate & chlorite, or even baking soda.
Baking soda is an antacid; it could conceivably neutralize stomach acid, which might lead to digestive problems...I'm thinking? At least in the large amounts he's suggesting.

Quote:
However, he does not like heating coconut oil. He says to steam veggies and then put the CO on them after you cook them.

I don't know if I totally buy that. I cook eggs and chicken in CO. And, what's the difference of heating it in a pan or letting it melt over hot veggies?? Or, stirring it into a hot drink?? Maybe it does not get quite as hot??
Well, melting CO on veggies or in a drink will definitely not heat it up as much as cooking it in a frying pan.

I don't think it's bad to cook in CO. In fact, it's supposed to be one of the best oils to cook with!

Quote:
He said when you cook a cold pressed healthy oil over high heat in a pan, you are turning it into a trans fat. What do you think about that, P.J.??
I always thought that hydrogenated oils were the main source of trans fats (margarine, for example).

But I just read that when oil gets heated to the smoking point, it starts to break down. When it's re-used and re-heated, like in a deep-fryer, then it does turn into trans fat.

But I'd think that just using it once, like for sauteeing, shouldn't be a problem.

This is what the Livestrong site says about olive oil; I imagine it applies to other oils, like coconut:
Quote:
When you heat oils to their smoke point, their chemical composition begins to change as the oils break down. The amounts of antioxidants found in the oils can decrease, removing one of the oil's positive health benefits. High quality extra-virgin olive oil has a high smoke point compared to cheaper olive oils. The Olive Oil Source states that the smoke point of olive oil falls between 365 and 400 degrees F. Olive oil exposed to light and air will have a lower smoke point. Oil that's already been heated one or more times will also smoke at lower temperatures. Olive oil turns to trans fat only when repeatedly reused and heated to very high temperatures.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I put a tbsp of b. soda in a quart (almost a liter) of water, and it didn't taste as strong as I thought it would. A little salty/sweet. Probably will have good breath all day if I keep this up!

I drink other stuff that would not taste good with baking soda--green tea, hibiscus tea, lemonade--throughout the day. I don't know if I can (or need to) drink all that PLUS 7-9 liters of water. But I can add some pH drops to the other stuff.

I know this gets discussed a lot, and your experiences may be different, but I don't think drinking "extra" water results in weight loss. I discussed it with, I think, Tiva; and if it wasn't her, it was someone else whose opinion I respect very much.

Many people probably aren't drinking "enough" water, so when they start drinking more, they may find weight loss easier. But my question was, if someone is already drinking "enough" water, will drinking "extra" make them lose weight? And the answer was, no studies really show that happening.

I'm just saying this so that people don't feel bad about not forcing down quarts & quarts of water. I've been trying to drink "more" water for years, because "everybody" says it's good for you...but I've just been getting bigger & bigger & bigger.

Drinking the "alkaline water" might be different, though, than drinking extra tap or bottled water.

Btw, I'm a big fan of "the water cure", and I noticed that the book Your Body's Many Cries for Water was listed in the references.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Good stuff. Thanks for the info about olive oil and the quote about it. I would never even think of re-using oil, so I guess I'm safe. it never smokes when i cook with it, so I guess i'm not heating it to the smoke point. This is all good to know.

On the drinking of water, one of the benefits is to flush out fat that is being burned and released from fat cells. So, that's a good enough reason to drink up. Dr. Dukan does point out that drinking ice cold water forces your body to burn a few calories heating it up. He advocates sucking on ice cubes every day. If my memory serves me right, he says sucking on just 6 ice cubes per day maybe while you're watching tv or reading will result in 6 pounds of weight loss over the course of a year.

I have not been doing it. I do eat frozen blueberries though. Usually I sit with a whole cup of blueberries and eat them with a spoon. Very satisfying and yummy to me.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

PJ,

I agree that drinking extra water would not be extra weight loss if you continued to eat, but for some reason, when I drink that much water, I don't eat as much. So, it cuts out on some of my indulgences, causing calorie restriction by being so full on water.

I will definitely try this on DD, but on UD, I need the food.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

What the heck...idk if it's the baking soda water, L-carnitine, or a coincidence, but my blood glucose is 78 right now!!! And I'm not shaking!!!

I had a protein shake for breakfast (70 calories) and a pretty low-carb lunch--pork chop, 2 eggs, cottage cheese, 4-5 corn chips--so I was hoping it would be good...but not that good!!! It might actually be a little too low for me; my eyes are itching like crazy and I feel like taking a nap. Lol--it's always something!

Waking BG: 116
Took 2 L-carnitine (500mg each), waited an hour, had my protein, errands for 2 hours, BG before lunch (3 hours ago) was 95.

Last edited by piratejenny; 08-15-2012 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 08-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ooh, this is good to know:
Quote:
Dr. Spreen: "Don't take l- carnitine (or any other amino compound supplement) with a high-protein meal.There are a limited number of receptors for protein substances (protein foods are composed of amino acids), so the supplement you paid good money for will be 'diluted' by the presence of other proteinaceous substances in the digestive neighborhood. That is not true of most other supplements, which should be taken with food."
I just Googled "l-carnitine + diabetes" and found some very promising stuff!
It looks like it really does work as an anti-oxidant.
Check this out if you have time:
L-Carnitine as an alternative treatment for type-2 diabetes
Old 08-15-2012, 04:12 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Great to know PJ!
I looked up my L-Carnitine and it is the same as you use. It says to take on empty stomach. This may be why.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:47 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 9/22/14
I invested in L-Carnitine a couple/few years ago when that CLA mix was all the rage. Didn't do a darn thing for me. This stuff is pretty expensive (to me) - do I dare invest in it again???

I love my little coconut bark things and the soft lips I get when I put CO in my coffee (when I remember to). It did help move things along after my surgery, but I've never gotten the other great benefits others rave about. I think my body is immune to anything that seems to work for everyone else!

Not really expecting an answer here - just wanting to keep an eye on how the L-A does for everyone.

Yes, I'm going to track every loss when I get it!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

P.J.: My 70 year old sister has diabetes. Since she has been drinking the alkaline water and following the alkaline diet her doctor put her on, her morning readings have gone from 151 and higher to a consistent 77-78. She feels and looks awesome. She has lost 28 pounds and has more energy and more appetite control.

Also, I don't really understand what "taking insulin" means but she said her intake has gone from 23 to 9 and her doctor expects she will be able to lower it again soon. She told me that is an amazing and good progression.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:12 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I think my body is immune to anything that seems to work for everyone else!
I know what you mean...I feel like my body just neutralizes any good thing I put in it...especially a few years ago when I spent a good bit of money on some sort of super-amazing algae or chlorella and all it did was make me tired/crappy...almost to the point of feeling hungover.

Someone (sunday, I think) recently mentioned, though, that this can be a sign of adrenal fatigue or imbalance--if things don't affect you the way they "should", or have the opposite effect.

Another idea I've been looking at is different metabolic types* need different supplements in different amounts...one type produces a lot more free radicals than the other, for example.

*I haven't made heads or tails of it yet, but there are fast-oxidizers & slow-oxidizers, anaerobic & dysaerobic...

Last edited by piratejenny; 08-16-2012 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: forgot a word!
Old 08-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm a fast oxidizer according to the questionnaire in Jillian Michaels' book. I did that a few years ago when I read her book and found it to be right on and her recommendations for what to eat for health and weight loss was right on for me, too.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:23 AM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
P.J.: My 70 year old sister has diabetes. Since she has been drinking the alkaline water and following the alkaline diet her doctor put her on, her morning readings have gone from 151 and higher to a consistent 77-78. She feels and looks awesome. She has lost 28 pounds and has more energy and more appetite control.

Also, I don't really understand what "taking insulin" means but she said her intake has gone from 23 to 9 and her doctor expects she will be able to lower it again soon. She told me that is an amazing and good progression.
WOW!!! THAT *IS* AMAZING!!!

My morning readings used to be in the 140s and after more than a year of medication/lower carb have gone down to 115-120. An improvement, sure, but not an astounding one. And for all the GI distress my medication has caused, it hardly feels worth it at times.

I don't take insulin, but that probably refers to "units"...imagine someone going from taking 23 pain pills a day to 9...that gives you an idea of what a vast improvement she's experiencing. :ntworthy:

How long has she been doing this? You probably mentioned it but I am too excited to find it.

If she's doing so well, and her numbers were higher than mine, that makes me pretty darn optimistic!!!

If alkaline=better blood glucose, I "get" how it could cause weight loss.
Or at least one of the ways could work...I'm sure it has many other positive effects on the body. For example, last night I was reading how calcium is important in signaling the body whether to store fat...when we're too acidic, calcium is needed to balance pH; when we're alkaline, there is probably more calcium available for other uses.

Last edited by piratejenny; 08-16-2012 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: add sentence