Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<278/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
August Newbies: Post Here!

There is also an "Introduce Yourself" thread in the stickies, but this is a good place to ask questions.

piratejenny is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2012, 06:08 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Thank PJ, I have been remiss!
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SavLexiMom
Stats: 5'7'' 282/210.4/150
WOE: Restarted JUDDD 11/27/12 at 217.8
I had my first DD today and I think I did pretty great! I finished up the day at 501 calories. Any other August newbies??
SavLexiMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CherylS
Stats: 240/190/130
WOE: Was HcG, now Atkins 72
Start Date: July, 2010/July 2012
I've been doing JUDDD for a week. It's getting easier and easier. I've been on one sort of diet or another for 40 years or so. Blech. My most recent victory was HcG, and I lost 80 pounds. Then over the course of a year of high physical and emotional stress, including 2 surgeries and a MONSTER case of shingles that went from the ice pick in my hip to the metal band under my knee cap to the knife in my shin, I gained back about 30 lbs... 20 regular and 10 on meds for the shingles. (My doctor asked me if I was exercising right after she moved my knee walker and asked me why I had a cast on my foot! ) I'm on a very strict diet to manage the PHN pain so I can stay off the meds, which in part means no seeds, nuts or grains. Just to add to the joy of being celiac. It could be worse though. I'm off the knee walker, out of the cast, and mobile again.

I found Carb Zero bread made from oat fiber, and when it didn't trigger the shingles pain I went looking for recipes using it. Instead I found JUDDD and all of you. JUDDD seems to be the Yoga and Zen of the diet world. Or maybe that's just all of you lovelies. I feel like I've been wrapped in a big warm hug.

After 6 rounds of HcG, I knew I couldn't wrap my mind around 5 weeks of 500 cals a day, but I absolutely could wrap my brain around one day of 420 calories and one day of eat the house. Aaaannnndddd repeat. Yesterday was almost a breeze, and today I only ate half the house. And I've posted a much lower goal than I got to on HcG (or anytime after elementary school), because I know I'll get back into my smaller clothes in a month or so, and the rest will take as long as it takes.

Cheryl
CherylS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #5

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Cheryl. This is the most Zen place in the dieting world. I love that description. It's because we actually get to eat however we want, every other day.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SarahJane
Stats: 147/147/135 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD/High Carb Vegan Diet
Start Date: August 2012
Hi Ladies,
I am a longtime lurker here, and I've tried doing JUDDD a couple of times now, most recently a couple weeks ago. The most I've lasted is 2 down days before I'd give in to temptation and fall of the wagon. I know that I need to commit to making JUDDD a way of life and I fully intend to do that because I know that it works! I lost 5 pounds in the few days that I commited myself last time and felt amazing and light. I also believe strongly in the power of intermittant fasting and I know it has many health benefits besides weight loss.

Anyways, I'm finally coming out of the shadows here so that you lovely ladies might be able to hold me accountable. Today started as a down day and by evening turned into an up day

Ever since becoming a SAHM last year, I have a hard time with snacking since I'm home all day and I guess bored. I had two babies 22 months apart and gained 60 pounds with each, and I managed to lose all the weight afterwards, but then the last year it is starting to creep up higher than I would like. Looking at my stats, I know I only have about 10ish pounds to lose, but I am really flabby and just all around unhappy with my looks. I bought Dr. Johnson's book and read it last week, and I am ready to declare that tomorrow (Friday, August 3rd) is my new start to JUDDD and a down day. Please help hold me accountable... I'd appreciate it! And thanks so much in advance! All of your stories and posts are so inspiring... I have done a lot of reading here and I truly hope I can gain the motivation that the rest of you have so that I can begin to truly embrace this wonderful way of eating.

Thanks!
SarahJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:57 AM   #7

Sav, Cheryl, and Sarahjane.

Delighted to see the Newbie thread active, you are in the best, best place to lose weight.

I am glad you are reading around the boards, there are wonderful stories and even more wonderful people here to inspire you on your journeys.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:08 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Erika1962
Stats: 260-181.4-/-170-5'5/51
WOE: Grain/ Sugar free and 4:3
To the newbies! You have found the best support site on the net AND the best WOE!
Erika1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:56 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Norfolk Mermaid
Stats: 189 3/4 / 174 1/2 / 150 (5' 6 1/2") 9/30/1942
WOE: Summer foods- back to UP DAYS/DOWN DAYS Oct. 1, 13
Start Date: 8-3-2012 UD
Glad to see a "August" newbies.

Today is my official 1st day as I get my soc. sec. ck auto deposit the 3rd of each month and can shop for food. I have been here since July going off and on just feeling around. FIRST lesson learned.... Progresso lite soups are way too salty for my system as I have soared up 4.4 lbs in one week. I will seek out low salt chic. and beef. stocks also low fat and add my own frozen veggies. I use for years now the "half salt" by Mortons and those soups overloaded me in a big way.
Lots of gardening- er "weeding" going on today and of course that shopping trip to buy food at Sam's.
Hope you do not get tired of me as I plan to be a fixture around this site for a long while.
bbl OH! today is a UD starting at 189 lbs but I am leaving my tracher at 185.

Norfolk Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahJane View Post
Hi Ladies,
I am a longtime lurker here, and I've tried doing JUDDD a couple of times now, most recently a couple weeks ago. The most I've lasted is 2 down days before I'd give in to temptation and fall of the wagon. I know that I need to commit to making JUDDD a way of life and I fully intend to do that because I know that it works!

Thanks!
Hi everybody, and welcome. This is a great, great place.
Sarah, just wanted to mention that I'm at home many days and I get the challenges with that. It's been huge for me to learn accountability. That part of it is a bit of a solo journey. BUT. We are here to encourage and support each other while each of us learns to do this successfully.
I also wanted to say that if you've done two DDs, you've really experienced the hardest part of it already. After a week, or two weeks max, they get easier. Really. And your early DDs are all about finding out what works for you and what doesn't, so they aren't usually a breeze. And you already know a bit more than when you started the first time.
So take heart knowing you've seen the worst of it already. And if you fall off, don't waste a minute. Just climb back on. No guilt, no self-punishment, none of the old, gross diet behaviors. Just climb back on. This, IMHO, is one of the most beautiful features of JUDDD.
And it helps enormously to be a part of this board. I would have quit within two weeks without it. Visit often and tell us how you're doing.
Happy day, everybody.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SavLexiMom
Stats: 5'7'' 282/210.4/150
WOE: Restarted JUDDD 11/27/12 at 217.8
I introduced myself somewhere last week, but I'll do it again on our newbie thread I'm Mandi and I'm a stay at home mom to my 4 kids- ages 5, 3, and 1 year old twins! I lost 70 lb right before getting pregnant with my twins, but gained back about 50 of it. I've been on Atkins, but wasn't getting results, so thought I'd give JUDDD a try!

I do have a couple questions. I've only had 1 DD so far, but I ate food not shakes as suggested. Is that okay? Will it hurt my results? I'm not opposed to shakes, I just thought I'd be more satisfied with "real" food. Also, I track online and notice my DD had a high percentage of protein, whereas my up days have been high fat, as I've been sticking to my normal Atkins extended induction WOE. Is that okay? I just want to succeed! Thanks for the help and reading my rambling
SavLexiMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi everyone and JoyJoy I liked your post.

Today is an UD but I am watching it close because those calories can add up so very fast. I had a bacon biscuit for breaky and a second coffee but iced with sugar the second time. I had a one sl. xsharp ched with lots of luttuce, a human amount of mayo on 10 grain bread for lunch and a 280 cal Healthy Choice Pasta Marinarra and ice tea through out the day and with supper with Stevia. I AM HUNGRY! and it is an UD. At about 8: ish I will stir fry some frozen veggies and after a few games of double solitaire I will start a novel and just go to sleep. I have been really working hard in the weeding and heat so that may have reved up my being hungry. My biggest demon is portion size so I am really going for getting that at a reasonable basis.
While shopping today I was really checking out the salt/sodium numbers on everything I picked up and was flat out amazed at the sky high numbers in every item I looked at. A lot of items got put right back.
The kitties have had their supper and want to go back out so I will do some more weeding and bbl.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #13

Gallery: Purple Sage
Stats: LCHF no scale - goal size 8 & healthy 14/14/8
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: January 1, 2005 Atkins :'( restart April 2014
Hi all - I am Christa. I am 36 years old, mother of two teenage boys. I home school, work from home as a transcriptionist, and am going to college to get my RN currently. I live in Colorado, love to exercise, hike, run, read, and love the mountains more than anything....except maybe the beach. I cannot wait to get to know all of you.

Just starting JUDDD. Today was my first down day and I feel utterly terrible! My kids are making dinner downstairs and I can smell it and it is killing me! I am at 450 calories for the day and am planning to eat 50 calories of turkey before bed so I can sleep.

Does it get easier? I cannot think, my body temperature is fluctuating, think hot flashes then shakes. I am weak. I normally run 4-5 miles every other day, which I did yesterday on my up day, and then walk 2-3 miles on the other days and do weights. I don't think I can walk around the block tonight!

I want to make this work. I ruined my metabolism in college with anorexia. I gained a ton of weight with 5 pregnancies (3 miscarriages) in 4 years. Then used atkins to lose 100 pounds. I stayed on atkins at low calories and high protein and started exercising and then started gaining weight. No explanation because I tracked everything so carefully. So I stopped Atkins and started doing WW, which worked well for about 13 pounds and then I started gaining with that, still tracking everything. I think this could work for me if I can stick out the down days because I won't feel deprived, and also my metabolism might get "fixed". I thought about doing HCG but the many many days of extreme calorie restriction got the No Go from my eating disorder counselor that I see 2x a year still. She did give me the go ahead on this one if I can stick with it.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

everybody!!!
I haven't been keeping up with newbie threads but I thought I'd poke my head in & see if I can be helpful.
I'm not a poster girl for JUDDD (do a lot of tweaks, slip into other forms of IF, struggle to lose 2 or 3lbs/month) but I have an annoyingly good memory so when I read a question, I can sort of do mental polls/summaries of what other members have gone through, and I hope that will provide decent answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavLexiMom View Post
I do have a couple questions. I've only had 1 DD so far, but I ate food not shakes as suggested. Is that okay? Will it hurt my results? I'm not opposed to shakes, I just thought I'd be more satisfied with "real" food. Also, I track online and notice my DD had a high percentage of protein, whereas my up days have been high fat, as I've been sticking to my normal Atkins extended induction WOE.
Lots of people do real food for exactly that reason, as well as affordability and/or the preference to eat "clean" foods rather than processed ones. It shouldn't hurt your results at all.

High protein DDs and high fat UDs is a common pattern around here, especially if you prefer lower carb.
Even on DDs, if you eat lots of vegetables, your carbs will stay pretty low, and there just aren't many calories left for fat!
Some people feel better on carbs like oatmeal, others need to eat mostly protein (low/non-fat Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, egg whites, shrimp, tilapia, lean turkey & chicken) to feel full.

I like whole eggs, mayo, NON-lean meats, nuts, avocados, herring, full-fat cheese & other dairy, etc and believe that fat is good for us, so since my DDs are low-fat I try to "stock up" on UDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Sage View Post
Just starting JUDDD. Today was my first down day and I feel utterly terrible! My kids are making dinner downstairs and I can smell it and it is killing me! I am at 450 calories for the day and am planning to eat 50 calories of turkey before bed so I can sleep.

Does it get easier? I cannot think, my body temperature is fluctuating, think hot flashes then shakes. I am weak. I normally run 4-5 miles every other day, which I did yesterday on my up day, and then walk 2-3 miles on the other days and do weights. I don't think I can walk around the block tonight!
What are your DD calories?
Did you calculate according to your exercise level?
A lot of people have started at 700 rather than the recommended 500. You can pick a higher percentage. You can always work your way down by 50 or 100 cals if you want.

The 1st week or two of DDs are the worst for most people.
But, I've seen many people say that their 3rd DD was surprisingly easy.
They were pretty convinced by the 1st 2 DDs that they wouldn't be able to do JUDDD, only to think "I GOT THIS, BRO!" by the 3rd one.

DDs are still rough for me. But the quality of the hunger has changed...whereas I used to feel shaky & confused, I can bear my hunger for hours now. I kinda feel like a tough cookie the longer I can put off eating!

One thing that makes DDs easier for me is knowing what I'm going to eat and sometimes even having it prepared ahead of time. I don't plan as meticulously as others, but I get anxious if I feel like there's no DD food in the house. And If I start cooking when I'm really hungry, I often end up overdoing the calories. If I just reheat something, make a sandwich, or have a yogurt, I usually stay in control.
New lows, 2014:
7/27 275.4
Old 08-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #15

Jennie: Hi, thanks for the welcome. My DD calories are supposed to be 487. With 20% restriction. I am shooting for just staying at 500 today.

Thanks for the reassurance. I will be sure to stick it out until the 3rd DD. And preparing things in advance is a really good idea. I am thinking ahead at this point to what I can eat tomorrow! I actually am just looking forward to eating ANYTHING!
Purple Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

PS for Christa:

Your body can interpret exercise as stress, and hold on to fat even if your calories are low and you're exercising a lot (as it sounds you were doing with both Atkins & WW).

Some WL/healing programs recommend taking a break from exercise for two weeks and really nourishing yourself well during that time.

Does that make you go or could you give yourself a break?

I like to think of it in caveman terms...

If you're exercising & exercising & not eating much, your body is thinking, "Wow, we were out all day and there's no food anywhere!!! We walked for miles & miles and all we found were a few berries and a carrot! We better stay fat until we get to better hunting grounds!"

But if you're eating well and resting, your body's thinking, "We didn't have to walk anywhere, but there's food. We don't have to be fat now because everything is awesome!!!"

Some programs advocate short, intense workouts. Like 12-20 minutes of kettlebells. Or doing cardio, but with really short, fast sprints. Then have some protein.
I like to think of the sprints as chasing down an antelope & the kettlebells as hauling it back to the village. Then we get to eat it! Yay!

(I hope I'm not offending any vegetarians! )

(I also pretend I'm being chased by a bear when I do my sprints. lol.
Intense exercise is supposed to be good for breaking down the stress hormones like adrenaline & cortisol.)

Last edited by piratejenny; 08-03-2012 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: re-write sentence
Old 08-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #17

I could do 2 weeks of rest probably, or just walking and not running. I have really severe ADD and I hate taking the meds for it, but if I run it helps me focus. I love my exercise but I could even do shorter less intense workouts for a while, even just a half hour hike would be good exercise and would feel like resting to my body!
Old 08-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

One quick thought...I think with IF, as with ketogenic diets, your body has to get used to burning fat rather than carbs, and it can be an uncomfortable adjustment.

Some say coconut oil is helpful during this transition, as the fats in it can easily be used by the brain
(rather than waiting for body fat to be converted to fuel).

I would also be sure to get plentiful omega-3s during this time, if possible (DD calories can make it difficult),
Old 08-04-2012, 04:52 AM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Good Morning.

1st official DD so I will be putting off eating for long periods at a time today and tonight.
Having my coffee and pills then out in the heat and humidity to pull weeds again for the 5 day this week with hopes of finishing the drive way before monday. I will try to slow my pace though without having my UD cals.
bbl
Old 08-04-2012, 05:24 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Stats: 293+/177/169; 5'6", 52 yrs
WOE: JUDDD / Fast-5
Start Date: 6/7/12
Fluctuate carbs?

Has anyone succeeded with doing this twist on JUDDD:

Rather than fluctuating calories, fluctuate carbs?

I've been low carbing, but intrigued over JUDDD.
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:52 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenericstewart View Post
Has anyone succeeded with doing this twist on JUDDD:

Rather than fluctuating calories, fluctuate carbs?

I've been low carbing, but intrigued over JUDDD.
I have heard of plans which cycle carbs rather than calories, but that's not JUDDD. JUDDD is all about the calories. However, just given the differences in your UD and DD calories, there's some natural carb fluctuations which occur. There are plenty of people who do JUDDD low-carb. Hopefully one of them will pop in and have some information.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:53 AM   #22
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
It is just nromal for me to do LC on DD's due to appetitie suppression. I eat mostly eggs on DD's, then regular foods on UD's. BUT it is the calorie up and down that is the key to JUDDD. You can do anything you want to in addition to following the UD/DD rotation, keeping to your calories from Dr. J's calculator.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:39 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I have heard of plans which cycle carbs rather than calories, but that's not JUDDD.
What would that plan be called then?

The reason I ask is because I stumbled upon losing weight with lower carbs (long story), and was astonished when I'd actually lost weight.

After counting calories for 40 years, I've come to the conclusion that for ME, counting calories does not work. I'm assuming that my weight loss will slow, and so I'm contemplating cycling carbs to counteract the dreaded inevitability.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:52 AM   #24

I just did a Google search using "carb cycling" and got 382,000 hits. I'm sure there's more than one plan using carb cycling.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:57 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenericstewart View Post
What would that plan be called then?

The reason I ask is because I stumbled upon losing weight with lower carbs (long story), and was astonished when I'd actually lost weight.

After counting calories for 40 years, I've come to the conclusion that for ME, counting calories does not work. I'm assuming that my weight loss will slow, and so I'm contemplating cycling carbs to counteract the dreaded inevitability.
That is what I thought too. I was wrong.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:12 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I just did a Google search using "carb cycling" and got 382,000 hits. I'm sure there's more than one plan using carb cycling.
Thank you!!!
Old 08-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Welcome Cheryl! There are lots here who came from hcg and are doing well with JUDDD. Good to have you!

SarahJane--accountability is SO important! You can do this, and we are here to help. The first few dd's really are the hardest. It may seem unbelievable that they get better, but they really do. And it's amazing how I actually look forward to them if I've had a couple days off plan. And if you need to, for the first couple of weeks, it is ok to start out at 700 or 800 calories, and then work down as you start to get the hunger suppression benefits of the sirtuin enzymes. Much preferable to do that than to simply quit. I'm home everyday too, and understand the easy availability of food. I'd say don't have it in the house, which I could do if I were the only one living here, but I know that isn't always realistic when there are others there too. Just make sure you have snacks that are ok for you to have. Plan for snacks just as you plan for meals. If you plan into your day a sf jello at 3pm, it isn't cheating.

Welcome Lainey! I hope you got lots of yummy goodness to get you going on this great woe.

SavLexiMom--welcome! You are a busy mama! What fun. At one time, I had a 5, 3 and 1 yo--I can't imagine the chaos if there'd been 2 one year olds. Totally ok to do real food on DD's. Dr. J just made that suggestion to try to make it easy on people to not have to count so much. I did real food too.

Hi Christa! We homeschool too (thus the userid). I have an at home business as well (currently on hiatus from that though). Can't imagine throwing college into the mix. When do you sleep? It DOES get easier. See my advice to SarahJane above about starting out a little higher if you need to, and working down. Some people find they lose quite well on 700 cal dd's and never go lower. No need to feel that awful. And if you are waiting to have your cals later in the day, it might work better to spread them out more. At first, I HAD to have something for breakfast or I'd get shaky, headachy and miserable to be around. Now, I can easily fast through till lunch (although I don't on the advice of my naturopath due to adrenal issues). So try a few more cals on the dd and see if that helps. Great to have you here!

jenericstewart--There is something special about the up and down nature of JUDDD that is far superior to any simple calorie counting plan. I was stalled out completely on 1100 calories of paleo-style eating (I had lost 20 pounds if 4 mos with it, and then nothing for over 2 mos). When I came to JUDDD, it took a month for some metabolic healing to happen, but then I lost. I had some fits and starts due to being diagnosed with food allergies, switching back and forth with maintenance and then wlm again, but by 4 mos in to JUDDD, I'd lost to 6 pounds below my original goal, and have now maintained that (easily) for the past 4 mos. My carbs typically cycle between 40-60 g and 90-120 grams (DD/UD). I eat almost no grain, no refined sugar and limited starchy veggies, so that's all from nuts/nut butter, veggies, and other incidentals. Just don't assume the calorie cycling won't work for you because counting cals didn't work in the past. It's a whole new ballgame with JUDDD.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #28

Mykidsteacher:
Thanks for all the info. Very helpful.

I did discover something yesterday, I think shakes are not that great of a plan for me, maybe one a day but otherwise I need something more filling that digests more slowly. So, here is what I discovered last night...I have this fiber cracker from Vitamin Cottage, and have seen them on Amazon, didn't find them on netrition though. They are only 12 calories but really, really filling. I had one of those, 3oz of fat free deli turkey (75 calories) and one slice of cheese (40 calories) for about 130 calorie snack that was extremely filling and I felt great and slept all night.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:38 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

what's the name/brand of the cracker?
Old 08-04-2012, 08:52 AM   #30

Scandanavian bran crispbread

I did find it on netrition!

http://www.netrition.com/gg_bran_crispbread_page.html

It is out of stock there but that gives you a picture. I get it at vitamin Cottage and have ordered the whole case from the place with an A in the name. It completely resolves my "bathroom issues". It is really bland, but wow does it work!

Last edited by Purple Sage; 08-04-2012 at 08:54 AM..