Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #91
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Thank you all for the warm wishes. This week was much better. Work stress, but some how I don't mind that as much. I can leave it at the door most days. I see patients 2 days a week and 3 days a week I work as our Quality Assurance Director. Those are also 2 totally different types of stress.

Congrats on the play Kristen. I'm also a recovering actress. Worked from the time I was a kid till age 21. I was going to NYU to get my BFA and woke up one morning with the fear that I may never know when my next check is coming. 15 years later... I've been a therapist for the last decade. Sadly, for the sake of the society as a whole, therapists are in high demand!
75.8 lbs were evicted in less than 14 months!
Called goal on 2/5/13 at 126.8. I can wear size 4P!

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Hi everybody. I'm going to a first read through of a play of mine tonight. Holy mackerel, I feel as though I swallowed a blender, I'm so nervous. You spend forever with these characters in your head. You fall in love with them. And then you hear actors do it out loud. Sometimes it's great and sometimes it's horrifying. I'm so glad it's an UD. I'll be doing a couple of glasses of red wine when I get home.
Hope everybody is having a grand day.
I'm peeking in here and I see this. You act AND write plays! See, there are so many creative people on this board. I love it! And also, I agree with you about roles for women.

We've been having a big pie fight over at the historical novel society about the fact that historical fiction written by women frequently wins awards, but historical fiction written _about_ women, with a female protagonist, are almost never taken seriously in literary circles.

Last edited by stephdray; 08-10-2012 at 09:44 PM..
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitlin' View Post
Don't hire dumb.
Best quote ever.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:43 PM   #94
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylS View Post
I could maybe become one of those people who forget to eat! You know, those annoying thin people we laugh at.
I've forgotten to pay bills.
Forgotten to do laundry.
Forgotten to pick up my kids.
But I've never forgotten to eat.

Maybe that's about to change.
*grin* This cracked me up.

I'll let you know the day that I forget to eat all day. I don't see it happening. But I'll be thrilled for you if you manage it
Old 08-11-2012, 07:52 AM   #95
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Def a lot of talented people here.

I have trouble getting in my UD cals sometimes, but I still don't think I can say I've ever forgotten to eat. LOL

Just finished reading a great series by Francine Rivers--The Mark of the Lion. Looked for you books in my library Steph, and they don't have them! I'm going to request them. (we live in Hooterville, so have a pretty small library. But they are working on improving the selection).
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:00 AM   #96
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post
Def a lot of talented people here.

I have trouble getting in my UD cals sometimes, but I still don't think I can say I've ever forgotten to eat. LOL

Just finished reading a great series by Francine Rivers--The Mark of the Lion. Looked for you books in my library Steph, and they don't have them! I'm going to request them. (we live in Hooterville, so have a pretty small library. But they are working on improving the selection).
Although my area of study is the pre-Christian Roman era, that series by Francine Rivers looks really good. I love sweeping sagas.

Definitely request my books! And if the library needs convincing--but they probably won't-- you can tell them that Song of the Nile was a RITA Award nominated book and that the third book in the trilogy will be out in 2013

We had librarians come in and talk to our writing organization last month and I learned just how powerful a customer request could be!
Old 08-11-2012, 08:08 AM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Steph, Tina, same story at my library. I'll make the request.
In theatre, an international competition that blinds the names of playwrights has an equal distribution of male and female winners.
Across the US, only 20 - 30% (I think it's closer to 20%) of plays staged are by women.
Lastly, when plays with fake playwright names are sent to theatres across the US (this isn't picking on the US, it just happens to be where these studies are), they are "ranked" by artistic directors of professional theatres as better if those fake names are male. Even the female ADs rank the fake male playwrights as better.
Lots to do.

Last edited by Joyjoy; 08-11-2012 at 08:09 AM..
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:30 AM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Steph, Tina, same story at my library. I'll make the request.
In theatre, an international competition that blinds the names of playwrights has an equal distribution of male and female winners.
Across the US, only 20 - 30% (I think it's closer to 20%) of plays staged are by women.
These are interesting stats. Certainly worthy of deep thought.

In the historical fiction genre we have plenty of successful female writers, but we're concerned about whether or not material that features a female protagonist is taken seriously. We actually had all sorts of people involved in the argument imply that historical women just weren't as interesting as men, which I find frustrating. Just because historical women weren't fighting battles (and some of them were), doesn't mean their lives are less worthy of study, IMO.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #99
Major LCF Poster!

In fact, I think of the Josephine B trilogy, which has been a far more interesting and entertaining approach than anything else to Napoleon, for me. My god, I cannot handle much historical non-fiction. Love a story.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #100
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Re-started Judd on 8.5.14
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 3.26.12
Hey Stephdray - avid reader here, just ordered Lily of the Nile for Kindle and look forward to reading it. You may be building a whole new audience on LCF!
TryingJudd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:03 AM   #101
Major LCF Poster!

Hey lovely jbs, I'm off and away for two to three weeks of film/theatre stuff. Looking forward to another round of travel with maintenance JUDDDing.
See you anon.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:32 AM   #102
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryingJudd View Post
Hey Stephdray - avid reader here, just ordered Lily of the Nile for Kindle and look forward to reading it. You may be building a whole new audience on LCF!
Oh yay! I hope you love it. And I can take it, even if you don't

Meanwhile, I wanted to send out my love to Carly. I'm so sorry to hear about her loss.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #103
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoWeigh
Stats: 58 Yrs. & Hypothyroid
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD April 1st January – March ate LC/LC
I seem to be stuck.
I've learned that major stressors stall me. I had one nearly three weeks ago my weight is just sitting here at the same two-pound range since then. I guess I'll look at the month as maintenance and adjustment and BELIEVE that the magic will commence whenever it does.
Just wanted to check in to say that I am here, just quietly sitting in the corner hoping for the best.
NoWeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:30 AM   #104
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BaileysGirl
Stats: 222/190.5/175
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: Jan 12 2013
Checking in...Still Maintaining...At least I know I can utilize this WOE to maintain my weight loss! BUT I still need to lose vacation weight...struggling for weeks on end to get back into a strict rotation. Going out of town for Labor Day weekend so hopefully with that in mind will help to kick my butt into weight loss mode at least back down to stat weight! Here we go...Got 16ish days...Planning on a MD or a couple of UD b/c my birthday this weekend and will be out of town...too many out of towners...UGH!

Natasha

BaileysGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:31 AM   #105
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWeigh View Post
I seem to be stuck.
I've learned that major stressors stall me. I had one nearly three weeks ago my weight is just sitting here at the same two-pound range since then. I guess I'll look at the month as maintenance and adjustment and BELIEVE that the magic will commence whenever it does.
Just wanted to check in to say that I am here, just quietly sitting in the corner hoping for the best.
Hopefully there will be a whoosh when your body finally gives in.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #106
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
Start Date: March, 2009
Don't want to make a thread about this or get too excited in case it fizzles, but really wanted to tell that my husband is trying JUDDD now.

I've been hoping for this, not only for these most recent few months with you guys, but several times before, including when I first started JUDDD in '09. So you can see I thought this would NEVER happen.

What changed? (drumroll please)

It was getting him to watch on youtube the BBC program Stargazer suggested to us, "Horizon: Eat, Fast and Live Longer" (in her thread of the same name).

So, a BIG recommendation from me: If there is a man in your world you wish would consider either JUDDD OR just consider healthier eating/less eating .... .... GET HIM TO WATCH THAT PROGRAM!

It really speaks to men, I think, possibly because the presenter is a good, decent "everyman" finding out in his 50s that his bloodwork doesn't show him to be the healthy guy he always was, and it's food that's done it. Alternate Day gives him a new chance.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #107
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: divinemsm54
Stats: 254/173/150
WOE: JUDDD, mod. carb, HCG
Start Date: 7/15/12
Oooh, I feel your pain, my JUDDD bud! I'm in the same boat, no losses now for 3 weeks after a stellar week one (down over 5 pounds), sigh. No stressor for me to explain it, either, double sigh. I will say however that whenever I start a new regimen, this is my pattern: big loss first week, tiny loss 2nd, then nothing. After a month I usually give up and go looking for the next magic diet bullet. I'm going to try my hardest to not do that this time and stick with JUDDD, in hope against hope I start losing again...eventually. I also made an appt. with my doc to have my thyroid levels checked, as I have some of the symptoms of low t., plus I would so love to have something other than my own recalcitrance to blame this on! I noticed you listed hypothyroid in your blurb---are you on supplemental t.? and have you noticed any help with losing weight, if you are? Same question to any of you out there with hypothryroid, please! Also, if any of you have stalled early on, how long did it last before the evil instrument (scale) started moving again? And sadly, no, I'm not losing inches either...

--patty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWeigh View Post
I seem to be stuck.
divinemsm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:43 AM   #108
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I'm newly diagnosed and meds have not yet been optimized (though my doctor thinks they are since TSH is in range, but T3 is low and he doesn't want to do anything about it). I've had a couple of increases on T4 (Levothyroxine) and am currently at 75 mcg. I haven't noticed any difference in my rate of loss. I was losing great before I was diagnosed and slowed down after, but that was also after a significant loss (50 lbs or so), so I don't feel it's related. I'm a slower loser now, but I think it's because I'm a smaller person now.

I lost well weeks one and two, gained week three, then continued to lose. Sometimes our bodies are just weird and do their own thing, no matter how "on plan" we are, and you just have to give your body time to adjust.

10/24/11 @ 277.6
January 2014 @ 145
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:39 AM   #109
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoWeigh
Stats: 58 Yrs. & Hypothyroid
Start Date: JUDDD April 1st January – March ate LC/LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by divinemsm54 View Post
Oooh, I feel your pain, my JUDDD bud! I'm in the same boat, no losses now for 3 weeks after a stellar week one (down over 5 pounds), sigh. No stressor for me to explain it, either, double sigh. I will say however that whenever I start a new regimen, this is my pattern: big loss first week, tiny loss 2nd, then nothing. After a month I usually give up and go looking for the next magic diet bullet. I'm going to try my hardest to not do that this time and stick with JUDDD, in hope against hope I start losing again...eventually. I also made an appt. with my doc to have my thyroid levels checked, as I have some of the symptoms of low t., plus I would so love to have something other than my own recalcitrance to blame this on! I noticed you listed hypothyroid in your blurb---are you on supplemental t.? and have you noticed any help with losing weight, if you are? Same question to any of you out there with hypothryroid, please! Also, if any of you have stalled early on, how long did it last before the evil instrument (scale) started moving again? And sadly, no, I'm not losing inches either...

--patty
Get yours checked! You may be fighting an uphill battle if it's off.

I've been on levoxyl for a many years now. It took a long time to get to a dosage where I am fairly stable. I have to have it checked every three months and sometimes the dosage gets tweaked.

I had an awful time trying to lose weight before finding JUDDD, even though I was on thyroid meds. I was able to push my calories down very low for long periods of time and still just hang on to a lot of extra weight. I actually think I played havoc with my metabolism and I thought it was forever broken. Then I found JUDDD and (excluding the last three weeks) it has been amazing for me. I still have a lot of weight to lose. I think my body is simply resting, pausing. There has been a lot of change for me since the first of the year. I believe that the magic will commence again soon.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:09 AM   #110
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I'm newly diagnosed and meds have not yet been optimized (though my doctor thinks they are since TSH is in range, but T3 is low and he doesn't want to do anything about it). I've had a couple of increases on T4 (Levothyroxine) and am currently at 75 mcg. I haven't noticed any difference in my rate of loss. I was losing great before I was diagnosed and slowed down after, but that was also after a significant loss (50 lbs or so), so I don't feel it's related. I'm a slower loser now, but I think it's because I'm a smaller person now.

I lost well weeks one and two, gained week three, then continued to lose. Sometimes our bodies are just weird and do their own thing, no matter how "on plan" we are, and you just have to give your body time to adjust.
Is he willing to prescribe cytomel (T3)? I take 75mcg levothyroxine and 5mcg T3 (I take the generic) every day and it really helps. If you aren't converting the T4 to T3, then adding more T4 will not make a difference. My doctor was skeptical about the T3, but somehow I convinced him (he always forgets he prescribed it too when I go back for a check up - like he's surprised he would ) and it has made a big impact on my energy levels and helped other thyroid symptoms.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:22 AM   #111

I specifically asked for Cytomel and he says he doesn't know enough about it to feel comfortable prescribing it. I then changed doctors, hoping my new GP would prescribe it, and he didn't even test for T3 even when I told him I was low. I'm searching for an Endocrinologist who will test everything and prescribe accordingly, but it's all so overwhelming. My MIL is on Armour and she's sub-clinical, but she had to go to some out-of-pocket place and paid a fortune for testing and treatment. I can't do that right now.

ETA: The new doctor even told me he won't prescribe anything else until I'm at 200 mcg Levothyroxine and TSH is still off. Um, how does that make sense?! If I can't convert it, why throw more T4 at the problem? Okay, sorry, rant over. Grr.

Last edited by KeirasMom; 08-14-2012 at 09:24 AM..
Old 08-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #112

Gallery: toomuchbooty
Hello everyone! It's so frustrating trying to find a doctor that is willing to go the extra mile isn't it?

I have had some serious health issues over the past few years including but limited to weight gain, muscle pain, fatigue, joint pain, bacterial vaginosis (tmi), brain fog and depression. I have had so much blood work done and everything comes back as within range. I was looking over everything the other day and noticed that neither my family doctor or my gyno requested my Vitamin D levels. I had read that low Vitamin D can cause all the symptoms I listed above. I'm now totally convinced that is the answer. It makes perfect sense. I am a black female living in a low sunlight climate (rainy Vancouver). Even if I do get some sun, my melanin helps block out the rays. I'm really hoping this is the answer!

Back from Zambia! Pictures on my blog.
toomuchbooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #113
Major LCF Poster!

toomuchbooty, you deserve to get your vitamin D level in hard copy to file at home, so you can refer to it yourself in the future. Please don't be satisfied until you have been informed of your exact level, okay? (Pet peeve of mine that dr's offices call and say it's "within limits" and expect that to be enough info!)

Insurance companies do pay for the bloodwork on that, btw. D-3 is the one you want to use as a supplement, but you probably already know that. Also, check out the sprays that are available, so that it goes right into your bloodstream from the mouth tissues and is assimilated even better. Our doctor wants us to aim for 50 ng/ml. That can take time to reach, but it's worth it, and Vitamin D supplementation has been proven to have no toxicity up to 10,000 IU per day and beyond - they just can't seem to find a toxicity for it. Also, get some sun when you can.

Best wishes!

Well, editing because I never said you are exactly right that all those issues could be related to low vitamin D level. Totally involved, too, with lung health, breathing, sinus, all respiratory.

Last edited by Whitlin'; 08-14-2012 at 10:43 AM..
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:55 AM   #114

Whitlin- Thanks for the encouragement to continue this line of investigation. In my Province, we can view our lab results online...so you know I go over them with a fine tooth comb!

I started taking some D3 a few weeks back (only 2000). I've recently upped it to 4000. I will try to get in to my doctor this week for a proper test. I really think this might be the answer.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

I think you are wise to have chosen the 4,000.

Smiling at myself for reassuring a Canadian about insurance, btw.
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #116
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Hey ladies, maybe y'all already know about this
but I read this suggestion somewhere to ask at your pharmacy for a list of doctors who prescribe Cytomel, if your doc won't and you don't know of any who do. HTH!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:11 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitlin' View Post

Smiling at myself for reassuring a Canadian about insurance, btw.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:13 AM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Well, there's a number I haven't seen since late March--129. Yikes. Spent all day yesterday at the State Fair, so a little sunburned, a lot dehydrated, and a bit sore from all the walking. Then had supper at Applebee's where I completely ignored the fact that I have a dairy allergy and had Fiesta Lime chicken, including the ooey gooey cheese melted on top. I'm likely retaining just a bit of fluid. Output has exceeded input by quite a lot so far. Drinking lots of lemon water, having a good dd (going for no more than 500 cals), and being fanatical about NO wheat and NO dairy/eggs.

Dh and I have been using vit D-3 drops. I have proof it works based on bloodwork--I was low, used 5 drops a day and it actually went a little high after 5 mos, so backed off to 2 drops/day and I am right where my doc wants me to be. Even my dh, who is a farmer, works outside everyday, and rarely uses sunscreen except at the beginning of the season, was low on vit D when tested a few weeks ago. It is REALLY hard to get enough vitD from the sun. And if you use sunscreen, it blocks vit D production as well.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:10 PM   #119
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post
Dh and I have been using vit D-3 drops. I have proof it works based on bloodwork--I was low, used 5 drops a day and it actually went a little high after 5 mos, so backed off to 2 drops/day and I am right where my doc wants me to be. Even my dh, who is a farmer, works outside everyday, and rarely uses sunscreen except at the beginning of the season, was low on vit D when tested a few weeks ago. It is REALLY hard to get enough vitD from the sun. And if you use sunscreen, it blocks vit D production as well.
Cool--did you see my post about Vitamin D in the Diatomaceous Earth thread?

That's really something, that your farmer DH was low, too!!!

How much D-3 is in the drops you use?
I see some have 1000 IU, others have 5000.

My current bottle is 5000 IU and I'm taking one a day, but there are only a few pills left. I'm thinking of getting liquid D cuz it would be so much cheaper, and I also read that you can put it directly on the scalp if you're experiencing hair loss.
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #120

Just mentioning my weekend plans ~ totally off topic!

Here's what we've decided to do for the last weekend before school starts:

From the Sugar Pine Railroad website @ Special Events
(I hope I can link that here. All they sell are tickets to their events.)

MOONLIGHT SPECIAL

A 36 year tradition at the Yosemite Mountain Sugar Pine Railroad, the spectacular, fun filled Moonlight Special operates Saturday and Wednesday nights in summer. The evening begins with a delicious New York steak BBQ dinner and music by Sugar Pine. Chuck, Dave, Robyn and Gina add that special mountain charm to the evening with old fashioned ballads and toe tappin’ melodies.

Then it’s ALL ABOARD for the Logger Steam Train excursion through the woods as the conductor’s narration recalls the past when loggers and Shay steam engines ruled the woods. Clap and sing along around the campfire when the train stops-over in Lewis Creek Canyon. Hear the long, lonesome whistle blow on your trip under the stars as the locomotive chugs its way back to the station. Reservations are suggested for this very popular event. Please see schedule for dates and times.

I called and they said we can bring our dog along if we so choose. Trying to convince DH we should go up early and do a little hike or gold-mining or something.

Sunday will be back-to-school shopping. Keira's already decked out with plenty of uniforms, but needs new tennis shoes and all the assorted and sundry papers, pencils, crayons, glue, etc.

Labor Day weekend, we're going to Sacramento for Gold Rush Days. We're going to take the train and stay in Old Town for the whole weekend. I'm trying to find Keira a period costume to wear.

Some days I just my life.

Anyone else have fun plans coming up?