Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Week Five on JUDDD--Report!

Home at last!

Given the opportunity to work my rotations in my own home with more exact calorie counts, I've now reclaimed my 10 lb loss on JUDDD. I'm sure the scale will bounce up again tomorrow after the up day I have planned, but I'm gonna claim it :P

I'd been doing WW before, and lost 5 lbs on that, so I'm down 15 lbs over all, though that's not in my stats. (Really, really happy about this!)

First, the downsides this week:

1) Increased Hunger. This week, appetite has returned to me with a vengeance. I've felt like I'm starting this WOE all over again. Which I guess, after my vacation, I am. I've not only been uncomfortably hungry every down day this week but also dreaming about food constantly, reading recipe books, obsessing about what I can eat. When my husband comes home from work on DD's I don't say, "Hi honey, how was your day?" I say, "Can we finally eat dinner? I'm starving!" The up days are awesome, but the down days are pretty down this week. That frightens me b/c it's not my TOM or anything. How long until I totally snap? I've committed to another month of JUDDD and the weight loss is highly motivating to me to keep going but if there's anything that's going to break me, it's going to be this. I'm gonna have to figure out a magic DD menu that keeps me sane. In the meantime, let's all pray to the gods of appetite suppression that easier down days return to me...

2) Wasting Food. I can't use up higher calorie leftovers on down days and I rebel against using them on up days unless they were really good. So there are things in my fridge going to waste more than before. Of course, this may be why I'm losing weight. Allow me to explain. My husband won't eat leftovers--even something that he likes. This infuriates me. And because I dislike wasting food or throwing it away, I've always eaten his leftovers from dinner for lunch the next day, and considering dinners are usually higher calorie here in Drayvania, that probably helped pack on the pounds. Now, I can't be too upset about this whole wasting food thing because my grocery bill is still lower on JUDDD than it's been in years. And I'm thinking that eventually I will learn how to use everything up on successive up days...

The upsides this week have been:

1) Handling Cravings. I can indulge any craving on an up day--which usually kills it for a while. This is not to be underestimated, I think. There's a lot of control to be had in the idea "I can have it tomorrow." I brought back a box of See's nut chews and candies from my trip to California. My idiot thinking on other diets would have been, "I'm not throwing this away, so I might as well eat it now and get all the damage over with." Now I have a few pieces every other day. Very pleasurable treat that makes me feel as if I'm not putting off the good things in life until I'm thinner!

2) More Veggies & Fruits. I incorporate lots of vegetables on down days for bulk but the surprise has been how much I use on up days when left to my own devices. This morning's breakfast was two slices of rye toast topped with a generous amount of cream cheese, capers, smoked salmon, cucumber, red onion, and big slices of tomato--and I had the veggies piled high.

3) Flexibility. On an up day this week, I'd planned to cook beef tips with mushrooms, onions, and a bourbon sauce. The day went to hell when both my computers crashed (long story) and by dinner time, I didn't have the sanity left to cook. So we ordered take-out, fish, wings, coleslaw, and dirty rice--usually a diet killer--but in this case, I knew the approximate calorie counts of the food and the next morning I was down another pound. Crazy!

4) JUDDD BUDDDs. You guys are always an upside!

Last edited by stephdray; 08-10-2012 at 09:29 AM..
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I love reading all of your threads Steph!

It is true that the hunger can be a monster. In my case, it has gotten much better on DD and I think it is the supplements I take, but still not for certain??? Have you thought about spreading out your *meager* allotment throughout the day?

If you have a chance, go read Pat's (SoHappy) post on the "Blood Sugar" thread.

Love that you are enjoying great weight loss!

sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Here ya go! I really like Pat's idea...

Q: NOT fasting better for adrenals (+ cortisol, blood glucose, etc)?
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cactusrose63
Stats: 154/147/130 - 5'4", Age: 52, Highest:178
WOE: JUDDD 1850/700 or less if I can!
Start Date: JUDDD 4/30/12, LC and Carb Cycling 2002-2011
On the subject of DDs...

I also fill up/bulk up on veggies. It helps tremendously IMO.

Other observations I discovered about my DD's:
A huge lightbulb went on one day--I need protein, low cal-high protein to survive. Lots of ideas on the DD recipe type threads and I have some personal faves if you are interested...
I need to eat a good filling high protein breakfast before working out on my days off, or early in the day (before 10am) at work or I seem to starve all day long. I used to try to eat as late in the day as possible, but someone else recommended eating a bit earlier in the day and it ended up being my saving grace.
I drink carbonated diet (gasp) orange soda or root beer with 1 TBSP heavy cream in the afternoon. It's like a float, YUM and keeps me really full in the afternoon and gets me through till dinner.
OR, if I am feeling as though I need to stay away from the artificial sweeteners, I have Pellegrino water, etc with a lime or lemon wedge. Also filling in the afternoon.

Best to you! The SIRT-1 effects of appetite suppression will return to you soon!! In the mean time, see if other habits will help you cope a bit better on your DD's.

Lost 3 pounds from Jan 1 2012 til April 30 2012 by "eating healthy", LC, etc...
Lost 12 pounds from May 1 2012 til September 1 2012 with JUDDD

Down and Up 10-15# every year since 2000 with VLC, semi LC and Carb Cycling
Anticipating forever success with JUDDD!!
cactusrose63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
I'm also a "combination" eater on DDs. I need bulk and protein, so I tend to skip breakfast, but then have a bulky lunch and dinner. If I'm absolutely not able to make it to lunch, I'll have greek yogurt or a SW protein shake for breakfast or a snack, and it seems to stay with me fairly well. Big piles of veggies with just a small amount of chicken breast or tuna work well. A common lunch (other than my infamous chili addiction) is a whole, peeled cucumber sliced with a whole, small tomato chopped, and a small amount of canned tuna, salmon, or chicken. I spray a little ACV over this, and it's very filling, for very few calories.

If I have just protein or fat, I get hungry faster. Same with just veggies, unless I'm having a very easy day--then I'm fine with just veggies.

You'll get your menus figured out with what works best for you, and then it'll be smooth sailing!

WTG on getting back to pre-vacation weight, as well as normalizing your response to the See's candies. Many of us have noticed that change in mentality, with just knowing we CAN and WILL be able to eat whatever we want again in just a day or two. It's so freeing.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
WTG on getting back to where you were pre-vacation! Hoping for appetite suppression to kick in so those dd's get easier.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Whitlin'
Stats: 162/149/149
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March, 2009
Hi, Steph. Great news on your 15 pounds. Woo Hoo!

Don't discount checking online calorie listings and then working a fast food meal into your DDs when stressed. A Subway salad with tuna (260), or 6-inch Veggie Delite sandwich (230). Even (shock) a McDonald's ordinary little hamburger (250) or the equivalent at many places. They can work into your calories and eating out seems like a treat that tells you it's a good day.

I love my purse-like insulated bag and toss a frozen temp-keeper whatsit (?) in it and go out to lunch. If the item I order is too much (love the Subway 6-inch tuna sandwich - 470), I bring half back in the bag for tomorrow, or supper if I can afford it. (Subway will cut 6-inch sandwiches in half for you in the first place, btw, no hassle, no temptation.)

I don't know what to tell you about leftovers. I agree it's a shame to waste calories on un-favorites on UDs. Also not nice to give to the neighbor's dog - contributes to delinquency and puppy-waistlines.

Lost 13 pounds on JUDDD in 2009 and began happy maintenance. Slipped up in 2012, but JUDDD got me back to goal!
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Hi Steph & CONGRATS on 15# gone!!

I know there are times it feels like starting over with the appetite suppression - in my experience it occured when I got off the rotation (multiple UDs in a row) or increased my carbs more than usual, besides the hungries of hormonal times such as ovulation and pre-Tom.

You're doing great, and I love reading your reports. KUTGW, my bud!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
WTG Steph!

I'm up 7 after my 2 weeks (plus UUAD weekend back), but I'm also well on the way to where I was now that I'm back.

I like Dawn's suggestions above. When I'm home, I seem to have locked into a DD that works for me-- green iced tea for breakfast until about 2pm or 3pm, then a hb egg with about 1tsp lite mayo (and then I can take my vitamins).
Dinner is where I get the protein and veggie bulk, and at 450 cal or so, that's a good dinner!

I think you're doing great Steph-- I too find my DDs vary, so I just roll with it. Remember, if you need 100 or 200 more calories to get through, you can do that.

and finally, LOL about the DH and leftovers. Mine is the same, though not quite as adamant. He's got an added "disability" of not knowing how long something can be in the fridge before it goes bad... so he opens some deli stuff, and thinks it can be there for EVER!
men

Hugs!
S.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.7/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
WTG Steph,

I tried a bunch of different things for DDs in the beginning. I needed the veggie bulk with a tiny bit of fat. Lots of celery and a little dip also a favorite was homemade cucumber salad with rice vinegar and a few chopped onions. I relied heavily on miracle noodles/rice. I can't believe it, but I prefer to fast now. I eat a 185 calorie snack right before bed because I can sleep if I'm hungry. I hate to waste food too, but I find it happend less and less.
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:33 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/152.8/145
Start Date: March 2012
You are doing great Steph! I am confident that you will be back to easier DD's soon. I don't have much to add other than I have noticed that I can feel impossibly hungry on DD's and then the intensity of the feeling subsides after about 20 minutes. Not always but often and I have found eating a 10 cal frozen Popsicle or even chewing sugar free apple pie gum and drinking a big glass of water or having a tea will do the trick to get me through. I find that I concentrate better on DD's now so it is a good time for me to work on projects that keep me far away from the kitchen.
I don't worry about wasting food now. I used to be the one who ate the egg that had the broken yolk when it was flipped etc. but now I don't have the calorie allotment to waste on anything that isn't perfect I do cook smaller quantities now and have a dog.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:49 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Whitlin'
Stats: 162/149/149
Start Date: March, 2009
Barb

Missed seeing you. Picked up a pack of Orange Creme Popsicle gum the other day and thought of you. I still think you need these cooler desserts in August. I'm saving Apple Pie for Thanksgiving when the sweet potato cassarole starts messing with my mind.

Yes, Steph, a favorite gum lets you walk out of the kitchen chewing, so I vote for that, too.
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: 150?/?/135 52yo
WOE: JUDDDish
Steph, way to go.

I think it's excellent that you're still here.

I also think things just keep shifting as we move along with JUDDD. You find the right dd combo, and then it changes. You're starving every dd and then you're not, suddenly. It's challenging. But you keep getting smaller, which is divine.

The leftovers cracked me up. I hate wasting food (I can hear my mother, my father, tv ads with starving kids, my bank balance, etc.) But I hate being fat, more.
You sound as though you're doing beautifully.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Thanks so much, Babsbabs!

Unfortunately, all the littler tricks of gum, water, tea, have almost no effect on me.

This is probably because I'm so very big, which is my own fault, of course.

A very strong mint tea will convince my stomach--for about fifteen minutes--that it's not in pain. Something about the tingling sensation of the mint confuses my insides... but beyond that, my body is not fooled. At best, I can trick my body into thinking it's had calories with shirataki noodles and glu pudding, both of which are a godsend to me, but even that only lasts about an hour.

What ends up happening is that I am beset with an urgent need to do something every fifteen minutes to an hour to quell the hunger, and that totally ruins any productivity for the day. Not so much b/c I have to find something to eat so frequently, but because all the in-between times are frantic 'OMG, how much longer can I hold out?' moments.

I remember that I called the first DD the longest day of my life--because I spent all of it watching the clock :P However, I remember having quite a few DDs after that be perfectly manageable, so I'm not sure why I'm back into the frantic hunger stage. I've just been trying to convince myself that the discomfort I'm feeling is fat cells dying all over my body. :P

Anyway, more successful strategies for me have included protein/fatty rich breakfasts--they tend to stay with me for a while, but then I risk a lack of satisfaction at dinner time. If I can wait till dinner and have a very high protein dinner of maybe 8oz tilapia with a cucumber and tomato salad, I'm satisfied for the night. But that does involve starving all day. So I still haven't found something that is a perfect solution, but I'm experimenting.

Today, for example, I'm trying Pat's 'eat 35 calories every hour' experiment! I'll let you all know how it goes!

And you're totally right. I don't have the calories to spend on things that aren't perfect. At least this makes me feel like a queen.

Last edited by stephdray; 08-11-2012 at 08:23 AM..
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/152.8/145
Start Date: March 2012
I totally understand what your saying Stephanie. When my appetite was much stronger in the past I probably would have laughed until I cryed if someone suggested a stick of gum might do the trick. It sounds like you are on the right track and I am possitive that at some point soon you will get the appetite suppression working for you again. You are doing great 15 pounds gone is fantastic!
Whitlin'- I am back from vacation and happy to be home again. I did find the orange flavor and it is very good, it is nice to have a few "deserts" to look forward to in the day! I think you will enjoy Thanksgiving. (i do realize that I sound a little gum obsessed!)

Last edited by Babsbabs; 08-11-2012 at 01:07 PM..
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #16
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Steph sorry you are having such issues. I honestly think it sounds physiological to me. I didn't read all your reports. But it sounds kinda like you're having rebound insulin rollercoaster ride from your UD. Maybe making your UD more regimented would help you get through DDs? I know I'm one of the peeps who have to LC on UDs too and can't go crazy or else I gain and also my blood sugar goes nuts and lots of hunger on DDs.

Hope this helps you figure it out!
pooticus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Zoneish, Organic, GrassFed, Gluten-Free 5/13
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post
Home at last!

Given the opportunity to work my rotations in my own home with more exact calorie counts, I've now reclaimed my 10 lb loss on JUDDD. I'm sure the scale will bounce up again tomorrow after the up day I have planned, but I'm gonna claim it :P

I'd been doing WW before, and lost 5 lbs on that, so I'm down 15 lbs over all, though that's not in my stats. (Really, really happy about this!)

First, the downsides this week:

1) Increased Hunger. This week, appetite has returned to me with a vengeance. I've felt like I'm starting this WOE all over again. Which I guess, after my vacation, I am. I've not only been uncomfortably hungry every down day this week but also dreaming about food constantly, reading recipe books, obsessing about what I can eat. When my husband comes home from work on DD's I don't say, "Hi honey, how was your day?" I say, "Can we finally eat dinner? I'm starving!" The up days are awesome, but the down days are pretty down this week. That frightens me b/c it's not my TOM or anything. How long until I totally snap? I've committed to another month of JUDDD and the weight loss is highly motivating to me to keep going but if there's anything that's going to break me, it's going to be this. I'm gonna have to figure out a magic DD menu that keeps me sane. In the meantime, let's all pray to the gods of appetite suppression that easier down days return to me...

2) Wasting Food. I can't use up higher calorie leftovers on down days and I rebel against using them on up days unless they were really good. So there are things in my fridge going to waste more than before. Of course, this may be why I'm losing weight. Allow me to explain. My husband won't eat leftovers--even something that he likes. This infuriates me. And because I dislike wasting food or throwing it away, I've always eaten his leftovers from dinner for lunch the next day, and considering dinners are usually higher calorie here in Drayvania, that probably helped pack on the pounds. Now, I can't be too upset about this whole wasting food thing because my grocery bill is still lower on JUDDD than it's been in years. And I'm thinking that eventually I will learn how to use everything up on successive up days...

The upsides this week have been:

1) Handling Cravings. I can indulge any craving on an up day--which usually kills it for a while. This is not to be underestimated, I think. There's a lot of control to be had in the idea "I can have it tomorrow." I brought back a box of See's nut chews and candies from my trip to California. My idiot thinking on other diets would have been, "I'm not throwing this away, so I might as well eat it now and get all the damage over with." Now I have a few pieces every other day. Very pleasurable treat that makes me feel as if I'm not putting off the good things in life until I'm thinner!

2) More Veggies & Fruits. I incorporate lots of vegetables on down days for bulk but the surprise has been how much I use on up days when left to my own devices. This morning's breakfast was two slices of rye toast topped with a generous amount of cream cheese, capers, smoked salmon, cucumber, red onion, and big slices of tomato--and I had the veggies piled high.

3) Flexibility. On an up day this week, I'd planned to cook beef tips with mushrooms, onions, and a bourbon sauce. The day went to hell when both my computers crashed (long story) and by dinner time, I didn't have the sanity left to cook. So we ordered take-out, fish, wings, coleslaw, and dirty rice--usually a diet killer--but in this case, I knew the approximate calorie counts of the food and the next morning I was down another pound. Crazy!

4) JUDDD BUDDDs. You guys are always an upside!
You are doing great!

My only suggestion is to make less so that you don't have leftovers. I hate wasting food. I also live with a man that could care less about it. He also leaves a little on his plate at every meal - drives me nuts! (I'm always eating his extra bite!)

Trust me...I know it's difficult, but as a gal that was single for many years, I learned how to cook two servings of something (because I wanted the one leftover). It is almost difficult for me to make more now that I'm married. I still only cook a few servings of veggies because I don't love leftover veggies - would rather sautee them fresh. I do better making a lasagna or enchiladas, which freeze well.

Anyway, to my original point...start making less. When you buy chicken, freeze in individual or 2 serving sizes. Make things that freeze well, buy less for the week, and buy lots of pyrex/ziploc containers. I am a chonic "stocker upper" but really want to stop that habit, so I'm working on these same things - even making menus at the beginning of the week. I always have to buy tons of cheese and crackers - that's my favorite! One thing at a time!

Last edited by DD80; 08-13-2012 at 05:18 PM..
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote