Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WillBeSkinnyMom
Stats: 157/138/125
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: LC 6/4/12 JUDDD 7/18/12
JUDDDing & late menses?

Hey guys,

I was just curious if the DD calorie restrictions threw off any your cycles any?

I'm one to two days late so, I was just wondering.

Also, I just wanted to vent a little and get some advice. I ended up taking about a week or so off of JUDDD after a rough DD. I ended up binging at night, and I had NEVER binge ate before. Now I know why people who have trouble with binging say they feel so hopeless. It was a terrible and scary feeling! I was full, but I didn't care; I wanted more, more, more. And that scared me.

I started to think maybe JUDDD isn't good for me, because I don't want to develop a binge habit when I'm pretty good at eating when I'm hungry, stopping before I'm full etc. I thought I would just try to eat intuitively and see if I could lose a little weight that way. I haven't been counting calories lately and I've just maintained (to the oz for days and days) I think Juddd is a good way to practice calorie restriction with out feeling deprived, and I like the structure, but man, I just never want to binge like that again. I was so depressed I just wanted to go to sleep.

What do you think? I want to try JUDDD again, but maybe I should just give my self permission to do 700 cal DD so I'll be less likely to binge, right? IDK, you are all so helpful though, please help! I'm hoping that day was manybe just a bad, bad fluke

Oh, and I'll try to remember to update when/if my *friend* comes. I guess that would change how many DD cals I would be consuming, huh?
WillBeSkinnyMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
WillBeSkinnyMom,

I think we all have had a rough DD as you had! Well, I have had a few! As you said, it is rough!!! ... and it can make you wonder if JUDDD is the right plan???

I think the one thing that I love about JUDDD is the forgiving way it corrects. It has taught me a lot in this area. I have had emotional DD where I just flat went berserk, but I pick myself up, dust myself off, and head right back to what I know works. Wishing you a much better day today!

Oh, and about TOM yes, by all means, make it a high DD!!! Whatever it takes to get you through.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
I want to try JUDDD again, but maybe I should just give my self permission to do 700 cal DD so I'll be less likely to binge, right?
Oh, absolutely!!! Try higher DDs if it helps keep you in control!

I've never binged either but it does sound scary. I'm sorry you went through that. I hope it doesn't happen again.

JUDDD has messed with my cycle...it seems to have made them a couple days shorter, in my case, but I'm sure it could have other effects.
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Very old woman here, so no help sorry.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wiiiifit
Stats: 20/12/8
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: Feb 2012
Well, I am pretty irregular due to PCOS...but JUDD and weight loss in general always seems to help my cycles. I tend to have cycles that are long, heavy and too far apart. But, as I lose they get shorter, less intense, and closer together. Not sure that it is necessarily JUDD because it happens in trad LC and any other plan I've tried when I actually lost more than 20lbs.
wiiiifit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
I think my basal temp has dropped in general about half degree with JUDDD, and yes, I'm starting to think it's messed with my cycles a bit. But I'm also 47, and likely on the verge of meno, so it could all just be coincidence and would have happened anyway.

Sorry about the binge. Def try a bit higher on the dd's and see if that helps.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I don't remember anyone reporting disrupted menses in the eight months I've been JUDDDing.

But, most emphatically, I can assure you lots of females experience an over-whelming hunger on DD right around TOM. Even females like me who are years past menopause.

Over the months, I have kept an eye on the calendar and always planned extra food for that magic DD. Also, the hunger has become less and less intense over time (for me). The first time TOM hunger hit, I assure you I did not have a successful DD! I think the fridge was empty by sunset.

Maybe that is what happened to you.

But, beyond that, I think it is a very good idea to plan more calories than you hope to eat. That way, if you need to you can increase your eating without, hopefully, losing control.

I encourage you to pay attention to how you react to different foods. My rule of thumb is, if I find myself hungry or thinking about food anytime during several hours after I eat, then I have found a trigger food that I need avoid for a few weeks...then test again very carefully.

Only YOU can decide whether JUDDD is right for you. DD/UD are not for everyone. But don't let one - probably hormonal - loss of control scare you too badly. Look for patterns, learn about yourself, and - whatever you decide - I believe you will find the right path!
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Def have issues with hormonal hunger too. Living it right now. It's usually only 1-2 dd's a month, so I just allow myself some extra calories, plan for it, and go on. I bounce a little higher on those days, but am right back at maintenance within 1 dd when TOM leaves. So it's not that big of a deal.

I've never mentioned my suspicions that JUDDD may be messing with my cycle, but I have wondered. I track symptoms and temperature for natural family planning, so I'm pretty in tune with what's going on reproductively, and things did change with the introduction of JUDDD. But like I said, I'm also getting to "that age". And I'm not planning to stop JUDDD to find out if it goes back to the way it was, so I'll just live with it the way it is. Although the lower temps do give me a bit of concern regarding my thyroid.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post

Only YOU can decide whether JUDDD is right for you. DD/UD are not for everyone. But don't let one - probably hormonal - loss of control scare you too badly. Look for patterns, learn about yourself, and - whatever you decide - I believe you will find the right path!
Thanks, you are probably right . Now that I look back that DD was probably close to ovulation.

mykidsteacher
We do NFP (kind of) too. Right now we are just using cycle beads though, and we cheated on cycle day 8 thinking we would be safe. Guess we will see about that

It's good that you practice NFP, it keeps you so in tune with your body (like how you mentioned your lower temps)

Anyways, I'll keep y'all updated on whether she comes.

I haven't counted calories at all today, but all I've had is 2 cups of coffee with creamer, a kolache, a handful of grapes, and palm full of grilled chicken, and a 140 calorie granola bar. Dinner will be big, so I'm thinking I can safely count this as an up day and have a DD tomorrow, right?
Old 08-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBeSkinnyMom View Post
Anyways, I'll keep y'all updated on whether she comes.

I haven't counted calories at all today, but all I've had is 2 cups of coffee with creamer, a kolache, a handful of grapes, and palm full of grilled chicken, and a 140 calorie granola bar. Dinner will be big, so I'm thinking I can safely count this as an up day and have a DD tomorrow, right?
1) I wondered about that. Do keep us informed!

2) After an unplanned UUAD (up up and away day) YOU get to make the call on whether you change rotation or stick with what you planned. In the long run, unless you do find yourself having too many UUADs, it will not matter.

Tina, that is interesting. I wonder whether there is any research on how IF/low cal impacts the cycle.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 08-06-2012 at 04:40 PM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

The verdict is in!

.......does JUDDD affect your period? Well, in this case I'll never know, because it turns out I'm pregnant

Oh boy. We wanted to wait another year or so, but I hope it all works out okay...
I really wanted to lose ten more pounds before I got pregnant again as well
I'm trying to not freak out too much about weight, but it's hard.

I do well with structure in my life, so I might try doing JUDDD still, but with 1000-1200 calorie DD (basically no sweets) and my UD's I will up the calories a bit.
Not sure though, we'll see. I might do just as well with the "everything in moderation" mindset. The only reason I need to lose this weight I have in the first place is because I was purposefully ignoring my intuition when it came to eating--if I had a heavy breakfeast, then I wouldn't have a lighter lunch, you know what I mean?
I'm hoping that I can gain modestly w/ this pregnancy by being smart.
Heck, I wasn't "smart" w/ my first and I still only gained 30 lbs. Not too bad....

Random question that is not JUDDD related
I'm looking to get a certified midwife. Do most people just go to their nearest birth center or hospital they want to deliver at and then get a list or something from those places? Or do you find a doctor first and then just go where they are able to deliver I just don't know the first step to take.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #12

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!

It'll all work out. I have no idea about midwife selection.

Another vote against natural birth control for me! We thought we couldn't conceive, but still kept to the rhythm method as much as possible, so Keira's our miracle baby! I wouldn't trade her for the world.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:14 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post

Another vote against natural birth control for me! We thought we couldn't conceive, but still kept to the rhythm method as much as possible, so Keira's our miracle baby! I wouldn't trade her for the world.
hehe
Old 08-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Congratulations!!!! It will all work out. It's ok to feel conflicted and worried about the logistics. When you hold that sweet little baby, it will all melt away and you will just do what needs doing to make it work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post

Now Dawn, she admitted she cheated on a day they shouldn't have. You can't blame the method if the method isn't followed. LOL

NFP has worked for us for 20 years. Yes I have 4 kids, 3 of whom were planned, and one we were sort of thinking about maybe trying for when we "cheated" as well.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #15

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
And to be fair, we threw all caution to the wind on our anniversary after a few too many drinks, so we "cheated" too, though we were pretty much convinced we'd need help conceiving. Imagine our surprise! I always tease Keira because we found out we were pregnant on Cinqo de Mayo, and had to cancel our Mexican cruise we had scheduled for that September. I call her my gift from Mexico, though perhaps she was more my gift from tequila!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
I *almost* asked if you might be pregnant!!! Congratulations!!!

Quote:
I'm looking to get a certified midwife. Do most people just go to their nearest birth center or hospital they want to deliver at and then get a list or something from those places?
Or do you find a doctor first and then just go where they are able to deliver.
Everything varies from country to country, and state to state if you're in the US.
Since I don't know where you are, I'm not sure any suggestions would be useful.
You could do all the things you mentioned.
But what's more important to you--
the place, the doctor, or the midwife?

The midwives I know stick with their clients and will go to a birth/false alarm (lol) at any time of day or night. They give great pre- and post-natal care. Also, if you happen to go into labor unexpectedly and have to head to the nearest hospital--not the place you planned on--your midwife might be able to meet you there, whereas a doctor might not.

If you choose a specific doctor, will they deliver your baby no matter what, or only if they happen to be on call when you go into labor?

At some birth centers, the midwives do everything and a doctor is called ONLY if there is a complication or emergency.
So if you go to a doctor for your prenatal care, s/he might not be there at the birth.

So you could visit a few birth centers/hospitals and see where you feel most comfortable.

Or you could find an independent midwife, and they may be able to use different locations.

Another option is, if you have health insurance, call or check their website for a list and/or which step they recommend taking first.

Good luck...I probably didn't clear anything up at all, did I? lol
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 08-07-2012 at 01:36 PM..
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Congratulations! willbeskinnymom! Very happy for you!

Dawn! Funny how tequila has been responsible for many a good accident.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: buttah
Stats: 189/137/136-140
WOE: peri-meno "corrective" R4
Start Date: LowCal/Dukan/JUDD 2/12-8/12, then 3 rounds rxHCG
congrats!!!!

And btw, I was about 20 lbs overweight (from a very late miscarriage, and I couldn't wait to try again) when I was pregnant with my first son. I distinctly remember my OBGYN telling me that if I was careful not to overindulge, to only eat for hunger, don't ever stuff myself, and eat healthy foods, I could end up weighing the same or LESS a weeks after delivery than before I got pregnant, and still have a healthy pregnancy and baby.

Of course I didn't listen, and overindulged. Then I did it again with son number two, and that, my friends, is why I'm here today.

BUT WHATEVER YOU DO... CONGRATS!!!!
buttah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
We have a JUDDD baby! Congratulations. Amazing.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

You all brought a smile to my face. Thank you for the kind words, the jokes, and the advice!
Old 08-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Re-started Judd on 8.5.14
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 3.26.12
So thrilled for you!
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote