Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<275/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewstate View Post
What I propose is why eat in the morning when you are not hungry?
Idk if anyone here's following the cortisol thread, but for some of us with adrenal/blood glucose/insomnia issues, it actually can be beneficial to (force ourselves to) have some protein asap in the morning.

It's not always easy or fun, but it makes my bg go down 20-30 points & I can get to sleep 2-4 hours earlier.

Not arguing here, just another approach.

I started perusing the paleoforwomen site mentioned by mykidsteacher, and the phenomenon of women+fasting+insomnia is more prevalent than I realized.

Last edited by piratejenny; 08-11-2012 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: tech diff :)
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
My first 'meal' is coffee. Been doin' that forever. Every time I've tried to deal w a 'real' breakfast, I feel like crap.

I do have a list of 100 cal DD food/meals so I tend to do something like this but I probably need the smaller, more frequent meals, especially toward evening.

Monday is the day to put it to the test.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alcestis
Stats: 210/165/155 5' 8"
Start Date: December 13th, 2011
My day turned into a flurry of commitments until 4pm, so I didn't get to test the one-hour plan today. I did have all my food planned out, but I ate most of it as one meal when I finally got home

I'll try again on Monday. Very interesting thread!
Alcestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Ok, so I'm almost done repeating this experiment, Pat!

The morning was a bit hungrier than usual for me but by afternoon it was smooth sailing. I was clearly ahead of the hunger curve and stayed there for most of the day. It was only around 8pm that my body seemed to realize that it wasn't going to actually get a dinner, and I've started to eye the clock with eagerness.

This approach really helped me get through a social event today, so I'm grateful. I think I'll try it again on another day to see what it holds for me.

Bacon, btw, seemed to hold me the longest. In fact, next time I do it, it maybe nothing but bacon and eggs all day :P
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:53 PM   #35
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post
Ok, so I'm almost done repeating this experiment, Pat!

The morning was a bit hungrier than usual for me but by afternoon it was smooth sailing. I was clearly ahead of the hunger curve and stayed there for most of the day. It was only around 8pm that my body seemed to realize that it wasn't going to actually get a dinner, and I've started to eye the clock with eagerness.

This approach really helped me get through a social event today, so I'm grateful. I think I'll try it again on another day to see what it holds for me.

Bacon, btw, seemed to hold me the longest. In fact, next time I do it, it maybe nothing but bacon and eggs all day :P
Sounds like you have a pretty positive experience with this mini-meal feeding plan overall.

Tomorrow is another DD for me, so I'm going to do exactly this again, probably with some of the same choices and some new ones. I look forward to seeing how I feel once again, as it's not my usual way of eating my DD calories, but I really do kinda' like it!

Enjoy the bacon and eggs one of these times. I'm not a real big bacon fan, although absolutely love BLTs and bacon in beans.

Good to hear your report.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #36

This is going to be my second day of the *mini-meal experiment* of eating a little food each hour throughout the day and evening. So far, another day with no hunger pangs and almost no appetite even.. although it's only nearing 11:30 on this Sunday morning. From now on, if I post DD foods at all, I'll probably just post them in our normal daily menu thread...

Here is my DD today: 16 mini-meals * ****** gives 552 calories total

36% protein * 21% fat * 43% carbohydrate

50.2 grams of protein * 61.7 grams of carb * 14.8 grams fiber

8 oz coffee
1 tbsp half & half
1 tbsp fat-free creamer

2 egg whites, poached
1 spritz Pam oil spray

8 oz coffee
1 tbsp half & half
1 tbsp fat-free creamer

2 tbsp dry oatmeal, cooked in
1/4 cup water
1 tsp Walden Farms 0-Calorie Pancake Syrup

1 oz green peas, frozen
1.2 oz carrots, chopped

1 oz chicken liver

1 oz onion
1 oz sweet red pepper
2 oz string green beans, fresh

1 oz chicken breast, boneless & skinless
.8 oz romaine lettuce
2 tsp Maple Farms Raspberry Vinaigrette

2 tbsp low-cal tomato sauce
-- sprinkle of Italian seasonings
2 oz zucchini squash, chopped
1.35 oz fresh spinach, shreds
1/3 serving shirataki noodles w/seaweed

1 Magic Pop crispy snack
3/4 wedge Aldi lite cheese

8 oz coffee
1 tbsp half & half
1 tbsp fat-free creamer

2 egg whites
1 spritz Pam oil spray

1 oz chicken breast, boneless & skinless
.8 oz romaine lettuce
2 tsp Maple Farms Raspberry Vinaigrette

3 oz broccoli, steamed
1 tsp balsamic vinegar

1 oz blueberries
2 oz strawberries

1/2 cup vanilla almond milk, unsweetened
2 tbsp pumpkin puree
1/4 tsp cinnamon spice
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tbsp Walden Farms 0-Calorie Pancake Syrup
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #37
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Sounds interesting, Pat!
How are you cooking the chicken liver? (I love chicken livers )
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:42 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Sounds interesting, Pat!
How are you cooking the chicken liver? (I love chicken livers )
On Down Days about everything is very, very plain and pure. Nothing is cooked the yummy way it would be on Up Days. Up Days are my lavish and over-the-top foods and cooking.. throwing in all the extras, scoop on the sauces, butter the breads high, etc. But DDs.. those are pretty plain. I just concentrate on the nutrition available from very few calories on those days.

I just figured on DDs, I'd invest the few calories in the actual nutritional food, rather than in the coatings and oils, sauces and amazing little snips of added ingredients of this and that that really make a dish extra delicious. So my DD foods are pretty plain, and mostly just steamed or nuked in a miniscule bit of water until tender, and then seasoned with a sprinkle of salt.

I like chicken livers too, although today's little serving will probably just be gently cooked through in the microwave until just done and tender, plain and unadorned, and sprinkled with a bit of salt. (On Up Days, I'd do the dredge in flour and fry up in pure butter, butter, butter! LOL)

But, that one single little ounce of chicken liver today is providing almost twice my daily need for vitamin B-12 and nicely over my day's need for vitamin A, plus helping provide a portion of many other needed nutrients too, so a good choice for me for this day.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
I had not planned a DD today but my stomach was unsettled so I figured, why not try...

I had already had cream in my coffee so that was a fairly high cal meal!!

I made a smoothie of protein powder, strawberries, stevia and water. Added some gluc and split it into 2 servings about 50 cal each.
I did not want anything in an hour so it was about 2 hrs and the other serving was like pudding and a bit sticky. I thinned it and all was well.

Still full in an hour. Couple hours later made zucch soup. Cabbage stir fry for dinner.

At about 5 I made this smoothie w canteloupe and ff greek yogurt from Low Carb Diner (I think). The flavor was yum but the melon didn't blend up smoothly....kind of like applesauce. Don't know if I'll do that again.

Anyway, I came in a bit over 500. My stomach is still....funny.
I do think that starting to eat mini meals in the late morning when I get hungry helps me avoid being so ravenous around 2 pm that nothing will calm it.

Also will better be able to test it when my tummy is better. I will stick to meat tomorrow to get it over with.

Pat your menu looks like so much food to consume hourly. Do you end up eating it all? I know it's small amts.........
Old 08-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51 View Post
I had not planned a DD today but my stomach was unsettled so I figured, why not try...

I had already had cream in my coffee so that was a fairly high cal meal!!

I made a smoothie of protein powder, strawberries, stevia and water. Added some gluc and split it into 2 servings about 50 cal each.
I did not want anything in an hour so it was about 2 hrs and the other serving was like pudding and a bit sticky. I thinned it and all was well.

Still full in an hour. Couple hours later made zucch soup. Cabbage stir fry for dinner.

At about 5 I made this smoothie w canteloupe and ff greek yogurt from Low Carb Diner (I think). The flavor was yum but the melon didn't blend up smoothly....kind of like applesauce. Don't know if I'll do that again.

Anyway, I came in a bit over 500. My stomach is still....funny.
I do think that starting to eat mini meals in the late morning when I get hungry helps me avoid being so ravenous around 2 pm that nothing will calm it.

Also will better be able to test it when my tummy is better. I will stick to meat tomorrow to get it over with.

Pat your menu looks like so much food to consume hourly. Do you end up eating it all? I know it's small amts.........
That is the problem I run into. I just can't eat it all. Even though the calories are modest, it just gets to be too much, to the point where it overpowers the appetite. I did skip one of my evening mini-meals a couple of days ago when I first did this, and had to skip three of the feedings today.

On my next DD, instead of eating every hour on the hour, I'm going to eat every one hour and fifteen minutes. That will cut the meals down to 13 instead of 16, and will cut the calories down too, by about 100 or so. I'll see how that feels.

Even though the mini-meals are very few calories each, it does end up being a LOT of food to get down. But very good nutritionally, covering all the bases pretty well, and many of the bases more than enough. I try to focus not just on keeping low calorie and getting through my Down Days, but to actually making them nutritious as well. But it's too much food.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Hi Pat,

I am just curious, why do 2 down days in a row? I guess I thought that was not a good thing to do?
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Hi Pat,

I am just curious, why do 2 down days in a row? I guess I thought that was not a good thing to do?
??? I did a Down Day on Friday, yesterday was a full Up Day, and then today is another Down Day.

I don't understand what you are asking. LOL What do you mean?
Old 08-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #43

Oh.. I think I *got it*.. I said previously that this was the second day of the experiment. I should have said it is the second Down Day of the experiment. There was an Up Day between today and my previous DD. Sorry.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Yup, I thought you meant 2 in a row. I am convinced this would help keep hunger at bay. Glad you found a way to do this!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wiiiifit
Stats: 20/12/8
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: Feb 2012
This is interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Not sure if I can do it with the kids, (school, the running and picking up, etc.) Maybe I could try every 2 hours, though.
wiiiifit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiiiifit View Post
This is interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Not sure if I can do it with the kids, (school, the running and picking up, etc.) Maybe I could try every 2 hours, though.
I really, really, really love this, although I'll probably fine tune it a bit as well. Haven't tried eating every other hour yet, so will see how that goes for me sometime. Eating every hour took away any appetite that was building before it ever amounted to anything at all.

I'm going to figure out some little *grab and go* things that don't take any real preparation too, which would simplify things some. I'd like some 35-calorie mini-meal things I could put in baggies in my purse for the times I'm out running errands, etc. If I continue doing DDs this way, which I already LOVE, I'll need to be able to simplify it for those busy times and away-from-home times too.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:48 AM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Can't remember what I was looking for when I found this, but it kind of goes along with an idea I've had about making a lot of different delicious small bites/appetizers to pop throughout a DD. So today, an UD, I plan to spend a lot of time cooking and tomorrow will be trying this experiment. Bumped it because it might be helpful to another new person.

Thanks SoHappy.

Last edited by cici52; 10-11-2012 at 06:02 AM..
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:22 AM   #48

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Great plan Cici. We can rely on Pat to come up with good ideas.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:33 AM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shari4
Stats: 200/140.4/140 (190/168.4/140)65yrs
Start Date: Started JUDDD: 9/24/12 @181(again 2/1/14 @ 190)
Thanks, cici, for bumping this up! I find this very interesting! Today is a DD for me; but, I think I'll plan this for my next DD & give it a try. It's almost noon & I haven't had anything but coffee w/sugar free swiss mocha added(30 calories).

I'll let y'all know what happens.

Shari
Shari4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:47 AM   #50
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Thanks, Cici. I'm going to keep this idea in my back pocket. Usually I try not to eat much until dinner, but there are struggle DDs when I think I could really use this idea!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #51
WJS
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WJS
Stats: 165/136/125 Height 5.5"
WOE: Trying HDE
Start Date: August 27, 2012
Has anyone noticed a difference in weight loss eating frequently versus for example one 300 calorie meal in the evening only?
WJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #52
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I'm in big trouble if I start eating early. Once I eat, I wake up the hungry monster. No food= no hungry for me. Everyone is different though. It's 8pm and all I have had is a stalk of celery with 0 calorie walden farms dressing as dip.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

I decided to do this today! It worked great!! My total calories were 407, 27g fat, 29g protein, 7 carbs & 4 fiber! I'm having a teaspoon of natural peanut butter & then I'm off to bed! Not sure if I'll eat this way every DD; but, it will be an option. I'm curious to see in the morning how it's affecting my weight.

Shari
Old 10-12-2012, 04:19 AM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Shari, I'm excited that it worked for you. Here is my plan for today, my counter says 512 calories. Hope it goes as well as your DD did.

7am Coffee w/HWC 1 tbsp
8 am -1 Extra Large Egg White
9 Strawberries - Raw, 0.5 cup, halves
10 -1 Extra Large Egg White
11 -2 grilled garlic shrimp, Green Tea, 8 oz
noon - mocha mousse, 1 serving
1 pm -cranberry meatball (1),
2 -1 blue cheese bite
3 - Green Tea, 8 oz, 1.5" cucumber/1.5Tsour cream, 1 serving
4 -Stuffed mushrooms, 1 serving(s)
5 -snow pea slaw, 1 serving(s) Bigelow - Green Tea, 8 oz
6 - 2 grilled garlic shrimp, herbal tea, 8 oz
7 0.5 cup fresh cubed cantaloupe

AIM challenge
Old 10-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

It worked!!

I'm in love with my scales this morning! Not really; but, I am in love with the 3lb. 6oz. loss! I don't know that I can always eat on the hour for my DD's. But, on days that I can, I will.

Pat, I want to thank you for posting about hourly eating yesterday! You may have saved my life or at the very least kept me JUDDDing! I wasn't ready to give up this WOE; but, I was getting discouraged. I guess my patience was wearing thin. Note to self: "You didn't put it on in a day, it won't come off in a day!!"

Cici, I hope you're day goes as well as mine did for me.

Again, to Pat, thank you so much!

Shari

I’ve always wanted to be normal, but lately I’ve come to suspect that this is it.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #56

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
The Whoosh Fairy came! But as usual you helped her, that is such a great loss Shari. If you look you'll see that dear Pat posted this months ago, it's just that Cici bumped it at exactly the right time for you.

Good work both of you.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #57
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
WAHOO Shari! What a great loss!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
The Whoosh Fairy came! But as usual you helped her, that is such a great loss Shari. If you look you'll see that dear Pat posted this months ago, it's just that Cici bumped it at exactly the right time for you.

Good work both of you.
You're right Kissa!! I owe Cici a HUGE thank you for bumping this up for me to see!! Thank you!!

LCG, thank you!! A visit from the Whoosh Fairy was needed! Now, I'm sending her out to all of you!

Shari
Old 10-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Great loss, Shari! Hope the scales reward me, as well.

This first day is a little labor intensive, figuring it all out. However, I did prepare some things that will be easy to reheat in the future for an easy repeat. Haven't been hungry yet and crazy energy.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
Congratulations on the loss, Shari!!
I have my arms outstreached in anticipation of catching the whoosh fairy
Luv2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote