Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 05:39 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hollyitworks
Stats: 185/168/130 -17 Woohoo!
WOE: JUDDD (Is there any other way?)
Start Date: Restart July 2012 JUDDD. Start May 2012 Atkins
Does fasting get easier? Hunger management!

If you've been JUDDDing for a while, does it get easier to fast until dinner on down days? I got a little off track this weekend, off my usual schedule. But sometimes I don't know how to divide 475 calories up. I feel like, what's the point in dividing since it is so little. Any advice...

Do you use any supplements to control hunger?
hollyitworks is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2012, 05:52 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Holly, it gets easier for some people.
I have never been able to fast till dinner.
You're right. It's almost funny, trying to divide such weeny calorie allotments! But that's what we do, and what we get better and better at with time.
Some fast till dinner, some eat lunch and dinner (that's me), some spread those calories over the full day.
Some love volume (salad, cabbage stir fries, shirataki noodles) and some need protein (look at Adi's DD egg breakfast), or fat. Some, like Dawn, seem to exist happily on Wendy's chili.

I just want to encourage you to keep looking. If you discover you can't fast till dinner, you're one step closer to knowing what does work best for you. Experiment. At some point, you'll find the perfect combo for your body, and it'll feel GOOD.
Let us know how it goes.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:33 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
I am much like Kristin, I simply cannot fast all day. Heck, sometimes I can't even fast till 10:00 a.m. I have found cottage cheese 1% has made it easier for me. Nice protein base and can be coupled with Stawberries for a nice, splenda sweetened breakfast and with tomatoes for a nice light lunch. String cheese is another lifesaver.

Keep playing around with things. It took me a couple month to find what "go to" foods I could use for DD's!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:45 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: genevievew
Stats: 233/227/150
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 7/17/2012
Ive found that eggbeaters, bouillion, tea and anything with bubbles help to make me feel full, and the eggbeaters offer that wonderful protein to get through the day!
genevievew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:47 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
For me, DDs got better and better. Especially after Wednesday of week four - when, I assume, I reached saturation of sirtuin enzymes and truly felt different.

The only times I have fasted until dinner have been because I was not hungry. As above, if I am hungry, I eat.

1/2 an extreme wrap + two thin slices of ham + tons of sprouts, lettuce, thinly sliced tomato + 45 cal of cheese comes in about 100 cal and is very satisfying to me.

Experiment, find foods that meet your body's needs. It is amazing how two bites of the right food can calm the hunger beast.

For me, from day one, I did not worry about going 50 or 100 (or even more) calories over what I planned for DD. I find, knowing I can, I very rarely do.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:15 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
I've never fasted till dinner, never even tried. At first I HAD to have 3 meals. About 3 mos in, I was able to fast until lunch. Then my naturo told me that was hard on my recovering adrenals, so now I always have a protein shake for breakfast (1 cup unsweetened almond milk, water to fill the bullet cup, 1 scoop Sun Warrior Rice protein powder--110 cals). A big salad for lunch with lots of veggies, thin sliced lunchmeat ham and fat free Italian comes in around 120 or so. Lean meat and veggies for supper rounds out the day, and I usually end up around 500. If I snack (which I can since I'm in maintenance), I come in around 600-700.

If you can't make it till dinner, try splitting the cals up in 2 meals. Just because some make it till dinner, doesn't mean you can, or even have to.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:20 AM   #7

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Kristin, you got me!

I have days where I need to split my calories, most days where I skip breakfast then split them between lunch and dinner, some days where I fast up to dinner and have something small, and a few days where I've fasted completely. I think what gets easier over time, is listening to your body and knowing when you're "truly" hungry and when you just feel like having something to eat. There are times on DDs where I still eat just because it's time to eat and I have calories to spare. I know that sounds foreign with so few calories to use, but it does happen.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I think what gets easier over time, is listening to your body and knowing when you're "truly" hungry and when you just feel like having something to eat.
Oh wow, I was stunned when I realized thirst masquerades as hunger. These days I keep water with me at all times and keep myself hydrated. If I feel hungry, I drink water or green tea and wait 15 minutes. Usually the hunger subsides.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Excellent thread. Thanks.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
I'm finding that even if carbs aren't the devil on up days, they still are evil for me on down days. Yesterday I tried to get by with a subway six inch sandwich--wow, that did not work. It was the first down day since week one where I've had to go over my calorie alottment and then go to bed early for fear I'd eat something else.

Trial and error I guess. But it sure beats those early days when I didn't know if I could actually do it. I was almost quaking with fear at the prospect of my second down day. Now that's gone ;P
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OH!

If you are a cook, run some searches on bone broth. If you are not, try drinking low sodium broth. Many people find it wonderfully filling. I have a crock pot cooking right now.

And, check out small servings of some foods.

For example, the PB I am addicted to is 190 calories for 2 Tb (too much). Meaning 1 Tb is 95 calories (still too much, depending on what you plan for hte day). Which means 1 teaspoon is 32 calories. I was surprised to find 1 carefully measured teaspoon of PB, eaten after a glass of water or tea, was very filling for me. Maybe something like that will help you.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
I have to split my calories into 2 meals... sometimes I leave 50 calories for an evening snack. I wait until I am really hungry for lunch- about 12 or 2 pm. Then I have dinner at 6 or 7.

Egg beaters with salsa or hot sauce, Atkins shakes, low calorie veggies, 35-40 calorie bread, Progresso Light soups (160-200 cal for the whole can... which I eat in 2 sittings), Wasa crackers with light laughing cow cheese wedges, strawberries, Special K chips, 100 cal popcorn bags... all these are good bang for the calorie buck for those days you just need to chew.

Honestly though... I am hungrier on UDs after I've begun eating. I have to space out my food in regular intervals then too. If I want extra calories for supper, I eat later or skip breakfast- my least hungry time of the day.

Jen
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #13

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyitworks View Post
If you've been JUDDDing for a while, does it get easier to fast until dinner on down days? I got a little off track this weekend, off my usual schedule. But sometimes I don't know how to divide 475 calories up. I feel like, what's the point in dividing since it is so little. Any advice...

Do you use any supplements to control hunger?
I rarely fast until suppertime, as I enjoy my meals, even on DDs, and I enjoy eating something at the same time as my husband does, although on DDs, I'm usually eating a meal that is a bit different from his.

But, here's a really important part of being successful, even HUGELY successful on your DDs, and it's this: You need to come up with a bunch of different meals that are filling, delicious, nourishing, and low calorie for your DDs. Here is a nice example for breakfast:
* 3 egg whites
* 1/8 cup chopped sweet red pepper
* 1/8 cup chopped onion
* 1/3 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
Scramble this up in your good non-stick skillet with 3 shots of Pam oil spray, season with salt and pepper, as desired.

Have a couple of big mugs of plain hot tea, this egg scramble, and top it off with 5 sweet dark bing cherries! It's a pretty good breakfast, just not a HUGE one, and only about 100 calories, so plenty of cals left for later meals as well.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #14

Have you found Magic Pops in your local grocery stores yet? If not, ask your grocer to get them in! He'll make his fortune, and you'll be able to add these to your DD foods. Or order them online.

* 2 huge 5" diameter Magic Pops crisps, 15 calories each
* 2 wedges of Aldi's lite Happy Farms version of Laughing Cow cheese, 25 cals each

Spread cheese all over each giant crisp. Eat. Relish. Enjoy. Two HUGE crispy crunchy munchy snacky crisps for only 80 calories!!!!!

If you spread the crispy discs a bit thinner, you can spread the two cheese wedges over THREE crispy Magic Pops discs, and EAT ALL THREE for only 95 calories!!!

Add a big glass of your favorite icy 0-cal beverage or flavored water, and it makes a great late afternoon snack! (Or evening snacking while you're on the couch, watching TV with your Sweetheart.)
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #15

How about starting off lunch with a bowl (one cup) of hot chicken broth, seasoned with salt and pepper and garlic powder to taste.

Add a BIG salad of 3 cups of chopped romaine lettuce, 10 grape tomatoes, sliced in halves, 1/4 cup of chopped pared cucumber chunks, an ounce of finely sliced chicken breast, and topped with 2 tbsp. of Kraft fat free Italian dressing.

Enjoy a big glass of iced tea with this lunch.

Follow it all with 1/4 cup of chopped apple pieces or little slices.. fun to munch on for 'dessert'..

Lunch for about 125 calories!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:10 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hollyitworks
Stats: 185/168/130 -17 Woohoo!
WOE: JUDDD (Is there any other way?)
Start Date: Restart July 2012 JUDDD. Start May 2012 Atkins
Thanks for all the ideas~

I love it. I've had trouble with up days lately. I think the DD are the problem. I haven't had groceries and no time to shop, so tried to power thru with not alot of DD choices. Which means UD is eat everything because I'm going to be starving the next day so I'm going to eat everything. Bad move. Now I have a plan for UD and DD. Thanks friends~ I'll let you know how it goes.
xo

oh btw, I tried fasting one day, (because I didn't have anything to eat) bad move. it turned into eat everything I could find after 4pm not a good idea ;0)

Last edited by hollyitworks; 08-12-2012 at 06:12 AM.. Reason: adding
hollyitworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:39 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Crazy Cat
Stats: That's me on the left! 194.5/190/150. 54 & 5'5"
WOE: Lower carb-cutting back on wheat & refined sugar
Start Date: Restarting LC 7/17/13
I've never made it to dinner, the longest I can fast is around 12 or 1pm. But my biggest challenge is evenings, I'm so hungry and I'm not really doing anything to take my mind off of it. During the day it's not so bad if I keep busy.
My best DD are when I can eat tiny meals every 2 or 3 hours or so, starting at around 1pm. Then before bed I eat a can of green beans, which for some reason seem really filling to me. Sometimes I put in some diced tomatoes. I think the FF Greek blueberry yogurt is pretty filling also. I was even thinking about trying a DD of alternating green beans & yogurt.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:59 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I have found that I need to have something in the morning, even on DDs. And I need to make sure I have something in late afternoon before I head home. Otherwise I get the serious grumpies... and my poor family should not suffer because I'm on a DD!

But most DDs are pretty easy now. A bit of cottage cheese in the morning, a bite around noon, a snack around 3 or 4, then a small dinner. It works well for me.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote