Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 05:07 AM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Shari, it worked great for me, too. I'm really excited about doing it again tomorrow and it will be much easier as everything is already prepared. Thanks, Pat, for the great idea.

Last edited by cici52; 10-13-2012 at 05:09 AM..
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shari4
Stats: 200/140.4/140 (190/164/140)65yrs
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Started JUDDD: 9/24/12 @181(again 2/1/14 @ 190)
cici, I'm so excited for you! I'm at the end of my second DD doing hourly eating. It hasn't gone as planned because I'm with my son at the hospital while he has a sleep study done. But, today was easier than the last DD because I prepared things to eat in advance. So all I had to do was grab & eat. I brought the last few things with me to the hospital; but, I'm not sure I'll eat them. I need to go to bed so he will sleep better. The lights are out & I'm typing by the light of my laptop!

I can't wait to hear how you second DD goes. Keep me posted?

Shari

I’ve always wanted to be normal, but lately I’ve come to suspect that this is it.
Shari4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:36 AM   #63
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: C'Marie
Stats: 270/down 110-ish/ goal 147
WOE: hCG Rx shots/JUDDD maintain
Start Date: 1/4/2010 Now R9 P2
Wow, you guys - that's a lot of food prep. If I did it, mine would go something like:

Coffee
bacon

coffee
bacon

coffee
bacon

etc etc etc

well, I better eat some celery, so then:
celery
bacon

celery
bacon

I like DD because I don't have to fix anything in the kitchen My last really successful DD hungry-wise was 5 boiled eggs, nothing else. Boring! but I didn't get hungry at all, all day. I know I can't eat like that all the time.

Thanks for sharing!
C'Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:15 AM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

C'Marie, I like your idea, on paper, as it would be so much simpler. Have actually started a couple DDs with that single food plan in mind but rebel by afternoon. Another example of how different we all are and how JUDDD accomodates us all.

At least after the first day, I have lots of single bite foods already prepared so no cooking for me today either. It is like a day of hors d'vors with a small bowl of oatmeal and strawberries in the evening to help me sleep.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #65
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by C'Marie View Post
Wow, you guys - that's a lot of food prep. If I did it, mine would go something like:

Coffee
bacon

coffee
bacon

coffee
bacon

etc etc etc

well, I better eat some celery, so then:
celery
bacon

celery
bacon

I like DD because I don't have to fix anything in the kitchen My last really successful DD hungry-wise was 5 boiled eggs, nothing else. Boring! but I didn't get hungry at all, all day. I know I can't eat like that all the time.

Thanks for sharing!

C'Marie, sounds like my kind of day! Me Love Bacon!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

Bacon is good!!

C'Marie, I actually eat a lot of bacon! Not all day; but, scattered thru the day. I'm like cici! I have to have a bit of variety. I didn't plan well for today's DD. So, I have bacon cooked until I figure it out.

Shari
Old 10-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Eat View Post
Congratulations on the loss, Shari!!
I have my arms outstreached in anticipation of catching the whoosh fairy
She paid me a visit!! I was getting so tired of looking at the same number on the scale.

Whoosh Fairy is currently available
Luv2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #68
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
:no twrthy:
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
Kissa, do you need her? Are you below your goal weight? Wow, you've lost so much weight
Luv2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:59 PM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

Luv the avitar, Luv2eat. You are adorable! Yay, you on the whoosh!
Old 10-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #71

Thanks, for the offer, but I am fine. Just a couple of pounds up because of a lovely weekend. All will be well in a couple of days.

Love those shoes!
Old 10-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #72

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I haven't been around here for awhile and look what I found when I stopped in. You found this old post. LOL

Well, I'm glad it's helped some of you. It is very effective. I'm one who always got hungry once I'd eaten, so always thought I needed to hold off eating as long as possible rather than awaken my appetite, and then have few DD calories to feed it! But for some reason, this eating a bit every single hour seemed to take away that hungry monster, so in the end.. I had less hunger and was, in fact, so full at the end of most days that I couldn't even eat all that I had prepared. So, even lower Down Day calories! Woo Hoo!

I did find that there ended up being just a few things I fixed, weighed into my tiny mini-meals, and then just ate on those few things. I still do this fairly often when I see that my weight is edging a little higher, and it's still completely effective.

Glad you bumped it back up for other to see, just in case it helps some folks get through their Down Days successfully, 'cause those are the days that really slim us down. The Up Days are for enjoying delightful meals and nourishing our bodies fully with a wide variety of foods, and for enjoying the social aspect of sharing food with our families and friends, and the Down Days are for fasting and introspection, knowing that we are giving our bodies a break from digestion and an opportunity to search throughout our bodies and 'sweep up' all the damage that might be residing there. How wonderful it is when we learn and grow to loving and enjoying both days fully.

Hope you all are doing well.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:22 AM   #73

Always a joy to see your lovely smiling face Pat. You have really helped so many of us, so often and this seems to be a boon to lots of struggling DDers.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:54 AM   #74

Good Morning, Kissa and Everyone!

Seeing this thread bumped back up and reading that others have tried it and enjoyed it for appetite control on their Down Days and for a (sometimes) little weight loss whoosh, I decided to do it for myself today as well.

I'm in the kitchen, working on my first cup of coffee with 1˝ fl ounce half & half cream (31 calories)... and bagging up the various food portions I'm going to have today for my hourly feedings, all in the 30-calories-each range. I do this occasionally to mix things up, and always enjoy it. Today's foods will include:

coffee w/half & half
blueberries
cantaloupe
egg whites
ham
chicken liver
B/S chicken breast
spinach w/FF dressing
green pepper slices
grape tomatoes
Magic Pop w/lite cheese wedge
tilapia

Less than an hour spent weighing out portions and bagging individually, and I'm done. Plus, while I'm at it, I do a bunch extra for the next DD, and it's done too. So not just effective and fun, it's pretty quick and easy too.

Have a great day, JUDDD BUDDDs.. whether an UD or DD.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #75
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Pat! I am one of those that your post has helped! I owe you a debt of gratitude! After another successful DD yesterday, I'm down another pound. That's just icing on the cake! Your menu sounds good! I need to work on more of a variety with my mini meals on my DD's. I ate watermelon yesterday that was soooooooooooo good & I'd not had it for some time. I love cantelope as well! I just need to keep the highly processed carbs to a bare minimum. They don't like me very much & the feeling is mutual!

Again, thanks, Pat! Have a great day!

Shari
Old 10-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Eat View Post
She paid me a visit!! I was getting so tired of looking at the same number on the scale.

Whoosh Fairy is currently available
If I keep jumping like this, I'll have to call it excercise!! lol!

Congrats on your whoosh! It feels so good, doesn't it! Enjoy, enjoy!

Shari
Old 10-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shari4 View Post
Hi Pat! I am one of those that your post has helped! I owe you a debt of gratitude! After another successful DD yesterday, I'm down another pound. That's just icing on the cake! Your menu sounds good! I need to work on more of a variety with my mini meals on my DD's. I ate watermelon yesterday that was soooooooooooo good & I'd not had it for some time. I love cantelope as well! I just need to keep the highly processed carbs to a bare minimum. They don't like me very much & the feeling is mutual!

Again, thanks, Pat! Have a great day!

Shari
Glad it has helped you, Shari. When I do the mini-meals, I always spend about an hour or a little less, bagging up my little portions right next to the scale, so I fix for about the next three Down Days all at the same time. Certainly makes the coming DDs easy peasy.. Open a bag at the top of the hour and eat the contents.

But I'm skipping the fresh blueberries today!!!!! SIX DOLLARS for the itty bitty little box of them today. Hy Vee is absolutely the most expensive grocery store in this area, by far. Wow. (I usually shop at Aldi's and notice it is so, so, so much less expensive.) I'll go out in a bit and go dig around in my freezer. Hopefully there's still a bag of frozen in there.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:28 AM   #78
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: C'Marie
Stats: 270/down 110-ish/ goal 147
WOE: hCG Rx shots/JUDDD maintain
Start Date: 1/4/2010 Now R9 P2
*wait* WHAT? eating every hour creates a whoosh? Does it matter "what" you eat at the top of the hour (or the bottom - does that matter?)..... how does it create a whoosh? 'esplain, please That'd be some pretty good inducement to me to try it, even though it would be hard to do for me at work and school. But maybe once a week? hm.... I guess I could just eat a piece of bacon every hour ! LOL
C'Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:38 AM   #79

I don't think this is scientifically proven Marie, lol. But if I was stalled I'd give it a go!
Old 10-17-2012, 05:09 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'Marie View Post
*wait* WHAT? eating every hour creates a whoosh? Does it matter "what" you eat at the top of the hour (or the bottom - does that matter?)..... how does it create a whoosh? 'esplain, please That'd be some pretty good inducement to me to try it, even though it would be hard to do for me at work and school. But maybe once a week? hm.... I guess I could just eat a piece of bacon every hour ! LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
I don't think this is scientifically proven Marie, lol. But if I was stalled I'd give it a go!
LOLOLOL No, I don't think it's been proven, Marie, but....... I did it yesterday for my DD, and I am down 1.8 pounds from my weigh-in yesterday morning before my DD started until this morning, when I weighed in, empty, before getting my coffee to begin this lovely UD today.

And, no, this doesn't happen every time. But then, I don't do it every DD either. I sort of forget as I wander off thinking about other possible DD foods, like a heaping plate of spaghetti, etc.

Here's what I think may be what happens:

We have learned that our weight loss doesn't exactly follow our fat loss on the scale. Sounds funny, but when you need to use stored body fat for energy, the emptied fat cell doesn't just flatten, like an empty envelope. Our body takes out the fat to use, but *saves* that empty fat cell for later use... just in case it's needed... by filling it with water. The water sort of *saves the space*, as it were. Apparently it's more efficient to save an emptied fat cell, in case it's needed again shortly, than it is to create a whole new one when it's needed.

It seems like periodically during weight loss, something triggers our bodies to jettison that bit of stored water. For some it seems like eating this mini-meal way on DDs can do that. Sometimes. Obviously, you are not going to get this whoosh unless you are getting rid of some stored fluid weight because our body fat just doesn't melt away to this extend in just a period of 24 hours. But it's fun when you can see the scale take that swoop downward from the morning before. It's fun that the whoosh does seem to get triggered by this sometimes.

The trick is to just keep more of the downward movement happening than the reverse!
Old 10-17-2012, 05:32 AM   #81
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
My guess is kicking off the whole digestive process every hour convinces your body that the famine has ended - it can invoke a lot of what happens internally on UD. But, the low calories give those UD processes very little to work with - so fat burns instead. And we all know how quickly the smell of burning fat catches the attention of the whoosh fairy!

hmmmm ... It would be interesting to know whether or how much you guys are producing sirtuin proteins while eating small, frequent meals. Has anyone who usually gets chilled on DD noticed whether you feel chilled when eating hourly? Dr J says on average it takes about two weeks to burn off sirtuin saturation. Has anyone done more than two weeks of hourly DD eating? If so, did anything change after those two weeks?

Personally, I'm betting even if hourly eating slows or stops sirtuin production, injecting the occasional 'regular' style DD (maybe one a week? one every fifth DD?) would probably shake things up and keep the sirts flowing and the whoosh fairy fluttering around smiling.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:46 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
My guess is kicking off the whole digestive process every hour convinces your body that the famine has ended - it can invoke a lot of what happens internally on UD. But, the low calories give those UD processes very little to work with - so fat burns instead. And we all know how quickly the smell of burning fat catches the attention of the whoosh fairy!

hmmmm ... It would be interesting to know whether or how much you guys are producing sirtuin proteins while eating small, frequent meals. Has anyone who usually gets chilled on DD noticed whether you feel chilled when eating hourly? Dr J says on average it takes about two weeks to burn off sirtuin saturation. Has anyone done more than two weeks of hourly DD eating? If so, did anything change after those two weeks?

Personally, I'm betting even if hourly eating slows or stops sirtuin production, injecting the occasional 'regular' style DD (maybe one a week? one every fifth DD?) would probably shake things up and keep the sirts flowing and the whoosh fairy fluttering around smiling.
I haven't noticed any difference, Nancy.

My thought is that the timing of when you eat your 500 calories during your 36-hour fasting period doesn't matter, either for weight loss or for sirtuin production. I would think that having a big single 500-cal meal at the end of a DD would do more to *break* that period of fasting than the tiny trickle of nutrient that these bitty 30-calorie feeds do. But who knows?

I'm (currently) of the opinion that the tiny mini-meals go almost unnoticed by the body, so there is just almost no interruption in your fasting from suppertime on your last UD, and then uninterrupted fasting during the nighttime, and then all day, during your DD, there is no big meal.. that these little mini-meals just go unnoticed..

so your body considers the day to be ongoing fasting..

and there is no big meal in the evening either, because of the ongoing tiny mini-meals, so no break in the sirtuin stream..

and then continued fasting during the nighttime again.

So that long ongoing span of approx. 36 hours with no eating, as far as your body is aware, because the 30-cal feedings never amount to enough to trigger much of any reaction within your brain or body.

But that's just my guess.

I can only tell you that I feel no hunger on DDs eating like this, weight can be maintained or drop like a stone, depending on my UD calories that are in play too.

Pretty interesting way to do DDs, because I think it squeezes out the best of fasting and SIRT1 benefits with the least suffering.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:18 AM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
LOLOLOL No, I don't think it's been proven, Marie, but.......
Here's what I think may be what happens:

We have learned that our weight loss doesn't exactly follow our fat loss on the scale. Sounds funny, but when you need to use stored body fat for energy, the emptied fat cell doesn't just flatten, like an empty envelope. Our body takes out the fat to use, but *saves* that empty fat cell for later use... just in case it's needed... by filling it with water. The water sort of *saves the space*, as it were. Apparently it's more efficient to save an emptied fat cell, in case it's needed again shortly, than it is to create a whole new one when it's needed.

It seems like periodically during weight loss, something triggers our bodies to jettison that bit of stored water. For some it seems like eating this mini-meal way on DDs can do that. Sometimes. Obviously, you are not going to get this whoosh unless you are getting rid of some stored fluid weight because our body fat just doesn't melt away to this extend in just a period of 24 hours. But it's fun when you can see the scale take that swoop downward from the morning before. It's fun that the whoosh does seem to get triggered by this sometimes.

The trick is to just keep more of the downward movement happening than the reverse!
That is the best explaination I have ever heard, Pat.

Regarding the sirtuin production, I do remember Dr. Johnson suggesting that the protein drinks he advocates in the first two weeks be sipped throughout the day in small amounts rather than a whole drink at traditional meal intervals.

Last edited by cici52; 10-17-2012 at 06:23 AM..
Old 10-17-2012, 06:25 AM   #84
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Yeah, that 'big' 500 cal meal on DD has always puzzled me. I know the answer will be different for everyone, but how the heck does my body decide what is feast and what is famine? And what triggers my body deciding the two have switched places, time to generate sirts!?

Is there a magic calories eaten number? Is it based on calories burned? (If it is then, as you say Pat, little 30 cal meals would probably not even catch the liver's attention.) Speaking of which, is there some point when glycogen stores are being used for energy (because cals eaten are all used up) that triggers JUDDD magic? Betcha there is.

Whatever. I am all about not suffering!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:55 AM   #85

Quote:
Yeah, that 'big' 500 cal meal on DD has always puzzled me. I know the answer will be different for everyone, but how the heck does my body decide what is feast and what is famine? And what triggers my body deciding the two have switched places, time to generate sirts!?

Is there a magic calories eaten number? Is it based on calories burned? (If it is then, as you say Pat, little 30 cal meals would probably not even catch the liver's attention.) Speaking of which, is there some point when glycogen stores are being used for energy (because cals eaten are all used up) that triggers JUDDD magic? Betcha there is.

Whatever. I am all about not suffering!
I'm with you!!! Hate the suffering. Not interested in doing it anymore. Not for beauty. Not for weight loss. Not for anything I can help. Anymore. I'm too old. I've suffered for these things enough. It's over. Now I want easy and simple. And fun!
Old 10-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #86
Major LCF Poster!

C'Marie, I wish I got a whoosh after each DD that I've eaten hourly. I seem to go down each time; but, not a whoosh. Two of my last DD's I went down .4. Not bad tho in my book. I did get a big whoosh that first time I ate hourly & yesterday I dropped 1.4lbs!! Today is my 5th DD to eat hourly & if the pattern holds, I will probably lose a fraction of a pound. I will take any & all loss!! With my loss yesterday, I met my goal for October of being under 170!! I couldn't be happier!!!!

Thanks Pat for the explanation of how these hourly foods work in our bodies. Very interesting stuff! And I'm with you on making extra mini meals for the next DD's. I have some of those today & I need to make a few more for today, so I'll make extra there too. Eventually, I hope to not have to make anything on some DD's. I'm all for simple as well. I'm too old to complicate things! And I have so many other things to fill my days. lol!

Nancy, I haven't noticed any change about getting chilled either. I still get chilled. As for suffering? I had hoped when I began this WOE that I would not have to suffer everyday. I never thought I could make it thru DD's but, other's did so I had hope. Now, I look forward to them! Surprise, surprise!!! That's the kind of surprise I really like!

Have a great day everyone!
Shari
Old 10-17-2012, 09:34 AM   #87

So delighted you have seen the 160s Shari.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #88
Major LCF Poster!

Me, too! Thanks, Kissa!

Shari
Old 10-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #89
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
...little 30 cal meals would probably not even catch the liver's attention.
Actually, I think they might catch the liver's attention...but in a good way!

Dr Bernstein & some other nutritionists I've read (including Diane Kress, whose "Diabetes Miracle" plan I'm currently on) say that the carbs eaten over a 5-hour period "accumulate". That is, less than 5g net carb eaten at one time will not trigger an insulin release; but if you eat 2 or 3g every hour, they will--probably a small insulin response. (Dr B recommends at least 5 hours between meals, no snacking; Diane recommends NOT letting more than 5 hours between meals, and low-carb snacking if necessary.)

OTOH, when you go 5 hours or more without eating, your liver will "feed" you with glucose--up to 45-65g of it, and a big insulin response! This is known as "liver dump". And cortisol is involved in this process, which has a reputation as a stress hormone that can increase fat storage, especially belly fat.

So, eating frequently may prevent the stress response and keep insulin and cortisol--both hormones which facilitate fat storage--levels low. And maybe this signals your body that you're not going to be needing those fat cells after all, so go ahead and dump that water?!

Anyway, 60 cal meals every 2 hours, 90 cals every 3 hours, etc may work as well. As long as you don't let yourself get too hungry and you don't go more than 5 hours without food.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #90
WJS
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WJS
Stats: 165/136/125 Height 5.5"
WOE: Trying HDE
Start Date: August 27, 2012
But doesn't this go against what Dr Johnson and IF recommends? For example the Horizon program advocated complete fasts.
WJS is online now   Reply With Quote