Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Checking In: One Month in Maintenance

Dear JBs, I reached goal a month ago and haven't been here much due to nonstop job searching, but wanted to check back in today and let you all know how it's going, because I still honestly and truly believe that this is the best woe there is and that maintenance in particular is completely doable and at times even pleasurable eating this way.

All those worries about possibly caving in and going crazy after reaching goal while also being unemployed went away pretty quickly, because I can't seem to let go enough to even "go crazy".

I've upped my calories to about 600-800 DDs and 1900-2200 UDs and upped my total carbs a bit (love my veggies) but despite attempts to have FDs, I always end up weighing and entering every single calorie that goes in my mouth. I do UDs on Tues, Fri and Sun (I like Friday UDs) and DDs on Mon, Wed, Sat, with a MD on Thurs. Still, I wish I could let go a bit more. I've lost a total of 1/2 a pound this month if I take the average of last month compared to this month, so no immediate danger of regaining anything even with upping cals and inserting a MD. I don't know, it's the control freak in me I think. I don't mind it now but there might come a time when the situation in my life changes, where this could work against me, and I'm trying to avoid that before it happens. My long history with dieting has never resulted in reaching goal in the past, yet there were countless regains in weight every single time I lost anything. So maybe I'm just not...at ease with the idea of maintenance yet.

The good news is that I now know for certain that I can do JUDDD forever. I just thought I'd be able to relax a bit more though and try a somewhat strict-ish DD and have free UDs type of thing, but so far that's not happening. Maybe this month I'll try again and see.

That being said, I am thrilled beyond belief that I could raise my calories and insert a MD and not gain and that JUDDD remains fairly easy to live with. It's so odd because I came to JUDDD with a seriously broken metabolism (still suspect I might have thyroid issues due to symptoms I've had for years and looking to get tested sometime in the future when I can afford it) what with not being able to lose at all for 5 months doing very low carb even with all the suggested tweaks and lost at such a snail's pace doing JUDDD (took me over 8 months to lose 19 lbs), but somehow it appears that JUDDD has healed something in me and made a lot of positive changes with my mental and physical health. It's been an amazing journey and continues to be for me. I will not ever give up this feeling of peace I've made with food and my body. All of this was made possible by you wonderful JBs, and I can't thank you all enough, from the bottom of my heart.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
WOWZER~ What a great post~ So comforting to know that in the end, when we all get to where you are.. that its still so easy to keep it off Thank you for posting this.. so re-affirming what we kind of thought would happen..
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
Sounds like a successful month to me! And if you feel more in control weighing and measuring everything, it seems to be working, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I suspect once you've been maintaining for a certain amount of time (to be determined by your own psyche), you will relax a bit. WTG!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #4

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
It's wonderful to hear that you have managed your maintenance weight for a month now, and particularly under the stress of job hunting! You have my admiration.

One thing about maintenance is that it can be so fluid. There can be so many ways to manage it that will work. Obviously what you do right now works well, and perhaps you will get to the point of Free Days interspersed with low Down Days and that will be all that is needed. As has always been the truth with us, so much depends on the foods we eat and how much.. on the rate of our metabolism and the amount of activity we include in our days.

But you're one month into it, and doing well! That's happy and exciting news. Don't be a stranger here. It's great to hear from you.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: 150?/?/135 52yo
WOE: JUDDDish
Beautiful post, V!
Maybe you're just working your way from strict to relaxed. Maybe that's your maintenance mission.
I'm working my way from wingnut crazy to calmly, peacefully consistent. Maybe we'll meet in the middle.
If you care to, I'd love to hear what your DD and UD cals were before, ie how much you raised them by. I'm still searching on that one.
All the best. And thanks. This is inspiring today.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #6

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
I'm so glad that maintenance is working for you! Congratulations on not only reaching goal, but also on managing to maintain that weight! I'm glad you're finding your way into a place of ease and comfort with your weight and with food.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
Stats: 227/175/? 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: started JUDDD 3/22/2012
Very glad to hear your wonderfully inspiring report!

Sending prayers that you find a great job soon!
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

That's true Dawn, one month in is early when compared to the lifetime of maintenance, so I'm definitely keeping that in mind with my being unable to relax as much as I had expected and not letting it bother me.

Kristin, I started out fairly closely to the official calculator numbers with 316/1580 (except I chose to do around 500 instead of going down to 316 for DDs), then edged up to 500/1700, then 500/1800. It was strange but I had to eat a bit higher than calculated to start losing. Early on I usually kept DDs below 450 though. Towards the last several months and up until I reached goal, I was around 550/1850. I kept wanting to push my limits to see what I could get away with and still lose. So now I've given myself about a 200-300 or so calorie increase in maintenance for both DDs and UDs but I eat up to the high number less on UDs than DDs, and results seem to be good. I'm hoping you'll reach your peace and calm as well! Maintenance is definitely fluid as Pat describes, and I feel that we'll get there once we get more used to it.

Thank you all for the continued hugs and support. Sending much love your way because you are all wonderful.

Last edited by vilanteira; 08-01-2012 at 03:15 PM..
Old 08-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Congrats on 1 month of maintenance! And for your weight, that is a serious lot of food! So yeah, I'd say you've done a great job healing your metabolism. Way to go!

At 4 mos into maintenance, I am finally feeling more relaxed about things. I still log everything, but may eyeball it a bit more. And feel comfortable with an uncounted fd every now and then.

I'm learning to listen to my body more. I just had a week of exceptionally low appetite, both on UD and DD. I didn't force it, and just went with the lower cals. There was no effect on my weight, and one day, the appetite was just back. No idea what was going on, but apparently, it's just what I needed to do at the time.

I think you will be able to relax more as you get further along and gain more trust in your ability to maintain.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 59 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Great post! Congratulations on reaching goal and maintaining for a month even with the stress of job hunting. Hope you get a good job soon. Thanks for letting us know how you are doing and please do stick around. We love our JUDD BUDDS.
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/199/147?
WOE: JUDDD modified
Start Date: July 11, 2012
It is so good to hear from maintainers. The idea of not gaining back -- and having fun -- is very exciting. Congratulations!
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Applied to so many jobs this week I can barely see straight, so thanks again for all the well wishes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post
And for your weight, that is a serious lot of food! So yeah, I'd say you've done a great job healing your metabolism. Way to go!
lol it is actually a lot of calories, when I think about it. It helps that I love high fat calorie dense food though, so I never feel like it's too much (in terms of bulk anyway). Thanks Tina. I love to hear how well you're doing listening to your body and letting go a bit, and I really hope to be there one day.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:23 AM   #13

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
What a lovely happy post Vilanteira, I am so happy that you are enjoying maintaining as much as I do.

Now we only need to hear that you have found the job of your dreams.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote