Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: faithgirl
Fast weight loss on JUDDD?

Is fast weight loss possible on JUDDD? I am finally at a place where my health demands quicker weight loss. Is anyone losing quickly on JUDDD? Or somewhat quickly?

I have a LOT of weight to lose. I am over 300 pounds. On WW it took 9 months for me to lose 27 pounds, so that's out. I can't stick to LC, and I really need something I can stick with long-term, obviously. I bought some Wonderslim, but that seems daunting-eating 1000-1200 cals a day, most of which is pre-packaged food.

I went to the JUDDD website and for 20% weight loss, calories were about 500/2600...I don't see how I can go that low or that high...Sure high calories got me in this mess to begin with, but my metabolism has slowed down an awful lot and it doesn't take anywhere near as much as it use to, to maintain this weight. And besides that, I'd like to clean up my eating, and that usually means automatically lower calories. (Gee, you'd think I'd have caught on to THAT a long time ago..)

Anyway, I'm just looking for some confirmation that you can indeed lose weight at least somewhat quickly with JUDDD?

faithgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
JUDDD is not known as a *fast* weight loss plan... but it certainly can be! (I don't know what you consider fast to be.. a rate of 2 pounds a week or slightly more is considered by most to be pretty good, although some of us who start JUDDD at the higher weights most certainly do lose more weight per week than that!) And I can certainly tell you one thing.. JUDDD works for almost all who do it, and even slower losers usually beat 27 pounds in 9 months that you said you got from weight watchers!

One of the biggest things has to do with the dieter, and how able they are to lose weight on any plan. Some folks are just more inclined to be slower losers, while others find weight loss a whole lot easier.

Another thing that applies is.. how well you actually do JUDDD. It's awfully simple, but as with all plans, some folks work it more exactingly than others. And in fact, one of the things that a lot of us like about JUDDD is how forgiving it is about those times when we aren't quite as exacting as we should be..

As to the calorie numbers you got from the JUDDD Calorie Calculator, here are some thoughts about that: If starting out holding to 500 calories on your Down Days is about impossible for you to manage, then start a bit higher. I'm about ready to start my third year of JUDDD, and when I first started, well, I failed those low DD calories more often than I was able to hold to them, but that success just comes more and more easily as your brain reprograms itself to this Up/Down cycle of feeding, so it stops signaling for food so much on DDs.

And as to your Up Day calorie number, we usually advise folks to eat most of their UD calories, but there is a place where that doesn't really make much sense, and it's for those of us who are *larger* when we get started on JUDDD. That Calorie Calculator gives us numbers based on maintaining our current weight, but at some point.. we really don't need to eat to maintain an excessive amount of body fat. So we don't. I don't know what calories you usually eat at right now, but I'd think if you wanted to cut a few hundred off of your UD calorie number, that won't impact your rate of weight loss.

Just don't cut it too low though, because when you aren't eating a lot of nutrients on your DDs, your body will need to be fed really well on UDs to make up for it. You can't do that by cutting your Up Days *too* low.

I'd encourage you to come join us and give it a single month. I don't know whether you are currently following any weight loss diet plan, eating low carb or not, etc. but in four weeks on JUDDD, it will give your body time to adjust to this plan and really start melting the excess weight away! I certainly have no reason to believe that if you join us here you won't be anything but SUCCESSFUL.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LindaD
Stats: First time 300/190/160 10/24/2000
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Start JUDDD 6/25/12 254.5/220.5/200
Pat!
LindaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4

Here are a couple threads that might be helpful:

How much weight have *you* lost doing JUDD....

How long did it take you?

And here's one that I find very inspirational, and interesting regarding calories:
IT’S ALL TRUE!!!! (Long)

Now, I personally haven't lost weight quickly on JUDDD, but in the past week or so I have come to the conclusion that I need to work on my insomnia and cortisol/melatonin problems, and change my type of exercise (HIIT instead of prolonged, moderate cardio).
JUDDD can be very healing but for some of us who have hormonal or metabolic conditions (I have diabetes), we may need multiple approaches: low carb or paleo, eliminate allergens, different exercise, better sleep habits, supplements, medications...

I don't mean to be discouraging; for some people, it DOES work very quickly!
There are many women here who have lost 50 or 70 or more pounds in the time I've lost 5 over & over again!!!
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

PS: For example, I have found that I *have* to eat a high protein breakfast on both UDs & DDs, even though I prefer to skip it & save my calories for dinner.

Skipped breakfast=insomnia, and insomnia=being hungry and angry at 4am, 8 or more hours after dinner!
Old 08-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
I lost ten pounds on JUDDD in the first five weeks, and that included a week off from the diet completely when I was on vacation. That averages out to 2lbs a week which isn't breaking any land speed records, but it was faster for me than Weight Watchers during which I starved every day.

Now I starve every other day.

As a bigger person, I would recommend using the numbers exactly for a few weeks and see what happens. Because ultimately, this is about a calorie deficit. If your numbers are 500/2600 that averages out to 1,550 calories a day. That's about as low as a doctor would probably recommend you go anyway, especially if you don't want to re-set your metabolism so that it operates on less. Some day you do want to be in maintenance, after all, right?

That's my story, anyway, and I'm sticking to it.

In my 'screw the diet' days of yore, I could easily get in 2600 calories. Maybe double that or more at Fogo de Chao :P On JUDDD my appetite is way more under control and it's more difficult to reach the higher calorie numbers, but I allow myself to reach mine if I want to. For example, staying with my in-laws it wasn't hard to rack up a high total when it was pancakes and sausages for breakfast, grape juice and cucumber sandwiches for lunch, and a huge back yard BBQ for dinner. Two cheeseburgers will get you most of the way there, for sure. Yesterday, however, I ate a modest breakfast, had a filling snack, got so busy I missed lunch, then had such a (relatively) low calorie dinner that I had to make up the difference with a hot fudge sundae topped with lots of healthy nuts. Oh the horror! And I still didn't meet my up day number.

Of course, when you don't hit your up day number, you sometimes pay for it the next day. So, in summary, while I would never advise you to stuff yourself on any day of the diet, there shouldn't be any reason you can't get in spitting distance of your top number at least for a few weeks until you see how this is going to work for you.

Last edited by stephdray; 08-11-2012 at 07:35 PM..
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks ladies...I did JUDDD for a couple weeks last October-but can't remember how well I did or what my numbers were...I actually think I kept them higher, maybe at the 35% range by the JUDDD calculator? Not really sure why I quit.

I am hoping to lose fast, but to be honest, it has been so long since I have consistently lost weight, even 2 pounds a week would make me happy. I just know I need to do something, and do it right now.

Stephdray, I know, I was starving everyday on WW! It was crazy, and I still hardly lost any weight. I'm know it was becuase I was always choosing really, really lowfat to get more food for my points, and most of that was just crappy, refined carb stuff. I also know I need more fat, because when I did LC, I never had gall bladder issues, but when I do lowfat, I immediately have issues with it. The calories on UD are certainly high enough to take care of that problem.

Jenny, I am going to take a look at the links that you provided-thanks!

Pat/Steph I will take your advice, and work on hitting the clorie numbers, and as long as I get somewhere close to them, I am going to call it successful, and experiment and see what works for me.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:14 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I am a BUDDD who believes there is more going on than just a calorie deficit. I think we really do start something physical and natural on DDs when we activate the Rescue Gene by eating below our body's RMR. And, that natural something has to be stopped by eating above RMR on UD, or it will move on to something else that slows weight loss and drops energy. I say this because, these days I judge how well I am doing more by my level of arthritis pain: if it is gone I am activating and stopping the magic appropriately.

Dr J says JUDDD is not fast weight loss. But for many of us, it is sustainable and consistant. I have lost at an average rate of two pounds/week. And I am in the final four pounds. The only time my weight loss stalled was when my UDs fell too low (below RMR) for *sigh* almost two months...I failed to notice (I can be really dense sometimes).

I encourage you to eat to, or very near, that 2600 at first. Then, after you are seeing consistent weight loss you can try dropping UD calories gradually. Use an online calculator to estimate your RMR. It is likely your weight loss will be most consistent if you stay above that on UDs.

And, I also encourage you to read the DD menus thread. It is amazing how much you can eat on DD without exceeding 500 calories...if you plan ahead.

Welcome to an amazing new world!
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:06 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Kathleen, heaps of excellent guidance already. Just want to say welcome. This is a great woe and a great group of smart, funny, supportive people.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:02 AM   #10

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I have lost nearly 80 pounds in 9.5 months. Of that, today marks 8 months on JUDDD and I've lost just under 70 pounds. When you average it, it's not super fast, but it's definitely faster than I was losing on anything else. I'm one of the super diligent, stick to your numbers type of JUDDDers. I only decreased my calories when I stopped losing as well, and I also took about a month and a half of semi-maintenance to allow my body to adjust to what I'd already lost. My first real goal was to be in Onederland by my birthday in September. I got there last week. IMO, this is the best WOE and the most sustainable, if not the fastest. Good luck, and !

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Love all of the responses!

CONSISTENT
IS THE WORD FOR ME! NOT fast but consistent.

Welcome to a simply amazing plan!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
I am a BUDDD who believes there is more going on than just a calorie deficit. I think we really do start something physical and natural on DDs when we activate the Rescue Gene by eating below our body's RMR. And, that natural something has to be stopped by eating above RMR on UD, or it will move on to something else that slows weight loss and drops energy. I say this because, these days I judge how well I am doing more by my level of arthritis pain: if it is gone I am activating and stopping the magic appropriately.

Dr J says JUDDD is not fast weight loss. But for many of us, it is sustainable and consistant. I have lost at an average rate of two pounds/week. And I am in the final four pounds. The only time my weight loss stalled was when my UDs fell too low (below RMR) for *sigh* almost two months...I failed to notice (I can be really dense sometimes).

I encourage you to eat to, or very near, that 2600 at first. Then, after you are seeing consistent weight loss you can try dropping UD calories gradually. Use an online calculator to estimate your RMR. It is likely your weight loss will be most consistent if you stay above that on UDs.

And, I also encourage you to read the DD menus thread. It is amazing how much you can eat on DD without exceeding 500 calories...if you plan ahead.

Welcome to an amazing new world!
What is BUDD? What is RMR? I think I know, but not really sure...
Old 08-12-2012, 08:50 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I have lost nearly 80 pounds in 9.5 months. Of that, today marks 8 months on JUDDD and I've lost just under 70 pounds. When you average it, it's not super fast, but it's definitely faster than I was losing on anything else. I'm one of the super diligent, stick to your numbers type of JUDDDers. I only decreased my calories when I stopped losing as well, and I also took about a month and a half of semi-maintenance to allow my body to adjust to what I'd already lost. My first real goal was to be in Onederland by my birthday in September. I got there last week. IMO, this is the best WOE and the most sustainable, if not the fastest. Good luck, and !
WOW! After my WW fiasco (and there have been many, many tries with WW), I do consider your results fast, especially when you subtract the month and a half.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

I read the links that Jenny posted last night, and I have to say, that I think JUDDD really is kind of fast. When you look at the fact that so many that have tried it are already fairly close to goal, are hypothyroid, or older and past menapause-and they are STILL getting to their goal in a really reasonable amount of time-I consider that pretty darn wonderful.

I've read tons of the posts about Atkins or other lowcarb plans, and the stalls can go on and on forever and then the posters move on to meat and egg fasts or fat fasts or some other unappealing 'trick' to try and get the weight moving again. (not meaning to criticize LC, that's what got us all here to begin with after all, but I couldn't stick with it even while I WAS losing). And on WW they expect you to get excited about losing 2 pounds a month. Seriously? At my weight? That isn't going to happen.

Tomorrow is going to be my first DD. I'll just enjoy my UD while I have them-that calorie level won't last forever
Old 08-12-2012, 09:33 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

BUDDDs=our nickname for each other, like "buddies".
RMR=resting metabolic rate
Old 08-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
BUDDDs=our nickname for each other, like "buddies".
RMR=resting metabolic rate
Ah! I thought she meant she was doing something different-I have read about MUDDD so I wasn't sure. Thanks!
Old 08-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
One thing that you should remember when referring to weight loss consistency on JUDDD is that your DD is actually about 36 hr (give or take).
So your DD starts at the end of UD, all day the next and through the night until breakfast of the UD...so this includes your sleep time.

Following this will get the SIRT1 going and keep it intact.
Starting w the 500 cal DD will get the gene onboard more quickly but peop who can't do 500 will do better by adding a little more than to just give up and quit.
Then when you have become accustomed to that extra 100 or so, it will be easier to go lower AND hopefully by then the appetite suppression of the gene will have kicked in.

JUDDD is an awesome plan.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

PS--I'm not very familiar with the Wonderslim products, but I imagine you could use them on DDs so they don't go to waste.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/147/145
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithgirl View Post
I read the links that Jenny posted last night, and I have to say, that I think JUDDD really is kind of fast. When you look at the fact that so many that have tried it are already fairly close to goal, are hypothyroid, or older and past menapause-and they are STILL getting to their goal in a really reasonable amount of time-I consider that pretty darn wonderful.

I've read tons of the posts about Atkins or other lowcarb plans, and the stalls can go on and on forever and then the posters move on to meat and egg fasts or fat fasts or some other unappealing 'trick' to try and get the weight moving again. (not meaning to criticize LC, that's what got us all here to begin with after all, but I couldn't stick with it even while I WAS losing). And on WW they expect you to get excited about losing 2 pounds a month. Seriously? At my weight? That isn't going to happen.

Tomorrow is going to be my first DD. I'll just enjoy my UD while I have them-that calorie level won't last forever
I'm one of those people you've described. Hypothyroid, post-menopausal, stalled long-time Atkineer who did hCG to force my body to drop the pounds. I came to JUDDD with just a few pounds to lose. Not only did I lose them, I exceeded my goal and have maintained easily for about eight months. I adore JUDDD and will never do anything else again!

Welcome, and hang on for a really cool ride. It won't always be easy, but it's SOOOO worth it. And besides, on what other diet can you tell yourself, "it's okay, I can eat that tomorrow"? And oh, I'm a Lifetime Member of Weight Watchers who achieved goal, but only stayed there for about six seconds! I was starving!
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one

Last edited by theredhead; 08-12-2012 at 11:37 AM..
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:21 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sdjade
Start Date: LC 10-2011, JUDDD 04-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithgirl View Post
Yay! Welcome to JUDDD. My first few DD were tough, but I got through them and they are much easier now. I'm sure you will do great!
sdjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
As Jem says, even after eight months of JUDDDing, I always plan for about 700 calories every DD. When I began, I sometimes needed them. These days, I eat to hunger within my plan and rarely hit 500...I just like knowing what I will do if my tummy suddenly screams at me.

Many of us find JUDDD a very calm and happy way to lose weight. I like that part a lot.

Have a great first DD!
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Welcome to JUDDD! The first dd's can be rough, but they DO get better and fairly quickly. It's OK to allow yourself the extra cals if you need them. Often, just knowing you have them in reserve is enough to tame the hunger and get through. Sometimes it's not and you need to eat them. If you look at the calculator, there are several % levels that are still considered WLM (weight loss mode). It was helpful to me to know the upper limit of calories I could have and still be able to call it a dd. Much less self-bashing and feelings of "blowing it" that way.

Now, eventually, you will need to get those calorie levels down to make the weight loss happen more quickly, but the first week or 2 is such a learning experience, that you do what you need to do to get to the next day.

Read the DD menu and daily dd "what are you eating" threads to get ideas on what people are eating. Because you can really eat a lot of food for 500 cals if you get creative. You will soon learn what keeps you full and happy the best, and whether it is better to eat a little throughout the day, or save up for a bigger meal later.

Looking forward to celebrating your successes and holding your hand when it gets a little rocky.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #23

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post
..........Read the DD menu and daily dd "what are you eating" threads to get ideas on what people are eating. Because you can really eat a lot of food for 500 cals if you get creative. You will soon learn what keeps you full and happy the best, and whether it is better to eat a little throughout the day, or save up for a bigger meal later..........
I completely agree with this.. so strongly!

Almost everyone love the idea of being able to eat at full maintenance level every other day on our Up Days. And even getting to have those foods be anything they want to eat, if they so choose! Woo Hoo!

But hardly anyone comes to JUDDD because they are looking forward to doing a semi-fast of just a few hundred calories on the *other* days.

But if you find out how to manage your Down Days early on, they can be not only EASY to do, but enjoyable as well. Hard to believe, but it's true. I'm doing a DD today and can't believe how MUCH I've eaten and will need to continue to eat before the evening is over.

Read what everyone else is eating. Read what foods they are choosing. Read about how they time their eating. You'll find what works best for you, and then you'll find it's a real easy way to live, and as an aside.. the fat melts off.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
As Jem says, even after eight months of JUDDDing, I always plan for about 700 calories every DD. When I began, I sometimes needed them. These days, I eat to hunger within my plan and rarely hit 500...I just like knowing what I will do if my tummy suddenly screams at me.

Many of us find JUDDD a very calm and happy way to lose weight. I like that part a lot.

Have a great first DD!
I do the same. I plan for 700, and am usually 500-600. But there are days when I really need that extra 100 calories leeway.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

I love this board becuase you all are so helpful.

I think I am going to do 4 of the Wonderslim products (shakes/puddings/soup) during the day and hopefully they will keep my blood sugar stable like people say they do and just maybe, not be too hungry. I'll take some baby carrots along, just in case. Then in the evening I will eat a big shredded cabbage stirfry. I might even have enough calories left for some SF jello with a smear of FF cool whip.