Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lemming
I'm back. And fatter.

I did JUDDD earlier in the spring, trying to lose 8-10 pounds that I added when my thyroid levels went below range again. I was doing well on it, but I knew it would get interesting when I started working out again. I'm a 48-year old hypothyroid peri-menopausal speedskater (no, sadly there's no classification for that in races!). March and part of April are my "off months," to recover from the winter competition season. I did well with JUDDD during those 6 weeks or so that I didn't do much working out, and lost 9 pounds. But then the workouts resumed, and then summer came (I'm a teacher), and JUDDD fell by the wayside and, well, I'm up about 11 pounds. Yeah, 2 more than where I started from.

So I want to re-start JUDDD, but I'm not sure how to do it with my workout schedule. I typically do hard skating workouts Tues/Wed/Thurs, have Mon and Friday off from workouts, and do a "recovery" workout or two on the weekend. My Heart Rate Monitor says I burn about 700-800 calories during the hard workouts, and they are high intensity so I know I need to eat the right foods for muscle recovery after the workout. I ate pretty high calorie levels when I did JUDDD in the spring--1000/2500, and that was with minimal exercise. (I've apparently been blessed, even when hypothyroid, with a pretty good metabolism. Which is good, because I've also been blessed with the ability to eat like a trucker. No offense to any truckers out there).

So...what do I do? I know I won't be able to do a DD on workout days--1000 calories is a struggle for me even when I'm not working out! I don't want to just eat DD on every non-workout day, though, because many of them are two-in-a-row (Fri/Sat or Sun/Mon), and I can't imagine doing 2 DD's in a row, nor do I think (from what I've read about JUDDD) that this would be effective. I'm considering just doing UD"s on workout days, DD's on non-workout days unless there are more than 2 in a row, and then alternating DD/UD even if it means 2 UD"s in a row. It would also mean only 2-3 DD's a week, likely.

Thoughts? Y'all are so knowledgeable and helpful, I'm hoping someone has suggestions. I know 11 pounds isn't a huge amount...but I earned a really cool, high-tech skinsuit with my skating performance last year--and I can't fit into it! (Those things stretch, but there's a limit .) I need to make this work!
Thanks!
Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemming View Post
I did JUDDD earlier in the spring, trying to lose 8-10 pounds that I added when my thyroid levels went below range again. I was doing well on it, but I knew it would get interesting when I started working out again. I'm a 48-year old hypothyroid peri-menopausal speedskater (no, sadly there's no classification for that in races!). March and part of April are my "off months," to recover from the winter competition season. I did well with JUDDD during those 6 weeks or so that I didn't do much working out, and lost 9 pounds. But then the workouts resumed, and then summer came (I'm a teacher), and JUDDD fell by the wayside and, well, I'm up about 11 pounds. Yeah, 2 more than where I started from.

So I want to re-start JUDDD, but I'm not sure how to do it with my workout schedule. I typically do hard skating workouts Tues/Wed/Thurs, have Mon and Friday off from workouts, and do a "recovery" workout or two on the weekend. My Heart Rate Monitor says I burn about 700-800 calories during the hard workouts, and they are high intensity so I know I need to eat the right foods for muscle recovery after the workout. I ate pretty high calorie levels when I did JUDDD in the spring--1000/2500, and that was with minimal exercise. (I've apparently been blessed, even when hypothyroid, with a pretty good metabolism. Which is good, because I've also been blessed with the ability to eat like a trucker. No offense to any truckers out there).

So...what do I do? I know I won't be able to do a DD on workout days--1000 calories is a struggle for me even when I'm not working out! I don't want to just eat DD on every non-workout day, though, because many of them are two-in-a-row (Fri/Sat or Sun/Mon), and I can't imagine doing 2 DD's in a row, nor do I think (from what I've read about JUDDD) that this would be effective. I'm considering just doing UD"s on workout days, DD's on non-workout days unless there are more than 2 in a row, and then alternating DD/UD even if it means 2 UD"s in a row. It would also mean only 2-3 DD's a week, likely.

Thoughts? Y'all are so knowledgeable and helpful, I'm hoping someone has suggestions. I know 11 pounds isn't a huge amount...but I earned a really cool, high-tech skinsuit with my skating performance last year--and I can't fit into it! (Those things stretch, but there's a limit .) I need to make this work!
Thanks!
Well, frankly, you don't fit into the norm of most of us here. Many of us exercise, some, but not to the extreme of intense workouts to condition for power speed competition.

If it were me, I'd do that exact way of eating you outlined above. I'd do it for about three weeks before allowing myself to be convinced one way or the other of whether it will do the entire job for you, for your weight loss, but it well may. But I'd make darned sure I was accurate in my food measurements and my calorie tallies, so I knew for a fact whether it was working or not. I suspect it will just because your exercise is far more than most engage in weekly, and because you say you seem still to be blessed with a pretty good metabolism.

After three weeks, if I wasn't happy enough with my weight loss progress, I'd revisit the issue, and make some hard adjustments where needed, but then you have to face the issue of balancing your desire to eat for weight loss with your desire to train for racing.

I'm rooting for your success at both!
Old 08-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #3

I was just going to add that I don't generally advocate for much disruption to the powerful high and low rhythm of the JUDDD cycle. The design of this plan is a day by day straight Up/Down cycle, so what you will be doing deviates a bit, but it might just work wonderfully for you anyway, and solve problems that need to be dealt with at the same time, and that's also an important consideration. What good is any plan that we can't make work for us very well?
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Whitlin'
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March, 2009
Hi, Lemming!

It's interesting that you post this today, because Stargazer also posted this thread today: Eat, Fast and Live Longer. Horizon Michael Mosley of BBC's Horizon program tried Alternate Day, and ultimately for his own reasons had to cut it back to 2 days per week of DDs and still was very happy on it, had great success with both weight and bloodwork markers. In the 3rd post in Stargazer's thread I put a link to Mosley's written article about it if you can't see the video (I couldn't).

Like Pat, I would rather recommend to you Dr. Johnson's methods. At first I thought you could do the M,W,F schedule I do from his book, but I see now you have a very specialized, limited ability to do DDs. Anyway, check out Mosley's experience, it might help you.

Best wishes! Hope you can post often.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I think that you will at least get the benefits of intermittant fasting with your plan, so why not give it a try? I think that it also helps you lower your overall intake of calories (weekly), so you will lose weight.

I work out a lot (not to your level), but I have found that as time has passed, working out on DDs is just fine. I notice no extra fatigue. But, as I said - I'm not working at your level. I do make sure to allow for an after workout snack on DDs, if I require one. Usually something like a pomegranate cocktail (sparkling water and juice) and a cheese stick or a piece of cheese.

I'm also hypothyroid and medicated. I'm lucky to have a pretty good metabolism considering. I love to eat too!

Good luck!
Old 08-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, you guys! I think I'll do as I mentioned, and be sure to give it the 3 weeks SoHappy suggested. That's a good point...I tend to "pull the plug" too early if I think something isn't working! And I'll check out the link Whitlin' posted. I had my first DD today...so far, so good. Right now I do most of my workouts in the morning, so it will be interesting to see how workouts on the day after a DD go (since I can't eat much before I work out). Tomorrow is a UD, and I have an inline skating race but it's in the evening, so that should work out OK.

Thanks again, and I"ll keep you posted!
Old 08-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks, you guys! I think I'll do as I mentioned, and be sure to give it the 3 weeks SoHappy suggested. That's a good point...I tend to "pull the plug" too early if I think something isn't working! And I'll check out the link Whitlin' posted. I had my first DD today...so far, so good. Right now I do most of my workouts in the morning, so it will be interesting to see how workouts on the day after a DD go (since I can't eat much before I work out). Tomorrow is a UD, and I have an inline skating race but it's in the evening, so that should work out OK.

Thanks again, and I"ll keep you posted!
This brings up a good point.

When you do an early morning workout, sometimes that can work well on the morning of a DD, coming off of a full and nourishing UD, so well fueled up, and then after the early morning workout, you can have the first meal of your DD, like perhaps a 5-eggwhite scramble for 86 calories.

I'll be looking forward to reading how this all goes for you. I expect it will be fine. Good luck.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #8

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
The Horizon program is worth a look. There has been a lot about fasting only 2 days a week in the press over here.

I do agree with Pat, I exercise best on a DD morning because I am so well nourished from my UD.

Good to have you back, I am sure you'll find a way to make this work.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Kissa, I'll check into that!

Day 3, and so far so good! i changed my signature to reflect my actual starting weight, which was higher than I had remembered (oops!), but now after one DD and one UD, I'm down 2 pounds. Yesterday was a UD/workout day the day after a DD. I had to get up really early to do some light skating/drills and was very hungry all morning, so by the time it was noon I had already eaten 3 meals! I had my real workout in the evening, and ended up with the target amount of calories. Today is another UD because I worked out this morning...I'm not sure I could do a DD on a workout day because I get pretty hungry afterwards; I'm already at 800 calories and it's only shortly after noon. Tomorrow will be DD/no workout, though, so hopefully I can keep the downward trend going! It's helping, too, that I think my recently-increased thyroid med levels are kicking in, which means I have more energy, and more mental ability to restrict what I eat on DD's...
Old 08-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Quote:
Kissa, I'll check into that!

Day 3, and so far so good! i changed my signature to reflect my actual starting weight, which was higher than I had remembered (oops!), but now after one DD and one UD, I'm down 2 pounds. Yesterday was a UD/workout day the day after a DD. I had to get up really early to do some light skating/drills and was very hungry all morning, so by the time it was noon I had already eaten 3 meals! I had my real workout in the evening, and ended up with the target amount of calories. Today is another UD because I worked out this morning...I'm not sure I could do a DD on a workout day because I get pretty hungry afterwards; I'm already at 800 calories and it's only shortly after noon. Tomorrow will be DD/no workout, though, so hopefully I can keep the downward trend going! It's helping, too, that I think my recently-increased thyroid med levels are kicking in, which means I have more energy, and more mental ability to restrict what I eat on DD's...
I'm glad you are doing well. I know it took me a good 2 months to get to where I could work out on a DD or UD and really feel no different (that means both during and after the workout). SOmetimes I need a snack after and sometimes I don't - on both days. I think as your body adjusts to the diet (and the medication change), you will notice a difference. I take my thyroid med very early in the morning so I'm usually starving for breakfast, but that has changed a bit lately. First, I was only "starving" on UDs, but now, it's kind of a crap shoot. Frankly, it's kind of nice because I hated feeling like I was starving all the time. I'm hopin' for you!!!
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks! It's good to know that there may be some adjustment time...I'm hoping that it doesn't affect my workouts, though, because I've already had 2 months of bad workouts due to my thyroid levels being low!