Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 07:13 AM   #781
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Goner
Stats: 184/158/157 restart 5-1-14 165.5/164/154
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
I never thought of this either. Could be why I am so tired by 4PM. I should try taking one earlier to see if I can make it through without a nap! I have the 50 mg so I can try that today. I took 2 of the 50s this morning. I will try one this afternoon. I hope it helps.
So I thought I'd take my 150 mg ptero later today on my DD to see if it lasted longer without needing a nap OR food. It's going to be a rough DD today - I forgot to bring the capsule with me to work. I won't be home till 3:30 pm and I am afraid to take it that late. The only "food" I have with me is a box of broth with 60 calories total. If I get hungry I can't do too much damage. Already had 100 calories of coffee and cream for breakfast.
Goner is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #782
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Does anyone know the difference between pterostilbene and trans-pterostilbene? The Jarrow brand I'd been using was called "trans-pterostilbene" and I'm wondering if that's why it was more effective in controlling my bg?

I am going to buy another bottle of the Jarrow brand and see if my bg numbers change. If they do, I'll just keep using that brand. Though I'll have a year's supply of the Dr.Vitamin kind, it'll be worth it to get my bg numbers back in check.
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:06 AM   #783
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee View Post
Does anyone know the difference between pterostilbene and trans-pterostilbene? The Jarrow brand I'd been using was called "trans-pterostilbene" and I'm wondering if that's why it was more effective in controlling my bg?

I am going to buy another bottle of the Jarrow brand and see if my bg numbers change. If they do, I'll just keep using that brand. Though I'll have a year's supply of the Dr.Vitamin kind, it'll be worth it to get my bg numbers back in check.
I have that Jarrow brand as well. I didn't even notice the trans, til you mentioned it. Mine is a purply-pink bottle, I suppose yours is too? And I have the year's supply from Dr Vitamin I would love to know the difference too.
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #784
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I have that Jarrow brand as well. I didn't even notice the trans, til you mentioned it. Mine is a purply-pink bottle, I suppose yours is too? And I have the year's supply from Dr Vitamin I would love to know the difference too.
Yes that's the kind I have! I can't seem to find any info on the difference between that and regular ptero, if there even is a difference. I'm happy to keep buying the Jarrow brand if it works that magic on my blood sugar again, especially since Netrition has it fairly cheap. I never got the AS or high-energy others did from it.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:31 AM   #785
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LivinTheDream
Stats: 135/124.6/118 5'4" 28 yo
WOE: Ideal Protein, JUDDD
Start Date: IP started 1/1/13; JUDDD started 5/12/13
In chemistry language, trans is the opposite of "cis" which refers to the "R-groups" on the molecule (the groups of elements that stick out from the main molecule chain). Trans means they're on opposite sides of the molecule, and cis means they're on the same side. These different isomers can result in very different properties, so I'd be willing to bet that trans-ptero and just plain ptero are the same thing.

Last edited by LivinTheDream; 06-13-2013 at 10:38 AM..
LivinTheDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #786
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Silverrain
Stats: 209.9/209.9/145 5'4" 34 years old
Start Date: July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Don't apologise Jen, I am in my 60's and vague as a violet half the time!.

Me too on the wrinkles and boy is that nice.
I'm with you - my mind does not work properly half the time! I try to just stay inside away from others on DDs, which make things worse.

I was starting to use all sorts of eye creams and other face creams, and I have to say this has worked better than any of them! I only hope it continues.
Silverrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #787
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
In chemistry language, trans is the opposite of "cis" which refers to the "R-groups" on the molecule (the groups of elements that stick out from the main molecule chain). Trans means they're on opposite sides of the molecule, and cis means they're on the same side. These different isomers can result in very different properties, so I'd be willing to bet that trans-ptero and just plain ptero are the same thing.
Thank you for the info! I guess it might just be that the Jarrow brand was more effective for me for whatever reason. Or maybe not, I probably won't know until I buy it and test again.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #788
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thank you for the info! I guess it might just be that the Jarrow brand was more effective for me for whatever reason. Or maybe not, I probably won't know until I buy it and test again.
I hope it's just the brand and Jarrow works again for you.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #789
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I hope it's just the brand and Jarrow works again for you.
Thank you Goner, so do I! I will report back whatever I discover here.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverrain View Post
I'm with you - my mind does not work properly half the time! I try to just stay inside away from others on DDs, which make things worse.

I was starting to use all sorts of eye creams and other face creams, and I have to say this has worked better than any of them! I only hope it continues.
And here I was thinking my very expensive wrinkle creams and potions have kicked in I know how I will pay for my ptero! No more creams for me
Old 06-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #791
bkm
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bkm
Stats: 200/130/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01/01/1994
Wrinkle reduction - wow! How long before you started noticing the effect? I can sure use some!!!
bkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #792
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:

Very interesting. I was going to mention the same thing, but didn't know if I was imagining? I notice a huge difference in Jarrow and the only other ptero that I purchased that says 150 mg. by Bio Nutrition. Both have the trademark PteroPure. But if I take 150 mg of Jarrow, I am feeling it BIG. A great feeling. If it take the same 150 of the other, I absolutely can't tell that I have taken it.

Now, to be fair. I think Bio Nutrition is a good brand, I just wonder why I can't feel the effects?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #793
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
And on the skin. Let me tell you, if I didn't feel anything, I would take this purely for the anti-aging.

I noticed a lot of reviewers on the big site were mentioning the skin health.

I found this on a very famous skincare cream site by the name of "SkinActives". Probably very costly as well.

Quote:
Pterostilbene is very similar in structure to resveratrol, but pterostilbene has a great advantage: better bioavailability. Among the properties of our new active are anti-inflammatory, anti-skin cancer (chemopreventive), anti-melanoma, antioxidant and antiglycation. You may remember that proteins, including those in our skin, lose functionality when their structure is altered by glycation (addition of sugars), one of the reasons why diabetic skin will age faster. Pterostilbene is also antibacterial and fungicide making it an all-rounded active which we will have to add to many of our products (see below, we are adding it to anti-age cream!).

Figure: Kino tree of India (From Koehler, 1887). Extracts from various parts of this tree have been used for centuries in Aryuvedic medicine. We use the root to purify the pterostilbene.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #794
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Whitlin'
Stats: 162/149/149
Start Date: March, 2009
Love the phrase, "Vague as a violet". So often we have regional phrases here, and I'm wondering if that is an English phrase, specifically, Cindy. Certainly strikes me as something accurate! I feel vague as a violet so often, and didn't even know there was such an exacting way to express it!

Honestly, I think when we hear "Trans-Resveratrol" and "Trans-Pterostilbene" it is simply the more exact name for what we understand as resveratrol and pterostilbene. I think somewhere this has been discussed here, maybe by Sunday, but I would hate to have to try searching for it.

Aha, wait, I take it back. In this thread, in the 6th post, Carly gives an explanation. Note the 5th paragraph of her quote.

It is encouraging to hear chat about ptero's effect on the face. Thanks so much SilverRain. In fact, lots of appreciation to everyone who gives their personal experiences.

Lost 13 pounds on JUDDD in 2009 and began happy maintenance. Slipped up in 2012, but JUDDD got me back to goal!
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #795
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
You guys have finally convinced me. I've been reading this thread for a long time, and kept thinking "I don't need another thing to spend money on - I'm doing fine." But the anti-aging effects are very tempting. I'm so afraid that as I lose more, I'll look older. And if they help with hunger, that's a fine benefit. I placed my order with Vitamin Dr, along with an iron-free multi for my DDs so hopefully I won't have the horrible nausea.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #796
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
Pterostilbene

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pterostilbene

Pterostilbene is a stilbenoid chemically related to resveratrol and is found in blueberries and grapes. It belongs to the group of phytoalexins, agents produced by plants to fight infections.[1] Based on animal studies it is thought to exhibit anti-cancer, anti-hypercholesterolemia, anti-hypertriglyceridemia properties, as well as the ability to fight off and reverse cognitive decline.[citation needed] It is believed that the compound also has anti-diabetic properties, but so far very little has been studied on this issue.[citation needed]

Pharmacokinetics

Pterostilbene is a double-methylated version of resveratrol exhibiting a higher bioavailability as it is more easily transported into the cell and more resistant to degradation and elimination.[2] In rats, pterostilbene's oral availability is 67%-94%, and its half-life has been published to be between 78 minutes and 104 minutes.[3][4][5]

Pterostilbene has anti-inflammatory, antineoplastic, and antioxidant actions via modulations of gene expression and enzyme activity.[2] In plants the substance displays antifungal[6] and antiviral activities.[7]

In general, studies have focused on the trans isomer of pterostilbene.[2]

Studies that used animals fed on blueberry based diets found significant reduction in blood lipid count and cholesterol count. While lipids and cholesterol stored in the cells do not pose much harm, elevated lipid and cholesterol levels in the blood have been linked to heart disease and stroke. In the mentioned study blueberries were found to be more effective than ciprofibrate, a cholesterol-lowering drug predominantly used outside the United States.[8] According to the study pterostilbene binds to PPARs, breaking down the cholesterol.[9]

Similar to what has been discovered with the drug metformin, pterostilbene has been shown to lower blood glucose levels in rats by as much as 56 percent, while simultaneously raising insulin and hemoglobin levels to near normal levels.[10] Pterocarpus marsupium, a tree that contains high levels of pterostilbene in its heartwood, has also showed an anti-diabetic effect in humans, with 67% of participants in a clinical study obtaining control of their blood sugar levels after 12 weeks and an average drop of 32 mg/dl in fasting blood glucose levels.[11]

In a study of 40 19-month-old rats fed either a normal diet or a diet containing blueberry, strawberry, or spinach extracts, the rats that were fed blueberry extracts had a significant reversal in motor-skill decline due to aging as well as other cognitive impairments. All of the diets above, except the normal one, resulted in some reversal or reduction of cognitive decline but none greater than the blueberry group.[12] A similar study with blueberries in a group of adults exhibiting age-related memory decline demonstrated a significant improvement in memory tests after just 12 weeks of drinking blueberry juice.[13] A study out of Tufts University on pterostilbene supplementation in elderly rats showed that pterostilbene conferred significant memory improvement as well.[14] The authors theorized that the memory improvement may be due to pterostilbene's unique ability as an anti-oxidant to cross the blood-brain barrier and co-localize in the hippocampus (the brain's memory center) where it may offer protection against free radical damage.

In 2002, Rimando and University of Illinois at Chicago collaborators found in experiments using rat mammary glands that pterostilbene possessed potent anti-oxidant characteristics and possible cancer-fighting properties at concentrations similar to resveratrol.[15]

Additional work by Rimando and collaborators revealed a possible mechanism for pterostilbene's purported anti-cancer properties. Using mice cells, they demonstrated that pterostilbene, as well as other analogs of resveratrol, potently inhibits an enzyme called cytochrome P450.[16] (Cytochromes are found within the cells of animals, plants, bacteria, and other microorganisms that transport electrons. They’re also a factor in people’s varying response to drugs and toxins entering their bodies. Cytochrome P450 enzymes activate a variety of compounds known as "procarcinogens," which can turn substances such as cigarette smoke and pesticides into carcinogens.)

According to Rimando, Pterostilbene showed strong inhibitory activity, much more than resveratrol, against a particular form of cytochrome P450 in a mouse mammary gland culture assay.

[edit] Human studies

The first human clinical trial on the effect of pterostilbene on cholesterol and blood pressure was completed at the University of Mississippi in April 2012.[17] The safety data from the double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical study demonstrated that pterostilbene is safe in doses up to 250 mg/day.[18] Efficacy data from the clinical study was published on Sept. 12, 2012. This study showed that pterostilbene at high doses was associated with reduced blood pressure and minor weight loss. (Clinical Study Showed a Blueberry Antioxidant, pTeroPure® (pterostilbene), Significantly Reduced Blood Pressure... -- IRVINE, Calif., Sept. 20, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --).

While resveratrol has been touted for its heart healthy benefits, pterostilbene is not found in wine despite darker grapes having the highest concentrations among the fruit.[citation needed] The reason believed is that it is unstable in light and air.[citation needed]

Toxicity

Pterostilbene is not known to be toxic to humans.[2] There is some anecdotal evidence that doses of 200-250mg or more at once may induce temporary hypoglycemia in normal individuals.
I moved it over here since it is coming up for discussion.

I didn't notice any difference when I switched to the Doctors Vitamin brand, but I have a bottle of un-opened Jarrow and will take 150mg for that for a few days and see if I feel even better. I never took more than 100mg of Jarrow and usually only took 50mg.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #797
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
thanks everyone for the updates. Honestly, I'm still skeptical of the "Dr" brand.

Re: the skin improvement......curious as to why you attribute it to the ptero instead of the other lifestyle changes that go along with JUDD?

thanks
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #798

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofucheez View Post
thanks everyone for the updates. Honestly, I'm still skeptical of the "Dr" brand.

Re: the skin improvement......curious as to why you attribute it to the ptero instead of the other lifestyle changes that go along with JUDD?

thanks
I am not doing JUDDD at the very moment
Old 06-14-2013, 05:12 AM   #799
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
you're cute, Dawn!

No worries, I guess I should have said the other changes that go along with being on a weight management plan (ie possibly eating better quality foods/possibly exercising/getting more rest). That kind of thing
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:17 AM   #800

Quote:
you're cute, Dawn!

No worries, I guess I should have said the other changes that go along with being on a weight management plan (ie possibly eating better quality foods/possibly exercising/getting more rest). That kind of thing
Nope. Those don't apply to me either. I have been eating poorly for about a month or so. But I also have been using a retinol product at night. So who knows???
Old 06-14-2013, 05:20 AM   #801
Big Yapper!!!!

I took 150mg of the Jarrow this morning so I will see if I feel any significant difference from the 150mg of the doctor vitamin.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:39 AM   #802
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

thanks
I didn't start taking ptero until just recently. I think it's been about a month or so now. I've been on JUDDD for around two months. The skin improvement didn't happen until just recently, though I have not lost any weight for a while due to vacation. My eating remains largely the same as when I began JUDDD. I am sleeping better, but I am also attributing that to the ptero since that didn't start until I began taking this supplement.

In short, the skin stuff could definitely be a factor of everything, including the ptero, but I really do feel a lot better when I take this. I didn't even notice how much better my skin looked until this past weekend. I am kind of amazed!
Old 06-14-2013, 05:43 AM   #803
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
And here I was thinking my very expensive wrinkle creams and potions have kicked in I know how I will pay for my ptero! No more creams for me
Yeah, I stopped using them about a year ago because they really didn't help at all, and kind of irritated my skin. I started taking the ptero because of the extra health benefits and possible appetite suppression, but am completely happy with this extra side effect. Like tofucheez said, though, it might just be a cumulative effect of both the supplement and the JUDDD magic working together. At any rate, I'm happy!
Silverrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:23 AM   #804
Major LCF Poster!

I am back on the Jarrow brand, but since the only effects of ptero for me have ever been the bg control, and today is a DD, I won't have much to report until tomorrow. I've got my fingers crossed!
Old 06-14-2013, 07:40 AM   #805
Senior LCF Member

Funny that the discussion is about the possible difference between the two brands. I take the Drs. brand on DD at 150 mg. and have been white knuckling my hunger at night, assuming it was the DD calories.

I take the 50 mg. Jarrow brand on UD, for a little extra appetite suppresant. I've never taken more than 100 mg. Jarrow.

I think I'll experiment with 150 mg. Jarrow - especially in the extra energy department - I haven't had that at all with JUDDD or ptero that I can tell.

What I have noticed is stamina on a DD to do more than I would "mentally" think I was capable of on such few calories during the day. IE: weeding and outdoor work for 4-5 hours on a weekend DD, when I'm use to a desk job M-F and presently do not exercise.

That said, I took 50 mg. Jarrow this morning as it's an UD for me.

I will say as to my face - there has been something different about it since I began JUDDD 6 1/2 weeks ago, and ptero after two weeks on JUDDD. I couldn't put my finger on it except to say my "jowls" and under eye bags are definitely less and smoother. I don't care how or why. Just know I love it at 60+ years!
Old 06-14-2013, 07:42 AM   #806
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I am back on the Jarrow brand, but since the only effects of ptero for me have ever been the bg control, and today is a DD, I won't have much to report until tomorrow. I've got my fingers crossed!
My fingers are crossed also. So interesting.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #807

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
You and me both Goner.

We are hardly a control group here, but I know what I see in the mirror. JUDDD, Ptero, Resveratrol, DE, I do them all, and I am very happy with the results.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #808
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelbyla
Stats: 210/153/145
WOE: hhCG, rx hCG
Start Date: rx hCG R7 start 02/16/14
Ok, so I took 100mg of ptero today for the first time, Puritan brand. Empty stomach, 1 hour or so before my other vitamins and coffee. Can't say as I've noticed anything significant in terms of energy or hunger suppression yet but I'll give it some time. I'd LOVE for this to reduce the eye cream need for me as well! I will definitely notice as my diet hasn't changed dramatically for quite some time and I'm not doing JUDDD either. Fingers crossed for that!
shelbyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #809
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: fufu
Stats: 187/156/135 5'5"
WOE: HHCG/JUDDD
Yikes! Accidently took 450mg!!!

I just received my Doctor Vitamin Ptero today and accidently took 3 150mg caps... total 450mg! I was taking another brand where I took 3 caps for 150mg total and wasn't thinking when I took them. Do you think there is any danger to taking too much??? Btw, they came very fast... ordered Tues. and received Friday!
fufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #810
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufu View Post
I just received my Doctor Vitamin Ptero today and accidently took 3 150mg caps... total 450mg! I was taking another brand where I took 3 caps for 150mg total and wasn't thinking when I took them. Do you think there is any danger to taking too much??? Btw, they came very fast... ordered Tues. and received Friday!
I hope you feel ok. If not go to your MD or ER.