Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gulf Coast Girl
Stats: Goal Feb '10. Lost 163 lbs.
Kissa Re: Callanetics Mods (for others starting too)

Kissa, I saw your question about modifications on the Callan board and wanted to put this here since I think I read others here saying they were starting too.

I don't have the links right now but if you search youtube for "Callanetics' or 'Callanetics Secrets' or 'Callanetics Beginning' there are two clips titled something like: 'Callanetics for Beginners' that's about 2 minutes long and 'Secrets of Callanetics' that's about 5 minutes long. They're clips from old Callanetics videos you can still buy and both of them show various modifications for different exercises. Ben (instructor on the Callan board) recommended them to me when I first started last year. (Kissa, he's also in London or he was at the time.) Specifically to the exercises where you sit back on your heels she shows people doing them without sitting back as far and even standing. Something that I still do today in the rotation/scoop/thigh stretch moves is put a rolled up towel underneath my ankles.

I've been doing Callan 3 times a weeks since last Nov. I keep saying that finding Callan and JUDDD were the very best things that happened in my life last year. Even though I didn't start JUDDD until Jan both are just simply amazing.

I started out with 10 in 10 three times a week and last month moved up to doing 10 in 10 twice a week and Super Callan once a week. (I plan to just stay with that schedule - I don't foresee ever moving up to doing Super more than once a week.) I've never ever liked workout videos - they usually bore me to tears but I can't even describe how much my body loves this workout. In the beginning I wondered if that feeling would last and it just gets stronger.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2012, 03:13 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Wow, thank you so very much for this kind response Jennifer. I just love LCF, there is so much kindness here.

I did find them showing the rotation/scoop/thigh exercise standing up thank you. I am doing those, at least trying to, I feel a bit like a horse at present, but I hope once I am more experienced I will look like a snake.

I would love to have some lessons after a month or so.

It is wonderful to hear that the Callanetics/JUDDD combo is so successful for you. (Wow, look at that loss!) My thanks again.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Thanks Jennifer!

Here is the YT secrets that Jennifer is suggesting teaching the Pelvic Curve which is basic in every callenetic's move~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q-hmbDnodc

Love this explanation also!
For those of you who work at the desk jobs and computer all day, these arm exercises are amazing for relieving the tension in the neck! In fact, on days that I can't get my whole callanetics dvd in, I try to at least do these 4 brief exercises for the abs, butt, thighs, & arms~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzAk...ture=related//
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: 150?/?/135 52yo
WOE: JUDDDish
Jennifer, thanks for this.
Joyjoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.7/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Thanks- I want to learn more and see if I can do this despite my spine being fused at 5 levels.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Carly, I suffer with sciatic issues from falling on the ski slopes quite hard on my tailbone 15 years ago. I have found that callanetics is much like ballet and is very gentle. I hope that you can find some relief with it. The only negative for me, is that it is time consuming, but in the same token it is only necessary 3 x per week and you should be able to maintain the results.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunshinegirl44
Stats: 339/298/115
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2013
I will check this out, I think this may be the callenetics I did in my 20's. I loved it, not sure why I stopped. This has reminded me of it thanks.
Sunshinegirl44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #8

Wow, we are a group! I love that. Thank you so much Jennifer.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

You're welcome, all.

One of the best things about Callan is that you will still see progress with all of the modifications. Callan says it in the videos and the instructors who've participated on the Callan board over the years have all said it too.

Start where you're comfortable and move up when you're ready. I still have plenty of days where my body forces me to modify different moves and every month I still end up stronger than the month before.

If you have spine issues you can do the bar leg work entirely on the floor and I promise having done them both ways for weeks at a time you will still feel the stretch/lengthening. You can use props under your back (towels/pillow/yoga props) until your stomach muscles get stronger. You'll still feel/see results. When my elbow joints are inflamed I use a large foam roller as a prop to lean on when doing the floor leg work.

I'm sure I sound like a Callan Crack dealer but I just love this workout. I've even got my Dad doing some of the stretches. At one point in 10 in 10 Callan says something like 'once you've discovered how good the stretches feel you'll want more' and for me that turned out to be completely true. I'd always thought I was stretched out (from a lot of yoga) but it was nothing compared to this.
Gulf Coast Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #10

I love this post Jennifer. it makes so much sense.

Tomorrow I will have all the props, supports and comforts I can think of, then I am off.

I have said for years that there aren't enough stretches in my many exercise classes. I love stretching and I know my body has suffered from too little of it.

In a way, Callanetics sounds a little like JUDDD, make it work for you.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So appreciative Jennifer! I love that it has been that beneficial for you! I agree about feeling so good after doing the sets, even though it may seem that you have spent minimal exertion, the following day you will feel it in places you were not aware of.

Don't let the 80's attire turn you off! I can remember wearing the same workout attire that Callen wore back in the original video. I am motivated to dig out my old "Super Callanetics" and "10 in 10".

I think the thing that I like the most about Callen would be the fast results. It seems like I noticed improvement the very week I started.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:58 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
I love this post Jennifer. it makes so much sense.

Tomorrow I will have all the props, supports and comforts I can think of, then I am off.

I have said for years that there aren't enough stretches in my many exercise classes. I love stretching and I know my body has suffered from too little of it.

In a way, Callanetics sounds a little like JUDDD, make it work for you.
You'll do great, Kissa. Just focus on form, the pelvic tilt (or 'tipping up' as she sometimes calls it) and always make sure you're curving your chest in instead of straight up during the ab work. If you need to it's always better to do fewer reps with good form and build up from there.

I completely agree with you about the stretching. In general I don't think people stretch nearly as much as they should. The benefits carry over so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
So appreciative Jennifer! I love that it has been that beneficial for you! I agree about feeling so good after doing the sets, even though it may seem that you have spent minimal exertion, the following day you will feel it in places you were not aware of.

I think the thing that I like the most about Callen would be the fast results. It seems like I noticed improvement the very week I started.
Sunday's not kidding about how deceivingly easy the moves look. But when you get the form down you will feel it. After 8 sessions my Mom noticed I was already getting visible results. I didn't really notice it myself at that point but she didn't know I was doing anything new and one day just announced she'd never seen my legs looking so thin.

The way I describe it to people is that Callan leans, lifts and sucks everything up and in. I considered myself thin and even fit before starting but for example I would never just run into the grocery store in yoga pants (I'm meaning like lulu pants...tight where every bump and lump shows). After about 3 months of Callan I realized that without even thinking about it I'd run into the post office without a long shirt or anything to cover me up. I was downright giddy the rest of the day.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:18 AM   #13

I just did my 2nd hour of 10/10 doing the standing pelvic scoops and thigh stretches.

I feel I really need to work on my form. This is when a teacher is so helpful.

But I did it.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:22 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Girl View Post

The way I describe it to people is that Callan leans, lifts and sucks everything up and in. I considered myself thin and even fit before starting but for example I would never just run into the grocery store in yoga pants (I'm meaning like lulu pants...tight where every bump and lump shows). After about 3 months of Callan I realized that without even thinking about it I'd run into the post office without a long shirt or anything to cover me up. I was downright giddy the rest of the day.
Can't wait for the day that I feel giddy about running around in my yoga pants! Just curious which dvd do you find the most beneficial? The old Callanetics or the newer dvds? Thanks so much for motivating & inspiring me!

Old 08-06-2012, 04:40 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alcestis
Stats: 16/10/8 5' 8"
WOE: JUDDD 1850/600
Start Date: December 13th, 2011
If we're having a Callanetics thread on the JUDDD board, count me in. I used to love the main thread on LCF, when a bunch of us were doing 10/10. I know it's expanded beyond belief since then, which is wonderful. I recently returned to the fabulous 10/10 and I'm loving it all over again...
Alcestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:43 AM   #16

Lets do this! You wanna start it Alcestis?
Old 08-06-2012, 08:08 AM   #17

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
Thanks- I want to learn more and see if I can do this despite my spine being fused at 5 levels.
Carly, let us know if you do this and how it works for you. I have a congenital fusion at L4-L5-Sacrum and sometimes it's really difficult for me to get down on the floor and get back up again. I'm really interested to see how you do. I'm definitely in need of some toning!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Zoneish, Organic, GrassFed, Gluten-Free 5/13
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I've never heard of this! Sounds neat! I have back issues, sciatica, constant nerve pain, so I think I can benefit too! I'm going to have to look it up tonight!
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #19

Ideal for people with back problems, she had back issues herself.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Ok, I'm going to start an official, JUDDDer's doing Callanetics thread so we can keep track and discuss things. I wasn't sure if this was it, or just an interest thread.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:16 PM   #21

Thanks Tina, I should have done it I know...

I think this thread title may not really work.

Off to look for the new thread now.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Can't wait for the day that I feel giddy about running around in my yoga pants! Just curious which dvd do you find the most beneficial? The old Callanetics or the newer dvds? Thanks so much for motivating & inspiring me!

I've only done the originals - 10 in 10 and now Super Callanetics. I'm of the 'If it's not broke...' mentality.

I've read a lot about the newer version and it just doesn't interest me.

I don't know if you're familiar with Twyla (Watch-Me-Shrink) or not but there's an old Callan success pictures thread and she posted her pics. Hers (along with others) were what inspired to me to go with the originals. At the time Amazon had a 2 pack on sale so I just got them both.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
I just did my 2nd hour of 10/10 doing the standing pelvic scoops and thigh stretches.

I feel I really need to work on my form. This is when a teacher is so helpful.

But I did it.
Yay, Kissa 2 hours down.

I would love love love to be able to take a class with Ben from the boards one day. He's so sweet and helpful. (edited to add: I don't think he actually teaches in a studio)

Hopefully this will work here's a link to some teachers/studios in the UK:

Callanetics : Find an Instructor

Agnes used to post here too I think.

You're lucky that if you ever do want to take a class you have some options. There are only 2 teachers in TX and both are in the Dallas area. (I'm in the Houston area.)

Last edited by Gulf Coast Girl; 08-06-2012 at 03:56 PM..
Old 08-07-2012, 05:00 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alcestis
Stats: 16/10/8 5' 8"
WOE: JUDDD 1850/600
Start Date: December 13th, 2011
Oops, Kissa, I would have happily started a thread, but I didn't get back to the boards all day I was too busy doing Callanetics last night
Alcestis is offline   Reply With Quote