Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 01:10 PM   #121
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 9/22/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
See Vanilla, this is why you won't give up, we all love you too much and you would miss the abuse I give you. You know that I'm right, just keep on keeping on girl.
This is SO true!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2012, 03:35 PM   #122
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Holy carp, this alkaline stuff is POWERFUL!
BG is 63!!!

Can't believe I don't feel weak or ill!??!!

I even had a carby lunch about 4 hours ago...that eggplant parm I've been dreaming about, plus half a roll.

Going to post about this over in the diabetes section soon...this is so exciting!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #123
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Okay, PJ, you've just about convinced me to try this too, after I swore I wasn't going to try anything else. I do not have any BG issues, but if it's doing good things for your appetite too, I figure it can't hurt to try it.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:01 PM   #124
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, at least it's just a box of baking soda, not a $20+ bottle of something! And you can use it for about 200 other things.
Or you can use lemons instead.

Just a thought--I don't know if the baking soda will lower your blood sugar a lot (maybe it just helps it get to a normal range), but some people get hungry when their blood sugar is low.

I *doubt* that will happen; I'd also be very surprised if lemons could make anyone's blood sugar get *too* low...as I said, I haven't felt shaky or anything...but if you feel off, that may be why.

Good luck! Let me know how it goes, if you try it!
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 08-24-2012 at 04:06 PM..
Old 08-25-2012, 08:32 AM   #125

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I got a fresh box of baking soda and then had to use google to figure out how many ounces are in my 1.5 liter bottle! I put 3/4 tsp baking soda to 1.5 liters water. I tasted it and it tastes fine. Now it's chilling in the fridge while I finish my coffee.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:57 PM   #126
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: C'Marie
Stats: 270/down 110-ish/ goal 147
WOE: hCG Rx shots/JUDDD maintain
Start Date: 1/4/2010 Now R9 P2
Someone mentioned celtic salt and adrenal fatigue..... I've been adding 1/4 tsp celtic salt to one of my daily big cups of water, along with some liquid magnesium (100mg) and had no idea it could help with alkalinity also. I'm thinking of getting some of those ph strips since I don't test my bg and am slightly averse to sticking myself to do so.... do you think that would be scientific enough? To do what I've been doing and then also add baking soda ? I noticed every time I did that celtic salt and magnesium to my water hunger was gone. And when I did the hcg diet I always used tons of lemon water but true hunger did come up at mealtime. I had no idea that was alkaline, either. Are limes?

HCG Rx to lose - JUDDD to maintain
C'Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:59 PM   #127
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'Marie View Post
I'm thinking of getting some of those ph strips since I don't test my bg and am slightly averse to sticking myself to do so.... do you think that would be scientific enough?
Yes. The alkalizing is supposed to help with weight loss & lots of health problems, so it would be good to know if you're getting enough alkaline water (and/or food).
I'm just sharing my bg results for anyone else who might be diabetic.
No reason for anyone who doesn't need to test bg to start doing so.

Btw--you can also get pH tape, which I think is more economical. 15 ft for about $7 (online).

To do what I've been doing and then also add baking soda ?
Yes. If you need it. The salt & mag might be enough;
you'll know if you use the pH strips.

I noticed every time I did that celtic salt and magnesium to my water hunger was gone.
Cool! Me too, with the baking soda water.

And when I did the hcg diet I always used tons of lemon water but true hunger did come up at mealtime. I had no idea that was alkaline, either. Are limes?
Yes.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:03 PM   #128
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
It's really interesting to come and catch up here.

DawnS.C.: There are probably many diets that are similar mostly because limiting bread and focusing on proteins and veggies really works.

P.J. Your BG is really responding in a good way to this! Keep reporting!

Dawn: It will be interesting to see if the baking soda water has any significant effect on your appetite. As I said before, I'm a wee bit worried about the sodium content though P.J. mentioned that the alkalinity might cancel out the sodium. I have not been doing the baking soda. Just occasionally drinking the liquid chlorophyll water. I'm out of lemons and limes but they are on my shopping list.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #129
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just an update on alkaline water:
I gained a lot of weight the last couple weeks since starting the water (about 3lbs, but up at least 6lbs since the beginning of August) so 2 days ago I decided to cut out the baking soda in case it *is* causing water retention. I'm using things like "pH drops", coral calcium, & fresh limes instead.

I didn't have puffy hands or feet like I usually do when I retain water, but I do seem to have gone down a couple pounds already. *Whew*!!!

I'm also going to try cutting out wheat this week. I don't eat a *lot* of bread or pasta due to my diabetes, but I like to have a couple of crackers, a low-cal/low-carb wrap & a "Sandwich Thin" occasionally, and they are awfully convenient.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #130
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
Is anyone still taking l-carnitine┐ I just ordered acetyl l carnitine and 5 htp.
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #131
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just reporting that I went back to baking soda yesterday.

My weight has been ALL over the place.
Going off the baking soda and using pH drops, I went down a couple pounds for a couple of days, but then I ovulated and a bunch of pounds came back. GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Anyway, last night I took 1/2tsp of baking soda because my pH strips have been testing "acidic" for a couple days, and I wanted to see them more in the alkaline range. And I experienced SUCH appetite suppression!!! I ate dinner before 5 and went to bed at midnight without eating or drinking a single calorie. (I did wake up at 3am and I believe I ate something...but I can't remember what! )

Today I had breakfast around 10am, drank my "soda water", and didn't get hungry all day. I finally ate around 6:00pm because I'm trying to eat dinner no later than 7 or 8pm; also, I took my son shopping for shoes and he wanted to eat while we were out, and I wouldn't have been home in time to make dinner before the cut-off!

So, I decided I don't care if the baking soda causes a bit of water retention if I'm getting such strong appetite suppression! And if I have an extra 5lbs on me but it's all water, what difference does that make? I feel like the "extra" water might be from being better hydrated, because, as I mentioned before, I'm not actually getting puffy feet or hands.

Last edited by piratejenny; 09-05-2012 at 09:36 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 09-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #132
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That is good to know. Do you think you'd get the same appetite suppression from the alkaline drops but then not the puffy? Or is that what you tried and it didn't work as well? Did it make you "as" alkaline as the baking soda?

One concern I had is when my momma reminded me that Adele Davis (author of Let's Eat Right from the olden days LOL) said that baking soda destroyed B vitamins. Here I am trying to UP my B vitamins for stress like my ND said to do and then taking soda.... wonder at what point in the day that is an issue? How far apart would they have to be?
Old 09-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #133
Blabbermouth!!!

Just wanted to pop in here. I did a Google search about apple cider vinegar and found some really good articles. One tablespoon of ACV in 8 ounces of water turns the water alkaline and also acts as a diuretic, appetite suppressant and as a bonus, ACV is packed with potassium which I really need.

So, I'm alternating days. Some days I drink water with ACV. Some days I squeeze lemon in my water all day.

I have not bought the test strips. Don't think I'm going to.

Right now I feel like I need to keep things as simple as possible and just do my rotations.

LOU: I stopped taking the L-Carnitine when someone mentioned that it works best with exercise. I'm trying to find the motivation to get back into a formal exercise routine. Don't know what's wrong with me but I'm rebelling against going to the gym right now! I know I need to. I just don't have the "want to" right now.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #134

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
So you are telling me that my 2 TBL of ACV daily are OK? That is all I need? Good because I didn't do the baking soda in the water for more than 2 days. Just didn't like the taste. Yay for ACV!!!
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #135
Blabbermouth!!!

Dawn: Yep. I only did the baking soda for a couple of days. When I realized the sodium content it freaked me out. Silly, probably. But I did notice the scale going up after the initial drop after the first day of doing it. I did not have puffiness or anything so like PJ said, it probably hydrates you and regulates water retention.

Like you, I like the taste of ACV better. So, for now I'm sticking with it.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #136
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
That is good to know. Do you think you'd get the same appetite suppression from the alkaline drops but then not the puffy? Or is that what you tried and it didn't work as well? Did it make you "as" alkaline as the baking soda?

One concern I had is when my momma reminded me that Adele Davis (author of Let's Eat Right from the olden days LOL) said that baking soda destroyed B vitamins. Here I am trying to UP my B vitamins for stress like my ND said to do and then taking soda.... wonder at what point in the day that is an issue? How far apart would they have to be?
Right...I was using pH drops but did not notice the appetite suppression being as strong. And baking soda is a much more powerful alkalizer. Half a teaspoon usually shows up on the pH strips as having an effect pretty quickly. Both of them, as well as lemons/limes, seem to work well on my blood sugar.

When I remember...I take my Bs in the morning, because they're supposed to give you energy. I did not know that about bsoda interfering with them...thanks for that info. I'll look into it. earthclinic is a good place to get info on home remedies, and a lot of people there are "alkalizing", so maybe I'll ask over there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Just wanted to pop in here. I did a Google search about apple cider vinegar and found some really good articles. One tablespoon of ACV in 8 ounces of water turns the water alkaline and also acts as a diuretic, appetite suppressant and as a bonus, ACV is packed with potassium which I really need.
Just for science...not to be contrary...but I'd like to point out that adding ACV doesn't make water alkaline; I just tested with pH paper to be absolutely sure!!! It will be "alkalizing" once ingested, though.

I also looked up how much potassium is in a tbsp of ACV, and it's only 10-15mg. That's about 1/3-1/2 of 1% of the RDA, so I wouldn't say it's "packed" with potassium. By comparison, 1 oz of banana has 100mg (3% of RDA).

I use NuSalt as a cheap potassium source. 1/6 of a tsp has 530mg. I don't like the taste, so I fill gel caps with it.

you guys!
Old 09-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #137
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SuePro
WOE: Low Carb
Sounds interesting. Subscribing
SuePro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:09 PM   #138
Blabbermouth!!!

PJ: That's very interesting about it not being alkalizing until you drink it. However it works is good I guess.

Oh, I bought the salt you recommended. Have not used any yet. I'm not used to using salt when I cook, bake or eat. I've heard of people, like Adi, putting a bit of salt in their water every day. How much should I add to 8 ounces of water if I were to do it?
Old 09-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #139
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Water Cure 2
This site says 1/16th tsp per 8oz.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #140
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks! I don't have measuring spoons that small. Help me with math. Would 1/16 be half of 1/4?? I have a 1/4 measuring spoon.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #141
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

No, it would be 1/4 of 1/4.

You could mix up more at a time, if that would be easier.
16oz + 1/8 tsp
32oz + 1/4 tsp
Old 09-07-2012, 07:32 AM   #142
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stargazer
Stats: 190/166/147 5' 10"
WOE: Juddd/ Dukan
Start Date: March 2012
Good grief, that water cure is nuts. Drinking too much water can kill you. It dilutes vital minerals.

I think we need to be a bit sceptical when it comes to health claims on the internet. I always Google them and look for critical posts and Quackwatch.

My grandparents were early adopter health food nuts and were very careful not to become acidic. They had huge salads for their meals. Grandma lived to 85 and grandpa to 97. Although when she died he lived on a diet of warmed over pies.

A paleo/low carb diet would be low acidic so most of us would be ok from this point of view anyway. I am definitely doing the glass of water with a lemon squeezed in it first thing in the morning. It's said to be a good habit by a lot of people. Bi carb would be too much salt.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:53 AM   #143
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Drinking too much water can kill you. It dilutes vital minerals.
I totally agree with you, and I'm always begging people not to "guzzle" large amounts of water
(especially when they think it will help them lose weight) without adding electrolytes.

BUT--that's why the water cure says to add salt!!!
It's largely about the salt, not just the water.
And it says to drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces, which seems pretty standard, not "nuts", advice.
I've seen lots of articles that say to drink *all* your body weight in ounces!!!

I had meant to link to the water "recipe" page, not the home page, which is rather sensationalist,
but the website doesn't link to individual pages. (?!)
If you scroll down to & click on "critical water cure info", you can then click on the recipe.
(Which is 1/8tsp unrefined salt per 16oz water, if anyone prefers a shortcut. )
[ETA: however, that "recipe" page gives a lot of cautions against drinking too much water too fast, adding more water than you're used to too quickly, and what to do if you experience any puffiness in the eyelids, fingers, ankles, etc, or if you are urinating too frequently or not enough. I do recommend looking it over if you are interested in trying it. Personally, I don't follow it to a T, but I do add minerals to my water and use unrefined sea or Himalayan salt. I also will "eat" a bit of salt, then drink a glass of water, between meals if I feel hungry or have a headache. Having the salt before bed helps me sleep through the night without potty trips.)

Here's a slightly less nutty-looking site:
WaterCure | Frequently Asked Questions

Last edited by piratejenny; 09-07-2012 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: ETA
Old 09-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #144
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have been doing better energy wise during the day after adding 1/4 tsp celtic salt two times a day to my regular water intake. Even with less sleep at night. Go figure.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #145

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
I have been doing better energy wise during the day after adding 1/4 tsp celtic salt two times a day to my regular water intake. Even with less sleep at night. Go figure.
Fantastic news!!!! That is great Marie!
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:30 AM   #146
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
I've been using lemon squeezed into water each morning since the 70's. Don't know if it's improved my health but it just is a good start to my day and the few times I haven't been able to drink it, I miss it.

I was also using a buffered V-C powder, Nutricology brand, I think but then I decided that I wanted more control over the V-C so am now mixing pure C crystals and Ecological Formula Tri Salts.

I did not realize that the Tri Salts say for alkalizing on the label. I just saw it as a way to get some minerals and buffer the C.

Anyway, both are not expensive formulas.
Ecological Formula has calcium which I am not sure I need.
I still take a bottle of Nutricology when I travel.

Even using these products, LC leg cramps can be a problem and the thing that totally controls this is adding lite salt to fluids.
I think it was a Dr Bernstein recipe which basically says add 1/4 t to a quart of flavored fluid (or water).
I use 1/8 t per quart and usaully make up a drink of unflavored kool aid w stevia (very lightly flavored) or sometimes a sprinkle of sf tea or just a green tea bag in my quart.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #147
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just wanted to report back on another bonus:

I had a cramp-free TOM last week!

I haven't been adding "alkalizers" to my water quite as often lately, because I'm following a new plan ("The Diabetes Miracle" by Diane Kress), and my BG seems to be pretty low/stable already...and I've just been forgetting......but a couple times when I did feel cramps starting, I made a point of drinking some water with about 1/8-1/4tsp of baking soda, just to see if that's what was making the difference this month, and the pain subsided quite quickly!

Once again, I did not have any PMS cravings, so TOM caught me by surprise...
Old 09-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #148
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, and another benefit that I noticed quite a while ago, but don't think I mentioned--

Greatly reduced pain/creakiness in the morning!

I don't wake up in a *lot* of pain, but my ankles aren't particularly flexible in the morning, so I have to "shuffle" for a little while; and my back might feel a bit stiff. Takes a little while--or a hot shower--to loosen up.

However, when I drink the alkaline water and especially if I take a little extra baking soda before bed, I wake up feeling quite normal, flexible, and pain-free.

Last edited by piratejenny; 09-26-2012 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: forgot a word!
Old 09-27-2012, 12:37 AM   #149
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

@PJ ------ WHOA! Less creaking in the morning would be good. Really good. Baking soda at night, B vitamins in the morning I would think that would separate them good enough!