Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: divinemsm54
Stats: 254/173/150
WOE: JUDDD, mod. carb, HCG
Start Date: 7/15/12
Can this be right???

So I weighed in today after a DD for my 3-weeks on JUDDD check up---and I was only down .2 (not 2, sigh, two TENTHS) of a pound. Which made me a wee bit sad, as I attributed it to my cereal binge this week that turned a DD into an UD and threw off my rotation, though I did convert the next day to a DD and was faithful the rest of the week. Also I returned to the gym after a 6-wk absence due to a back strain, and did 45 min of resistance work, which I know can cause a water gain the next day. So just for the hell of it, looking for another measure other than the evil "s" word to go by, I hauled out my body fat meter. And I had dropped almost SIX points from my measurement last week--hence the thread title! I repeated it, same result. So IS it possible? or is the drop also a measure of how much water I'm holding from working out yesterday? Any perspectives from my wise JUDDDers would be much appreciated...
--water balloon disguised as human,
patty
divinemsm54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sdjade
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: LC 10-2011, JUDDD 04-01-2012
I'm no expert, but I think it is definitely possible. Do you take measurements? Are your clothes fitting any looser? I think that is truly a good judge of how you are doing. I do some pretty heavy weight lifting which can be frustrating with the scale, but I can SEE my body changing and FEEL my clothes getting looser which provides motivation to continue.

Keep up those rotations and I'm sure the scale start to move.
sdjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Do you know (or can you figure out) how 6 points would translate into pounds of fat?

I don't know what "points" mean in this context. Is that percentage points?
Like, down from 36% body fat to 30%?
Or do "points" mean something else?
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/212/147 or size 8/10
WOE: 2000/1000 rotations, moderate carb
Start Date: 11/3/14; JUDDD 7/11/12
Hi Patty! Are you weighing about once a week or more often?

I don't know much about body fat meters, but I often wish we had some kind of instant, super-accurate body fat reading tool so we don't have to wonder about whether the scale results are water or not! I think the fat meter results are a good sign, anyway. I really don't think your "real" loss is .2 if your rotations have been mostly on track.

The cereal day might have affected the scale short term, but it shouldn't negate all the other good rotations. I altered my rotation on purpose with a medium day last week, and although I don't know what the relationship is, the scale has been super wacky for me this week. I've had 3 great rotations and it's just starting to turn around ... I'm hoping that a couple more will fix it.
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

PJ--here's an explanation of BMI I cut and pasted:
Your BMI (Body Mass Index) is a number that shows how your your weight compares to your height (BMI = weight / height2). BMI indicates how thin or how fat you are (unless you are very muscular, in which case BMI is not accurate). The higher the BMI the more fat you have compared to your height.
Yeah, really not thinkin' I fit into the "very muscular" category! Not sure how it would correlate to pounds but it seems super unlikely to drop from definitely in the "obese" category to almost "normal" in one week. Thinking I have a piece o' crap meter!

I don't know what "points" mean in this context. Is that percentage points?
Like, down from 36% body fat to 30%?
Or do "points" mean something else?[/QUOTE]
They're basically just comparing you to others in your same demographic---as if I'd leapfrogged over 6% of the whole female fifties world in one week! I AM superwoman!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbchris View Post
Hi Patty! Are you weighing about once a week or more often?

Only once a week, otherwise bad things happen in my head...

The cereal day might have affected the scale short term, but it shouldn't negate all the other good rotations. I altered my rotation on purpose with a medium day last week, and although I don't know what the relationship is, the scale has been super wacky for me this week. I've had 3 great rotations and it's just starting to turn around ... I'm hoping that a couple more will fix it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdjade View Post
I'm no expert, but I think it is definitely possible. Do you take measurements? Are your clothes fitting any looser? I think that is truly a good judge of how you are doing. I do some pretty heavy weight lifting which can be frustrating with the scale, but I can SEE my body changing and FEEL my clothes getting looser which provides motivation to continue.

Keep up those rotations and I'm sure the scale start to move.
I haven't measured, and clothes feel about the same--but I tend to buy only, shall we say, "RELAXED" garments so it's harder to tell. I think my cereal day really derailed my not very forgiving metabolism and hoping very much that a few more rotations will get me losing again. And that a while longer JUDDDing will make my body more able to roll with the occasional dietary punch...
thanks for the support and input Juddd-buds!
---patty
Old 08-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I am watching this space.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I don't have any suggestions other than my NO CEREAL in the HOUSE rule- EVER! I don't think you know about my sleep walking/ eating thing, but seriously... I'm like a heat seeking missle toward cereal when asleep. I started using light, free weights 2 days ago and today I bounced up over 2lbs. That's unusual for me. My bounce is usually less than a pound. So it could be your return to the gym. I don't know much about that either, but my arms are sore.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ok, I still have no idea what "points" mean.
Or what BMI has to do with the fat meter; you didn't mention BMI in your OP.
Or where the demographic info is coming from.
Is it programmed into your meter?

If you meter gives you a percentage (which I would think most do), then you could calculate how many pounds of your total body weight is fat. If your meter was telling you that you lost, say, 20lbs of fat in one week, my answer to the title of this thread would be "No, I don't think this is right!"

I'd love to answer this question but I don't understand the info you're giving us.

ETA: But, I really hope that something excellent is happening, even though the scale isn't being nice!!!
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 08-05-2012 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: ETA
Old 08-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
Start Date: March, 2009
Patty, I didn't exactly know what a body fat meter was/did, so looked it up. You taught me something! I saw one that measures in BMI, yes. I guess I'd say if yours is suggesting such a fast BMI change as 6 points in 3 weeks, no, that doesn't seem possible. The one I saw also says it will measure in Bi (Bioelectrical Impedence Method). Is it possible that is the 6 points change? (Not that I know whether that would be less or more, I'm still learning!)

No matter which or what, I'm happy for you that you got an improved reading. Wait until your muscles release the excess water from exercise and you will probably find weight loss, too.

Best wishes!
Old 08-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

PJ--this crap is all so confusing--here's some info:
"Body mass index: A key index for relating weight to height. Abbreviated BMI. BMI is a person's weight in kilograms (kg) divided by his or her height in meters squared. The National Institutes of Health (NIH) now defines normal weight, overweight, and obesity according to BMI rather than the traditional height/weight charts. Overweight is a BMI of 27.3 or more for women and 27.8 or more for men. Obesity is a BMI of 30 or more for either sex (about 30 pounds overweight). A very muscular person might have a high BMI without health risks.

So you can see from the rather narrow range of possible BMI, that a drop of 6 points in one week is proof of god's existence? Yeah, I think I just have a crappy meter! (it shoots little electrical impulses into you while you hold it and that tells it whether it's hitting various densities of tissue, which, in combination with the height/wt/age info you enter, gives you the number. Oy. Thanks for the good wishes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Ok, I still have no idea what "points" mean.
Or what BMI has to do with the fat meter; you didn't mention BMI in your OP.
Or where the demographic info is coming from.
Is it programmed into your meter?

If you meter gives you a percentage (which I would think most do), then you could calculate how many pounds of your total body weight is fat. If your meter was telling you that you lost, say, 20lbs of fat in one week, my answer to the title of this thread would be "No, I don't think this is right!"

I'd love to answer this question but I don't understand the info you're giving us.

ETA: But, I really hope that something excellent is happening, even though the scale isn't being nice!!!
Old 08-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Carly---I feel your cereal pain! after my Mini Wheats debauch, I cleared the house of the evil substance...

Whitlin'---there's always more to learn, for good or ill, isn't there? Thanks for the support!
--patty
Old 08-05-2012, 09:43 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I know what BMI is, I still don't understand what numbers your meter is giving you and what "dropped almost SIX points" means!

Quote:
...gives you the number.
What number--body fat percentage or BMI?
Old 08-06-2012, 12:34 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

My meter gives both--weirdly the body fat percentage stayed virtually the same but BMI number is the one that tanked 6 points--I'm sure by meter error...

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
I know what BMI is, I still don't understand what numbers your meter is giving you and what "dropped almost SIX points" means!

What number--body fat percentage or BMI?
Old 08-06-2012, 04:44 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Quite a few of us follow a pattern of staying at about the same scale weight for several weeks - while measuring inches dropping rapidly. Then, fairly quickly the scale seems to 'catch down'. Several IF websites warn newbies to expect that pattern.

Twice now, at a slow or seemingly stalled scale weight, I have had clothing that fit fine yesterday be literally too big to wear today.

I don't get it, but am willing to bet BMI points play into that pattern somewhere.

Whatever it is, I'll take it!!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

It really helps to hear this, Nancy--I know I fall into the trap of getting too fixated on numbers as proof of progress...
thanks!
--patty

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Quite a few of us follow a pattern of staying at about the same scale weight for several weeks - while measuring inches dropping rapidly. Then, fairly quickly the scale seems to 'catch down'. Several IF websites warn newbies to expect that pattern.

Twice now, at a slow or seemingly stalled scale weight, I have had clothing that fit fine yesterday be literally too big to wear today.

I don't get it, but am willing to bet BMI points play into that pattern somewhere.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 48 5'9.. 11-18-14 #176.
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Well i dont have any answers on the inital question.. but.. Here is what i do have to say.. Be kind to your self.. also, if cereal is what you love then just eat it~ We who come to JUDDD have most of us been afraid of certain foods, and the beautiufll thing here is,, NOTHING is off limits, If your cereal causes fluctions on the scale then be prepared for that.. but remember... its up not cuz of fat.. Water water water.. Also.. IF you can learn to "trust" in what JUDDD is doing on the inside, reguardless what that scale says, you will soon see steady losses that just become a part of life.. so effortlessly.. and almost pleasuarable.. I love what this woe has done for me, and for the way i look at "numbers" now.. Plus a relaxed (not stressed) reponce to dieting is better for you.. So realx,, enjoy the jouney.. You got this girl~
1995 190# Low fat
2012 225#
2012 found JUDDD
166# current 2014
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Weighing once a week is a great idea, especially if fluctuations mess with your head. I asked, though, because it just might be an off day to weigh ... those happen! It's soooo hard to be patient ... I just got mad at the scale recently for actually going up despite great rotations, and then it started coming off. I don't know why!
Old 08-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post

This is good news, Nancy! Thanks for posting this ... I'm going to remember it to get me through the slow scale times.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Listen, really, if measuring is not your thing then follow Sheridan's advice: hit a thrift store or end-of-season sale and buy a few pieces of clothing that are a variety of smaller sizes. Periodically, try them on just to see what is really happening. And be prepared to discover you waited too long and a few of them are suddenly too big! (Can you tell I love JUDDD even though I never got to wear that lovely blue jacket?)
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Well i dont have any answers on the inital question.. but.. Here is what i do have to say.. Be kind to your self.. also, if cereal is what you love then just eat it~ We who come to JUDDD have most of us been afraid of certain foods, and the beautiufll thing here is,, NOTHING is off limits, If your cereal causes fluctions on the scale then be prepared for that.. but remember... its up not cuz of fat.. Water water water.. Also.. IF you can learn to "trust" in what JUDDD is doing on the inside, reguardless what that scale says, you will soon see steady losses that just become a part of life.. so effortlessly.. and almost pleasuarable.. I love what this woe has done for me, and for the way i look at "numbers" now.. Plus a relaxed (not stressed) reponce to dieting is better for you.. So realx,, enjoy the jouney.. You got this girl~
This is so true Kimberly and I agree with no food being off limits, but some are "eat out only" for me, because a big box, bag, what have you could be demolished by me in my sleep or for others under a variety of conditions, but that is one of the best things about JUDDD- no "no-no" foods!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

It's so true---seems to be "c" word foods for me, cookies and cereal--I turn into one of those animals who can consume twice their own weight in food around them! Living in hope of the day I can eat 3 oreos...that truly will be not only JUDDD magic but JUDDD miracle!
--patty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
This is so true Kimberly and I agree with no food being off limits, but some are "eat out only" for me, because a big box, bag, what have you could be demolished by me in my sleep or for others under a variety of conditions, but that is one of the best things about JUDDD- no "no-no" foods!
Old 08-08-2012, 03:00 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
I hear you, patty and carly. With juddd, some foods have crept slowly on to my list of Foods That Can Be Eaten Without Losing My Marbles. But not chips, not cereal, not cookies, yet.
I laugh when people say go ahead and throw the carbs back in, the only issue will be water gain. That'd be great, but that isn't my only issue. Mine is that every UD becomes a monster UUAD.
I love the way that each of us finds our way with JUDDD. And I adore the way we share that here.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:30 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brehede
Stats: 283/264/140
WOE: LC JUDDD
Start Date: January 2012
Sorry I am a bit late replying! I definitely find that when I overeat on carbs on an UD I can have a big gain (4 - 5 pounds this week!), which mostly went after the next DD.

I support the fact that inches can be going even if weight not moving. I have been finding weight loss slow lately but am very surprised trying on clothes. A blouse which I tried on just a few weeks ago which was too tight now fits well!

Dee
brehede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:41 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 48 5'9.. 11-18-14 #176.
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
WTG Dee.. Happy to see that you are finding loss in more than "just" the scale.. Its so important to pay attention to how your body is changing.. even when the immediate choice of checking for loss shows none.. your body is still losing fat and eventually that dang scale has to give it up sometime or other.. great job~
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote