Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   JUDDD VS Fast 5 (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/780579-juddd-vs-fast-5-a.html)

nickicaps 08-12-2012 12:29 PM

JUDDD VS Fast 5

Hello Lovelies!

So I wanted to get some advice as to which of the above plans are better for long term weight loss, anti aging, compliance, ease of use, and lifestyle adaptability. I am leaning towards Fast% because it allows you to eat every day, and because I keep reading that long periods of water fasting have tons of health benefits. With JUDDD, DD are not actual fasting, so I'm not sure if it has the same effects. That said I know there is controversy about totally fasting on DD anyways so I'd be interested in some feedback on that as well.

Has anyone done both or have an opinion about which is more sustainable/has the most health and weight loss benefits?

I trust this group more than any "guru" out there and am excited to hear what you all think. Hugs!

gotsomeold 08-12-2012 12:45 PM

I think it depends on each individual metabolism. Last time I read a Fast-5 forum they were saying do a total water fast or, if you can't do that, hold it down to 20 or 30 calories during the fasting period. Practice has convinced me I need to spread my calories over DD.

From what I have read, in terms of rate of weight loss, NSVs, results.....Fast-5 and JUDDD are very, very similar. It just depends on what your body and eating lifestyle needs.

I know Tiva has done both. Hopefully she will join in here as she can speak from experience.

I have read a few studies that have concluded keeping calories very low (under 800/day seems to be the amount I usually see referenced) produces results pretty much identical to complete fasting. In fact, more and more studies use the term 'fast' but mean eating more cals than most of us eat on DD.

piratejenny 08-12-2012 01:12 PM

For one thing, they don't have to be mutually exclusive; you can eat your JUDDD calories in the Fast 5 window.

I find Fast 5 to be better in the "compliance, ease of use, and lifestyle adaptability" departments. SO good for social events!!!
JUDDD was better for me for weight loss.
--I say "was" because I haven't had much luck with it lately. And I get such terrible insomnia on DDs that they end up not being DDs...I'm awake for many, many hours and end up eating.
However, I was getting insomnia from Fast 5, too. I was usually able to avoid eating late at night because I ate in a somewhat later window (sometimes 2-7pm, but as late as 5-10pm), and my meals were more filling than DDs.

I have been reading about cortisol & adrenal fatigue, and it is recommended to eat a high-protein breakfast. I have done quite a bit experimenting over the last year or so, and it directly affects how I sleep. So even though I enjoy both JUDDD & Fast 5, I suspect that having high cortisol & blood sugar levels, and not sleeping, interfere with my weight loss efforts.

I suppose I could try an earlier window, like 11-4 (which is what I think Tiva has mentioned doing).
It's also possible to do the high-protein breakfast on DDs. But many people, myself included, prefer saving calories for later in the day.

I guess...you could try both? :D
Get used to eating in the Fast 5 window, and then switch to JUDDD calories within those windows. If you are too hungry/irritable/fatigued on DDs, you could try spreading the calories throughout the day.

nickicaps 08-12-2012 01:24 PM

Brilliant idea PJ! I haven't read the F5 book though...is that a requirement to do this properly or should I just choose a 5 hour window and that's it?

piratejenny 08-12-2012 01:30 PM

just choose a 5-hr window...that's it! :D

sunday 08-12-2012 03:24 PM

Nicki,

Bev and I are trying to do a 7 hour window with JUDDD. I have tried Fast5 and no matter how hard, it doesn't seem to be doable for me. I know that everyone says that you get used to it, but I am too busy to fit two meals in a 5 hour period. :confused:

We posted a youtube on the "Benefits of JUDDD" thread about IF. It has a few supplements as well. I have not had time to go and purchase the supps, but will try them out when I can.

vanilla_latte 08-13-2012 11:00 AM

I did Fast 5. Loved it but didn't lose a darn thing. So, I sort of incorporate it with JUDDD (of which I'm also having a hard time losing right now) on my DD. I wait until afternoon to eat anything. But, because of the so few calories on a DD, I don't really have a window. The DD's just work better for me if I don't have anything, other than coffee with some cream, before 2-3 in the afternoon.

divinemsm54 08-13-2012 12:32 PM

I did fast five but really didn't lose a thing, despite being very rigorous about it (making my black and white thinking work FOR me, tee hee). I also found myself getting waaaaaaaay more obsessed with food and eating due to the small window, which I really, really didn't like. That being said, on my DDs, I do find it much easier to save all my calories for the evening meal, for some reason. If I start eating earlier, it awakens the appetite beast. So I'm inadvertently doing fast five on my DDs...
good luck whatever you end up doing!
--patty

TryingJudd 08-13-2012 03:36 PM

I use fast five as a kind of fail safe when dinners out with friends or special occasions fall on a DD. I fast all day and then eat all my calories at dinner. If I can I stay under 500 cals but if I can't then at least its within a limited window. (also - no bread, pasta, wine, alcohol or desert are my rules for these occasions).

gotsomeold 08-14-2012 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TryingJudd (Post 15870502)
I use fast five as a kind of fail safe when dinners out with friends or special occasions fall on a DD. I fast all day and then eat all my calories at dinner. If I can I stay under 500 cals but if I can't then at least its within a limited window. (also - no bread, pasta, wine, alcohol or desert are my rules for these occasions).

I have done that. And, like Patty, I tend to eat most of my calories late in the day (DD or UD). Hmmm, at one time I found I had to eat UD lunch or my weight loss stalled. My body keeping changing as I lose....I wonder if that is still true?

b_lou_who 08-16-2012 02:46 PM

as a super slow loser I can say I have success doing juddd, I really do the best if I actually fast a day or two a week, but good low down days work.
I can follow eat stop eat patterns with that and lose a little by only having two fast days a week, the rest normal up days.
fast five is doable for me to maintain, but not lose. probably a personal physiology thing so you may have to try it for yourself to discover what is optimal for your body as an eating schedule.
eat well!