Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Benefits of Alternate Day Fasting/CRON (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/780230-benefits-alternate-day-fasting-cron.html)

sunday 08-07-2012 02:35 PM

Benefits of Alternate Day Fasting/CRON

One of the first things that attracted me to JUDDD was the fact that it had so many health benefits besides weight loss/maintenance. I love that it is helping me achieve weight loss and ultimately will get me to my goal weight, but in the end when I arrive at maintenance, I plan to continue JUDDDing based on the NSV's (non scale victories) and the longevity factor. I mean, why chase after the fountain of youth when you can attain it by fasting/semi-fasting every other day? :dunno:

Anyway, I have bookmarked all of my research on fasting and wanted to share my favorites. I hope that others will do the same! This will help motivate all of the JUDDD budds that are just beginning to see that yes, there is a whole lot more to JUDDD!!! :love: Much more than arriving at a goal and maintaining!

Health Benefits of Fasting

In Dr. Johnson's book he speaks of the research he did with Dr. John S. Laub at the Louisiana State University Medical Center over the period of a few years.

In his research, the health benefits of ADF have been observed in as little as two weeks, in insulin resistance, asthma, seasonal allergies, infectious diseases of viral, bacterial and fungal origin (viral URI, recurrent bacterial tonsillitis, chronic sinusitis, periodontal disease), autoimmune disorder (rheumatoid arthritis), osteoarthritis, symptoms due to CNS inflammatory lesions (Tourette's, Meniere's) cardiac arrhythmias (PVCs, atrial fibrillation), menopause related hot flashes. The researchers hypothesize that other conditions would be delayed, prevented or improved, including Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, multiple sclerosis, brain injury due to thrombotic stroke atherosclerosis, NIDDM, congestive heart failure.

The effect on health of alternate day calorie... [Med Hypotheses. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI

Amazing the results of ADF on asthma! :up:

Alternate day calorie restriction improv... [Free Radic Biol Med. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI

Alternate-day fasting and chronic disease prevention: a review of human and animal trials

Live Longer With Fewer Calories? Key Enzyme Involved in Aging Process Found
Live longer with fewer calories? Key enzyme involved in aging process found

Sirt-1's Role in Longevity
Longevity protein may slow many neurodegenerative disorders

The Sirt1 Gene Promotes Insulin Secretion in Accord with Diet

How does Sirt-1 Protect?

SIRT1 Genetic Variation Is Related to BMI and Risk of Obesity

Intermittent fasting reduces cancer risk?
03.14.2005 - Fasting every other day, while cutting few calories, may reduce cancer risk

Whitlin' 08-07-2012 04:31 PM

Thank you, sunday! Brilliant thread.

Here is a compilation of 5 relatively new studies in one link.

In this new (June 19, 2012) article, Kathleen Lea Summers, M.D., Ph.D. ("The Yoga Doctor") briefly explains the 5 recent (2010 to present) studies that have impressed her most regarding health effects from intermittent fasting. She either cites the reseachers' work or gives further links after her brief synopsis of each. They are:

1) lowering risk of heart disease
2) protecting brain and spinal cord
3) slowing aging and warding off dementia
4) non-interference with athletic performance
5) ease of weight loss

Fasting for Health: An Update

sunday 08-07-2012 06:52 PM

Thank you Whitlin! I love reading this! If YamYam can find her old thread, I am sure she will add on to this. :)

I have had one of my grad students that I work with ask, if it is just the weight loss that is the real reason for longevity, diabetes relief, asthma benefit, and not the fact that Sirt-1 is flowing? I think these studies are proof that there is much more than meets the eye when you talk about the "skinny gene". I believe weight loss is a major plus, but I also believe that we are saving our bodies from the stress that eating every day causes. In studying the Leptin Reset, the researchers believe that eating in between meals (snacking) could be an issue with not allowing the liver proper time to rest. So it makes sense that fasting for a period intermittently would allow the body a resting period.
:agree:

Joyjoy 08-07-2012 06:53 PM

These are great. Thanks. :):heart:

sterlinggirl 08-08-2012 08:20 AM

:goodpost: I love that they are all in one place.. marking my spot for future:heart:

sunday 08-08-2012 08:43 AM

I love that our brain is functioning optimally with IF! :heart:

Joyjoy 08-08-2012 08:48 AM

:goodpost: thanks!

sungoddess 08-08-2012 09:01 AM

I completely agree with you Sunday. I actually started doing this to heal myself physically and to try to repair the tired 'ol broken metabolism. I had a bunch of links that I think I posted elsewhere, but I can't find them now. Anyway, I will be sure to mark THIS thread so I have it close at hand.

sungoddess 08-08-2012 09:03 AM

Question for those who are doing lots of research on this--- When these articles talk about fasting, are they talking about not eating at all, or are they defining fasting at a level below a certain number of calories?

sunday 08-08-2012 09:06 AM

Todd Becker is a staff scientist for a biotech company in Palo Alto, where he leads project teams and holds more than 20 patents. He is an IF'er who has done a lot of personal research on Intermittent Fasting and his blog has a wealth of info! :up:

Todd’s philosophy of Hormetism is the result of years of personal investigation into the role of moderate stress in adaptation, as applied to health, nutrition, rehabilitation and psychology.

Okay, this guy is fascinating! I never studied how hormetics relates to ADF and anti-aging, but this is great to learn! If you scroll down, you can see his youtube lectures and will help validate the amazing benefits of JUDDD! :up: :cool:

Intermittent fasting for health and longevity*/* Getting Stronger

sunday 08-08-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sungoddess (Post 15858216)
Question for those who are doing lots of research on this--- When these articles talk about fasting, are they talking about not eating at all, or are they defining fasting at a level below a certain number of calories?

Beverly, in one of the first links that I posted, it speaks of "health benefits" with as little as 60–85% of daily energy needs. So, if you have bmr of 1600, then 960 would be sufficient. ;)

Alternate-day fasting and chronic disease prevention: a review of human and animal trials

Okay, can you tell this is my LOVE! :love: :heart:

Sunshinegirl44 08-08-2012 09:21 AM

:goodpost: I am going to go back and look at all of these sites, but I just had to say there is so much information out there about how good fasting is for you. There is a book called "Why Weight Around" by Dr. Alwin Lewis that has a lot of good information on how we don't need as much food as we are told we do. It is called the Five Bite diet, now I was not able to stick to it, but there is good information in his book. When I am at my last 10 or 15lbs I may give it another try, but the book has good information. I am going to go check out all the links now thanks :shake:

sungoddess 08-08-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunday (Post 15858224)
Todd Becker is a staff scientist for a biotech company in Palo Alto, where he leads project teams and holds more than 20 patents. He is an IF'er who has done a lot of personal research on Intermittent Fasting and his blog has a wealth of info! :up:

Todd’s philosophy of Hormetism is the result of years of personal investigation into the role of moderate stress in adaptation, as applied to health, nutrition, rehabilitation and psychology.

Okay, this guy is fascinating! I never studied how hormetics relates to ADF and anti-aging, but this is great to learn! If you scroll down, you can see his youtube lectures and will help validate the amazing benefits of JUDDD! :up: :cool:

Intermittent fasting for health and longevity*/* Getting Stronger

Okay, this was fascinating!!! I am going to listen to it all again. This is very motivating to me. Thanks for posting this.

LayMiz 08-08-2012 11:42 AM

Marking my place. Thanks everyone!

millergirl1976 08-08-2012 11:57 AM

This is amazing stuff!! Thanks so much for putting it in one place.

sunday 08-09-2012 07:03 AM

I worry about posting too much info on ADF, :o I mean it does become overwhelming, however, I must share the latest youtube, because it is simply PHENOMENAL!!! :jumpjoy: Oh my, I am going to finish listening to this at the office today! :love:

This one link should truly be a stickie, because it is EVERYTHING you would ever want to know about IF!!! It has so much new info about the health benefits of ADF as it relates to our brain! For all of you who suffer with either depression, ADD, anxiety or mood disorders, this psychiatrist, Dr. Michael Lara, has researched IF and discovered amazing benefits for the brain and mental health! Also, as IF pertains to weight loss, you will love :heart: that he includes before and after photos of his wife who once was 200 lbs and has lost all of her weight and maintaining perfectly with IF. ;)

Dr. Lara is a graduate of Harvard, Stanford, and The UCLA School of Medicine, and currently maintains a full-time, private practice in psychopharmacology in Belmont, California. In his research, he has found that IF not only reduces blood pressure, blood lipids, and inflammation, but it increases fat burning, growth hormone, and metabolic rate!
All of this... while IF improves appetite suppression, blood sugar and neurogenesis. :jumpjoy:

Enjoy! :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZZW...o&feature=plcp

sunday 08-09-2012 07:09 AM

If you would like to view the photos of his wife and her success without viewing the youtube, go to this link...

intermittent fasting, paleo diet, weight loss, cross fit

:)

Joyjoy 08-09-2012 08:21 AM

Sunday, this was fantastic! Thanks.
I'm still curious about whether I'm doing IF if my JUDDDing involves spreading my calories throughout the day. Does that become just a calorie deficit model? Do we have to condense the eating window to make it IF?
I know that in theory, our DD calories constitute fasting, but I don't hear the juddd model used as an example in these articles or youtube clips.
Have I missed something??:)

sungoddess 08-09-2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunday (Post 15860334)
If you would like to view the photos of his wife and her success without viewing the youtube, go to this link...

intermittent fasting, paleo diet, weight loss, cross fit

Keep 'em coming!!! This is very exciting and motivating to me.

Good question Kristin.

sunday 08-09-2012 10:17 AM

Kristin,

No, you can spread this out during the day!!! The great thing is if you go read post #11's link in this thread, you receive the Sirt-1 as long as you restrict every other day and it can be as high as 50% restriction. :)

I still have to finish the video that I just linked, but I believe that some have found a 6-7 hour window each day as best, which would mean a complete fast of 18 hours? I think somewhere YamYam and Nancy have a thread discussing this more but as long as you restrict calories alternate days, you can spread it out in the manner that is best for you. ;)

sunday 08-09-2012 10:34 AM

Kristin & Bev,

I think we should pose that very question to all of our successful weight loss JUDDDers! :) Just went back to Dr. Lara's video and he does believe that a pre-determined time period is important with IF, same as LeanGains and Fast5. :confused:

As for me, I have never been strict with a window, but try to stay within 7 hours of eating. So, typically finish down day by 6 and no breakfast on UD. First meal on UD would be after 12:00 noon. I tend to lose in spurts also. I wonder if my losses would be much better if I only ate during my window?

I am going to start paying closer attention to this and see if it makes a difference on losses.

sunday 08-09-2012 11:04 AM

Basically, we are all doing CR, IF & JUDDD simultaneously. For instance, 1736/347 total 2083 cals which when divided equal 1041 per day. So, yes we are at a deficit of 3500 calories or more per week.

Hope this makes sense??? :p

Joyjoy 08-09-2012 11:06 AM

Sunday, I really wonder about this, too. :dunno:
They all seem to talk about specific periods of fasting, not just periods of caloric restriction.
We juddders assume that our DDs amount to a fast, but that's the bit I don't see mentioned in any of these links. I don't see anyone saying, 500 cals over a day equals a fast. (I see lots of benefits, but not This Equals A Fast)
I ask, in part, because on another IF board, the assumption (and their evidence supported them) was that anything under 100 cals for the day didn't interrupt a fast, or the benefits from a fast. Over 100 was diminishing the benefits. :confused:

Now. I know JUDDD works. I'm living it. :jumpjoy:

But I'm still wondering whether some of us are just cyclically restricting cals, and experiencing all the benefits that go with that, and whether others are doing that PLUS narrowing eating windows, thereby adding whatever additional benefits come with IF.
And excuse me for being pedantic, but even if 500 cals constitutes a fast, so that I'm "fasting" on DDs, what if my UD cals are spread over the full day? Could I benefit more by narrowing the window there?
And if 500 cals do not constitute a fast, would I benefit from narrowing the window on DDs as well?

And just to get it all off my chest, do we know whether doing IF every day is better for us than doing "intermittent fasting" intermittently?

(And holy moly, this doesn't take into account the other variables which might skew all of this. I think of Tina's adrenal situation and its effect on her morning fasting.)

Most days, frankly, I don't care about this stuff as long as it's working. But jeez, wouldn't it be great to know how to maximize our results if we cared to?

Just my two cents, which are probably not worth more than a cent and a half. :)

Happy day, all.

sunday 08-09-2012 11:08 AM

Haha! We both posted simultaneously! :lol:

I do want to research this more and would love to pose this question to all JUDDDers. Especially since, we know that JUDDD works, how much difference does it make if it is in a window? :confused:

sungoddess 08-09-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunday (Post 15860892)
Kristin & Bev,

I think we should pose that very question to all of our successful weight loss JUDDDers! :) Just went back to Dr. Lara's video and he does believe that a pre-determined time period is important with IF, same as LeanGains and Fast5. :confused:

As for me, I have never been strict with a window, but try to stay within 7 hours of eating. So, typically finish down day by 6 and no breakfast on UD. First meal on UD would be after 12:00 noon. I tend to lose in spurts also. I wonder if my losses would be much better if I only ate during my window?

I am going to start paying closer attention to this and see if it makes a difference on losses.

I may try out this window thing. It is extremely interesting. I am also quite interested in his thoughts on supplements like the coconut oil and branched chain aminos. Plus his thoughts on exercise. I am going to listen to it again and take some notes. His wife looks fantastic!

cactusrose63 08-09-2012 01:27 PM

WOW, Sunday, thanks so much for this thread! Bookmarking for thorough reading after vacation. What I thought would be so beneficial to have as info, you actually did for all of us. What a nice gift. Thank you so much!!

leonak 08-09-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joyjoy (Post 15860972)
Sunday, I really wonder about this, too. :dunno:
They all seem to talk about specific periods of fasting, not just periods of caloric restriction.
We juddders assume that our DDs amount to a fast, but that's the bit I don't see mentioned in any of these links. I don't see anyone saying, 500 cals over a day equals a fast. (I see lots of benefits, but not This Equals A Fast)
I ask, in part, because on another IF board, the assumption (and their evidence supported them) was that anything under 100 cals for the day didn't interrupt a fast, or the benefits from a fast. Over 100 was diminishing the benefits. :confused:

Now. I know JUDDD works. I'm living it. :jumpjoy:

But I'm still wondering whether some of us are just cyclically restricting cals, and experiencing all the benefits that go with that, and whether others are doing that PLUS narrowing eating windows, thereby adding whatever additional benefits come with IF.
And excuse me for being pedantic, but even if 500 cals constitutes a fast, so that I'm "fasting" on DDs, what if my UD cals are spread over the full day? Could I benefit more by narrowing the window there?
And if 500 cals do not constitute a fast, would I benefit from narrowing the window on DDs as well?

And just to get it all off my chest, do we know whether doing IF every day is better for us than doing "intermittent fasting" intermittently?

(And holy moly, this doesn't take into account the other variables which might skew all of this. I think of Tina's adrenal situation and its effect on her morning fasting.)

Most days, frankly, I don't care about this stuff as long as it's working. But jeez, wouldn't it be great to know how to maximize our results if we cared to

Just my two cents, which are probably not worth more than a cent and a half. :)

Happy day, all.

:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

Now to get all the answers :heart: I too bookmarked this thread :shake:

Leona

Mssarge 08-09-2012 03:00 PM

Bookmarking as well..one book I read (can't remember the title/author and will go back and post it) suggested the 16 to 18 hour window got much the same results as a full fast day...of course, she was also encouraging a minimum three-day fast for optimum results...I've been holding off on my breakfast on DD's to get the 16 hours, haven't made it to the 18 hours, yet....

sungoddess 08-09-2012 03:10 PM

I am going to try adding some of the tips to my plan. I already take psyllium, but will now take 5 grams 2x per day. I do take the omega 3's and I will take 15 grams of coconut oil 2x per day at the beginning and ending of my down day. I ordered the Modern BCAA through Netrition and will take 10 grams 2x/day.

I am going to try a leisurely walk at the beginning of the fast to decrease cortisol.

I want to see if this changes anything.

sunday 08-09-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sungoddess (Post 15861507)
I am going to try adding some of the tips to my plan. I already take psyllium, but will now take 5 grams 2x per day. I do take the omega 3's and I will take 15 grams of coconut oil 2x per day at the beginning and ending of my down day. I ordered the Modern BCAA through Netrition and will take 10 grams 2x/day.

I am going to try a leisurely walk at the beginning of the fast to decrease cortisol.

I want to see if this changes anything.

I believe this is what I will do as well. I mean why not? Thanks Bev. :)
I was only taking psyllium sporadically and I take Omega 3 daily. I take the evco daily as well. I am not sure about the BCAA, but will head to my health food store and grab it.