Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #151
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Dakini
Sunday, it might have be me that lead you to Dr. Lustig, for a while I was listening to any and all podcasts of his I could find. I don't remember which one, but one of them theorized the reasons USDA does not take a stronger stance against sugars were, one, that the problems with sugar develops over time, and second, that prepared food is the 3rd leading export of the US, they're hesitant to 'cripple' the industry.

I really monitor the sugar I eat now, it's made a big difference in how I feel.

Sara, thanks, I'll look for his book, too.

Last edited by Dakini; 11-26-2012 at 01:51 PM..
Dakini is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #152
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I ate sugar as a child, but I also played outside till dark every day, and had chores I had to do, including yard and garden work. I never had a weight problem until my middle/late 30's. I think you can put TV and Video Games as one of the leading culprits in childhood obesity, along with sugar.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #153
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Yes, a sedentary lifestyle at an early age couldn't be helping either. I recall having recess twice every day from K-6 grade. We couldn't wait to go bike riding after school either. I remember my mom let us have sugar quite a bit as children, mostly in my cereal, malt-o-meal, and pop-tarts. I was not overweight but did notice that I put on 10 lbs in one year when I reached age 13 and started drinking soft drinks daily.

Also, it probably doesn't help that we are starting babies/toddlers out on food that has hidden sugars.
High sugar content in packaged toddler and baby food products

"Assessing sugar levels in baby and toddler foods is challenging because there is currently no universally accepted standard," explained Elliott. "While the American Heart Association (AHA) recommends that adults should limit their consumption of added sugars to six teaspoons a day for women and nine teaspoons a day for men, these recommendations do not extend to children or toddlers. In fact, the AHA has not published specific 'added sugar' recommendations for children or toddlers -- even though high sugar foods are deliberately created for them. Health Canada, similarly, offers no direct recommendations -- or cautions -- regarding sugar intake or upper limits on the intake of added sugar for very young children, or for toddlers, per se."

A tablespoon of sugar, for example, contains between 50 and 60 calories but very little else from the standpoint of nutritional content. A 12-ounce nondiet soft drink will have 3 tablespoons of sugar totaling between 150 and 180 calories with no other nutrients.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 11-26-2012 at 09:03 PM..
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #154
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
There is also a theory that by not having any protein on alternet days the body can
clean up any damaged proteins it has. But it would take a long time to tell if this is realy
happening. Well here is a link to the article for those who want to look at it.

Slowing Down Aging with Intermittent Protein Restriction
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #155
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you for this link E.W.! Very interesting.

I think eating mimimal protein on every DD is a great chance to try this method and see what the results would be? Maybe just one salad w/ less than 20 g of protein or 1 baked potato would work.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #156
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am fascinated with the potato hack and now "the Perfect Health Diet".

So, I thought I would post the plan here, so in case anyone wants to try this along with JUDDD. Oh yes, and Jaminet is on board with IF as well as paleo.
And if you suffer with Crohn's, the results as far as benefits of this plan seem to be amazing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Food-Plate.jpg (44.4 KB, 54 views)
Old 12-07-2012, 02:34 AM   #157
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
Here is a little study that points out that during the first 2 days of a fast our metabolism is realy faster than when we are eating. The graph is down on page 2. And I believe the
same would probaly be true on our DD's as on these true fast.

Effect of starvation and very low calorie diets on protein-energy interrelationships in lean and obese subjects
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #158
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
"If starvation had continued until death, the weight loss could have been substantially more."

Do you think they regretted stopping early?!
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #159
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks EW! This study is the verification that the Leangains and Paleo IF'ers are using to promote the 36 hour fast being rather beneficial. The BBC documentary also mentioned this longer fasting period as well.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #160
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Posting Jaminet's recommedations here as a guideline to the ones interested in PH.

In terms of macronutrients, Dr. Jaminet recommends:
•20-30 percent of daily calories: carbs, mainly from "safe starches" such as rice or potatoes, partly from fruits, berries, and vegetables
•15 percent of daily calories: animal protein (or about 200-600 calories a day)
•55-65 percent: healthy fats, especially low-omega-6 fats such as beef tallow, butter, fish oil, coconut oil, palm oil, and olive oil

Fats are ideally combined with acids like lemon juice or vinegar, or fermented vegetables. Dr. Jaminet also recommends making homemade bone broth and soups your staples. Keep in mind that as you decrease your carb consumption, you need to replace them with healthy fats. Replacing carbs with too much protein can actually cause health challenges similar to eating too many grain carbs and sugars. Dr. Jaminet also recommends taking a multi-mineral supplement, as it can be quite difficult for many to get enough minerals through their diet.
1.Your body metabolizes protein by converting it into glucose, which releases toxic ammonia that is further converted into nitrogen. The ammonia can also be converted into urea and uric acid. Unfortunately, your body's ability to make urea, which is the safe way to dispose of excess ammonia, is limited. According to Dr. Jaminet, when you eat more than about 600 calories of protein a day, you'll start to build up ammonia in your body, which has toxic effects.
2.The amino acid glutamine can be digested by gut bacteria, and that can create gut dysbiosis if you eat way too much protein for too long.

"Breast milk is only seven percent protein. That's a pretty good clue," Dr. Jaminet says."If you feed young children too much protein, then they'll tend to have health problems later on. They are more likely to become obese or have some other issues. During pregnancy, you don't want too much protein either."
Old 12-08-2012, 06:59 AM   #161
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sirt-1 and Longevity. I thought I had posted this here, but can't seem to locate, so I will add...

Longevity genes
Old 12-08-2012, 07:00 AM   #162
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Also, the chart that explains the areas that are benefited by Sirt-1 gene...

Old 12-08-2012, 08:23 AM   #163
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/low carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
I've never heard of the Perfect Health diet, but it's interesting to me because it looks remarkably like the way I ate naturally when I was in JUDDD wlm (since those in that "safe starches" list are really the only carbs I ever feel like eating). I've now had to decrease the carb level because of BG and other health issues, so my protein % is now higher than the carb %, so the ratio is a bit off now, but basically still the same principle.

NK didn't work for me (at least not in the extreme high fat %), but I do feel I am one who needs to watch protein intake. I'll definitely be looking into this more. Very interested in whether this also works well for others. Thanks for sharing the info, Sunday.

Last edited by vilanteira; 12-08-2012 at 08:25 AM..
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #164
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Sunday et al, I'm just reading PHD's chapter on fasting. They recommend the 16 hour fast with an eight- hour eating window every day, suggesting that longer fasts increase intercellular infections (by decreasing autophagy) during the refeed period. Interesting.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #165
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossyliz View Post
"If starvation had continued until death, the weight loss could have been substantially more."

Do you think they regretted stopping early?!
Probably would have ended up a skeleton.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #166
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Posting Jaminet's recommedations here as a guideline to the ones interested in PH.

In terms of macronutrients, Dr. Jaminet recommends:
•20-30 percent of daily calories: carbs, mainly from "safe starches" such as rice or potatoes, partly from fruits, berries, and vegetables
•15 percent of daily calories: animal protein (or about 200-600 calories a day)
•55-65 percent: healthy fats, especially low-omega-6 fats such as beef tallow, butter, fish oil, coconut oil, palm oil, and olive oil

Fats are ideally combined with acids like lemon juice or vinegar, or fermented vegetables. Dr. Jaminet also recommends making homemade bone broth and soups your staples. Keep in mind that as you decrease your carb consumption, you need to replace them with healthy fats. Replacing carbs with too much protein can actually cause health challenges similar to eating too many grain carbs and sugars. Dr. Jaminet also recommends taking a multi-mineral supplement, as it can be quite difficult for many to get enough minerals through their diet.
1.Your body metabolizes protein by converting it into glucose, which releases toxic ammonia that is further converted into nitrogen. The ammonia can also be converted into urea and uric acid. Unfortunately, your body's ability to make urea, which is the safe way to dispose of excess ammonia, is limited. According to Dr. Jaminet, when you eat more than about 600 calories of protein a day, you'll start to build up ammonia in your body, which has toxic effects.
2.The amino acid glutamine can be digested by gut bacteria, and that can create gut dysbiosis if you eat way too much protein for too long.

"Breast milk is only seven percent protein. That's a pretty good clue," Dr. Jaminet says."If you feed young children too much protein, then they'll tend to have health problems later on. They are more likely to become obese or have some other issues. During pregnancy, you don't want too much protein either."
I admit I didn't read this article thoroughly, but does this mean that L-Glut is NOT good for you?
Old 12-12-2012, 07:19 AM   #167
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Sunday et al, I'm just reading PHD's chapter on fasting. They recommend the 16 hour fast with an eight- hour eating window every day, suggesting that longer fasts increase intercellular infections (by decreasing autophagy) during the refeed period. Interesting.
Yes! Which is one more reason that I can't wait to find out more about his plan. I know that some PH'ers only fast 2 days weekly as well. So will be interesting to know all of his research with fasting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I admit I didn't read this article thoroughly, but does this mean that L-Glut is NOT good for you?
L-Glut is an amino acid that is excellent for you when you are in recovery mode from surgery, illness, or extreme physical exercise. I read that quote to mean that excess protein is not good for you and can cause issues with your gut. This is another reason that I believe I may have been sabotaging my weight loss by consuming too much protein in ratio to fat.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:26 AM   #168
Major LCF Poster!

Sunday, my interpretation was that they would not consider the 36 hour JUDDD "fast" ideal. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:34 AM   #169
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: Plant-Based Vegetarian~9/2014
Start Date: (Juddd 2010-2011)
Joyjoy, I love the quote at the bottom of your page. It is SO true!
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:48 AM   #170
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Blonde, How is HFMP going? I have decided to take a maintenance break and read the PHD while slowly evolving to PHD for a trial basis. I love fat and enjoyed HFMP, but am searching for a way that includes more veggies and safe starches and that my body can feel optimal. I am observing that my regular exercise and fast paced life is not as easy to continue without a bit more carbs/safe starches.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:57 AM   #171
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hmmm, I know that he is a physicist and wife is the biologist, and that they researched the fasting benefits. So, it will be interesting to know why the fasting period couldn't/shouldn't be longer? Also, this confuses me as to why some of his fans are doing the 24 hour fast 2x weekly???

I friended Paul on FB and will inquire!
:
Yay for you!!! Great idea, befriending him.
He does mention the good results with alternate day fasting in passing. But his opinion is that, when fasting goes beyond the sixteen hours, there is a greater chance of intracellular infection rate during the ensuing refeed period. Why? Because after longer fasts, autophagy is turned off for a while.
This makes me curious about the juddders who feel they need breakfast first thing on an UD vs those who don't. it also makes me curious about the ideal length of fasting for each of us. Maybe that's why some do well with Muddding, some with fast 5, etc.
I am LOVING his recommendations overall. They make sense intellectually and feel good in my body. Great combo for me.
I can hardly wait till you hear from him!
Ps he's a bit vague when it comes to dairy. I'd love to hear his specific thoughts, just in case you two get together for coffee.

Last edited by Joyjoy; 12-12-2012 at 07:58 AM..
Old 12-12-2012, 08:00 AM   #172
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sunday, in a nutshell? I LOVE IT. I started a new journal since my old one was all about JUDDD (that I still think is an awesome WOE). I've feel like I've been through the fire and out the other side. I've completely eliminated ALL grains from my diet. I actually did that first, before High fat/Low Carb by eating plain low carb to my heart's content. I am a wheat-aholic. Come visit me for the whole story!

What is PHD? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #173
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Sunday, in a nutshell? I LOVE IT. I started a new journal since my old one was all about JUDDD (that I still think is an awesome WOE). I've feel like I've been through the fire and out the other side. I've completely eliminated ALL grains from my diet. I actually did that first, before High fat/Low Carb by eating plain low carb to my heart's content. I am a wheat-aholic. Come visit me for the whole story!

What is PHD? Inquiring minds want to know.
I was just getting ready to come and find you! This is wonderful to know! The best thing about the HFMP is the fact that you never hunger! Ever! Completely lost my appetite, which JUDDD does help with too. I had to eliminate grains about 4 years ago when I did the Hcg protocol and found out through the elimination, that "grains" were one of my toxins. Every time I try to add either sugar or bread, I wake up the next morning with a ginormous pimple on my face. It is something that I would have never believed prior to doing the protocol, because I have never done Atkins or any LC plan previously.

Last edited by sunday; 12-12-2012 at 08:11 AM..
Old 12-12-2012, 08:12 AM   #174
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I was just getting ready to come and find you! This is wonderful to know! The best thing about the HFMP is the fact that you never hunger! Ever! Completely lost my appetite, which JUDDD does help with too. I had to eliminate grains about 4 years ago when I did the Hcg protocol and found out through the elimination, that "grains" were one of my toxins. Every time I try to add either sugar or bread, I wake up the next morning with a ginormous pimple on my face. It is something that I would have never believed prior to doing the protocol, because I have never done Atkins or any LC plan previously.
Yep, first time in my life I've ever walked away from grain, wheat in particular.

So what is PHD??
Old 12-12-2012, 08:21 AM   #175
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Blonde, It is the "Perfect Health Diet" by Dr. Paul Jaminet and Mark Sisson. You can read a bit on Amazon or several of Mark's blogs on ***. It is paleo basically with high fat, plus safe starches included and lower protein.

Kristin,
I will let you know what he says. I am anxious to read the book so that I will understand his reasoning behind the lower protein as well.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:13 AM   #176
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Yes! Which is one more reason that I can't wait to find out more about his plan. I know that some PH'ers only fast 2 days weekly as well. So will be interesting to know all of his research with fasting.

L-Glut is an amino acid that is excellent for you when you are in recovery mode from surgery, illness, or extreme physical exercise. I read that quote to mean that excess protein is not good for you and can cause issues with your gut. This is another reason that I believe I may have been sabotaging my weight loss by consuming too much protein in ratio to fat.
I also know that it (L-Glut) works to help with sugar and alcohol cravings, and works as an appetite suppressant, so I definitely wouldn't put it in that narrow of a category.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:27 AM   #177
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I also know that it (L-Glut) works to help with sugar and alcohol cravings, and works as an appetite suppressant, so I definitely wouldn't put it in that narrow of a category.
No narrow category here. I have not used it for any of these means, but def believe it could be a great supp for this as well.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:51 AM   #178
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
1) Dang it, Kristin...I thought fasting increased/enhanced autophagy's cellular clean up. Now I have to go do more research.

2) Sunday, and this may be a re-run, I truly suspect Dr J found something amazing, did an intense and precise job (based on what was known in 2007) of explaining the what/why/how, set it free in the world in his book ... hit about the same brick wall Dr A hit. Too radical. Too counter-intuitive. Too great a change from main-stream belief. Too - and this may be the biggie - easy. The world did not change. Speaking engagements did not start rolling in. Those who tried JUDDD immediately began losing weight and seeing NSVs... and finding all the exceptions and fine-tuning that we see here over and over.

I think Dr J went back to his day job.

Sigh, I do wish someone would take JUDDD 2007, do the research, and bring out JUDDD 2013. Maybe it could even get into why LC/JUDDD works best for some people, why JUDDD/PHD is better for others, why JUDDD/chocolate does not kill you short-term...why some people prosper by fasting all day, why some people need to eat every hour on the hour. BIG job. Takes time and dedication and being driven.

Dr J is still somewhat involved. Sometimes the 'contact us' link works. But the website has not changed and, especially this year, new info is out there. Heck, he isn't even selling pterostilbene.

I think Dr J went back to his day job.

And I think I understand why he did.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #179
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Isn't JUDDD compatable w any plan?

Just start a thread; PHD and JUDDD.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #180
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lynne2u
Stats: 245/207/140
WOE: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet/JUDDD/no sugar
From what I'm reading around Paul Jaminet's blog, what the boys are saying is that autophagy goes with protein fasting or going without protein for a period of time.

It's sort of mixed up with the idea of intermittent fasting (on his blog), or abstaining from all food for a period of time; but if you think about autophagy and what's going on there, it makes sense that without dietary protein, your body goes scavenging for what it scraps it can find laying around. What's being "phaged" is protein. Entirely.

So...I wonder if we JUDDDers can use this to carve out a 16 hour window of protein deprivation, and no more, on DD? Sort of having our cake and eating it too.

Lynne

Carbohydrate Addict's Diet. Hopefully.

Reality is still the boss, after all these years.
lynne2u is offline   Reply With Quote