Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 07:05 AM   #301
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stargazer
Stats: 190/166/147 5' 10"
WOE: Juddd/ Dukan
Start Date: March 2012
Sunday. I started them Thursday last week.

I have a theory.

High doses are said to cause hypoglycaemia. This is known to cause headaches and also vivid dreams and sleep disturbances.

Could taking both pterostilbene and doing a DD cause our blood sugar to dive overnight, especially if you are doing low carb? Since the supplement mimics a fasting day perhaps actually fasting is too much?

This would certainly explain my dreams and strong hunger at around 11.00am. Pirate Jenny found it made her hungry, which would tie in. I'll go back and re-read her posts on taking P.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2012, 07:32 AM   #302
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/152.8/145
WOE: JUDDD
Carly, that is fantastic about your sleep improvements! I am sleeping better with jUDDD and no changes in sleep with the Pterostilbene. Could definitely be that people react differently from IF. I take this supplement everyday as I have the appetite suppression. I was actually convinced to try JUDDD because I had never heard of so many women in their premenopausal and post menopause years having such great success with weight loss. It does sound like from the studies that you are reading Sunday that it doesn't work for everyone.
Babsbabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:05 AM   #303
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
Sunday. I started them Thursday last week.

I have a theory.

High doses are said to cause hypoglycaemia. This is known to cause headaches and also vivid dreams and sleep disturbances.

Could taking both pterostilbene and doing a DD cause our blood sugar to dive overnight, especially if you are doing low carb? Since the supplement mimics a fasting day perhaps actually fasting is too much?

This would certainly explain my dreams and strong hunger at around 11.00am. Pirate Jenny found it made her hungry, which would tie in. I'll go back and re-read her posts on taking P.
Yes, that is a good possibility! I wrote the Jarrow company asking about the headaches and never received an answer.

Babs, I am not through researching this! I have just begun! I am curious as to why some women and specifically menopausal women struggle with losing while fasting??? I am going to take the time to write Dr. Johnson and Dr. Mercola. They may not answer, but it is something that I have witnessed many times with different women on JUDDD. I did take a month long maintenance period, but that is also when I had my better losses. So, I am curious as to why the difficulty in losing? I definitely have better health and much more energy JUDDDing. I just can't seem to lose weight as easy as my young JUDDD friends.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 11-12-2012 at 08:15 AM..
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #304
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/118.4/118 5'3.75"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Yes, that is a good possibility! I wrote the Jarrow company asking about the headaches and never received an answer.

Babs, I am not through researching this! I have just begun! I am curious as to why some women and specifically menopausal women struggle with losing while fasting??? I am going to take the time to write Dr. Johnson and Dr. Mercola. They may not answer, but it is something that I have witnessed many times with different women on JUDDD. I did take a month long maintenance period, but that is aslo when I had my better losses. So, I am curious as to why the difficulty in losing? I definitely have better health and much more energy JUDDDing. I just can't seem to lose weight as easy as my young JUDDD friends.

It all comes down to hormones. That is what causes one to stop losing weight or for it to come flying off. Hormones. They are tricky little buggers. When going through menopause, the hormones are very much in flux. That is the reason for the hot flashes many women complain about. I don't know the reason behind the struggling with IF but with hormones may come into play with that as well.
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #305
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
It all comes down to hormones. That is what causes one to stop losing weight or for it to come flying off. Hormones. They are tricky little buggers. When going through menopause, the hormones are very much in flux. That is the reason for the hot flashes many women complain about. I don't know the reason behind the struggling with IF but with hormones may come into play with that as well.
Dawn, I believe that it does have much to do with hormonal flux as well as something even more complex. The study did show that peri and menopausal women had received all of the other benefits from IF, but weight loss was not one for that group of women. Also, in this particular study was the group of women who were very close to goal and very lean. He claims that they do not have weight loss as well. That stands to reason.

As I said, I am on a mission to figure this out.

Last edited by sunday; 11-12-2012 at 09:52 AM..
Old 11-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #306

Quote:
Dawn, I believe that it does have much to do with hormonal flux as well as something even more complex. The study did show that peri and menopausal women had received all of the other benefits from IF, but weight loss was not one for that group of women. Also, in this particular study was the group of women who were very close to goal and very lean. He claims that they do not have weight loss as well. That stands to reason.

I am glad you are taking it upon yourself to research this for us. Let us know what you find out! I have not reached that certain age yet, but when I do I KNOW I do NOT want to gain weight as many women do. I will follow this thread, or any other relating to it with much interest Thank you Sunday!!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #307
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: C'Marie
Stats: 270/down 110-ish/ goal 147
WOE: hCG Rx shots/JUDDD maintain
Start Date: 1/4/2010 Now R9 P2
@Sunday, yes, I am with Dawn. Thanks for researching this. I myself lost well OVER 100 pounds on hcg and then suddenly all hormonal h3ll broke loose and I can quickly, quickly gain. I am now holding somewhat steady but NOT at my lowest. I have re-started JUDDDing and trying to get off sleep meds. I had to dump the pb and work on my other hormonal issues, which seem to have helped sleep some. I don't have stellar losses but a holding pattern is at least causing me to not gain as quickly after slight indulgences. I am hopeful I can still sleep. Nothing works right without sleep!

HCG Rx to lose - JUDDD to maintain
C'Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #308

I was unable to find the pterostilbene at my Whole Foods. I went the first weekend it was open and the one who was asking if I needed help.....needed help himself LOL. He couldn't find it either. So my Whole Foods either doesn't have it or we couldn't find it. It was crazy in there the first 2 trips we went--too many people. That is how over the moon we are in the fact that we FINALLY have a Whole Foods. But I digress......has anyone found this at Vitamin Shoppe. Before going over there for a special trip, I wanted to know if anyone found this there. I would love to try this. Even though I seem to do very well on my DDs, thanks to the hcg I have been well trained in not eating very much LOL. Thanks!!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:17 PM   #309

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
They have a whole section with Pterostilbene and Resveratrol, and combinations of the two at the Vitamin Shoppe.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #310
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I just order from Netrition since I live in a rural area. Jarrow brand is what I started with so I keep buying that brand.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #311
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.7/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I get it from netrition. I can't be bothered running around when it is delivered right to my door!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #312
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Debrat3
Stats: 257/235/goal 130 5'3"
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: Oct. 12,2011/restart Oct.1,2012
Quote:

I am in menapause maybe even closer to the end(maybe wishful thinking). But the weight isnt coming off me fast especially for how heavy Iam. My doctor put me on a bio-identical hormone cream you rub on your body and said it would help me with weight loss. I havnt taken it for months now but am thinking maybe Ishould try again.
Debrat3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #313
Senior LCF Member

I also order from Netriition as I have had good results with the Jarrow brand and I haven't seen it in here in Canada yet. I take it with the resveritol that I can buy locally.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #314
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babsbabs View Post
I also order from Netriition as I have had good results with the Jarrow brand and I haven't seen it in here in Canada yet. I take it with the resveritol that I can buy locally.
I have both but was afraid to take both at the same time. If you don't have any propblems taking both I might try it tomorrow on my DD.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #315
Senior LCF Member

I haven't had any problems but I rarely get headaches. I think both together work better for me but I haven't tried the Pterostilbene on its own for quite a while.
Debbie, I am sorry that the weight is not coming off faster for you. It certainly can be frustrating when the weight lose is slow.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:02 AM   #316
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/161.6/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
I just bought the resveratrol and ptero from netrition. I haven't taken it yet.

Are any of you on thyroid meds and taking both these supplements? I'm big on experimenting on myself, but I leave in the morning for a 12 day trip to CA w. my family and BFFs. I'd like the appetite suppression please (esp. w/ vacation eating!) but am afraid of the sleep disturbances. Any suggestions for me? Anyone feel strongly I should NOT try this?

TIA!!
julieboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:04 AM   #317

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by julieboolie View Post

Are any of you on thyroid meds and taking both these supplements? I'm big on experimenting on myself, but I leave in the morning for a 12 day trip to CA w. my family and BFFs. I'd like the appetite suppression please (esp. w/ vacation eating!) but am afraid of the sleep disturbances. Any suggestions for me? Anyone feel strongly I should NOT try this?

TIA!!
I'm on Synthroid and have tried both and didn't get the results others have. TBH, though, most supplements don't seem to affect me the same way they affect others. YMMV. Resveratrol gave me migraines, and Pterostilbene didn't seem to do anything for me at all.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:34 AM   #318
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Zoneish, Organic, GrassFed, Gluten-Free 5/13
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Swanson Vitamins has 30 for $6.99, 50 mg. They are a great company. I've been owith them for 5 years or so and never had a problem. In fact, last week, I ordered some liquid B12 and it leaked. I called them and they immediately sent a replacement. No hassle.

As far as the supplement, I took it, but not consistently, so I didn't notice any real results. I didn't order it again, but who knows, I might give it another shot one of these days.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #319
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.7/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by julieboolie View Post

TIA!!
Well, this is just my opinion, but I wouldn't start anything the day before a vacation where I was going away. I just wouldn't want to risk it, but I've had no problems with either and I love them, but we are all different. I would wait till I came home
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:41 AM   #320
Senior LCF Member

I use the bio-identical hormones and I couldn't live without them. If I stop the oestrogen for more than a day the hot flashes and shivers creep back.

I'm sure they help with general well being and certainly make sure you get a good sleep. They are the best thing you can do for your skin as you get older. Not sure they do anything to keep you slim. I also take DHEA to balance out the oestrogen and progesterone but mostly it tends to give me spots and a hairy chin so I am cutting back. Not noticed it helping me keep lean. The trouble is you can't do the control experiment so I might have looked like a melon by now without the hormones. My mother certainly packed on the fat at menopause after a lifetime of being skinny.

I'm still within my weight range during my fertile years. I always varied by up to 3 stone. I can lose the weight but I feel that it's harder work this time round. Maybe we just get bored of it all. I know I find it harder to commit all the time to weight loss now. Life is too short to say no to a good feed sometimes. That's why JUDDD appeals.

The Ptero seems to have settled down. No more manic hunger. I think the appetite suppression is back. Sleep is a bit off but I am under stress at the moment and having late evenings working so it may be a co-incidence. My feeling is I have to eat more often to feel good on this but I can eat small portions. So I'm stopping the fasting until 2 I used to do while I see how this suits me. Just a small breakfast at 10 or so and then nibble on my meals during the day.

I did drink wine the night before my hunger pang day. I think the combination of ptero, the alcohol and fasting made me hypo.
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:00 AM   #321
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
Quote:

Babs, I am not through researching this! I have just begun! I am curious as to why some women and specifically menopausal women struggle with losing while fasting??? I am going to take the time to write Dr. Johnson and Dr. Mercola. They may not answer, but it is something that I have witnessed many times with different women on JUDDD. I did take a month long maintenance period, but that is also when I had my better losses. So, I am curious as to why the difficulty in losing? I definitely have better health and much more energy JUDDDing. I just can't seem to lose weight as easy as my young JUDDD friends.
I guess each of us are different. I've been post-menopause (verified with a blood test at doctor's office) for five years. JUDDD is the only system that has allowed me to lose weight consistently, even when I was on medication with a side effect of weight gain (stopped this one month ago). Do you think it may be a matter of perspective? All my life, no matter what I did, I gained weight. With JUDDD, I do lose very slowly, but even 'no gain/loss' registers as a loss for me - does that make sense? I feel that as long as I don't have an average weekly gain, this is a monumental feat. However, JUDDD has rewarded me beyond my wildest dreams and taken my weight as low as I care to go, it seems. I am counting my blessings, and for those JUDDDers that are struggling. I don't worry about what the weight loss slope of younger JUDDDers, they have their own issues to contend with (TOM), been there, done that

Sometimes I don't come back to read threads that I've posted in, so if I don't respond again in the thread, it's because I didn't see it. Thank you for understanding.
Luv2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:18 AM   #322
Senior LCF Member

There is a theory that says the elevated temperature around ovulation burns off fat each month. Maybe it has a small effect.
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:39 AM   #323
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/161.6/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Thanks for your input, experience and advice!!

I'm w/ Carly-even though I'd like the appetite suppression some have experienced, I think it's too big a risk to try on vacation. I'll table my "experiment" until I'm home! Holiday parties and celebrations will be enough territory to try it in a few weeks!

Thanks again!!
julieboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:57 AM   #324
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Have a great time on your vacation Julie!

Luv2Eat! Thank you for reporting! I had a long post in response to you and it vaporized! I have to run, but I do want to say that I completely agree that this is the first time since IF'ing, that my weight has stabilized and slowly went downwards. 44 lbs in 9 months is not bad at all and I am thrilled. I just want to investigate the reasons why it is not a great method for weight loss for some folks. We have had a few older JUDDDers who remained faithful and for quite a long time and did not have any weight loss, even when they did it just the same as the rest of us. Quite frustrating.

I am not going to deny that even losing at a snail's pace is better than gaining! For sure!

I will be back when I have time with a new thread dedicated to the women who are in this category. And hopefully, have something from Dr. J to add.

Also, just a note.... the men did not experience any difficulty with weight loss and in fact, lost much more easier than the women.

Last edited by sunday; 11-14-2012 at 06:59 AM..
Old 11-14-2012, 07:35 AM   #325

Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
I was unable to find the pterostilbene at my Whole Foods. I went the first weekend it was open and the one who was asking if I needed help.....needed help himself LOL. He couldn't find it either. So my Whole Foods either doesn't have it or we couldn't find it. It was crazy in there the first 2 trips we went--too many people. That is how over the moon we are in the fact that we FINALLY have a Whole Foods. But I digress......has anyone found this at Vitamin Shoppe. Before going over there for a special trip, I wanted to know if anyone found this there. I would love to try this. Even though I seem to do very well on my DDs, thanks to the hcg I have been well trained in not eating very much LOL. Thanks!!
i got it at vitamin shoppe and i ordered online earlier
debkeversole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #326

Thanks Deb
Old 11-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #327

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Sunday, I am an older woman (65), although I am in denial!

I had very little to lose when I began JUDDD but I lost quickly and well, and have held my losses.

Although I agree that many older JBs have struggles there are many who had great success. Beeb, Pat, Sazzie and many more.

I see younger women struggling too.

I use Ptero on DDs and I 'think' it helps, but I really am not certain....

I love your research, so will watch with interest. Thank you.
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #328
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Sunday, I am an older woman (65), although I am in denial!

I had very little to lose when I began JUDDD but I lost quickly and well, and have held my losses.

Although I agree that many older JBs have struggles there are many who had great success. Beeb, Pat, Sazzie and many more.

I see younger women struggling too.

I use Ptero on DDs and I 'think' it helps, but I really am not certain....

I love your research, so will watch with interest. Thank you.
Kissa! You look very young for your age ! So I know that JUDDD has done very well for you! As well as Sazzie, Beeb & Pat!

I think if I remember correctly, that post meno seem to do much, much better with weight loss as well. It is pre & peri meno that the study alluded to. And JUDDD is not quite the same as IF they were speaking of. IF usually requires fasting for 16 hours plus with an 8hour or less eating window. JUDDD doesn't require a eating window.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #329

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I always knew I loved you Sunday!
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:11 PM   #330
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!