Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 01:23 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaSimpson
Stats: 174 goal 140 5'10
WOE: juicing and juddd
Start Date: 01/24/2013
Top Nine Exercise Mistakes

Hi everyone!
Just came across this informations from the Vegetarian Health Institute, and thought I could share it.

Top Nine Exercise Mistakes Made By People Who Want To Burn Fat

By admin on Jun 12, 2012 in Thriving On a Vegetarian Diet

By Trevor Justice and Maria Stevens, Certified Personal Trainer

Mistake #1: Eating too few calories. - this one is the best, it shows us again, then we need to eat up to our UD calories!

It’s safe to eat 500 calories less than you need to maintain your weight. However, if you eat any less, your body will think its starving.

Then you’ll become leptin-resistant, you’ll lose muscle tissue, and your metabolism will slow down. Chances are, you’ll wind up gaining back the weight you lost.

So if you want to create a deficit of 500+ calories per day, burn the additional calories through exercise, rather than starving yourself.

To learn more about leptin, click here to download our free book, "The Secret To Being Fit Forever":

Supercharge Your Health

Mistake #2: Measuring your progress by weight, not by inches. so true, I know many of you long time juddders, telling us newbies to messure!

When you exercise, you displace fat with lean muscle. So losing 10 pounds could mean that you’ve actually lost 16-17 pounds of fat, but gained 6-7 pounds of lean muscle.

Since muscle is denser (i.e. it takes up less space per pound), you’re likely to lose inches and pant sizes faster than pounds.

And here’s a bonus. Muscle tissue burns more calories per day than fat tissue. So increasing your muscle mass also raises your metabolism. That means you burn more calories while at rest!

Mistake #3: Doing the same exercise routine over and over.

When you flex the same muscles the same way every time you workout, your body recognizes it as a “routine”. It becomes more efficient and hits a plateau. So you see diminished returns.

By contrast, when you challenge your body with different exercises each week, you burn more calories and get more overall benefit. You can also get this benefit by changing the order of exercises.

When your body never knows what type of activity you’re doing next, it can’t get efficient.

That’s why – in “Fit Forever In 30 Minutes” – Maria shows you a new exercise circuit each week. After the first four weeks, you can rotate through those four circuits.

Mistake #4: Trying to stick with a boring routine.

When exercise is boring, you’re more likely to quit. This is another reason to change your routine each week, or mix up the order of exercises. It’s also the reason Maria gives you a new routine each week.

Mistake #5: Not working your legs enough

The best way to burn calories is to exercise your biggest muscle group: your legs and gluteal (butt) muscles. For example, lunges, squats, and jumping jacks.

So if your workout mostly consists of moving your arms, you’re not getting the maximum benefit. This is why Maria’s workouts include lots of leg movement.

Mistake #6: Overreliance on a gym

Some people have the discipline to visit the gym 3 times per week, regardless of circumstances. But what happens when there’s a thunderstorm or ice on the roads?

What happens when you’re traveling? What happens when you’re sick and contagious? Or for whatever reason you don’t feel like going out?

Exercising with minimal equipment gives you the greatest flexibility. That’s why Maria shows you how to get a full body workout with just a set of dumbbells. If you have a jump rope or stability ball, that’s even better… but they’re not required.

Mistake #7: Resting for too long between exercises

Breathing hard indicates that your heart rate is high. The faster your heart rate, the more calories you burn, and the higher your afterburn. What’s afterburn?

It’s the increase in calories you burn while at rest after your workout. The afterburn can last from 3 to 14 hours. That’s why physically active people stay leaner. Their metabolism runs higher after physical activity.

To increase your metabolism after exercise, do more demanding exercises, and take shorter rests between exercises.

Maria’s routines create a huge afterburn for a small investment of time. The Week 3 routine, in particular, consists of interval training where you go directly from one exercise to the next, with no rest in between until you’ve completed the set.

Mistake #8: Doing exercises with poor form.

There are two downsides to poor form. First, the muscles you’re trying to work don’t get the full benefit. Second, you could be injuring yourself. What’s an example of poor form?

Many people fail to keep their backs straight when doing pushups.

This is why Maria shows you how to do pushups with your weight on your knees instead of your feet. She also gives you safety tips like these:

V-lunges: “If this hurts your knees, don’t go down as far.”
Leg Lifts: “If this is too hard, bend your knees.
Sumo dead lift high pulls: “If your back starts to round, then only go halfway down

Mistake #9: Waiting for your designated “exercise time”

Instead of waiting for your workout, seize opportunities to burn calories during your everyday routine. Here are some examples:

• Carry heavy groceries a few blocks.
• When unloading your car, carry two bags at a time instead of one.
• Chase your dog.
• Help friends move furniture.
• Park on the far side of parking lots, so you have to walk further.
• Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
• Walk or bicycle instead of driving.

Maria recently answered questions from our students. To download the complete 45 minute interview, click here now:
The Vegetarian Health Institute - Lesson 50: Exercise Secrets For Burning Fat & Strengthening Bones

Last edited by RebeccaSimpson; 08-09-2012 at 01:27 AM..
RebeccaSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2012, 03:52 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Working on #7.

To increase your metabolism after exercise, do more demanding exercises, and take shorter rests between exercises.

Trying to incorporate Tabata once per day and will see if I can keep it up. I am loving the feeling that I get with it. It is only 4 minutes but it feels like a lot more.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Thanks for the info! I it! I think too many people make excuses as to why they can't work out and this shows that you can do it anywhere at anytime, for even a short amount of time. It is a great benefit to everyone!
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
loved this thread.. missed it the first time But i to am working on making what i do count.. Feels great when i am done, but not so much the next day
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leisha
Stats: 210/195/155
WOE: Weight Watchers 360
Start Date: May 2014 this round!
Really good post. I needed that reminder/pep talk. Thank you!
leisha is offline   Reply With Quote