Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Eating Every Single Hour Experiment (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/780462-eating-every-single-hour-experiment.html)

SoHappy 08-10-2012 03:17 PM

Eating Every Single Hour Experiment

Today is a JUDDD Down Day for me, and I decided to experiment with how I take in my few calories for this period. I decided to eat about 35 calories every hour, on the hour, from 7:00 am through 10:00 pm. This is 16 little mini-meals.. a few were beverage, one was crispy, all were surprisingly filling, since they were coming almost on the heels of the previous little meal.

I looked at this in a similar way to what is advocated for pain control.. that is, keep ahead of it. So I decided to see if this way of taking in a few calories very regularly would keep ahead of any hunger, and even much appetite. And that was a success. I haven't felt much appetite all day long. (It's after 5:00 in the afternoon here right now.)

Certainly easy to do, since I can figure up a recipe that is made up of 140 calories, and divide it into 4 35-calorie servings. It's not like I had to be cooking much. Really no more than I ever cook for myself on Down Days, it's just that I divvied all of it up into these little feedings each hour.

I will say, I found this not only easy, but actually pretty pleasant. It was sort of a way to graze throughout the entire day.. sort of snacking my way through my waking hours from shortly after rising in the morning until a bit before bedtime. (I'm usually awake at 6:30 am and go to bed a little before 11:00 pm.)

I didn't find any particular meal or food kept me full any longer than any other. They all just worked together, one after the other, to keep much of any appetite from ever striking in the first place. Easy Peasy and Very Pleasant. I will most definitely be doing this again next Down Day!!! I liked it a lot. Here's what I ate and still have coming for my mini-meals on this DD:

7:00-- 8 oz coffee, 1 T half & half and 1 T fat-free creamer

8:00-- 2 egg whites, poached, salt & pepper

9:00-- 8 oz coffee, 1 T half & half and 1 T fat-free creamer

10:00 Italian- 2 T low-cal tomato sauce, sprinkle of Italian seasonings & garlic salt, 1/3 portion shirataki noodles w/seaweed, 2 oz zucchini, chopped, 1.35 oz fresh spinach, shredded

11:00- 8 oz coffee, 1 T half & half and 1 T fat-free creamer

NOON salad- 1 oz boneless/skinless chicken breast, finely sliced, .8 oz shredded lettuce, 2 tsp Maple Grove sugar-free Raspberry Vinaigrette

1:00-- pumpkin shake- 1/2 C unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 2 T canned pumpkin puree, 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1 T Walden Farms 0-calorie Pancake Syrup

2:00-- 2 egg whites, poached, salt & pepper

3:00-- 5" Magic Pop *crispy*, spread with 3/4 wedge of Aldi lite 25-cal cheese wedge

4:00-- pumpkin shake- 1/2 C unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 2 T canned pumpkin puree, 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1 T Walden Farms 0-calorie Pancake Syrup

5:00-- Italian dish- 2 T low-cal tomato sauce, sprinkle of Italian seasonings & garlic salt, 1/3 portion shirataki noodles w/seaweed, 2 oz zucchini, chopped, 1.35 oz fresh spinach, shredded

6:00-- salad- 1 oz boneless/skinless chicken breast, finely sliced, 8 oz shredded lettuce, 2 tsp Maple Grove sugar-free Raspberry Vinaigrette

7:00-- Italian dish- 2 T low-cal tomato sauce, sprinkle of Italian seasonings & garlic salt, 1/3 portion shirataki noodles w/seaweed, 2 oz zucchini, chopped, 1.35 oz fresh spinach, shredded

8:00-- salad- 1 oz boneless/skinless chicken breast, finely sliced, 8 oz shredded lettuce, 2 tsp Maple Grove sugar-free Raspberry Vinaigrette

9:00-- pumpkin shake- 1/2 C unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 2 T canned pumpkin puree, 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1 T Walden Farms 0-calorie Pancake Syrup

10:00 a standard marshmallow, snipped into many sticky pieces, rolled around in 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder

* * * * * According to ******, calories are 536. Protein is 52 grams. Carbs are 44 net, which is very low for me. LOL

Nelle Belle 08-10-2012 03:31 PM

Pat, that actually sounds like a good idea.

The pumpkin shake, is it total 1/2 cup almond milk, etc divided into 3 mini meals?

SoHappy 08-10-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nelle Belle (Post 15864253)
Pat, that actually sounds like a good idea.

The pumpkin shake, is it total 1/2 cup almond milk, etc divided into 3 mini meals?

No.. it's 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1/2 cup plain pumpkin puree, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice, and 3 Tbsp Walden Farms 0-Calorie Pancake Syrup. (..or you could use a s/f DaVinci's syrup, but the WF pancake syrup is maple-y and really good. LOL)

Then use your mixer or blender (or whatever you mix with) to whip this all up together and pour it into 4 glasses. I had just over 3/4 cup of shake for each of four glasses... so four meals out of this particular recipe. You can blend each portion with a couple of ice cubes too, which will expand the size of the shake and make it into a sort of icy cold *ice creamy* type of shake, which I sometimes do, but I didn't bother with that today.

So the whole batch is 133 calories according to ******, so just fractionally over 33 calories per glass at this portion.

Whitlin' 08-10-2012 03:58 PM

Pat, this is so interesting. Thank you for explaining so well. Your pain control concept seems very sound.

I ate in an every-three-hour sequence 4 times today, which is not unusual for me. (this is posted in eating thread) Oatmeal with prunes and coconut oil divided between breakfast and lunch (134 each sitting). 1/2 a 6-in Subway Tuna sandwich brought home in an insulated bag and divided between snack and supper (122 each sitting).

So 513 calories eaten at about 9, 12, 3, 6. And I feel like I am good for the day.

I can't say, though, that I wasn't somewhat hungry for each successive meal at 3-hour intervals. So your experience is truly food for thought.

SoHappy 08-10-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitlin' (Post 15864333)
Pat, this is so interesting. Thank you for explaining so well. Your pain control concept seems very sound.

I ate in an every-three-hour sequence 4 times today, which is not unusual for me. (this is posted in eating thread) Oatmeal with prunes and coconut oil divided between breakfast and lunch (134 each sitting). 1/2 a 6-in Subway Tuna sandwich brought home in an insulated bag and divided between snack and supper (122 each sitting).

So 513 calories eaten at about 9, 12, 3, 6. And I feel like I am good for the day.

I can't say, though, that I wasn't somewhat hungry for each successive meal at 3-hour intervals. So your experience is truly food for thought.

It was pretty interesting from the standpoint that (at least so far) I haven't felt any hunger or even much appetite today. I just divided my food down into smaller portions than you did your oatmeal w/prunes & CO and your tuna Sub, and the bits more often. :laugh:

I will absolutely be doing this again! I have to say it has been the easiest DD I've ever had in regards to appetite control.

I just need to figure up more *recipes* that come out to be about 140 calories worth, so that it will be easy to divide it into my 35-cal meals. Or I guess I could make 105 cal batches and divide by three. :laugh:

jem51 08-10-2012 05:00 PM

It's funny how w all the testing I did early on, that it never crossed my mind. I might just try something similar.

Thanks.

SoHappy 08-10-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jem51 (Post 15864428)
It's funny how w all the testing I did early on, that it never crossed my mind. I might just try something similar.

Thanks.

I just couldn't eat my 7:00 *feeding*. I'm just too danged FULL. No appetite at all. I'll see if I'm ready for my 8:00 mini-meal in another hour. I certainly didn't expect this. :confused: :laugh:

I'm going to do my next DD this way too and see how that day goes as well. This is absolutely easy and no hunger pangs at all!!!

I'm in the process of writing up my menus/recipes this evening, and then I can just put together something quickly, divvy it up into 35-cal portions, and I'll be set for the entire DD. Quick and easy.

Nelle Belle 08-10-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHappy (Post 15864441)
I just couldn't eat my 7:00 *feeding*. I'm just too danged FULL. No appetite at all. I'll see if I'm ready for my 8:00 mini-meal in another hour. I certainly didn't expect this. :confused: :laugh:

I'm going to do my next DD this way too and see how that day goes as well. This is absolutely easy and no hunger pangs at all!!!

I'm in the process of writing up my menus/recipes this evening, and then I can just put together something quickly, divvy it up into 35-cal portions, and I'll be set for the entire DD. Quick and easy

And post them here!

SoHappy 08-10-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nelle Belle (Post 15864445)
And post them here!

You may not be very interested in my recipes as the emphasis is on low calories and not much on all those little extras that make a dish yummy! It's very, very, very basic. Well, I guess it has to be pretty basic in order to keep the calories so low that I can stretch the food out over 16 little meals. So a tiny little salad with some chicken breast is simply sliced breast, shredded lettuce, and Maple Grove raspberry vinaigrette dressing. With a sprinkle of salt. Just not a fancy salad at all. But a way to get in a little protein and a few mouthfuls of chewing. :laugh:

I remember you from back when you were Dwight! That always made me laugh! :laugh:

mttemple4 08-10-2012 08:14 PM

I just love this, Pat! Thank you so much for sharing.

I'm very inspired to try an ounce of chicken and hour or a bacon strip per hour for a down day and see how it goes. :)

sunday 08-10-2012 08:19 PM

Pat, What a great way to enjoy the day! Thanks for being the scientist for the JUDDD budds! :high5:

PracticingMind 08-10-2012 08:20 PM

How fun! I'm only in my second week of juddd, but I can see hire this would be helpful because some dds seem more ”uphill” than others. This could be an ace in the hole for those days.

stephdray 08-10-2012 08:40 PM

Pat, this would seem to support the frequent meals theory of satiety. I wonder if I could do the whole day on turkey bacon? I may try this tomorrow.

Also, with three cups of coffee a day that might lower appetite too :P

SoHappy 08-11-2012 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mttemple4 (Post 15864735)
I just love this, Pat! Thank you so much for sharing.

I'm very inspired to try an ounce of chicken and hour or a bacon strip per hour for a down day and see how it goes. :)

You could sure do that. I just put the chicken breast in ****** at 16 little 1-ounce servings and it comes out to just under 500 calories, so it would fit into the base DD calorie limit. I used the meat that was boneless & skinless before cooking, so wasn't impacted by the fat in the skin, etc.

But, it came to 112 grams of pure protein, which is wa-a-a-y too much for me, as I think my body would convert over half of that into glucose fuel anyway, and.. there was absolutely no other nutritive value to it other than the protein, so the entire day was a nutritional wasteland outside of the protein. Just wanted to mention that to you in case you don't take a whole range of nutritional supplements to make up for what isn't in your diet.

I sure wouldn't worry about it occasionally, but I try to keep most of my days, whether Up or Down, as nutrient dense as I can pack them. Plus, I'm mostly in maintenance these days, so like more variety through the days.

If you do try just chicken breast, or bacon strips, post your results. JUDDD is just hard enough on the Down Days for the newbies that anything that helps them stick long enough to get the appetite suppression help on DDs is really a boon! Good luck!

Alcestis 08-11-2012 05:46 AM

Pat, what a fascinating idea. I'm doing a DD today and I have a very flexible day, so I'm going to try this just for fun :) I also think a great benefit to this is that it encourages even more attention to what, and how many calories, we're eating.

Thanks!

SoHappy 08-11-2012 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alcestis (Post 15865073)
Pat, what a fascinating idea. I'm doing a DD today and I have a very flexible day, so I'm going to try this just for fun :) I also think a great benefit to this is that it encourages even more attention to what, and how many calories, we're eating.

Thanks!

You know, that's a good point. Because there are so many tiny mini-meals, once I get into this I can see being able to not only manage appetite quite easily through an entire day and evening, but also being able to manage getting in foods across a wide nutritional spectrum. For so much of our nutrition it doesn't take a LOT of a certain food, but so often we get NONE of it at all.

I think too often we focus on the weight loss benefits and skip right to the length-of-life benefits from IF plans, and JUDDD, and gloss over the importance of strong nutrition in these plans to help bring about all that healing and health too. :laugh:

brewstate 08-11-2012 06:51 AM

How absolutely awesome. I may sit down and try to come up with some 35 calories "meals" too and we could build a database of options, or if every hour is not available you could make 70 calorie meals every 2 hours, etc. Its very flexible. I know some people can fast till dinner and it works for them but I absolutely can't (I can go till about 2 and then I start threatening to eat my children :rofl:) and this might abate my hunger issues nicely.

stephdray 08-11-2012 07:22 AM

I have a weird down day today in that I'm going to be doing a lot of driving and going to a baby shower at which there will be absolutely no foods I can eat on a DD anyway, so I thought I would go ahead and give this a try today and see if I duplicate Pat's results in terms of appetite suppression.

My first mini-meal was half of a hard boiled egg.

I'm just about due for coffee and a piece of bacon :P

mykidsteacher 08-11-2012 07:48 AM

I was wondering about 70 cals every 2 hours too. Eating every hour would seem to really break up the day and make it harder to get anything else done.

I could split my morning shake in 2 and have it at 8am and 10 am. Split my lunch salad and have 1/2 at noon and 1/2 at 2pm. Have a snack at 4pm, 1/2 my supper at 6pm and the rest at 8pm.

Or, simply eat supper at 6pm and be done, because even on dd, I'm usually full with supper and don't need anything later anyway.

Very good food for thought. I'm on a dd, but already drank all my shake, so can't implement fully today, but I might try it for the rest of the day.

And I would think it would give incredibly stable blood sugar readings as long as each mini feeding wasn't all carb based (which none of yours were Pat).

stephdray 08-11-2012 08:03 AM

So far I'm a little nervous about the progress of this experiment because I can usually hold off eating or getting hungry until at least noon, but it's only 11am and I seem to be getting a little hungrier with each non-carby mini-meal. Uh oh!

I'll keep going, though. I'm nothing if not committed to science :P

AmyInTX 08-11-2012 08:04 AM

Thanks for sharing!!! I'm def gonna try this soon :)

Louloo 08-11-2012 08:52 AM

Thanks Pat.

I think this will help with the down days, but maybe for me every two hours.

brewstate 08-11-2012 09:13 AM

Steph I see your point and I have that issue too as I really am not a breakfast person. What I propose is why eat in the morning when you are not hungry? So if you don't get hungry till noon or whenever you start to feel that first little twang, not full on hunger, but a slight desire to eat, start your first meal then head forth with the equal divided meals until A) you run out of calories for the day or B) you are no longer hungry for the day.

SoHappy 08-11-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephdray (Post 15865321)
So far I'm a little nervous about the progress of this experiment because I can usually hold off eating or getting hungry until at least noon, but it's only 11am and I seem to be getting a little hungrier with each non-carby mini-meal. Uh oh!

I'll keep going, though. I'm nothing if not committed to science :P

LOL, Steph!

I'm not usually hungry for breakfast either, and have usually just had a couple of mugs of coffee with half & half until my tummy tells me to start thinking about something solid to eat, usually around 11:00 or so. Well, of course all of that falls by the wayside if somebody suggests going up to the French place for pastries for breakfast, or if somebody wants to go out for pretty much any breakfast not cooked by me in my kitchen.. I mean, I can rev up my appetite earlier if something fun is in the offing. :laugh:

So of my first three meals, two of them were still my coffee. :laugh: And of my first five meals, three of them were the coffee.. so still mostly.. coffee. LOL But it worked for me. It didn't seem to send any appetite into overdrive, and in fact, normal DD appetite never seemed to do more than hint of its approach.

mttemple4 08-11-2012 11:06 AM

Thanks, Pat! I agree that I would likely mix it up. :) I do my best to get a full complement of everything I need on up days too. I'm thinking the bacon might be a fun experience--I believe the right ratios too for someone trying more fat than protein. But I think I like the idea of lots of mini chicken breast + lettuce salads. LOL!

SoHappy 08-11-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mttemple4 (Post 15865770)
Thanks, Pat! I agree that I would likely mix it up. :) I do my best to get a full complement of everything I need on up days too. I'm thinking the bacon might be a fun experience--I believe the right ratios too for someone trying more fat than protein. But I think I like the idea of lots of mini chicken breast + lettuce salads. LOL!

Hi, Joyce! Certainly I get a much fuller day nutritionally on the Up Days, but I still get in a surprising amount of goodness on my usual DDs too.

I often eat at higher carb levels than many do, so will report that ****** rated my DD foods yesterday at 22% Fat.. 38% Protein.. and 41% Carbohydrate. I think I often eat more plant matter than some do, and on UDs.. often enough grains and sugars that many avoid.

Post here how your bacon experiment goes! :laugh: UD here.. just finished two big BLT sandwiches, 'cause it's summertime, and those are a part of it for me. ;) :laugh:

mttemple4 08-11-2012 11:25 AM

Oh, I'm getting plenty of carbs on up days lately too. :laugh: And many more veggies on down days than my usual--all good things!

Will definitely post when I try it. I have one more week of regular rotations before my vacation to Japan, where I will also be eating plenty of carbs and grains on my UUADs. :rofl::rofl:

Thank you again for sharing this with us!

mttemple4 08-11-2012 11:26 AM

And I must add . . . BLTs!!! :yummy:

SoHappy 08-11-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mttemple4 (Post 15865807)
Oh, I'm getting plenty of carbs on up days lately too. :laugh: And many more veggies on down days than my usual--all good things!

Will definitely post when I try it. I have one more week of regular rotations before my vacation to Japan, where I will also be eating plenty of carbs and grains on my UUADs. :rofl::rofl:

Thank you again for sharing this with us!

I really envy you that trip! I've always wished I could spend time in Japan. I know you'll have a wonderful time! Take pics to share, and I can hardly wait to hear about the foods!

mttemple4 08-11-2012 11:34 AM

Thank you, Pat! We are just beside ourselves with excitement at this point. I will definitely share some photos!

For some Tokyo food eye candy, check out this blog: Tokyo Eats | Just a Taste . So pretty to browse!