Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD
Christa-DH has a crazy work schedule and I worry he doesn't get enough sleep. Whenever I tell him that he says 'sleep is overrated!'. I think that's what I'll tell myself(I don't believe it AT all) just until I start sleeping better!
I thought I read in another post that you exercise a lot? I've been wondering if a lot of exercise can effect your sleep?? I've slowed down a bit but so far hasn't made a difference.
Jbinme is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
Could you be depressed? Early morning waking can be a sign of depression?
I've been depressed in the past. I don't feel like I am at all now. Thank goodness!
Old 08-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #33
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Purple Sage
Stats: LCHF no scale - goal size 8 & healthy 14/14/8
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: January 1, 2005 Atkins :'( restart April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbinme View Post
Christa-DH has a crazy work schedule and I worry he doesn't get enough sleep. Whenever I tell him that he says 'sleep is overrated!'. I think that's what I'll tell myself(I don't believe it AT all) just until I start sleeping better!
I thought I read in another post that you exercise a lot? I've been wondering if a lot of exercise can effect your sleep?? I've slowed down a bit but so far hasn't made a difference.
I do exercise a lot, but I don't think that has ever affected by sleep. I know I sleep better on days when I DO exercise. I normally can take a short nap in the afternoon and do better with that. I work from home and home school so I have that flexibility.
Purple Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks PJ! I just read through the whole thread. Very interesting. I always was a breakfast eater. Even now on UDs. But I'm just trying to figure out how to get the protein in on DDs and hopefully not get hungry the rest of the day. I hope it's not totally based on 30 min after you wake. I have to wait at least 1 hour after taking my thyroid pill. But it's worth a try!
I'm really wondering about my thyroid. When I first started 'juddd I went through a time like this with my sleep and I lost the weight rather quickly. Or it felt like that. And then I had my dr check my thyroid levels and I was then taking too much. So I wonder if it was acting more hyperthyroid than hypo. So she had me take 1 less pill a week. Now I'm wondering if the same thing is happening again. Not only is my sleep weird but I can eat SO much on my UDs. I'm sure if I was eating my normal calories I'd be losing. I'm talking 4000-5000. Although it has been high fat/low carb.
Think I'll get it checked when I come back from vacation.

Wow! Sorry for all the long posts. This is unusual for me!
Old 08-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

PJ- your such a good mom! My dh has taken my son to a couple concerts but I'm not sure I would. I probably just wouldn't let him go. Lucky for him my hubby likes the same music (rap) so it wasn't too hard to talk him into taking him. I just wish he would have taken me to Bon Jovi!!
Old 08-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Thanks PJ! I just read through the whole thread. Very interesting. I always was a breakfast eater. Even now on UDs. But I'm just trying to figure out how to get the protein in on DDs and hopefully not get hungry the rest of the day. I hope it's not totally based on 30 min after you wake. I have to wait at least 1 hour after taking my thyroid pill. But it's worth a try!
I've found that I'm okay (as far as sleep goes) even if I wait an hour or two.
And 30g of protein works for a lot of people.
30g isn't so hard to get, & it's only 120 calories.

Quote:
PJ- your such a good mom! My dh has taken my son to a couple concerts but I'm not sure I would. I probably just wouldn't let him go. Lucky for him my hubby likes the same music (rap) so it wasn't too hard to talk him into taking him. I just wish he would have taken me to Bon Jovi!!
Thank you!

Last edited by piratejenny; 08-05-2012 at 01:51 PM..
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #37

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Yes, PJ, you are a great Mom. Also...
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Yes she is.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you ladies, I appreciate it so much.
:')
Old 08-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
Start Date: March, 2009
That's true, sunshinegirl, there are many ways to work with JUDDD to meet our needs.

I'm finding all this very interesting. In several years on JUDDD, mostly at maintenance of course, I never attributed a sleep problem to DDs or thought I saw any pattern of good or bad sleep related to it. If anything, it was during the time I slipped up and stopped rotations that I had poor sleep, but I would think that was related to the upheaval and worry in my life at the time.
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: buttah
Stats: 189/137/136-140
WOE: peri-meno "corrective" R4
Start Date: LowCal/Dukan/JUDD 2/12-8/12, then 3 rounds rxHCG
I was just reading something on Robin Woodall's FB site - she's the author of Weight Loss Apocalypse, a book about the HCG diet and emotional eating, mostly about how HCG affects LEPTIN, and that it's Leptin regulation that helps with weight loss. (I'm probably going to try HCG with her methods in a few weeks, hence my reading it. Although it's interesting regardless, especially the emotional eating/hunger scale stuff.)

Anyway, on her site someone posted that they were fine during the day but having trouble sleeping. She wrote a lengthy response regarding sleep and Leptin that I thought I had saved... and didn't. ANYWAY, I do remember that her recommendation was to eat even a small bit of protein right before bed. So maybe if there's any way to save some calories for that, it might help?

I have had very bad sleep on the nights after DD's, which is why her response resonated. I only wish I'd saved it. You can't search a FB site discussion.

Last edited by buttah; 08-05-2012 at 08:40 PM..
buttah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:47 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Buttah- I'll look for that. I'm thinking if it's not my thyroid then it's the leptin thing.
Boy I'm learning so much. It is nice to be listening to my body and trying to figure out what it needs. Thanks to JUDDD and the great place to come learn from others!
Old 08-06-2012, 03:01 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning budds. Almost 4:00am and I've been up a couple hours!
I was reading what the signs are if your over medicated for your thyroid. A few things stood out to me.
-insomnia
-weightloss or eating ALOT and not gaining
-sensative to heat or cold
-thirsty

causes for overmedication
-change in what you eat such as not eating grains anymore so your body absorbs meds faster
-taking calcium at a different time which can cause slow absorption.

In the last few weeks I've stopped eating carbs. And I also started taking my calcium at night instead of the morning, if at all.

So it may have nothing to do with JUDDD but some of the other things I've changed.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:10 AM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Good morning budds. Almost 4:00am and I've been up a couple hours!
I was reading what the signs are if your over medicated for your thyroid. A few things stood out to me.
-insomnia
-weightloss or eating ALOT and not gaining
-sensative to heat or cold
-thirsty

causes for overmedication
-change in what you eat such as not eating grains anymore so your body absorbs meds faster
-taking calcium at a different time which can cause slow absorption.

In the last few weeks I've stopped eating carbs. And I also started taking my calcium at night instead of the morning, if at all.

So it may have nothing to do with JUDDD but some of the other things I've changed.
Very Interesting! I don't know if you have time for any reading on the effects of thyroid, cortisol & hormones. But this website is so wonderful!

https://eaware.org/thyroid-gland/

It is a non-profit group that Shelbyla introduced to me and I am amazed at how unknowledgeable I was and have been about my own battle with hypo and hormones. Lots of wishes for you to get this resolved!

Last edited by sunday; 08-06-2012 at 04:12 AM..
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:03 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you so much Sunday. I'm going to look at that while I'm on vacation.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:37 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LayMiz
Stats: 229/209/145; 5'4", 59yo
WOE: 4 #s on LC, rest on JUDDD
Start Date: Started JUDDD Apr. 16, 2012
I am one of those who are very sensitive to CO. Even when I only add 1 T. to coffee at about 7am, I still have trouble sleeping at night.
LayMiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, yesterday I ate breakfast and I got sleepy about 3 hours earlier than usual.
And I slept almost 9 hours straight! Without taking Benadryl or anything!

I don't *want* to need breakfast.

But I read the other day that not getting enough sleep can make insulin resistance/type 2 diabetes (and many other conditions) worse
--if not flat out cause them.

And I actually wasn't very hungry the rest of the day.
I had 2 snacks but not another meal.

Last edited by piratejenny; 08-06-2012 at 08:04 AM.. Reason: correction
Old 08-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

I'm back from vacation and wanted to give an update on my sleep. I went to bed about 4-5 hours later than I do at home and probably slept about 8 hours. If I woke in the night, I went back to sleep. Some of the things that were different than being at home:

-on DDs I only had my morning coffee with co and hwc and then had a large protein dinner.
-UDs were mostly protein. When at home I eat high fat.
-I didn't count calories on either day.
-not much electronic time. When I'm at home I watch tv quite a bit and am on my iPhone Internet most of the day. This is something that I'm wondering made a HUGE difference on my sleep?
Old 08-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

The down side is that I'm up about 7-8 lbs and I'm retaining water like crazy. The only other time I've retained water was when I was pregnant. Can that happen just from traveling?
Old 08-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #50

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
If you are eating more protein than your body needs for it's own tissue repair jobs, the rest will, basically, get converted into glucose.. *carb* fuel, so if that is the case, it can cause your body to store the excess fuel, along with the related water to store, in your tissues, just as Mother Nature designed. It may well be that your weight gain is all water, not body FAT.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:04 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
If you are eating more protein than your body needs for it's own tissue repair jobs, the rest will, basically, get converted into glucose.. *carb* fuel, so if that is the case, it can cause your body to store the excess fuel, along with the related water to store, in your tissues, just as Mother Nature designed. It may well be that your weight gain is all water, not body FAT.
I hope that's all it is! Today is a DD and I feel 'full'. I read that happened to yam yam on her first DD back from vacation too. Hopefully the weight comes off fast!
Old 08-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #52
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I don't know if you flew to and from your destination by airplane, but airplane travel makes my hands, feet and ankles swell. It takes a day for that to go down for me.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:25 AM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Just wanted to give an update. I am sleeping better!
I hope it stays this way but I think if it was hormones it's up in the air.
I did have my thyroid rechecked and my dr just said it's fine, keep doing what I'm doing. I have learned that she only tests tsh and from what I've been reading, that's only part of it. I'll be looking more into that.
I haven't been exercising much but I'm going to start up again next week. So I'll see if that makes a difference.
I'm not really sure what has made a difference but I'm sending to those still trying to sleep. I think it feels horrible!
Old 08-24-2012, 05:16 AM   #54
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I finally slept pretty well last night. I took a melatonin. I woke to TOM this morning. This is a mixed blessing. Glad you got some rest.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:09 AM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

I'm glad you did too!
Old 08-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #56

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Just wanted to give an update. I am sleeping better!
I hope it stays this way but I think if it was hormones it's up in the air.
I did have my thyroid rechecked and my dr just said it's fine, keep doing what I'm doing. I have learned that she only tests tsh and from what I've been reading, that's only part of it. I'll be looking more into that.
I haven't been exercising much but I'm going to start up again next week. So I'll see if that makes a difference.
I'm not really sure what has made a difference but I'm sending to those still trying to sleep. I think it feels horrible!
Janette, with the medication I'm on, my TSH is in normal ranges, but I insisted they run the whole panel and my T3 is below range. What this means, is that I have enough T4 running through my body because of the medication, but T3 is what converts it to something usable (if my understanding of the research is right). I'm stuck now at about 75% energy which is admittedly much better, but I still don't feel "well" and I haven't been able to find a doctor who will prescribe T3 for me~even with it documented that my T3 is below the reference range for the tests. It's very frustrating, but hopefully you can use my experience as a reason to insist on the whole Thyroid panel instead of just the TSH. I know on the Thyroid boards here, it's often mentioned that you can order your own testing and get the results sent to you. I think it's through healthcheckusa or something like that.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aeroangie
Stats: 159/159/130 anything
WOE: Low Carb + JUDDD
Start Date: 8/24/2012
I just finished this great thread! Wow.....lots of good info. I had to add also that if the cause of your thyroid problem is autoimmune like mine is (Hashimoto's) this causes fluctuations of thyroid hormones, and most notably at night! Apparently, this is when the thyroid tends to attack itself. If you haven't insisted your doc check your TPO antibodies, you don't know if this might be happening or not. Melatonin can actually make Hashimoto's worse in the for some reason, it brings on Hashi's thyroiditis attacks. So can flouride in teas, gluten, etc. Many thing cause it to "flare." If doc won't check it, it's not expensive to find out thru healthcheckusa is you are indeed positive for the antibodies. You really need to know if "war is going on" inside your body so you can avoid things that trigger the flare ups. Hope this helps!!
Aeroangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #58

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
My understanding is that the TPO test isn't 100% though, because it only registers if you're in a flare/attack period. You can have antibodies but if you're not actively attacking your thyroid when the blood draw happens, they'll be below range. So much to think about! Thanks for mentioning that, too, because it's an important test, if you can get it at the right time.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you Dawn and Angie.
Have you ever heard of anyone naturally fixing their thyroid? Is it true that you will always need the meds? Are there foods you can avoid that makes a difference? Maybe I can find a dr who can answer these questions And run the right tests and not just tell me to take a pill!
Can you tell I'm frustrated?
Old 08-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aeroangie
Stats: 159/159/130 anything
WOE: Low Carb + JUDDD
Start Date: 8/24/2012
TPO is what you need to know next. There aare some alternative treatments out there that say you can get off meds but if you wait until your thyroid is already destroyed thru the autoimmune process (body attacking itself - like RA and many other diseases where the body sees a particular organ as "foreign" and attacks itself!)

Google Dr. Alexander Haskell's videos and treatment protocol. He has excellent videos that will help you understand thyroid problems. I can't say though, I agree with everything he suggests, but it is rare that I agree entirely with anyone. He knows more than most western med. doctors though.

Also, google "Top thyroid docs" in your state and read the patient reviews.
Aeroangie is offline   Reply With Quote