Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Is there anything that has helped your arthritis?

Besides JUDDD, I mean.

(This came up in another thread. )

I don't have arthritis, myself, but have known several people (including my mother) who were helped by cutting out wheat. I know, probably not what anyone wants to hear.

In my mother's case, IIRC, she only had to cut out wheat, not all gluten.
And she could still eat it occasionally, but would have to "pay" the next day.
However, not eating it CONSTANTLY, 2 or 3 or more times a day, as people tend to do, made a huge difference.
(She lives on the other side of the country & we haven't discussed it recently.)

If you are looking for an anti-inflammatory, turmeric is my favorite. It is one of the most powerful things out there, by weight, and is quite affordable.

I find it rather bitter (but I'm a "super-taster", and a lot of things that other people like taste bitter to me), so I don't enjoy adding much to my food. I just take a straight spoonful and get it over with! I used to take it in water, but I have read that cooking it makes it more effective. So I cook 1/4c in about 1c water to make a paste, and take a spoonful of that--with a big chaser of water!!!

If it doesn't taste bitter to you, you can add it to a lot of foods--soup, beans, lentils, chili, rice. And eat more curry!!!

Oh, I just checked, and ginger has an even higher anti-inflammatory rating (they are very closely related, botanically). I thought it was the other way around...oops!

1 ounce turmeric (ground, dried): 6318
1 ounce ginger (ground, dried): 7718

Ginger might be easier to incorporate into your diet. I love hot ginger tea, and I even like slices of raw ginger in my water, lemonade, & iced tea!
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I use ginger a lot, but generally fresh. I do use turmeric in my curries, but although we eat at least one a week, that wouldn't be much turmeric. I should look at that Golden Milk? recipe again.

My arthritic knee did improve initially on JUDDD but I then injured it during a Zumba class and although I have rested it for a couple of months it is now very stiff as well as painful.

Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:16 PM   #3

Okay I will be a turmeric guinea pig. I will do my best to use it on UDs anyway.

I really prefer fresh ginger to the powder....

When I lived in India and the Far East we used fresh turmeric root too.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #4

Gallery: toomuchbooty
I don't have arthritis but I have a Rheum. appointment in December to talk about my pain issues. It's probably fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue.

I have cut out wheat, but not gluten. I'm also not one to avoid a tiny amount, but I never make wheat the main event any more. I do feel better, less fatigue. However, I am still having some soreness.
toomuchbooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Fresh ginger is great, I just couldn't find info on fresh turmeric to compare.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #6

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I have arthritis in hands, spine and left knee. And I am diagnosed with fibromyalgia by my rheumatologist.

I follow JUDDD and exercise almost daily. I have not found one speck of difference in eating wheat or cutting it out completely for several weeks, and happily, I don't have much pain at all anymore. The biggest thing that does affect me is falling barometric pressure! I can be completely free of pain for the first hours of the day and then within minutes pain sets in my back, and I say, "Well, the front edge of the invisible mass of low pressure just arrived"... Doing experiments of elimination of foods for two weeks, or more, at a time has never revealed a single food that seems to cause any increase in my pain levels, but JUDDD and regular good exercise has worked a miracle!!! I always just thought it must be from all the hours in the fasted state that did away with so much of the previous inflammation.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GrannyPants
Stats: Weigh 2 much Age 53
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: June 19 2012
Oh... I really like the candied ginger. I would drop a small piece in my tea to sweeten and flavor it a bit, then eat it when I finished the tea. I figured if I was going to eat sweets it might as well be a healthy sweet.
-----------
Mere
GrannyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #8

Oh, and my rheumatologist has me on 5000 units of Vitamin D3, and that has also been something that helped with fibro pain.. don't have flairs of that much this last couple of years either.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GrannyPants
Stats: Weigh 2 much Age 53
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: June 19 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
The biggest thing that does affect me is falling barometric pressure! I can be completely free of pain for the first hours of the day and then within minutes pain sets in my back, and I say, "Well, the front edge of the invisible mass of low pressure just arrived"...
I used to get sinus headaches when a storm was a few hundred miles away. Now I just get headaches as I've fixed the sinus problem.
Those changes in pressure I can feel in my head, knees, ankles and everywhere I've ever injured on my body.
Even fast changes in altitude as in driving up and down hills bother my ears.

I guess I'm just a sensitive person

-------
Mere
GrannyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
Start Date: March, 2009
Let me interject one caution.

Quote:
Turmeric can make gallbladder problems worse. Don’t use turmeric if you have gallstones or a bile duct obstruction.
Above quote from Tumeric (TURMERIC: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD) WebMD, but I have read this several places and it is why I don't take tumeric. I do have one gallstone, although the dr says it is no problem and there's no reason to operate. I just don't want to find out I have made things worse in any way.
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, whenever I bring up turmeric, I also like to mention that it's a blood thinner. This can be contraindicated for some people.

Everyone should avoid turmeric for a few days before any surgery or dental work.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:40 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: divinemsm54
Stats: 254/173/150
WOE: JUDDD, mod. carb, HCG
Start Date: 7/15/12
Howdy fellow creaky jointers! I have osteo and a form of rheumatoid associated with psoriasis (oh flaky joy!), as well as plantar fasciitis and some tendonitis--I am all itised up, tee hee. I've tried bunches of stuff, and have had some luck with the Anti-Inflammatory diet of Pagano's, but ultimately dumped it because of how restrictive I found it. I just ordered some curcumin extract (the thing in turmeric that's anti-i) and will keep you posted if it does anything. I REALLY wanna get by with no tylenol or prescription NSAIDs.

I'm also interested in hearing what anyone thinks of "Leaky Gut Syndrome" as a factor in inflammation. I also ordered probiotics and digestive enzymes, on the off chance that it's a real thing causing me lots of inflammation--any thoughts/experiences healing a leaky gut helping with that?
--leaking, creaking and flaking ,
patty
divinemsm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by divinemsm54 View Post
Howdy fellow creaky jointers! I have osteo and a form of rheumatoid associated with psoriasis (oh flaky joy!), as well as plantar fasciitis and some tendonitis--I am all itised up, tee hee. I've tried bunches of stuff, and have had some luck with the Anti-Inflammatory diet of Pagano's, but ultimately dumped it because of how restrictive I found it. I just ordered some curcumin extract (the thing in turmeric that's anti-i) and will keep you posted if it does anything. I REALLY wanna get by with no tylenol or prescription NSAIDs.

I'm also interested in hearing what anyone thinks of "Leaky Gut Syndrome" as a factor in inflammation. I also ordered probiotics and digestive enzymes, on the off chance that it's a real thing causing me lots of inflammation--any thoughts/experiences healing a leaky gut helping with that?
--leaking, creaking and flaking ,
patty
Hi Patty,
I do believe that leaky gut causes inflammation. I am living proof. I was treated for Leaky Gut last year. I had to do a bunch of things to get rid of candida and used DE for removing parasites and bad bacteria. After all of that, I had to do a healing process with L-glutamine (huge amounts) probiotics, and slippery elm, etc etc. Lots of supplements. It is a long process. I am not sure if it is healed now or not, but I know I am not hurting. My arthritis is secondary to an autoimmune disorder and it was so bad I had to have a disability parking card and could only walk a little bit before my spine and legs and back would ache so bad I couldn't go on. With JUDDD and the process I went through, I am 99% better. I am so pleased to be able to walk up and down the steps many times a day with one foot on each step and not hanging on to the rail to pull me up. I can't attribute it to any one thing because I was doing lots of interventions all at the same time, but the root of this was leaky gut. I was on prednisone and antibiotics at high doses for years and they said this contributed to the problem. I did cut out wheat as much as I possibly can and for me, it does make a difference. If I get wheat in my diet now, I can tell the next day because of pain in my index finger joints. That is the first place the pain returns. HTH!
Old 08-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Beverly, after going through all that AND losing a phenomenal amount of weight, it is no wonder your body needs time to regroup and heal and just plain rest for awhile! Tears of joy for you walking up and down stairs like someone who never visits a doctor or worries about what that extra chip is going to do.

Mere, I am 100% with you. A few mornings ago I could not stop sneezing and grabbing tissues, and my arthritic finger ached like it has not in months...then, hours later, far up the valley black storm clouds rose and rose and thundered towards me (yes, I have a fantastic mountain view), the barometric pressure did whatever it does when temps drop 20 degrees, hail storms attack, deluges uproot all my new shrubs, and I suddenly felt just fine.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: divinemsm54
Stats: 254/173/150
WOE: JUDDD, mod. carb, HCG
Start Date: 7/15/12
Wow Beverly, that's amazing news--how great you were able to figure it out and heal yourself! I hadn't heard about L-glutamine before, I'm gonna run off and research that. I also have autoimmune disorder and would LOVE to get off the scary drug that's beating up my liver I'm on to keep things in check. I periodically toy with giving up wheat, I'm going to track and see if my body reacts when I eat it. Your story gives me hope!
--patty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
Hi Patty,
I do believe that leaky gut causes inflammation. I am living proof. I was treated for Leaky Gut last year. I had to do a bunch of things to get rid of candida and used DE for removing parasites and bad bacteria. After all of that, I had to do a healing process with L-glutamine (huge amounts) probiotics, and slippery elm, etc etc. Lots of supplements. It is a long process. I am not sure if it is healed now or not, but I know I am not hurting. My arthritis is secondary to an autoimmune disorder and it was so bad I had to have a disability parking card and could only walk a little bit before my spine and legs and back would ache so bad I couldn't go on. With JUDDD and the process I went through, I am 99% better. I am so pleased to be able to walk up and down the steps many times a day with one foot on each step and not hanging on to the rail to pull me up. I can't attribute it to any one thing because I was doing lots of interventions all at the same time, but the root of this was leaky gut. I was on prednisone and antibiotics at high doses for years and they said this contributed to the problem. I did cut out wheat as much as I possibly can and for me, it does make a difference. If I get wheat in my diet now, I can tell the next day because of pain in my index finger joints. That is the first place the pain returns. HTH!
divinemsm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Wow Beverly, that's amazing news--how great you were able to figure it out and heal yourself! I hadn't heard about L-glutamine before, I'm gonna run off and research that. I also have autoimmune disorder and would LOVE to get off the scary drug that's beating up my liver I'm on to keep things in check. I periodically toy with giving up wheat, I'm going to track and see if my body reacts when I eat it. Your story gives me hope!
--patty
Patty- there is hope. I just dread though when something happens where I have to go on a course of antibiotics. Like right now, there is an infection in my tooth where I had a root canal and I am going to need antibiotics again. I am so fearful that this will start things off again. So I am very careful to take my probiotics now.

The L-glutamine has been a godsend for me. I take it only in powdered form. Capsules go right through me. I take about 7 grams 3x a day. It is very healing for the gut and has other benefits as well. Oh and I also take milk thistle and NAC to support my liver due to the heavy duty drugs I took like Remicade and steroids. I will always take that. I always include artichoke, cabbage, brussel sprouts and fermented foods like Bubbie's sauerkraut, kefir, and kim chi as those are great ways to build up the good bacteria in the gut.

I kept a diary when I ate wheat to watch my joint pain several days after eating wheat. This was after I had cleaned wheat out of my system for a few weeks. When I had cleared it out and then tested it, the joint pain was apparent. I did not want it to be so. I LOVE bread. And I don't like subbing gluten free flours as they are so high glycemic.

It is a long process with lots of trial and error, but at least I know I am on the right road. I was so incredibly sick. I feel like a new person now and hope it continues! Best wishes to you too.

Nancy- thanks for your supportive words!!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I hadn't heard about L-glutamine before, I'm gonna run off and research that.
--patty
We discussed l-glutamine here, if you're interested &/or want to bump the thread:
Secret DD weapon: L-Glutamine?
Old 08-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jodeeras
Stats: 174 / 160.0 / 115
Start Date: 12/1/11 Atkins; 5/8/12 JUDDD
I love bread - but it doesn't love me.

Many years ago I discovered that whenever I ate bagels (which I love) I'd get killer heartburn. I also noticed that I would retain water - big dents in my legs and a general feeling of bloat. When I cut out bread - or at least the regular use of bread, my heartburn and water retention disappeared. When I told the doctor about this, she looked at me like I was nuts.

A couple of years back I developed tennis elbow (which is a form of arthritis?) in my left arm. It was quite painful - even when I slept. Last December I started following the Atkins diet. It disappeared and has not returned.

I find that following JUDDD and limiting my bread consumption has helped my pain.

Start Date: 12/1/2011 (Atkins)
Start Weight: 174 lbs. (12/1/11 - Atkins)
Start Date: 155.5 (5/8/2012 JUDDD)
Restart Weight: 161.5 lbs. (4/1/2013)
CW: 160.0 lbs.
jodeeras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodeeras View Post
I love bread - but it doesn't love me.

Many years ago I discovered that whenever I ate bagels (which I love) I'd get killer heartburn. I also noticed that I would retain water - big dents in my legs and a general feeling of bloat. When I cut out bread - or at least the regular use of bread, my heartburn and water retention disappeared. When I told the doctor about this, she looked at me like I was nuts.

A couple of years back I developed tennis elbow (which is a form of arthritis?) in my left arm. It was quite painful - even when I slept. Last December I started following the Atkins diet. It disappeared and has not returned.

I find that following JUDDD and limiting my bread consumption has helped my pain.
Wheat is one of the Big Eight (or however many..) food allergies folks might experience, and I think many have sensitivities to some of these foods, even if they aren't up to the level of outright allergy. So while we may be sensitive to shellfish, for example, instead of actually deathly allergic to it, we don't eat it that regularly, so aren't actually bothered by it all that much. Once-in-awhile a shrimp dinner, maybe once-in-awhile a bit of belly ache from it, but that's all. But if we have any sensitivity to wheat, that's an everyday sort of food for most people, in their daily bread and so much more, so they aren't ever getting away from it unless they just cut all of the many foods that include wheat as an ingredient.

I went through several years of sensitivity to eggs many, many years ago and experienced such a belly ache whenever I had eggs for breakfast, etc. And strangely enough, that all went away. Maybe it was from gallbladder instead? Got that puppy out when I was mid 30's and no trouble since...
Old 08-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: C'Marie
Stats: 270/down 110-ish/ goal 147
WOE: hCG Rx shots/JUDDD maintain
Start Date: 1/4/2010 Now R9 P2
Beverly, your previous post where you have the handicapped card for the car is just like me. Could I have more details on what you did or an idea of what to search for? I haven't been "diagnosed" with leaky gut but wonder about that.

Since I have been basically on an elimination diet from doing hcg and lost 100 pounds since early 2010 lots and lots of my overall symptoms have been better, but the achyness is still there in spades, some days worse than others. I was so sore all over that even if someone bumped up against me it was incredibly painful, sore boobs, sore muscles everywhere.... now it's more just in several of the joints and specifically in the left hip/glute/periformis and muscle weakness. I have hip dysplasia (like dogs get LOL) so I am going to try a homeopathic arthritis remedy that they use on dogs and horses with some good success (the people one, LOL) because I figure animals can't be influenced by placebo effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
Patty- there is hope. I just dread though when something happens where I have to go on a course of antibiotics. Like right now, there is an infection in my tooth where I had a root canal and I am going to need antibiotics again. I am so fearful that this will start things off again. So I am very careful to take my probiotics now.

The L-glutamine has been a godsend for me. I take it only in powdered form. Capsules go right through me. I take about 7 grams 3x a day. It is very healing for the gut and has other benefits as well. Oh and I also take milk thistle and NAC to support my liver due to the heavy duty drugs I took like Remicade and steroids. I will always take that. I always include artichoke, cabbage, brussel sprouts and fermented foods like Bubbie's sauerkraut, kefir, and kim chi as those are great ways to build up the good bacteria in the gut.

I kept a diary when I ate wheat to watch my joint pain several days after eating wheat. This was after I had cleaned wheat out of my system for a few weeks. When I had cleared it out and then tested it, the joint pain was apparent. I did not want it to be so. I LOVE bread. And I don't like subbing gluten free flours as they are so high glycemic.

It is a long process with lots of trial and error, but at least I know I am on the right road. I was so incredibly sick. I feel like a new person now and hope it continues! Best wishes to you too.

Nancy- thanks for your supportive words!!

HCG Rx to lose - JUDDD to maintain
C'Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
I went through several years of sensitivity to eggs many, many years ago and experienced such a belly ache whenever I had eggs for breakfast, etc. And strangely enough, that all went away. Maybe it was from gallbladder instead? Got that puppy out when I was mid 30's and no trouble since...
Pat, I developed an allergy to eggs after I'd been on Atkins a few years. I kept getting sick a few hours after breakfast, but not every day. After about three weeks, I traced it back to the days I ate eggs. I stopped eating them (except for small amounts cooked into other foods), and after about a year I was able to introduce them again. At the time, I found research that showed this is not uncommon. You can develop an allergy at any time to anything, and most people that are sensitive to eggs are sensitive to the protein in the whites. Abstaining for awhile sometimes "resets" the body and those foods can be successfully re-introduced. I'm sure grateful I could eat eggs again. They're a staple of my diet! Especially DDs!
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ok, I've gone and read the L glutamine thread, and found some to order. What about d-ribose? I had read people saying it helped with inflammation in the muscles, what about joints? Any idea about that one? Of course, I realize I'm considering once again doing so many things at once I won't have any idea what helps! ARG!
Old 08-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredhead View Post
Pat, I developed an allergy to eggs after I'd been on Atkins a few years. I kept getting sick a few hours after breakfast, but not every day. After about three weeks, I traced it back to the days I ate eggs. I stopped eating them (except for small amounts cooked into other foods), and after about a year I was able to introduce them again. At the time, I found research that showed this is not uncommon. You can develop an allergy at any time to anything, and most people that are sensitive to eggs are sensitive to the protein in the whites. Abstaining for awhile sometimes "resets" the body and those foods can be successfully re-introduced. I'm sure grateful I could eat eggs again. They're a staple of my diet! Especially DDs!
OK, this was very interesting to me. I eat eggs now just fine, and thankfully, because I love eggs often for breakfast (whites only on some DDs) and LOVE deviled eggs, which we have pretty often in the summertime. Somehow they seem like summer and picnic food.

Thanks for the info.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I'm a little late to the party, but I've taken curcumin (stronger form of tumeric), fish oil, vitamin D, and other things to help my pain issues. Reducing inflammation is really my goal. L-glutamine is helpful as well. I can't think of anything else at the moment... I have psoriasis, and a few bad discs (lots of nerve pain). Probably have fibro, but haven't gone to the doc for it. I also have thyroid issues.

I don't really eliminate too many foods, besides ones that I came up allergic to on a skin test (blood test says I'm not allergic to anything). I avoid peanuts, shellfish, turkey, apples (mostly), and oats. It is difficult, as oats seem to be in anything considered "healthy." (I do miss my 12 grain bread!) I have noticed a difference when I eat one of the "forbidden" foods. I have not done any elimination diets though. I also drink almond milk with my cereal - I find that I have a hard time digesting milk (fine with cheese though - even ice cream) and it seems to create more cravings.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #25
KOO

Gallery: KOO
Stats: Starting 183(2/06)now below....
WOE: Hcg 9/12/12...142.5/134/130
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Besides JUDDD, I mean.

(This came up in another thread. )

I don't have arthritis, myself, but have known several people (including my mother) who were helped by cutting out wheat. I know, probably not what anyone wants to hear.

In my mother's case, IIRC, she only had to cut out wheat, not all gluten.
And she could still eat it occasionally, but would have to "pay" the next day.
However, not eating it CONSTANTLY, 2 or 3 or more times a day, as people tend to do, made a huge difference.
(She lives on the other side of the country & we haven't discussed it recently.)

If you are looking for an anti-inflammatory, turmeric is my favorite. It is one of the most powerful things out there, by weight, and is quite affordable.

I find it rather bitter (but I'm a "super-taster", and a lot of things that other people like taste bitter to me), so I don't enjoy adding much to my food. I just take a straight spoonful and get it over with! I used to take it in water, but I have read that cooking it makes it more effective. So I cook 1/4c in about 1c water to make a paste, and take a spoonful of that--with a big chaser of water!!!

If it doesn't taste bitter to you, you can add it to a lot of foods--soup, beans, lentils, chili, rice. And eat more curry!!!

Oh, I just checked, and ginger has an even higher anti-inflammatory rating (they are very closely related, botanically). I thought it was the other way around...oops!

1 ounce turmeric (ground, dried): 6318
1 ounce ginger (ground, dried): 7718

Ginger might be easier to incorporate into your diet. I love hot ginger tea, and I even like slices of raw ginger in my water, lemonade, & iced tea!
I am disappointed to hear it is bitter. I have been wanting to try making turmeric chicken after seeing a couple of different recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitlin' View Post
Let me interject one caution.

Above quote from Tumeric (TURMERIC: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD) WebMD, but I have read this several places and it is why I don't take tumeric. I do have one gallstone, although the dr says it is no problem and there's no reason to operate. I just don't want to find out I have made things worse in any way.
Hmm, I do have gallstones so will have to remember this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Oh, whenever I bring up turmeric, I also like to mention that it's a blood thinner. This can be contraindicated for some people.

Everyone should avoid turmeric for a few days before any surgery or dental work.
I already take a baby aspirin everyday to avoid a second bloodclot, so I guess between the gallstones and this, I'd best forget that chicken recipe.
KOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOO View Post
I am disappointed to hear it is bitter. I have been wanting to try making turmeric chicken after seeing a couple of recipes.
I was talking about taking therapeutic amounts,
and having to add it to food all day, every day, to get enough.
It's good in recipes...and often it's only enough to add a nice color.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:21 AM   #27

No problem in a recipe. The amounts would not interfere with your meds I am sure.

Well.....I have been enjoying (yes, really!) the DE for 5 or 6 days now and my bad knee is not hurting at all at night, which is just amazing. I have done no hard exercise for a couple of months so it has been rested, but this is very, very nice. Not sure yet if it is the DE, but it is a blessing.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:18 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/113.5/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
What is the DE?
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:19 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

DE=Diatomaceous earth

Silica supplementation (diatomaceous earth)
Old 08-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just checking back on any news
Ordered my homeopath remedy and will be the guinea pig.