Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Boosya
Stats: 209.5/204.1/120
WOE: hHcg, again...... :-)))
Reigning it in on JUDDD

Hi everyone,

I'd like some of your great advice. I'm trying to JUDDD, but am having a hard time with my UD's. What are some of your secrets to not making each UD an Up-and-Away day??? It's like I go bonkers, and most of my last UD's have been over 2300 calories, if not more... They should be around 1800. My down days aren't too bad, I've been keeping them around 350-500 calories. I think I just need a swift kick in the pants, and make sure to keep the junk food out of my mouth (hard to do when DH and kiddos love the stuff).....

Thanks
Boosya is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunshinegirl44
Stats: 339/298/115
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2013
Saving my DD calories till dinner helps me, but that is just me. When I go all day without food, 500 calories fills like a million and I am satisfied and happy until morning
Sunshinegirl44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AmyInTX
Stats: 262/243.2/170
WOE: LC/ then JUDDD
Start Date: start JUDDD on 8/4/12
Plan! Plan! Plan!

then treat it just like a DD
AmyInTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sdjade
Start Date: LC 10-2011, JUDDD 04-01-2012
I've had my struggles with this as well. I find that if i just eat something light for breakfast it helps. I will sometimes us a 240cal Clif Bar just to get me going. Once I start making eggs, toast, maybe bacon etc, I've had tons of calories for too early in the day, plus it makes me feel sluggish. That usually works on a UD during the week. On a weekend UD I try to do a late breakfast and then skip lunch.
sdjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<280/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
The first 2 weeks or so are like that for a lot of people, especially if you've been doing low-carb or Weight Watchers or whatever for a long time;
so many foods you've been thinking you could never have again, and now you can!!!

Options:

Enjoy it for a couple of weeks, but be prepared not to lose weight.

Realize that if you continue to do this, you will *not* be able to do JUDDD for the long term, and all those foods will be off the table again...for years, or forever!

Or, rein it in now, because you *will* be able to eat those foods on some other UD in the future (even if you have to set aside your portion and hide it!),

"Secrets":

*Eat lots of very nourishing, filling food (protein & veggies & dairy for me).

*Eat treats & junk food only with a big, filling meal...not after dinner, not in between meals--or instead of meals!!!
For example, I have to have chips with a sandwich, never by themselves!!!

*Experiment with different drinks (tea, diet soda, lemon water) & maybe some supplements to see if they help with appetite. I use l-glutamine & it's helped a lot.

*Plan for only one meal to be indulgent, the others to be smaller or lower-fat (or whatever works for you).

*Skip one meal on an Up Day.
New lows, 2014:
6/29 282.8
7/07 280.2
7/14 276.8

Last edited by piratejenny; 08-05-2012 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: add sentence
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Whitlin'
Stats: 162/149/149
Start Date: March, 2009
Hi, Boosya

I have tried both waiting for a big supper and going ahead and having a big breakfast. Possibly the most helpful to me is half-and-half. Waiting for a while, but then having a large lunch or brunch. Then, at a time when I'm satisfied and content, I tally up how many calories I have left. That calm, content feeling usually lasts long enough to let me stick to those calories ruthlessly through the rest of the day.

Junk food
Junk food should be in cabinets. Never, never let it sit in plain view. And if another family member wants some, they should pour their own bowlful, put the bag or box of it back into a cabinet, and not tempt others. You should never be requested to get out junk food for somebody else.

Lost 13 pounds on JUDDD in 2009 and began happy maintenance. Slipped up in 2012, but JUDDD got me back to goal!
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I like this!

I go over on UD, if I eat out. Now, this isn't always the case, but unless I have everything written out for both UD and DD, I can mess either up. Eat too much or way too little on UD. To keep me reigned in on UD, I have decided to allow my one dinner out to be a little over calories each week. So far it hasn't been an issue, but I know I have to do every other DD & UD the remainder of the week right on target. Someone else mentioned and I think it is Nancy, that if you know you are going to dinner to plan a light lunch and that helps for the unknowns that can happen at a restaurant.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Although I use ****** for logging, I know that many calorie counters already have most of the chain restaurants calculated. Where I run into trouble, is the non-franchise type restaurant, that doesn't have nutrition data. In these cases, I try to figure out as close as possible what was in the dinner and log the calories. I also figure that if I overcalculate on calories it will serve me better than to underestimate.

sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
How long have you been JUDDDing?

Sometimes, after a few weeks to a month of good DDs, appetite suppression kicks in, feeling good kicks in, and UDs begin to stabilize kind of naturally.

However, to speed things up I highly recommend planning each bite you eat on UD and DD. Plan in advance. And plan to allow yourself one anything-goes FD (full day or free day) in place of one UD each week.

Each week, as you plan, look yourself in the metaphorical eye and ask yourself 'do I really need a free day this week?' If you don't, then don't. Have another satisfying UD. But ask the question each week.

Over time, UDs may become more enjoyable than FDs.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:11 PM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I see you tried JUDDD in April, but how long have you been here this time?

Are your DDs easier now? if this is just your first week or so of UDs, they will soon settle down I am certain.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosya View Post
Hi everyone,

I'd like some of your great advice. I'm trying to JUDDD, but am having a hard time with my UD's. What are some of your secrets to not making each UD an Up-and-Away day??? It's like I go bonkers, and most of my last UD's have been over 2300 calories, if not more... They should be around 1800. My down days aren't too bad, I've been keeping them around 350-500 calories. I think I just need a swift kick in the pants, and make sure to keep the junk food out of my mouth (hard to do when DH and kiddos love the stuff).....

Thanks
This usually happens when you let Up Days just.. happen. If you consider them more or less *free* to just eat at will, and if your old eating habits that brought you to the weight that brought you here are followed, those UUAA Days happen, and they've happened to A LOT of us before we took control.

So if you want to stick to about 1800-calorie Up Days, you need to do a bit more planning ahead of time. Break your day and meals into chunks of calories.

For example, say you allow yourself 300 calories for breakfast, 600 calories for lunch, and 900 calories for a big supper. That 1800 calories.

Or perhaps you will have 400 calories for bigger breakfast, a light soup & salad lunch of 300 calories, an afternoon teatime snack of 250 calories, and then a supper of 600 calories, and a later evening snack of 250 calories. There's your 1800 calories.

If you know ahead of time about how many calories you want to eat for your meals and snacks in a given UD, it helps you not overdo so much before you are completely beyond your calorie ceiling, and have ruined not only that current UD, but overate so much it erased the DD in front of it too. And maybe the next DD as well.

It gets better, and JUDDD does help us re-learn (or learn for the first time) how we should be eating, as far as portion sizes go. But it takes a little work to make it an easy habit and a thing that you can just do without even thinking much about it. And then.. you're getting skinny, and reaching your goal, and will find it pretty easy to stay slim forever instead of joining the vast majority who gain it all back again.

Good luck!
Old 08-06-2012, 05:05 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
This usually happens when you let Up Days just.. happen. If you consider them more or less *free* to just eat at will, and if your old eating habits that brought you to the weight that brought you here are followed, those UUAA Days happen, and they've happened to A LOT of us before we took control.

So if you want to stick to about 1800-calorie Up Days, you need to do a bit more planning ahead of time. Break your day and meals into chunks of calories.

For example, say you allow yourself 300 calories for breakfast, 600 calories for lunch, and 900 calories for a big supper. That 1800 calories.

Or perhaps you will have 400 calories for bigger breakfast, a light soup & salad lunch of 300 calories, an afternoon teatime snack of 250 calories, and then a supper of 600 calories, and a later evening snack of 250 calories. There's your 1800 calories.

If you know ahead of time about how many calories you want to eat for your meals and snacks in a given UD, it helps you not overdo so much before you are completely beyond your calorie ceiling, and have ruined not only that current UD, but overate so much it erased the DD in front of it too. And maybe the next DD as well.

It gets better, and JUDDD does help us re-learn (or learn for the first time) how we should be eating, as far as portion sizes go. But it takes a little work to make it an easy habit and a thing that you can just do without even thinking much about it. And then.. you're getting skinny, and reaching your goal, and will find it pretty easy to stay slim forever instead of joining the vast majority who gain it all back again.

Good luck!
Pat, you have repeated this message a number of times over my four months here. I hope you continue to do so, because, for whatever reason, it was PERFECT to see this today.
Isn't it the strangest thing, the way excellent advice can float right over your head one day (one week, one month) and then just smack you exactly where it counts another day!
Many thanks.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:53 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: genevievew
Stats: 233/227/150
Start Date: 7/17/2012
Ive been doing JUDDD about 4 weeks now... and from the beginning I have done 2000 calorie UDs and 500 calorie DDs... Im not going to even consider changing that up until I stop losing, because I just can't see being able to stay under 500 calories on a DD until my body has healed more and the appetite suppression benefits have kicked in. I think if I ate less on my DDs I would feel really deprived right now, and then my UDs would all turn into free for alls, and a viscous cycle would begin... Just something to consider. Its a good spread of calories, and Im steadily losing 2 lbs a week, plus its manageable!!
genevievew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:02 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by genevievew View Post
Ive been doing JUDDD about 4 weeks now... and from the beginning I have done 2000 calorie UDs and 500 calorie DDs... Im not going to even consider changing that up until I stop losing, because I just can't see being able to stay under 500 calories on a DD until my body has healed more and the appetite suppression benefits have kicked in. I think if I ate less on my DDs I would feel really deprived right now, and then my UDs would all turn into free for alls, and a viscous cycle would begin... Just something to consider. Its a good spread of calories, and Im steadily losing 2 lbs a week, plus its manageable!!
I've tried to go below 500 calories before and it made no difference. I figure I may as well enjoy my 500! There are others who have found this to be true also.
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinegirl44 View Post
Saving my DD calories till dinner helps me, but that is just me. When I go all day without food, 500 calories fills like a million and I am satisfied and happy until morning
I have the same issue, but I find that eating later on a DD helps as well. If I am hungry in the morning, then a good, solid breakfast is in order. Like eggs, ham, and cheese omelet, or something like that (higher protein and fat).
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote