Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Oh Goodie, My First Binge

Pretty angry at myself today.

I don't know what the hell happened yesterday but for the first time since starting JUDDD, I not only ate past my Up Day calorie allotment, but I ate way past the point of fullness, nearly making myself sick.

And I don't know why.

I guess I thought if I ever snapped it would be on a Down Day. That's not how it shook out. I'm writing this post in the hopes that I can identify where things went so wrong so that I can avoid them in the future. Here are the various factors that may or may not be relevant.

1) The previous Down Day was fairly manageable. I was trying to replicate Pat's mini-meal experiment, so I was never satisfied at any point but only low-grade hungry all day until bed, by which time I was very hungry and irritable.

2) Woke up ravenously hungry. This was a first for me on an up day. Usually, no matter how hungry I was when I went to bed the night before, I wake up with a healthy, but not outrageous, appetite. This was the first up day that I felt slightly out of control from the moment I got out of bed. I maybe should have taken that as a warning of things to come...

3) Was out shopping and running errands with my sister all morning. We went out to lunch at a buffet. I wasn't happy about being unable to count calories--how does one estimate the calorie count of a gourmet Tuscan tomato flan?--but I made relatively nice choices, including vegetables, etc. I definitely filled my plate, but normally, I might make several trips back to a buffet bar so I counted only one plate full as a win. It was all really good. I didn't realize how full I was until it was too late and I'd already eaten it. Not good. I thought, maybe I ate too fast. Certainly my stomach is shrinking, that's a good thing. Right, right? But then things got worse.

4) Because I'd left my husband home all day alone working while I was off with my sister, I was charged with bringing dinner home. I chose kebobs, the calorie counts I checked first, and a cheese flight, the counts of which I did not know but he's a big fan of such things, and a loaf of fresh Marco Polo bread from Wegman's bakery. I wasn't hungry from lunch--but I didn't know how many calories I had in for the day. And I thought I might not have enough--and if I go into another Down Day with too few calories to fuel me, it's going to be ugly. So I decided to have a small dinner. And I did that, darn it, until a piece of that bread touched my lips.

5) In my defense, it may have been the best bread I've ever tasted. However, I just don't know what happened here. I went into some kind of wild shark frenzy of eating. I ate bread with cheese on it, I ate bread with truffle butter on it, and I ate bread with nothing on it. I wasn't hungry but I might have stabbed someone with a fork if they'd tried to take that bread away.

It was a total snap.

I went to bed feeling overstuffed and furious at myself. I tried to total up the damage by guess-timating. It was probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 3,000 calories. Maybe higher. Was afraid to get on the scale this morning, but forced myself to do it anyway as a measure of accountability.

It was not pretty.

And to make matters worse, I actually woke up with my stomach growling in hunger this morning. How?! Why? Do I have a tapeworm? (Maybe I should get a tapeworm...)

Last edited by stephdray; 08-13-2012 at 09:33 AM..
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March, 2009
It's the white flour. Especially if found in a particularly satisfying bread/cake. It sort of "demands" that you need to eat more, either of it or of another food.

There's another thread running here about ice cream. For me, ice cream and other milk-based treats like puddings don't cause this. They leave your thinking processes alone. But white flour? It messes with your mind.

Hop back onto plan with the next DD - no worries.
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
There is no castigation allowed on JUDDD. You lived the day, and you will learn from it. That's one of the best things about this program. UUADs happen, and as long as you can take one nugget of information from it to help you the next time you feel yourself heading that direction, it's a win.

I took my daughter to a very well-known ice cream shop here yesterday, on our way to a baby shower. We had sandwiches and then--I don't even like ice cream, but she wanted a banana split, and they are HUGE there, so I had about a third of it, just to help her out you see. Then we got to the baby shower, and there was a TON of food set out. The shower was at 2:00, so I assumed food would be minimal. I was good, having just a small amount of this and that, but had to estimate my calories, and then didn't have very many left over for dinner. So, long story short, I adjusted my dinner, so my calorie count would remain "decent" despite my debauchery. This is something I've learned on JUDDD. I enter everything into my calorie counter before I eat it. Even at the shower, even having to estimate. It may seem OCD, but it's the only way "for me" to make this work.

You will find what works for you. This is but a one-day divergence.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I agree with Whitlin. I have to stay away from white flour and home baked bread. Same with tortilla chips.

We have all done this Steph, but the great thing is that JUDDD will work it out for you when you get back in the swing.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:31 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Great post Dawn! No castigation on JUDDD!!!

One other thought, this learning process really sets in the further you go down the road with JUDDD. I am just now figuring a lot of things out with my own physical needs and I have been JUDDDing 6 months.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 48 5'9.. 11-18-14 #176.
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Well girly you are not alone!! I think we all get those "non stop" Eating days.. I know i did not to long ago.. I think in part for me, it was depression eating..Some times i do soo well and then for no reason at all on an up day i say..Screw this counting thing and i eat eat EAT and yes i feel awfull after. The good thing is,, it seamed that my body was asking for it..Yea the next day weigh in was ugly.. but!! After the next down day it was not only all gone it took with it a new pound and half!!! I really think we have to have a day like this for our body to say,, Hey its ok,, shes feeding us agin.. And it sure make my tounge happy too ... I also think in part we all go thru diet fatigue in a mental sence that says.. i just dont care for today.. But as long as we get back on the next day.. its ok.. Also..Once you start to really feed kind of carfree like that.. i think we ARE hungrier the next day.. it just plan ole feels great to eat agin! Just my thought here today on this subject,, i think your goin to do just fine steph but grab hold of the reins and start agian~ (thats what i had to do)
1995 190# Low fat
2012 225#
2012 found JUDDD
166# current 2014
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:36 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: buttah
Stats: 189/137/136-140
WOE: peri-meno "corrective" R4
Start Date: LowCal/Dukan/JUDD 2/12-8/12, then 3 rounds rxHCG
I did the same thing yesterday, on my UD! My calories were still under the calculator, but I know I ate too much (I totally see why Dr. J just says not to overeat, rather than "eat your full calories.") And I didn't feel good.

Good lesson learned. Stay with the Hunger Scale!
buttah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:39 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttah View Post
I did the same thing yesterday, on my UD! My calories were still under the calculator, but I know I ate too much (I totally see why Dr. J just says not to overeat, rather than "eat your full calories.") And I didn't feel good.

Good lesson learned. Stay with the Hunger Scale!
Now i have read the bok .. and i still want to know where is the section that talks about calories for Bordom eating?? Like how many can we have a BD
Old 08-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
This reminds me of lessons I have gone through during my JUDDD journey. As others mentioned, there is something in certain foods that just makes all heck break loose and before you know it, you are eating the house and everything in it. Bread does that to me. It is like it is laced with some highly addictive substance. I completely lose control. I have various trigger foods I know I can't eat unless I want to experience the dreaded binge. Peanut butter, tortilla chips brought home ( I can handle them at a restaurant as there is a limited amount), and bread products.

Also, I cannot do the tiny meals throughout the day on a DD. Each body is very very different and what works for one may not for another. I tried tiny meals throughout the day when I first began and each little mouthful woke up the hungry beast in me more and more throughout the day. Even if my mini meals were just protein or low glycemic. t was like it stimulated some hunger hormone in me and my constant thought throughout the day was about eating. So I know now that doesn't work for my body.

It's a learning process. Definitely a learning process. Each thing that happens like that teaches us a valuable lesson about our body.

Put away all whips and other items you might beat yourself up with today and have a good day today. We've all been there.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
There is no castigation allowed on JUDDD.
Ok. *breathes deep* You're right.

Also, the cyclical nature of JUDDD does enforce consistency. Now it's a DD. I haven't jumped off the wagon. I just dragged my foot in the dirt for two meals. And frankly, I did not gain all this weight by screwing up two meals every six weeks :P

Quote:
This is something I've learned on JUDDD. I enter everything into my calorie counter before I eat it. Even at the shower, even having to estimate. It may seem OCD, but it's the only way "for me" to make this work.
It's an excellent habit and one I should adopt. I either add my calories in advance of a meal or after it, but I do find that I stay on plan better when I put the calories into the counter in advance. Sometimes a whole day's worth.

I guess instead of thinking, "Ok, this is just going to be one of those Up Days where I can't count" I need to be thinking, "This is just going to be one of those Up Days where everything is a rough estimate."

Thanks, everyone.

And I think instead of telling myself that I will never have that bread in the house again, I will simply make a rule for myself that when I have that bread in the house, I'll portion it out and freeze the remainder.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marlamp10
Stats: 251/224.2/140
Start Date: JUDDD REstart 05/09/14 at 232.5
I'm new to this and have never tried the mini-meals all day approach, but it sounds like that's where your problem started (being ravenously hungry when you got up the next day). And you didn't mention whether you ate breakfast when you got up hungry. So if you got up starving and then didn't eat until lunchtime, it seems like that would definitely help set you up for a blowout.

I have the same problem with breads (white, whole-grain, whatever) and chips. I'm just a grains fiend. The only way I can handle them is if I am eating a controlled amount--i.e., someone else has packaged them for me--and with a fair amount of protein, like in a sandwich. Once I get started with bread, especially if butter is around, I can easily inhale the entire loaf. It's a big trigger food.

That "no castigation" thing definitely works for me. ..

Marla
marlamp10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Well girly you are not alone!! I think we all get those "non stop" Eating days..
Thank you for all making me feel as if I'm not alone. Not that I want anyone else to experience binge eating but you're all so wonderful to me I'm gonna get a little teary.

Quote:
Some times i do soo well and then for no reason at all on an up day i say..Screw this counting thing and i eat eat EAT and yes i feel awfull after.
There might have been some rebellion or overconfidence in there somewhere for sure.

Quote:
The good thing is,, it seamed that my body was asking for it..
That is possible. I mean, ever since I came back from vacation, my body has been fighting me on JUDDD. And I guess that's the body's job--it'll fight to hold onto its fat stores. It will lie in wait for an opportunity to grab more calories. That's traditionally been an evolutionary strength, so I guess sometimes your body is just going to win a battle over your mind, even if the mind is going to win the war.

Quote:
I also think in part we all go thru diet fatigue in a mental sence that says.. i just dont care for today..
That also might be true. I know that last week, DDs were super hard for me again and I was very frustrated by that b/c I thought I had them under control.

Quote:
i think your goin to do just fine steph but grab hold of the reins and start agian~ (thats what i had to do)
Thank you! And I'm back in it today, drinking mint tea until lunch time.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sdjade
Start Date: LC 10-2011, JUDDD 04-01-2012
Steph. I think we have all been there in some form or another (bread, ice cream, chips, etc). When I feel that I just can't get my fill of x food, I say to myself "am I really hungry?" (because I know I'm not) and also I look at veggies in the fridge and say "if you really are hungry, then you should eat broccoli". Usually that is enough of a mental trigger to stop the madness.

I too find that if I stuff myself on an UD, the next morning I wake up with a growling stomach. What's up with that? Shouldn't we at least get an easy DD? I can't figure that one out.

The good news is that JUDDD is forgiving and as long as you get right back into your rotations you will be fine! Think of your DD today as a sort of cleansing from yesterday and don't punish yourself!
Old 08-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Sterlinggirl, I'm not sure what you're asking. I don't recall Dr. Johnson talking about Boredom eating. But I do know that he NEVER says you *must* eat up to any number of calories on UD's. In fact, he says just to not overeat (which means get too full or stuff yourself), and there is a post somewhere on this forum from Leo-something, where she confirmed this personally with Dr. J. He told her the UD number on the calculator is more of a BMR guideline (but that doesn't mean any individual personally needs that number), and a limit than a requirement. Therefore, taking him at his word, eating past the level of satisfaction is eating too much on UD's.

(Combining this with what I have read in other books, especially Weight Loss Apocalypse but also Intuitive Eating, fat people tend to eat past hunger or when they're not even truly hungry to begin with.)
Old 08-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
It's the BREAD!!

Buffet meals are hard to calculate and I think that not going back for more proves that you are doing well.

Some things just tantilize us and make our taste buds overreact. That bread did it for you.

Nancy has taught me this; if something is a trigger, usher it out and then try it again later in your JUDDD life.
The longer you JUDDD, the more likely you are to lose that urge to binge.

Anyway, 'that was yesterday and yesterday's gone'.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Oh, man, Steph. Sistah. I am the queen of this one. Makes me uncomfortable reading it, but thanks, thanks for posting this.

DDs are hard, but they are nothing compared to the snap UUADs for me.

I agree about flour, chips, and all the triggers.

I read what Dawn says, about write before you eat, which works well for me except on these days, because, as far as I can see, the snap begins wayyyyy before I can start counting.

Here's my neophyte's perspective on my own rendition.

1. I'm a perfectionist, so that every chink in a day adds up (failed recipe on a DD, new method on a DD, bad phone call on a DD, etc., etc.) Even while I'm doing the day successfully, an opposing force is building. I wake up out of control on UD.

2. I am of two minds. One got me fat. The other is getting me slim and happier. With every chink from point #1, my new mind, the slim one, gets a bit rocked. A bit unsteady. And with every chink, my old, screw-this-discipline mind rears up. Some balance begins to tip. I'm okay for a bit. I'm sane for a bit. And then I snap. Food is in my mouth without any thought or capacity for thought. I don't snap out of it till I'm stuffed.

My current approaches:

1. Instant forgiveness. Otherwise I'm feeding the opposing force.

2. Understanding this is a practice, and that this particular part of practice is important or I wouldn't keep experiencing it.

3. My old mind and my new mind began a bizillion miles apart. I'm bringing them together through this JUDDDing. I can feel that. And a miracle this size won't happen without practice and some fierce love for myself.

4 I keep looking at the part of me that wants the snap. Rather than condemn that part outright, I consider that this part loves freedom, spontaneity, and wild excess. Those qualities are lovely. I want them to be a part of my life. My job is to hear this and find new, constructive ways to include these things in my life.

This is working. Slowly.

Anyway, blah, blah. I do suspect a lot of us who carry weight are floating on top of a sea of these kinds of issues. How lucky are we to be exploring them while taking excellent care of ourselves?

So happy to be learning from you.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brewstate
Stats: 238/192/129
WOE: LC JUDDD (started at 190)
Start Date: April 15, 2009
First of all breathe, it wasn't really a binge as a binge goes on and on and on. It was a day of a few hundred calories over what you should have eaten. That's it. Plus, as you said, you ENJOYED it. That in itself is wonderful. It was so delicious you couldn't stop. I've had major 3000 calorie binges before where I didn't even enjoy the food I was eating. Tasteless cake, too salty chips, and all sorts of other horrid things . They weren't "the best bread I've ever eaten" they were meh, but I ate them anyway and for no reason I could later explain.

The total sum of it is you got a few extra calories and a lesson about portion control for trigger foods. That's it. No damage done. You didn't permanently destroy your metabolism, you just ate too much. Now have a great down day and a more controlled up day and enjoy that you are not making yourself crazy over food. You have much more important things to think about that that
Old 08-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 9/22/14
All such good advice and love the "no castigation on JUDDD". I agree with the bread, which I why I try to stay mainly low carb. Carbs do me in and I'll overreat everytime.

Sounds like you've already got a plan and what you said was right - "And frankly, I did not gain all this weight by screwing up two meals every six weeks."
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/145.8/145
Start Date: March 2012
This happened to me a lot on UD's in the first few months of JUDDD (went way over 3000 cals quite a few times, stopped counting after 3000!) Anyway, I never did figure out why it happened or what foods triggered it but after 3 months I just stopped doing it. I don't think I really mastered it, I think that after 3 months of following JUDDD it just all got way easier. I would just have the best DD I could afterwards and kept JUDDDIng. I also lost most of the weight that I was never able to get rid of during that period so don't worry if you get some big bounces on the scale. Sometimes my weight would bounce down to a new low after the next DD. Not sure why but it all seems to even out and get easier over time. I hope it all gets easier for you too soon.
Sounds like really good fresh bread! DD here so I should probably not think about that too much!
Old 08-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #20

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51 View Post
It's the BREAD!!

Buffet meals are hard to calculate and I think that not going back for more proves that you are doing well.

Some things just tantilize us and make our taste buds overreact. That bread did it for you.

Nancy has taught me this; if something is a trigger, usher it out and then try it again later in your JUDDD life.
The longer you JUDDD, the more likely you are to lose that urge to binge.

Anyway, 'that was yesterday and yesterday's gone'.
The above highlighted portion is true. When I was reading your first post in this thread, about eating all that bread... I was busy eating a frosted cinnamon roll, warmed up enough that it is sitting in a pool of melted golden butter all around it, and as I was reading of your trouble, I was enjoying every cinnamon-y bite of my roll.

I bought the four-pack of rolls yesterday, but was easily able to wait until this afternoon to enjoy my first one. I know you'll get there tool

And you know what? I'll bet you did no real damage to your diet progress. JUDDD is such a forgiving plan that if and when we have the occasional Up, Up and Awa-a-ay Day, it's rarely so much as a blip on the radar. You ate too much bread. You enjoyed the dickens out of it. That event is past, and JUDDD doesn't even really care. You just get back to it and your body is immediately back responding to your fasting/feasting cycle. On these over-eating occasions, we sometimes see some water weight gain pretty immediately on the scale, but that's about all it is, just water weight from a little extra *carbing up*.. and after a couple of DDs, it's gone again. If it even occurs in the first place.

I just wouldn't worry about this at all. It happens to most of us. It's even sometimes fun. And then you just get to JUDDDing again. No big deal.

So I really enjoyed my cinnamon roll, and will look forward to having another one sometime. Maybe even.. later today.

Last edited by SoHappy; 08-13-2012 at 01:01 PM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: divinemsm54
Stats: 254/173/150
WOE: JUDDD, mod. carb, HCG
Start Date: 7/15/12
Steph, I doubt if there's a single person here who didn't swoon with recognition and empathy reading your post. I know I've been there--in fact WAS there 2 days ago on my first JUDDD TOM up day. Ate waaaaaaay more sugar and carbs than I can reasonably tolerate and over my calories by hundreds. I'm a recovering perfectionist, like Kristin, who so eloquently described that particular evil cycle. It's that freakin' black & white, all-or-nothing thinking that got us here in the first place. And as another lovely JUDDD bud, just said--that was not a binge! Those of us who have had binges know the difference between over-eating, and that scary, "I can't stop even if my first-born child is being held hostage" out of control consumption. Here's what gives me a modicum of hope (despite the scale not moving for yet another week)--the combination of that scale disappointment and my TOM wacky hormones would, pre-JUDDD, have me consuming an entire bag of ghiradelli caramel-filled squares, topped off by half a pizza and a pint of ice cream for dinner. My JUDDD "binge" consisted of one 2-ounce package of chocolate turtles, and a big ass frosted lemon poundcake muffin after a reasonable dinner. It's not perfection. But it sure as hell is improvement! Just like your bread-fest...
--patty
divinemsm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttah View Post
Sterlinggirl, I'm not sure what you're asking. I don't recall Dr. Johnson talking about Boredom eating. But I do know that he NEVER says you *must* eat up to any number of calories on UD's. In fact, he says just to not overeat (which means get too full or stuff yourself), and there is a post somewhere on this forum from Leo-something, where she confirmed this personally with Dr. J. He told her the UD number on the calculator is more of a BMR guideline (but that doesn't mean any individual personally needs that number), and a limit than a requirement. Therefore, taking him at his word, eating past the level of satisfaction is eating too much on UD's.

(Combining this with what I have read in other books, especially Weight Loss Apocalypse but also Intuitive Eating, fat people tend to eat past hunger or when they're not even truly hungry to begin with.)
Oh sweet friend.. I was just being silly.. with the whole bordom caloires, .. just trying to make lite of the fact that i battle a problem of my own with calories when i am bored was all i was trying to say..
Old 08-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Such good advice already given, I just want to reiterate the 'no castigation allowed on JUDDD' thought. It happened, it's over, learn from it if you can, and move on.

Bread might be a trigger for you, or maybe just that bread. As you've already said, if you buy it again, take out what is reasonable for you and dh to eat in one meal, and freeze the rest.

I think the mini meals may have been the start too. Did you eat anything different in those meals that you normally would have on a dd? I discovered that artificial sweeteners are a HUGE trigger food for me because I started eating more of it to help me get through dd's. Only they made me out of my head with wanting sweets and carbs on the UD's. Sugar can do the same thing to me. (not to mention really cause me issues with my blood glucose control).

Also wanted to mention the possible hormone connection. Many of us experience an out of control eating monster during ovulation and/or TOM. I have not found that I am able to completely tame this beast. I plan for a bit of extra calories that include chocolate, and just accept that it's going to happen. Depending on where you are in your cycle, this may (or may not) have been a factor.

Glad you are back in the dd saddle. The scale will be back in line before you know it.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

my bad, sterlinggirl. I should have recognized your humor, but sometimes it's hard when all you see are words (no faces, tone, etc.)
Old 08-13-2012, 02:21 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I had a day like that yesterday, and now I feel I have to be extra-careful for the next few UDs. I NEVER lose control on DDs, but UDs can be dangerous. You'll be fine, though. This plan is so forgiving. You never have to feel you've gone too far to get back.
theredhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #26

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredhead View Post
I had a day like that yesterday, and now I feel I have to be extra-careful for the next few UDs. I NEVER lose control on DDs, but UDs can be dangerous. You'll be fine, though. This plan is so forgiving. You never have to feel you've gone too far to get back.
Yeah, life happens. If I truly thought I'd never go off the deep end again, I'd just throw in the towel right now. You know.. Christmas cookie season is only about 14 weeks from now..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Oh, man, Steph. Sistah. I am the queen of this one. Makes me uncomfortable reading it, but thanks, thanks for posting this.

DDs are hard, but they are nothing compared to the snap UUADs for me.

I agree about flour, chips, and all the triggers.

I read what Dawn says, about write before you eat, which works well for me except on these days, because, as far as I can see, the snap begins wayyyyy before I can start counting.

Here's my neophyte's perspective on my own rendition.

1. I'm a perfectionist, so that every chink in a day adds up (failed recipe on a DD, new method on a DD, bad phone call on a DD, etc., etc.) Even while I'm doing the day successfully, an opposing force is building. I wake up out of control on UD.

2. I am of two minds. One got me fat. The other is getting me slim and happier. With every chink from point #1, my new mind, the slim one, gets a bit rocked. A bit unsteady. And with every chink, my old, screw-this-discipline mind rears up. Some balance begins to tip. I'm okay for a bit. I'm sane for a bit. And then I snap. Food is in my mouth without any thought or capacity for thought. I don't snap out of it till I'm stuffed.

My current approaches:

1. Instant forgiveness. Otherwise I'm feeding the opposing force.

2. Understanding this is a practice, and that this particular part of practice is important or I wouldn't keep experiencing it.

3. My old mind and my new mind began a bizillion miles apart. I'm bringing them together through this JUDDDing. I can feel that. And a miracle this size won't happen without practice and some fierce love for myself.

4 I keep looking at the part of me that wants the snap. Rather than condemn that part outright, I consider that this part loves freedom, spontaneity, and wild excess. Those qualities are lovely. I want them to be a part of my life. My job is to hear this and find new, constructive ways to include these things in my life.

This is working. Slowly.

Anyway, blah, blah. I do suspect a lot of us who carry weight are floating on top of a sea of these kinds of issues. How lucky are we to be exploring them while taking excellent care of ourselves?

So happy to be learning from you.

Wow!! Great Post! WOW!!! Just WOW!!
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Steph: I hope, like me, today you are feeling "the calm after the storm" on a good DD. Wishing you peace and satisfaction today as well as a sense of accomplishment. I'm in a "live life without regrets" phase of my life. I refuse to feel any remorse about one bite or sip I took while partying with my sisters or hanging out with my DGDs and DH over this past weekend! Some extra pounds of water weight are a small price to pay for all the joy experienced. It will be gone in no time as we go merrily along.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdjade View Post
I too find that if I stuff myself on an UD, the next morning I wake up with a growling stomach. What's up with that? Shouldn't we at least get an easy DD? I can't figure that one out.
The only thing I can think of is that this must be the mechanism by which most dieters regain all their weight. Your body knows darn well when you're losing weight. It thinks you're starving. And so the moment you feast, maybe it thinks Hallelujah, the famine is over. Either that or you found a hidden food stash. Eat up before anybody else finds it!

In spite of waking up with a growling stomach, I was super strict with myself today and I'm feeling pretty good right now. That is one thing about Down Days--they really do make you feel like you're erasing whatever you did the day before.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks everybody who pointed out the potency of white bread. Growing up, we never had desserts in the house and I didn't crave them, either. However, we had pasta and bread all the time. These were mainstays of our very Italian household. (Have I mentioned I was obese by the age of five?) I'm hoping that I can still include them on Up Days on JUDDD but from now on I will be more wary.

Beverly, I'm not sure if I'm going to end up falling into your camp on the min-meals or with Pat. They did seem to help me manage a difficult event, but on the other hand, I managed today by just dividing up my calories with a high protein lunch and snack and a good portioned dinner.

Brewstate, I've done that too. The whole 'eating and it doesn't even taste good!' thing. That's one thing that I've never done on JUDDD, though. This WOE has kind of made me militant about eating nothing but the best on Up Days...so that's a start, right?

On the other hand, eating to the point of discomfort--that's not fun. I envy Pat and her easy way of handling cinnamon rolls. She's giving me something to aim for

Yamyam, welcome back!

Babsbabs, that's so encouraging to hear! I'm hanging on, never fear. Maybe some things need to be gotten out of the system, I dunno

Very good perspective, patty. Thank you!

JoyJoy, you're breaking my heart. That post really moved me. I relate to that completely. I can be a perfectionist, and you're absolutely right that things were going wrong the few Down days before. Chink, chink, chink. It was whittling away at my control. Irritating increased hunger. A screwed up recipe. Changing the routine. A morning when I thought I should have dropped another pound and instead, gained. I didn't think they were bothering me, but they were probably building up a head of steam to the point where my dieting brain just checked out. Because honestly, if I'd been able to stop and reason with myself, I'd have stopped eating long before I even started the bread. I wasn't hungry. I was actually full. What rational person keeps eating when they are so full that they are going to be sick? That's something really loony going on and I don't get it. But it's something that I'm going to work on healing.