Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 03:36 AM   #1021
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
That's me too Colleen, this is til death us do part.

This morning, a DD, I was a bit rumbly and realised I hadn't taken my morning cocktail of supplements. Now, 20 mins later all is calm.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2014, 11:16 AM   #1022
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 5'7" 330/236/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
I tried the ptero awhile back along with resveratrol, didn't really notice any change.

After reading through this thread, I don't think I was taking enough. I'm digging out the bottle and popping 3 50 mg capsules first thing upon waking.

I'm not having much trouble sticking to my food plan, but after reading its also good for anti-aging and energy, I'm willing to give it a new try. I think we would all agree that Kissa is a fantastic example of this!
JayLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:09 PM   #1023

It is interesting but it seems the 150 is brilliant for most people. We all started out with the 50 but now I get the 150 from Doctor site.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:26 PM   #1024
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLynn View Post
I tried the ptero awhile back along with resveratrol, didn't really notice any change.

After reading through this thread, I don't think I was taking enough. I'm digging out the bottle and popping 3 50 mg capsules first thing upon waking.

I'm not having much trouble sticking to my food plan, but after reading its also good for anti-aging and energy, I'm willing to give it a new try. I think we would all agree that Kissa is a fantastic example of this!
Same here. After reading this thread about 10 days ago, I decided that only taking 50 mgs the first time around must not have been enough. So, I've been taking 2 of the capsules per day. Today I took 3 for 150 mg and will do that from now on. I also took some time to read through customer reviews on the amazon site and noted all the anti-aging benefits cited. It's a motivator to take that daily dose for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
It is interesting but it seems the 150 is brilliant for most people. We all started out with the 50 but now I get the 150 from Doctor site.
I'm taking your word for it, Cindy! You are definitely a great example for what we would all like to achieve and maintain. So, I'm in for the 150 per day and just gonna believe that it's working. Seems like nothing to lose if there are no bade side effects. And, I sure have not experienced any so far.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:06 AM   #1025
Blabbermouth!!!

I started a thread about time of day.

I'm experimenting with taking some of the Ptero in the A.M. and one at bed time.

If it's a sirtuin activator, and that's what I'm after (which is is!) then I want it working through the night as well.

I took one last night just before bed time. I woke up un-hungry even though yesterday was a pretty high carb UD for me. Usually when that happens I wake up really hungry.

Wonder if that little capsule helped? Hard to tell, but I'm elated about the possibility of having another relatively easy DD.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:09 AM   #1026

I answered in the other thread. But that is interesting that you didn't wake up hungry. I never do, have never fancied breakfast, but a lot of JBs do and this could help.

I don't have any of the 50s left any longer, only 150s but as I say, for me, waking hunger isn't an issue...

All good info.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:18 AM   #1027
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: HW164/137.8/135-139
Like Cindy, I don't have any hunger issues when waking.

I don't eat until about noon or later, and that's good on DDs, but sometimes presents a problem on UDs, so I try to eat calorie-dense foods.

I've been taking the ptero on both UDs and DDs! We were away before the Holidays and I didn't take it, and my energy level suffered!
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:37 AM   #1028

Lovely to see you Gracie, I love the Avi! Glad things are good.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:44 AM   #1029
Blabbermouth!!!

Beautiful avi, Gracie! I take the Ptero every day now. Seriously I feel less hungry and more peppy. Hard to know how much of that is a placebo effect, right? BUT! Many months ago when I tried it I was only taking 50mg per day and ....... nothin'. I felt nothin. So I stopped taking it.

Could be that 150-200 is the magic mg number? I think I'll keep buying the 50mg capsules. That way I have flexibility to go up or down as I stay tuned in to my body.

For now, I'll keep taking one at bed time when I remember.

I usually don't find it hard at all to skip breakfast and even lunch. The one exception is if I have lots of carbs the day/evening before or if I have wine the evening of an UD. Then I wake up really hungry complete with tummy growls.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #1030
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Interesting article

I ordered some 100mg pteros from the US way before Christmas and they still haven't arrived, so I hope they haven't vanished into some black hole at UK customs over the holidays. I'm rapidly going through my 50s so I hope they get here soon or I'll have to buy some the expensive way to tide me over!

I intend to experiment with taking 150mg pure ptero on DDs and 100mg ptero with resveratrol on UDs. I'll let you know how it goes.

I found this article today. It's from Life Extension magazine in 2009. (Apologies if it's already been posted here.)

The “Other” Resveratrol
A Novel Method to Simulate the Genetic Effects of Caloric Restriction
By Tiesha D. Johnson, RN, BSN

Scientists have discovered a plant extract related to resveratrol that mimics many of the beneficial effects of caloric restriction. This natural compound favorably regulates genes involved in the development of cancer, atherosclerosis, diabetes, and the system-wide inflammation that underlies a variety of age-related disorders.

Pterostilbene (terro-STILL-bean), found in blueberries, grapes, and in the bark of the Indian Kino Tree, has been used for centuries in Ayurvedic medicine. Pterostilbene and resveratrol are both stilbene compounds, closely related structurally, which gives them similar but not identical functions. Researchers have found that these two compounds work in a synergistic fashion to activate one’s “longevity genes.”

Pterostilbene produces its beneficial effects on gene expression in ways that enhance those produced by resveratrol. That is why pterostilbene functions particularly well when combined with resveratrol.

This article first examines the unique ways in which pterostilbene simulates conditions produced by caloric restriction. Then it will describe how these effects translate into a broader spectrum of benefits than otherwise provided by resveratrol alone.

Pterostilbene and Gene Expression: The Key to Longer Life

You’re probably used to thinking of genes as fixed units of hereditary information that determine physical characteristics like hair and eye color.

Scientists now know that you can change the messages your genes transmit to your body. This process is known as gene expression. It occurs when stimuli from within or outside your body switch certain genes “on” or “off.” Switching on protective genes or switching off harmful ones (modulating gene expression) is one of the most exciting areas of medical research.

Calorie restriction turns on genes directly related to long term survival. This includes genes that reduce the activity of certain cancer-promoting agents, genes that induce programmed death of cancer cells, and genes that confer neuroprotection.1

The incredible news is that many of the same genes that confer a longer life span can be favorably modulated with plant extracts such as resveratrol and pterostilbene.

How Pterostilbene and Resveratrol Work Together

Scientists have found that resveratrol activates genes near the beginning of the molecular cascade precipitated by caloric restriction. These in turn activate a broad array of disease-preventing genes. In essence, resveratrol’s beneficial genetic action takes place “upstream.”

Pterostilbene directly activates genes “downstream” from the sites of resveratrol’s action. This complements resveratrol’s ability to help prevent cancer and diabetes, and support healthy blood lipids. Acting together, resveratrol and pterostilbene produce potent longevity-promoting effects across the cycle of gene expression through complementary mechanisms.

How Pterostilbene Mimics Caloric Restriction

It’s truly remarkable how closely pterostilbene can mimic the beneficial effects of calorie restriction on a molecular level. Calorie restriction directly suppresses cancer-causing genes while up-regulating genes that suppress cancer development.1-21 In numerous studies pterostilbene modulates exactly the same genes, up-regulating those that stimulate the programmed cell death known as apoptosis, and down-regulating those that allow cancer cells to invade and metastasize.22-31

Calorie restriction changes expression of genes throughout the metabolic process. It increases activity of powerful fat-sensing complexes that lower blood lipids and sugar levels.32-35 Pterostilbene naturally activates these same fat-sensing complexes and was found to favorably affect lipid profiles in hamsters with elevated cholesterol.36,37

In the liver, calorie restriction favorably modifies several vital glucose-regulating enzymes, which helps to control blood sugar.38 Pterostilbene produces identical beneficial changes in many of those enzymes. It also reduces markers of dangerous glucose-damaged proteins (glycosylated hemoglobin).39

Calorie restriction dramatically reduces production of inflammatory mediators linked to age-related conditions such as atherosclerosis, chronic inflammatory diseases, and even cognitive decline.8,40-51 At the level of gene expression, pterostilbene exerts virtually identical effects, suppressing those same genes in studies of inflammation-related conditions.23,31,52-54 And like calorie restriction, pterostilbene up-regulates specific brain proteins associated with improved memory.55,56

Cancer Chemoprevention

There’s growing evidence that pterostilbene provides chemoprevention by many routes. Pterostilbene has powerful antioxidant capacity equivalent to resveratrol, and its anti-inflammatory actions help it block the inflammation/cancer connection.57 In addition, pterostilbene inhibited the growth of highly malignant human melanoma cells and prevented metastatic spread of those cells to the liver in laboratory animals. It thus enhanced survival.27

As with so many nutraceuticals, pterostilbene achieved this dramatic effect by multiple mechanisms. It inhibits production of molecules that cancer cells use to “stick” to vessel walls, and also makes them vulnerable to immune-system destruction.

Other mechanisms include: blocking enzymes that activate carcinogens;58,59 up-regulating pro-apoptotic activity in highly resistant leukemia cells (while showing no toxicity at all to normal blood-forming cells);29 blocking metastatic spread of aggressive and invasive human breast cancer cells;25 and enhancing nitric oxide-induced cell death in human melanoma.28

At the whole-organism level, pterostilbene suppresses formation of pre-cancerous cells in the colons of carcinogen-exposed animals.60 More excitingly, pterostilbene and quercetin dramatically enhanced elimination by radiation and chemotherapy treatment of implanted colon cancers.54 Cancer cells communicate with each other across special connectors called gap junctions. Pterostilbene disrupts those gap junctions, thereby interfering with inter-cellular communication that cancers need to direct their renegade growth.60-61 Disruption of gap junctions is a mechanism that appears to be truly unique to pterostilbene, one not shared by other chemopreventive or chemotherapy agents. Clearly there’s substance to the recent conclusion by Korean cancer researchers that “pterostilbene may be a functional chemopreventative agent and that dietary exposure of pterostilbene would be helpful for improving health.” 24

Cognition and Memory

Both resveratrol and pterostilbene have remarkable effects on learning and memory. Pterostilbene was the most efficacious of a group of resveratrol-like compounds at preventing loss of the neurotransmitter dopamine from memory centers in aged rats.62 Supplementation with pterostilbene reversed cognitive behavioral deficits. This study showed working memory function was correlated with levels of pterostilbene in the hippocampus, a key brain location where memory is processed.

A closer look reveals yet again the astonishing correspondence between pterostilbene and caloric restriction on gene expression. Supplementation with blueberries (one of the richest sources of pterostilbene) improved performance of aged animals in working memory after just three weeks.55 The improvement was closely correlated with activation of a brain-signaling protein in the hippocampus. Improvement in memory performance was just recently shown to be another direct result of caloric restriction!56 Improved spatial memory during times of low food availability might be a very appropriate adaptive response, making animals more efficient at locating scarce food resources. If so, then pterostilbene’s ability to mimic these fundamental changes in brain chemistry is a powerful modern take on an ancient survival mechanism.

Pterostilbene affects gene expression similarly to caloric restriction in multiple ways … all key in the battle against age-related disease. A more in-depth report about pterostilbene’s many health benefits will be included in the February 2010 edition of Life Extension Magazine®.
Summary

In the words of Dr. Agnes M. Rimando, a leading expert in the biology of the stilbenes (resveratrol, pterostilbene, and related compounds): “Stilbenes have diverse pharmacological activities, which include cancer prevention, a cholesterol-lowering effect, enhanced insulin sensitivity, and increased life span.”63

What is so exciting to modern researchers is the way in which both resveratrol and pterostilbene achieve these benefits by mimicking the actions of caloric restriction, which produces similar effects on gene expression.

Even more exciting is the series of discoveries showing that resveratrol and pterostilbene produce similar results by acting at different locations in the control of gene expression. This means that these two phytonutrients likely complement one another in increasing both the quantity and the quality of life. Along with responsible calorie control and exercise, both belong in the regimens of people who are serious about improving health and longevity.

How Much Pterostilbene Do You Need?

Pterostilbene is found in minute quantities in certain plant foods. A typical cup of blueberries, for example, contains only about 20 mcg of pterostilbene.

Even in these tiny amounts, pterostilbene is believed to provide some of the benefits related to ingesting these healthy foods.

Like resveratrol, in order to significantly impact one’s health, it is desirable to consume more pterostilbene than what one would normally obtain from dietary sources.

A dose of 125–500 micrograms of pterostilbene provides an amount of this nutrient comparable to consuming from five to twenty cups of blueberries every day!

Research is underway to determine the optimal dose of pterostilbene for health benefits. Gene expression studies in animal models with pterostilbene show favorable effects upon similar genes up-regulated by calorie restriction. Similar to resveratrol, a close chemical ‘cousin’ of pterostilbene, higher concentrations of pterostilbene may be necessary for optimal effects in gene expression studies.1 A dose of 3 mg a day of pterostilbene provides the equivalent of eating over 140 cups of blueberries each day. These super-high potency pterostilbene formulas are expected to soon become available as dietary supplements.

The good news is that pterostilbene provides so much biological activity in a relatively small dose, that it is being added to resveratrol and other supplement formulas today without significantly affecting the cost to the consumer.

Last edited by Flossyliz; 01-06-2014 at 12:23 PM..
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #1031
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mafiamom
Stats: 5'2" 131.7 (4/21/14)
WOE: JUDDD 1810/350
Start Date: 10/15/13
interesting about taking one at night. a little nervous to do that as i THINK it might give me energy. hard to tell tho, i would have to experiment a bit with that.
mafiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:47 PM   #1032

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Thanks for that very interesting article, FlossyLiz. I am curious if anyone has "decided" what the optimum dosage of pterostilbene is yet.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:56 PM   #1033
Blabbermouth!!!

Flossy: Thank you for the great article. Wow. What a great read. Very exciting and motivational.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:00 PM   #1034

Brilliant article, sent it to a friend of mine I persuaded to use both of these. Now I want to take more... no, no, no.

Thanks Flossyliz.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:02 AM   #1035
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: giggles4me
Stats: 160/135/125
WOE: JUDDD / low carb
Start Date: 8/16/2014
just ordered my first bottle. will see how it goes, I have taken on 10 pounds in the last few months. Really need to get them off. Back to Juddd as well.
giggles4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:22 PM   #1036

Good plan Jeanne...
Old 01-08-2014, 06:01 AM   #1037
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: giggles4me
Stats: 160/135/125
WOE: JUDDD / low carb
Start Date: 8/16/2014
Resveratrol, where do you purchase this one? I got the Pterostilbene from amazon. I should get it tomorrow.
giggles4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:08 AM   #1038

I am in the UK so no help to you really. I looked on the big river site and chose the best for my buck.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #1039
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Our Costco carries it so I get it there. Big river site as Kissa calls it or the vitamin place we have been talking about on the ptero thread should carry it.
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:09 PM   #1040

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by giggles4me View Post
Resveratrol, where do you purchase this one? I got the Pterostilbene from amazon. I should get it tomorrow.
I got my resveratrol from the Walgreen's down the street. Also, bought my first bottle of ptero there too.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:16 AM   #1041
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/131/120
WOE: Low-carb Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
Late to the party

OK I know I'm a bit late to the party so to speak but I am starting pterostilbene today.

I am going to start out with 50 mg this morning (it's a DownDay) and see how it goes. Will post anything notable later today.
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:32 AM   #1042
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cuttie99
Stats: 5'2 171
WOE: post hcg, lost 60lbs
Start Date: Juddd 4/30, restarted 11/30
hello the appetite supression still works at 50mg for me. my only issue is battling the "emotional eating" aspect. just cant seem to stay on track. if I get stressed I over eat. at least I am maintaining very well
cuttie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:33 PM   #1043
Blabbermouth!!!

I think it's been about 2 weeks now that I've been taking 150 mg per day in the morning. (I tried taking one at night before bed but just can't remember to do it on a regular basis.)

I'm really pleased with the results and think it's making a big difference with appetite suppression.

Planning to keep taking it!
Old 01-16-2014, 07:15 AM   #1044
Senior LCF Member

Just started a few days ago. So far only taking 50mg.

I was less hungry for my DD yesterday, so that's something. I'm going to keep taking the pterostilbene for two weeks and measure my blood ketones & sugar every two days so I will know what the real results are.

I am a little alarmed that according to my blood monitor I am no longer in ketosis (.7) and my blood sugar was 98 this morning, after a down day in which I ate only two eggs and a bran cracker. Even on UpDays I keep my carb intake at <20 so there's just no way my 98 blood sugar was from carbs from a previous day. Though my protein intake the day before yesterday was slightly higher than usual, I don't see that affecting my blood sugar two days later.

I'm not going to panic. Day before yesterday I was in optimal ketosis with normal blood sugar (85). I will just test again every two days and see what I come up with as a pattern.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:59 PM   #1045
Senior LCF Member

OK, new report.

I am absolutely NOT HUNGRY even on a down day with only 150 calories. The only explanation is the Pteostilbene. This is really, really weird, and cool, too.

It will be interesting to see what my blood ketones and glucose look like in the morning.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:58 PM   #1046

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Nice!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote