Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wiiiifit
Stats: 20/12/8
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: Feb 2012
Losing Momentum

I joined here after JUDDing for several months. I joined partly because I had tried some great DD meals that were suggested and I wanted to thank you all. The other reason was because I just sort of feel like things are beginning to slip away. You know that feeling like it is all but over and you are about to give up.

I have lost 30lbs which is great...but, things have been really slow the last couple of weeks. Part of it is hormonal and TOM induced. Aside from the normal bloat, I had one bad DD this week. We ended up eating out and I did reasonably well at the restaurant. I was just a little high on calories and carbs; but, it wasn't like I had blown it. I am guessing it wouldn't have had much effect at all if I had stopped there. But, I didn't. Oh. No. I. Didn't. So, I went home and made sure the DD was an epic fail. I don't know why I sabotage myself. I think part of it was about knowing the scale isn't my friend during TOM anyway, so why bother?

The other part is maybe just needing a break. But, I don't usually have a lot of success with taking a break from the plan. So, I have been trying some creative ways to change up my plan. I have tried fiber loading and fat loading on a high day. Then, I tried a weekend carb fest which was not a good plan because it just made it harder during the week to stay away from the high calorie white stuff.

I really would like to lose another 40 or 50 pounds. But, I am just at a spot where I am struggling. I am afraid to take a maintenance break because I think it would turn into the end of the whole thing. I would love to hear ideas of how you handle burn out...needing a break or whatever.
wiiiifit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
*hugs*

The way I see you have 2 choices... either change it up and do something different for a few days/weeks/months... low carb, fat fast, low calorie- whatever sounds best. Or go to maintenance level calories and give yourself a break until you are more motivated.

Our bodies are *designed* to urge you to eat more after such a weight loss. If you give in completely, chances are you will gain it all back rapidly plus an additional 5-15 lbs "insurance" because your body thinks you've hit hard times. Don't give in!!! At least maintain and allow your body time to come to like this new weight.

30 lbs is great (Good job!!)- if you maintain that for a year you will have joined the ranks of the elusive few who are able to both lose and maintain a significant amount of weight. YOU CAN DO IT! It ain't easy some days but you CAN do it! You'll feel better in a few days.

Why don't you try finding a book about someone's weight loss story. They can be very motivating!

Jen
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:13 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Truffles
Stats: 142/125/128 JUDDD
WOE: LC&JUDDD
Start Date: 3/11 LC - 1/12 LC/JUDDD
I can relate to this! I have been self sabotaging lately! Once I hit goal for about 2 weeks I started to slip. I am taking a mini vacation on my way to the north shore tonight, but when I get back Thursday. "It's on!"
I know that for me having a food journal is instrumental for staying on track. I just use pen and paper... may look in to an online one soon to be able to track.
Maybe try a food journal?! Try not to beat yourself up too much and do better on your next DD.
Good luck and keep us updated! ;}
Old 08-06-2012, 03:26 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD

I think most of us have had DDs like that. So don't worry about that!
A couple things that help me when I'm struggling to find that motivation to keep going.

-make a list of reasons that your doing this. Like have more energy, wear smaller clothes, feel better about myself, for my kids, to live longer and healthier. Whatever the reasons might be for you.

-remember how far you have come. 30 lbs is amazing! You did that!

-come here as often as you can. I really don't know where I would be without a place to read about others who are going through the same thing as me. The encouragement here is amazing and motivating!
Old 08-06-2012, 03:40 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I agree with Jen!

Congrats on losing 30 lbs!

I have almost lost 30 on JUDDD and I have felt the same feelings you are having. I took a maintenance break for the month of May and 1st weeks of June and it helped to motivate me to continue on! My maintenance level for DD was 35-50% which was 700 - 800 cal and it was perfect for keeping up my vacation type activities without suffering EOD. I hope you realize that we all go through this same feeling.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:43 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Janette! I am going to post a new thread on all of the health benefits that Sirt-1 activate later today. It is amazing to me that I am gaining such wonderful health by following such a simple plan as JUDDD!

sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:31 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Whitlin'
Stats: 162/149/149
Start Date: March, 2009
Quote:
So, I went home and made sure the DD was an epic fail. I don't know why I sabotage myself.
Hi, wiiiifit. You'll get plenty of good advice. I just wanted to point out to you that when something like the above happens, you have only pushed a DD back one day, that's all. Having had an "Epic" DD that reached UD calories, the sun does come up the next morning, with a perfect opportunity to revisit a DD that was only postponed, not ruined.

It's like a meeting over which you have the control. It didn't work into your schedule that day. Oh well, you simply have to reschedule the meeting for the next day. You don't have to notify anyone. You don't have to apologize to anyone. It's your meeting and you are CEO.

I am so impressed with your 30 pound loss. Congratulations.

Many have found that moving into maintenance DD calories for a while is very positive for them, btw.

Lost 13 pounds on JUDDD in 2009 and began happy maintenance. Slipped up in 2012, but JUDDD got me back to goal!
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:33 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Lost with JUDDD! Maintaining with HDE/IE
I also took a maintenance break where I kept my DD calories anywhere from 30-50% instead of 20%. I did that for about a month and a half before my body just naturally gravitated back to 20% or so. For me, it was the best thing I could have done. I didn't feel like I gave up, and I was able to come back and get right back to it when I felt ready.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:47 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: genevievew
Stats: 233/227/150
Start Date: 7/17/2012

That is really good to know! I love reading how people get through slumps to prep myself when one will inevitably come my way!
genevievew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:25 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Wiii, I've come here three times already in an attempt to say something encouraging, but the others have far, far smarter things to say.

I just want to add that I think the way we picture ourselves matters.
So that if I practice picturing my future self as someone slim, happy, and successful with all of this, it changes my perspective during these struggles. One day, we'll look back and think, oh, that was fun, that time when I learned how to take care of myself when I felt like it wasn't going so well. So glad I learned that. So glad I found the perfect solution for me. So glad I hung in there. So glad I cared enough about myself. Etc.
If I don't do this, it's too easy to get caught up in the difficulty of the day. When I do practice it, every hurdle feels smaller. Just a thought.

Thanks for starting this wonderful thread. It looks as though lots of us can identify.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
as always Kristin.

We must learn to love ourselves. It is as important as any other weight loss 'rule'.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Weight loss is hard because we're fighting our bodies.

Sometimes, your body is going to win.

I think it's healthier to regroup than give up and I am so hopeful to reach your level of success!
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone for the support, advice, well wishes, etc. I think I am in a better place today at least. DD Monday is going ok so far. I weighed in this morning and I am only 3lbs from my lowest before TOM weigh in, even after my UD weekend. JUDDD is forgiving of our DD sins. I think the only hard part is that you have to be able to mentally let them go. I tend to be a perfectionist who likes to stay in control. So, this is definitely something that makes me struggle.

On a different weight loss board, I read a post about slip ups that has kind of stuck with me. If you drop your cell phone on the floor and nothing happens to it; what do you do next? Pick it up, clean it off, carefully put it back in your pocket and be thankful that there wasn't any damage...OR throw it on the floor harder to see if you can break it? When I mess up I do the second thing. I give up and try to break it more. It is definitely not the right way to handle it.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<280/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
The cell phone analogy--that is great!!! Thank you for sharing it!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
wiiiifit!
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I like the idea of a maintenance break. It has been positive for me - at least I know I am able to do it! I've never been able to hold steady for this long before. That is a victory in and of itself. Now, I just need the motivation to lose that last pesky 15 or so pounds....
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:31 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I am beginning to suspect (see Yam-Yam's intelligent post here) that many, many losers will see overall faster, happier, even healthier weight loss if they do take a maintenance break every ... I don't know ... depends on the body .... every 20 or 30 or 40 pounds.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

I think maintenance breaks probably would help, too. But, I just don't know how to keep a maintenance break from becoming the end or at least the beginning of the end. If I say I am going to take a little break; it always seems to lead to death of the plan. Always.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)

JUDDD's standard maintenance rules are higher DDs according to the website, but still significantly lower than the UDs. I wonder if you could do that. If maybe keeping the rotation could make it easier to lower DDs after awhile and move back into weight loss.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote