Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #691
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
A couple of weeks.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #692
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainsgirl View Post
How long did it take for you guys to get your order from the doctor vitamin store?
More than a month! The product is great and I now have a years worth of pterostilbene and resveratrol, but it took a month or more!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:02 AM   #693
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LivinTheDream
Stats: 135/124.6/118 5'4" 28 yo
WOE: Ideal Protein, JUDDD
Start Date: IP started 1/1/13; JUDDD started 5/12/13
Just placed my order for the Jarrow brand from netrition. I've spent a lot of time perusing this forum, and I'm very encouraged by all the positive results most of you JUDD BUDDs have had! I am definitely looking for that appetite supression/energy boost on UD's moreso than DD's. I actually feel pretty good on DD's and don't find it hard to control my hunger, but on UD's it seems like I'm hungry from the time I get out of bed.

Seems like on the older posts most people started with 50 mg once a day, but many of you have graduated to some stronger stuff. I think I'll start with the smaller dose and just gauge how I feel for now.
LivinTheDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #694
Big Yapper!!!!

I wasted a lot of time taking 50 mg. Graduated to 100 in the mornings and it was better but nothing as good as the one 150 mg ptero every morning. I now have my UUAD's under control.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #695
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Just to let y'all know, I have no effects that I can tell from taking it. I just discussed this with my DH. I am taking some hormone therapy, some stuff that is supposed to give me energy besides the ptero, and of course the ptero---I am falling asleep in the afternoons. All this in combo with drinking coffee all day long. Not just lying down tired, I am literally falling asleep!!! So, I don't get the appetite suppression NOR the energy that others do. I hope y'all who try it do, but just know that it doesn't happen to us all. And I ordered the 150's from Vitamin doctor. So I now have a year's supply too! I hope it is doing other good things inside because I cannot feel/see the effects outwardly.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #696
bkm
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bkm
Stats: 200/140/130
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 08/12/2014
I just ordered pterostilbene from the doctor vitamin store - 3 bottles of 180 capsules (150 mg) - with s&h came to $28.94 - about 1-1/2 years supply!

I would never have dared ordering from this site other than so many of you have done so successfully - I wonder just where their stuff is shipping from? the web site has spelling errors and their soon-to-be rebranded name will be "Vitamins Because Your Worth It" ... maybe this is the (retired) technical editor/writer in me, but ???? I suspect it may be a foreign group (i.e., people who have English as a second language) ...

Anyway, I guess I won't count on getting it anytime soon, but I am curious if it'll work for me - it would be so nice to have a little help instead of counting on willpower alone!

I've been low-carbing since 01/01/1994 (weighed >200#) - reached my goal weight in 1995 (125#) - maintained with a few blips (gaining up to 160#) along the way - lost weight on HCG but hated the no-fat! - now up about 10 pounds and looking for a solution!

Last edited by bkm; 05-20-2013 at 12:35 PM..
bkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #697
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimmietoo
Stats: 350/269.2/??? 58 yo, hypothyroid age 8; menopausal
WOE: start JUDDD 01/24/13 at 310
Start Date: July 2009
The ptero has really helped me A LOT. I am able to manage hunger on DDs much more easily (since it's diminished). More important for me personally, it has really aided dramatically in avoiding binge eating on UDs. I still go over on occasion, but it is much less than it had been previously. I was negating the whole process not being able to get my UD eating under control until the ptero 150 mg kicked in. Some days I take a second 150 mg in the evening.

Kimmie
Kimmietoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #698
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
ptero had no positive benes for me, either......I was dragging the week I took it. Could be conincidence, but definitely nothing good.

And earlier I commented on the errors on that site that made me very skeptical of that particular brand, so I purchased Jarrow.

I'm glad it is working well for so many of you, but it's good for others to know that it doesn't work for everyone
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #699
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
I can't say the ptero has given me any energy, as it has to others. And I am definitely still hungry on both D and U days. But the blood sugar control has been incredibly beneficial. For other diabetics or those with insulin resistance, I think it's worth it for that alone!
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #700
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
Start Date: March, 2009
deedee, I apologize if I'm "nagging" you, , but I have loved ones who would be so fortunate to see the blood glucose improvement you have had. Did you read any of the info on the net to see if you "recognized yourself" in any of it as far as the blood sugar control? Do you have any advice personally as far as whether it's helped more when you took it at certain times, etc? You're always taking your blood glucose every morning, and still seeing this good effect? Thanks in advance.

Yes, dawn, it's true some of the benefits ptero has had in trials are of the kind that wouldn't be evident "on the outside", so I hope you benefit from those.

Bonnie, best wishes - thanks for letting us know you took that plunge. We'll be hopeful for you.

Right, tofucheez we want to know how it works for everyone, not just some.

Last edited by Whitlin'; 05-20-2013 at 02:19 PM..
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #701
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
deedee, I apologize if I'm "nagging" you, , but I have loved ones who would be so fortunate to see the blood glucose improvement you have had. Did you read any of the info on the net to see if you "recognized yourself" in any of it as far as the blood sugar control? Do you have any advice personally as far as whether it's helped more when you took it at certain times, etc? You're always taking your blood glucose every morning, and still seeing this good effect? Thanks in advance.
You're not nagging me in the least! I am actually about to recommend my parents start taking this (and resveratrol, once I take it myself and see if it has any positive effects).

I haven't had a chance to read through more than the wikipedia page, which mentions the positive, but inconclusive, effects of ptero on blood sugar so I'm afraid I'm not much help there. But yes, I test my bg just about every morning, more often after an UD than after a DD (because generally after a DD I know what to expect). For the past 2-3 weeks, my fasting bg has been in the 80's every single time. For me, even very low carb did not bring my fasting bg down below the 90's, so this is a noticeable shift. And this has been with me eating all sort of carb-heavy food the night before. JUDDD alone didn't bring my bg levels down, so for the past few months if I had something carb-heavy the night before, I could expect a fasting bg in the 100's. Taking the ptero, that number is consistently in the 80's no matter what I ate the night before.

I haven't been great about testing an hour or two after eating, but when I have, what I've noticed is that 1 hour post carb-heavy meal I may still be in the high 120's or even low 130's, but 1 and 1/2 hours or 2 hours after a carb heavy meal, I am back in the 80's.

I have been taking the ptero in the morning (either 100mg or 150) and then sometimes another pill in the afternoon (50mg). I haven't tried taking it at night so I'm not sure what that would do.

To be honest, one of the reasons I'm so amazed is that Metformin has never had any effect on my blood sugar. I keep taking it, because my doctor tells me it can actually help repair or regrow beta cells, but it's never effected my immediate numbers. So I am a big fan of the ptero and I hope it keeps working. I really do want to look into the science of its effects on bg and understand why it might be having such a positive effect on me. I hope that helps some Whitlin!
Old 05-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #702
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofucheez View Post
ptero had no positive benes for me, either......I was dragging the week I took it. Could be conincidence, but definitely nothing good.
I'm glad it is working well for so many of you, but it's good for others to know that it doesn't work for everyone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitlin' View Post
Right, tofucheez we want to know how it works for everyone, not just some.
So far, I haven't discerned any benefits: that said, the headaches were bothersome enough that I haven't raised the dosage from 50mg in case they recur, so, I'm not taking the dosage used in the trials.

I wish I'd experienced the energy boost but I haven't. My appetite still seems suppressed from the March potato hack so I haven't recognised a change there.

I ought to try and up my dosage to give it a fair trial but supplements are eye-wateringly expensive in the UK and it's lot of money for something that is not yielding even a small benefit to me (as yet).

Last edited by SlowSure; 05-20-2013 at 02:40 PM..
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:04 AM   #703
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mamatomany
WOE: PHD
Start Date: 1/17/13
Does anybody else experience wierd and terrible mood swings while taking this? Within 20 minutes of taking a 50 mg dose I am a bear...i had to stop taking it? Hmmm...and when I was taking 100 mg in the morning only I wasn't sleeping...Just wondered if I am the only one with these type of side affects?
Mamatomany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:10 AM   #704
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatomany View Post
Does anybody else experience wierd and terrible mood swings while taking this? Within 20 minutes of taking a 50 mg dose I am a bear...i had to stop taking it? Hmmm...and when I was taking 100 mg in the morning only I wasn't sleeping...Just wondered if I am the only one with these type of side affects?
I have not personally experienced anything like that. I feel enegized about 20 minutes after taking it. That being said I would not take it past 3pm or 4pm or I probably would have trouble sleeping.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:13 AM   #705
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
I think it helps stabilize my moods. Plus, I'm not sure whether to attribute this to the ptero or not, I have been sleeping better at night, waking up earlier and therefore getting up earlier with more energy. I totally attribute the extra energy and appetite suppression to the ptero () but I would love to credit the other benefits I've been experiencing lately to it also,even if it's not coming from the ptero, lol
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:27 AM   #706
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Goner
Stats: 184/158/157 restart 11-1-14 175.5/
Start Date: May 2013
After having read this whole thread - I purchased Jarrow 50 mg ptero and took my first capsule this morning on an empty stomach - followed 5 minutes later with a cup of coffee. It's an UD for me, and I've only been JUDDDing for 3 weeks. I awoke with a headache today, due in part to not enough water yesterday - and a DD after taking a 5 day break while on vacation. Basically I feel like I'm starting over since my break from JUDDD began as soon as I completed my first two weeks.

That said - I was dragging this morning when I awoke, and within 20 minutes of taking the ptero I folded a load of laundry and did about 15 minutes of hoursework. This was at 6:30 am! It could be mind over matter - but I feel more awake.

I plan to stick with 50 mg a day for this week and see how it goes. I am hoping for all the "internal" benefits, as well as appetite suppresant and ENERGY!
Goner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:31 AM   #707
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatomany View Post
I have not noticed mood swings. And I pretty much always sleep like a rock regardless. I have not really noticed the energy boost though. But I am happy with a decreased appetite on UD;s and that is why I am taking it. DD's are not a problem even when I forget to take it but UD's are another story.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #708
Major LCF Poster!

Continuing on the subject of blood sugar results (for anyone now or in the future who may be interested), I tested myself before and after my lunch today. I only had one 50mg capsule of ptero today (I forgot the rest at home) but had 200mg in total yesterday.

Lunch was a very large Isreali salad (cucumbers, green peppers, scallions and lemon juice and olive oil), two slices Arnold carb control bread, and a Whole Foods banana strawberry yogurt. My online food diary tells me that's 55 grams of carbs and 24 grams of protein. I was a little worried about the lack of protein, which normally balances out carbs for me in terms of bg.

Before lunch: 80
One hour after lunch: 99

Totally reasonable, non-diabetic number. And I took no Metformin today.

I am having pizza for dinner and will test after that as well. I'm expecting it will be higher.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:35 AM   #709
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Silverrain
Stats: 209.9/206.2/145 5'4" 34 years old
I have upped my dosage to 150 mg as of this morning. We will see how this affects me. It seems the dose I was taking before (100 mg) was beginning to lose its potency. I had good AS for a while, but then it kind of petered out. My calorie numbers have been higher than I've wanted lately, so I want to see if this helps any. Today is a DD, and I am hoping to keep it that way!
Silverrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:36 AM   #710
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
Start Date: March, 2009
Quote:
After having read this whole thread
Congratulations to Goner! Actually, thanks for thinking it deserved your attention so intently.

Thanks for letting us know, mamatomany.

Me -
appetite suppression..... yes
energy ..........................inconclusive
negative reactions..........no

deedee, thanks so much for the info you have shared. So happy for you that you seem to have a consistent, measurable benefit. Are you also having A1C checked on any schedule? It would almost be a given that it has to be good, of course, with such good daily readings.

I would really have to put my thinking cap on to project from good blood glucose readings what other specific benefits ptero must be having. I assume from a doctor's point of view, though, that some "metabolic syndrome" diagnoses couldn't be made if one of the main "legs" of the syndrome, elevated blood glucose, just wasn't there any more to support the diagnosis.

Also, it's interesting to me that one of the generally accepted short-term benefits of lowered blood glucose is more energy. (United Kingdom Prospective Diabetes Study in 1998) Interesting because some of us note better energy and some don't. Also interesting because more energy could start a domino effect of better health/fitness.

I have one family member (who doesn't take daily readings) who's started ptero to see if eventual A1C might be better (has also recently altered eating habits, so results might not be particularly conclusive).
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #711
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
deedee, thanks so much for the info you have shared. So happy for you that you seem to have a consistent, measurable benefit. Are you also having A1C checked on any schedule? It would almost be a given that it has to be good, of course, with such good daily readings.
I do have my A1C checked, about every 4 months when I go to my endo. It usually ranges from 4.9-5.2, but it was 5.2 when I was diagnosed so it was never very high.

I hope your relative finds the ptero useful! Since the only side effect seems to be a slight headache in the beginning (for some) there's no harm in trying it! I'm recommending it to my diabetic coworker as well.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #712
Senior LCF Member

Day #2 of 50 mg of ptero - taken on empty stomach at 6:15 am. Now it's about noon and I have a slight headache, although it's been a particularly horrid/crappy/awful day at work. OH the DRAMA!

It's a DD today for me, so I'm hoping it helps with hunger. I have noted that everyone reacts differently, and it took different amount of time for some results in others. Therefore I'm keeping track: no extra energy that I can tell today and hunger remains to be evaluated as the day goes on.

Yesterday's ptero was taken the same way and last night at dinner (UD) - I didn't care whether I ate or not - just got my calories in. That IS a bit unusual for me.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:00 AM   #713
Senior LCF Member

Day #3 of 50 mg of ptero - taken on an empty stomach. The headache from yesterday at noon lasted until my first sip of coffee this morning at 5:45 am. It woke me up a few times last night - although on a pain scale it was no more than a 2 out of 10. I'm hopeful today that the headaches are gone, as others have experienced.

I do believe the ptero helped with my appetite yesterday. I never felt overly hungry, and was satisfied with 350 calories. I do not notice any extra energy - and I could use some!
Old 05-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #714
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Debrat3
Stats: 257/235/goal 130 5'3"
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: Oct. 12,2011/restart Oct.1,2012
I noticed some of you use 150 mg of a different brand other than Jarrow. Taking 3 of my 50mg of Jarrow going to give me the same benefits or is it the other brand that seems better?
Debrat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #715
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I noticed some of you use 150 mg of a different brand other than Jarrow. Taking 3 of my 50mg of Jarrow going to give me the same benefits or is it the other brand that seems better?
I only just received my doctorvitamin supply yesterday (and wow that was some amazing deal!), so prior to today I was taking 150 mg of Jarrow and it was giving me great results in terms of bg. Never had the energy or appetite suppression others had, or if I did it wasn't so noticeable that I...noticed it. I started taking the Doctorvitamin brand today and will post back here with any differences, though I suspect, based on other posters, that the results will only be positive.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #716
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimmietoo
Stats: 350/269.2/??? 58 yo, hypothyroid age 8; menopausal
WOE: start JUDDD 01/24/13 at 310
Start Date: July 2009
I originally was taking only 50 mg of Swanson ptero and could not tell any noticeable difference in appetite or energy.

Since receiving the Doctor Vitamin 150 mg capsules, I have found both appetite suppression and energy levels are dramatically better. I appear to have finally gotten the UUUUUAD problem back under control and the related weight loss has resumed after a protracted stall.

I do on occasion take a second one in the evening if I feel "hungry" as it has not seemed to interfere with sleep for me and from what I have read, is perfectly safe.

Thank you Cindy!!!!!!!

Kimmie
Kimmietoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:01 PM   #717
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
Well I love this stuff! 50mg gave me energy and 150mg gave me appetite suppression. I am pushing past all my exercise goals and am hitting the endorphine zone during exercise. The other day I was too tired to exercise in the evening and then realised I had forgotten to take my Ptero that morning. I upped my dose to 200mg the next day just to make sure and it has actually deadened my appetite, however the high dose did affect my sleep. So dead appetite versus lack of sleep...decisions, decisions. I've taken to Ptero like a duck to water and love it! I can't speak highly enough of it.

If you can get to the point where you can eat one unit of a trigger food (e.g. white chocolate covered licorice ball) whilst in a craving state, but stop right after, then you are a Jedi master and nothing can stand in your way

"I am what I ate...and I'm frightened"....Bill Cosby
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #718
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrat3 View Post
I was taking 50mg of the jarrow and now 150 mg of the Doctor Vitamin Shop. I think there was a tiny increase in energy, but may be slightly interfering with sleep. I take it at 5:30am, so can't take it much earlier. I also tend not to sleep well in the spring and summer due to increasing day light so it may be that and not the increase in pterostilbene
Old 05-24-2013, 07:10 AM   #719
Senior LCF Member

Day 4 of pterostilbene for me and I decided to take 100 mg today. I am using Jarrow brand. I do not notice any increased energy yet from taking it - hoping it kicks in as I progress though. I do think it helps with hunger a bit. Today is a DD for me and I am going to wait to eat till I feel true hunger. I did have my coffee with a drop of half and half in it today and that is all so far.

Yesterday took the 50 mg and for an UD, it was the first time I felt I was forcing myself to get the calories in. I would describe it as my "mind" wanting to eat but my "body" saying it didn't care if I did or not.

I don't think it is affecting my sleep - I am a great sleeper, always have been. What has been waking me up is having to pee. I seldom get up to use the bathroom during the night, so two times a night for the last few days has been what wakes me up. I go right back to sleep and feel I am sleeping very soundly. I have not been jumping out of bed in the morning, but we have rain here for a few days and I am always affected with less energy when the sun doesn't shine.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #720
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I am so pleased that many of us are benefitting from this. I didn't get the Doctor Vitamin ones as they couldn't guarantee that they would get to my sister before she returned to the UK. But I have loads of the Jarrow brand.

I feel great taking this and hunger on a DD is almost no existent. No mood swings, (though DH may disagree, lol) and I sleep like a top.

I find the blood sugar control most interesting. Thanks for sharing that.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote