Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Tall JUDD BUDDS: What's your story?

I have been thinking about this for a while. Every time I read someone's story, I tend to glance over at their stats.

Don't you think it's amazing that we have so many tall-ish Budds??

I thought it might be fun if we share our stories and our goals with each other but I don't want to exclude any BUDDs or anyone at all from hopping in and sharing as well.

One thing I've noticed is that I see some 5'10" gals with goal weight way less than mine. Sometimes I feel embarrassed about only wanting to get to 180, although I know that could change with I finally get back there. I probably will want to get lower. But for now, I just want to get back there!

How/why did you choose the goal weight for you?

Have you always struggled with your weight?

Throughout your life, when you wanted to lose weight, did you do low carb or some other WOE? Like me, did things that worked years ago stop working at some time during your life?

How did you find or hear about JUDD?

Did you ever wish you were shorter? I did for a long time, but now I embrace my height.

Anyway, jump in if you want to chat, if you have any questions or if you would be willing to share your story, struggles, triumphs or anything at all!

Love you, my JUDD BUDDs!!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Hello YamYam, YOU should not be embarrassed one bit! Just sayin'!

You look amazing and I think you should keep your goal that you have set.

I am 5'4" and my goal now is 150 which is not small, but it gets me into my normal BMI and a size 6-8 which is just fine with me. Also, I have a sneaking suspicion that once I get there, I will lose some more while in maintenance and that is really my hope and plan.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

About me

My story is that I was a chubby teenager. I lost 55 pounds doing Dr. Stillman's QWL diet after my older brother talked me into doing it with him over the summer. Using the principles in that book and with lots of regular exercise, I managed to stay slim for all of my adult life until my early 50's. That's when menopause hit and simultaneously I severely injured my back.

Have to say I bless the day Dr. Stillman wrote that book and the day my brother bought it! After that first summer, any time I would gain 3 pounds, I would go right back to low carb until I got it back off.

That did not work after the back injury and menopause showing up. The weight started coming on rapidly. I gained 20 pounds that year. The next year I lost 15 pounds from January til April. It didn't stay off. By the end of the year I had gained back the 15 pounds lost and added 10 more for a total gain that year of 25 pounds. Every year since then has been the same. Lose 10; gain 15. Lose nothing. Gain 5. Lose 20. Gain 25. That yo-yoing kept up until last year, at age 57, I weighed my highest ever at 230 by the end of July.

I was totally disgusted with myself. But, I noticed the hot flashes and all other weird hormonal symptoms (including wanting to sleep all the time) had vanished. My doctor confirmed that I am now post-menopausal. Yay!

So, after crying and sobbing about my out of control weight for 2 hours one morning, I rolled up my sleeves and decided it was time to try again.

It was right before DS and his wife celebrating their 9th wedding anniversary. We were looking at wedding pictures and I saw myself and couldn't believe it! I remember thinking I was FAT because the scale number was 180. I was working out like a crazy woman every day for weeks before the wedding and, as always, going back to low carb to try to keep my weight down. But, last year, looking at those pictures I realized that I was slim and trim and healthy looking!

That's how I set my goal weight. I got the dress I wore to DS's wedding out of the closet and dubbed it one of my goal dresses (the other goal dress is the little black dress I wore to the rehearsal dinner). I thought if I could weigh 180 and fit into those dresses again, I would be happy.

This is getting too long and I don't know if anybody really wants to hear it, so I'll stop now! Sure is therapeutic for me, though!
Old 07-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Hello YamYam, YOU should not be embarrassed one bit! Just sayin'!

You look amazing and I think you should keep your goal that you have set.

I am 5'4" and my goal now is 150 which is not small, but it gets me into my normal BMI and a size 6-8 which is just fine with me. Also, I have a sneaking suspicion that once I get there, I will lose some more while in maintenance and that is really my hope and plan.
I just love you, Sunday!!! So, you understand my 180, right? I always feel the need to explain myself. And, it's hard to explain that I carry my weight pretty good. I'll bet you do as well.

Maybe what I'm trying to do is talk myself into being OK with my slow/no losses right now. There is this part of my brain telling me I need to beat myself up and feel more disgusted about the high number on the scale. But, then, there is this other part of my brain saying, "For the first time in years you like seeing yourself in pictures and in mirrors! So, just Shut Up dark side of the brain!"
Old 07-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I saw this quote about Meno and it is so funny and I can totally relate.

“I'm what is known as perimenopausal. "Peri", some of you may know, is a Latin prefix meaning 'SHUT YOUR FLIPPIN' PIE HOLE".”
Old 07-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

“I'm what is known as perimenopausal. "Peri", some of you may know, is a Latin prefix meaning 'SHUT YOUR FLIPPIN' PIE HOLE".”
Old 07-30-2012, 12:47 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, I understand and I am having the exact same talk with myself!

I may or may not even stay at my goal, but for the 1st time in about 5 years, I am going to get there.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:47 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I will post my weight loss tale when I get home tonight.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:54 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 48 5'9.. 11-18-14 #176.
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Yam i love your story and i know others are goin to love to read it too..
I was a chubby kidd too..
I was brought up by my mom teaching me things like,, "fatgirls" Dont wear shorts.. "fatgirls" always wear black or navy blue.. Things that i have kept a part of me to this day.. I love my mom.. BUT.. The damage was done.. I cry often.. I know a part of me will forever be unhappy with my body and my minds image.. I loved being tall.. No one was in highschool was 5'10 1/2.. I shrunk as i developed osteopenia in my spine there is some compression in the lower lumbar.. But 5'9 is still a tall drink of water!
I had gotten to 296 after the birth of my sons..( i have 2 boys)
And i think in part thru many abusive relationships i learned to hide in my fat.. i thought i was happy..
Back in "94 i began to lose weight by eating 20 grams or less of fat every day, and dropped to 190 and thought i was doing pretty good.. i kept that off for almost 8 years..
Job change came in 2002 Which put me on my behind all day at a desk,, and up up up went the weight.. In Jan 2012 my hubby decided he was goin to diet and this was goin to be the first time that he and i would try to do somthing like this together..
Enter low carb life style,,, i took out the (whites) that was how i started.. Cleaned the cupboard of all foods.. and only ate from the fridge or freezer.. this took off 11 pounds but took 2 months to do...I was looking for low carb recipies to cook on line.. and found my way to this forum..
I beagan reading all sorts of things in the main forum and felt very shy over there.. eveyr one seamed to be kind of "black or white" on how or what you MUST eat.. I was to afraid to post due to they seamed.. rude..( i dont mean to offend any one) but this is my "tall" tale lol.. i read a JUDDD post from you YAM.. With that cute lil umbrella photo wiht your long leggs.. And i felt like i was "home" in your supportive role you played on that thread...
the more i read the more i "wanted" to ask questions and be aprat of this group .. even i failed at the WOE...I wanted to be apart of the JUDDD family~
So .. here i am.. part of the family .. and i love it here.. I have never found a place in my life that had folks like JUDDD BUDDS .. the love and the support here is unmatched by any where i have ever gone..
1995 190# Low fat
2012 225#
2012 found JUDDD
166# current 2014

Last edited by sterlinggirl; 07-30-2012 at 01:09 PM..
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Sunday.. I love you..You always know how to make me laugh~
Old 07-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

And YamYam.. I know what you are struggling with.. My original goal long ago was to get to 190.. That was a number i knew.. and i thought i could live with..
Since JUDDD works so well.... I just keep pushing the number lower....And for me...I belive its to see if i can..Nothing more..The number i have chose now.. really has no special meaning..other than..."With JUDDD...its possible" .~
Old 07-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Yam, what's tall? For purposes of this chat, I mean. Did I miss that?
Yours in envy,
K
Does hoping for a menopausal growth spurt to take me to 5'11 count?
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Love reading your stories! Tall ladies unite!

I've always wished I was petite. I always hated being taller than all the boys. It really makes me feel unfeminine. However, I notice that when people are taller than me, I tend to get really intimidated. I think I always feel like if I need to beat someone up, I could, but if they are bigger than me, I might not be able to do that or something. Who knows? It makes me at myself.

My mother is like 5'1" and my sis is 5'4" and I'm about 2 inches taller than my dad now (he has back problems), so I definitely always feel huge. I don't know where I get my height from (my mom always said the milk man ). I am asked often to get things off the top shelf at the grocery store. I must look friendly.

I picked my goal weight (and even upped it 5 lbs) based on weights that I have reached in my adult life. I'm also taking into account muscle and my build. I'm ok with the weight I am now, but would like to get down below 160 at some point. I've gone up and down about 40 lbs my entire life (well, since puberty...before that, i was 5'7" and a size 00 -- I can't even imagine...).

It is hard to come up with a goal weight. We are all so different. I am small to medium boned, but wide-framed (broad shoulders/hips). I can see where 10-15 lbs would come off of my frame now and I would not lose muscle tone or look emaciated (upper arms, back/bra line, tummy, and thighs). I'm not interested in being model thin...would just like to be a comfortable size 8. I'd love to be a 6 again, but a 4 will never be possible. I like an athletic body...plus, I'd never be able to eat anything ever and maintain. I want a sustainable, healthy weight.

Last edited by DD80; 07-30-2012 at 01:30 PM..
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:24 PM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post

How/why did you choose the goal weight for you? It's really sort of an arbitrary number. It's right where the BMI charts flip from normal to overweight. Honestly, I think I'd be happier lower, but won't know until I get there. I was 175 when DH and I started dating 13 years ago, and thought I was huge then.

Have you always struggled with your weight? I was a thinnish kid. I had a pretty awful childhood and lived with a ton of stress, and I honestly think that kept me thin. When I graduated high school, the stress had really taken its toll and I was anorexic (in label only, as I ate whatever and whenever I wanted). I was down to 106 pounds. I was put on birth control and a rapid weight "gain" plan involving lots of calories with and between meals. This began a pattern of overeating for the rest of my adult life, which I thought was "healthy" eating because a doctor had instructed me to do so. It took me about a year to gain 20 pounds, and then I never really thought about my weight again. I gradually gained a few pounds each year from then until DH and I started dating.

Throughout your life, when you wanted to lose weight, did you do low carb or some other WOE? Like me, did things that worked years ago stop working at some time during your life? I was 27 when I hit 175 pounds. I was probably closer to 200 before I decided to do anything about it. Since then I've done low carb several times, Nutrisystem, calorie counting, exercise, general "healthy" eating, etc. I either couldn't stick with any of them longer than 3 months, or they just didn't work for me.

How did you find or hear about JUDD? I was on LCF, and kept seeing JUDDD in people's stats. I got curious, came into this forum, and the rest, as they say, is history!

Did you ever wish you were shorter? I did for a long time, but now I embrace my height. I always, always, always wanted to be shorter. I felt like a freak in jr. high and high school. Not to mention trying to find a date as tall as I was. Bleh! I always swore I was going to marry a short man, so my kids could be "normal." Um, yeah, DH is 6'3" and our perfect, beautiful little girl is a 7 year old in a 10 year old's body.

Love you, my JUDD BUDDs!!
Good idea for a thread Yam. We do present a sort of different perspective.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I guess I should answer the questions you asked!!!

Don't you think it's amazing that we have so many tall-ish Budds?? I LOVE that there are so many tall ladies here. It makes me feel like less of an outsider in a weird way. I've always been way taller than all my friends and I feel like the jolly green giant most of the time.

How/why did you choose the goal weight for you?Explained in my comment above.

Have you always struggled with your weight?Explained above, but yes. Puberty was not kind. I just looked at pics from 8th grade on up and it was a yo-yo even in high school. I remember buying size 6 pants at the Gap after losing weight and was proud of that. I remember being about 130-135 when I was in basketball.

Throughout your life, when you wanted to lose weight, did you do low carb or some other WOE? Like me, did things that worked years ago stop working at some time during your life? I remember being able to eat anything I wanted as long as I was in sports. In college, I mostly just cut back and did low fat, including low fat desserts. That always worked. Or, I'd get stressed about school or graduation or the Bar exam and lose 30 lbs without really trying. I was a waitress in college and lost a lot of weight doing that. Oh, and I've done diet pills too... Then the thyroid said, "yeah...no more..." and it's never been the same. I am on the correct meds and feel much better and while weight loss is possible, it isn't as easy as it was before.

How did you find or hear about JUDD? I came to lwo carb forums because I think that low carb is a good way to live, although it is difficult for me. I feel better eating carbs, but really needed to cut down and find an eating plan that worked for me. I also have binge eating tendencies. I saw the JUDDD board and wondered what the heck it was and why was it so active? I've been here since February and must admit, this is the longest I've stuck with anything. And, I still like it! Just having some trouble losing more right now...

Did you ever wish you were shorter? explained above. Short answer - YES!

Last edited by DD80; 07-30-2012 at 01:43 PM..
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Yam, what's tall? For purposes of this chat, I mean. Did I miss that?
Yours in envy,
K
Does hoping for a menopausal growth spurt to take me to 5'11 count?

Tall is whatever it means to you!!

Comment here: In 9th grade I was 5'6" and did not feel tall at all. I was, for a long time, the shortest one in my family including siblings and parents, nieces and nephews, too.

My niece (my oldest sister's second child) was born one month before me and we lived next door so were almost raised like twins. We were in the same classes all through high school.

She grew quickly to be 6'1" tall and very, very skinny. I, at 5'6" was very, very pudgy. When we walked down the hallways together, other kids pointed to us and said "There goes spaghetti and meatball!" Sounds funny now, but back then I was not amused!!!!

I was 5'7" when I graduated high school. Then in my 20's grew to 5'8". Somewhere along the line I added another inch. and even my feet grew to the size of canoes.

Last edited by Yam-Yam; 07-30-2012 at 02:19 PM..
Old 07-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Yam i love your story and i know others are goin to love to read it too..
I was a chubby kidd too..
I was brought up by my mom teaching me things like,, "fatgirls" Dont wear shorts.. "fatgirls" always wear black or navy blue.. Things that i have kept a part of me to this day.. I love my mom.. BUT.. The damage was done.. I cry often.. I know a part of me will forever be unhappy with my body and my minds image.. I loved being tall.. No one was in highschool was 5'10 1/2.. I shrunk as i developed osteopenia in my spine there is some compression in the lower lumbar.. But 5'9 is still a tall drink of water!
I had gotten to 296 after the birth of my sons..( i have 2 boys)
And i think in part thru many abusive relationships i learned to hide in my fat.. i thought i was happy..
Back in "94 i began to lose weight by eating 20 grams or less of fat every day, and dropped to 190 and thought i was doing pretty good.. i kept that off for almost 8 years..
Job change came in 2002 Which put me on my behind all day at a desk,, and up up up went the weight.. In Jan 2012 my hubby decided he was goin to diet and this was goin to be the first time that he and i would try to do somthing like this together..
Enter low carb life style,,, i took out the (whites) that was how i started.. Cleaned the cupboard of all foods.. and only ate from the fridge or freezer.. this took off 11 pounds but took 2 months to do...I was looking for low carb recipies to cook on line.. and found my way to this forum..
I beagan reading all sorts of things in the main forum and felt very shy over there.. eveyr one seamed to be kind of "black or white" on how or what you MUST eat.. I was to afraid to post due to they seamed.. rude..( i dont mean to offend any one) but this is my "tall" tale lol.. i read a JUDDD post from you YAM.. With that cute lil umbrella photo wiht your long leggs.. And i felt like i was "home" in your supportive role you played on that thread...
the more i read the more i "wanted" to ask questions and be aprat of this group .. even i failed at the WOE...I wanted to be apart of the JUDDD family~
So .. here i am.. part of the family .. and i love it here.. I have never found a place in my life that had folks like JUDDD BUDDS .. the love and the support here is unmatched by any where i have ever gone..
I love hearing your story! You have lost an impressive amount of weight, Girlfriend and I'm soooooooo proud of you! And, you are awesomely beautiful. Just stunning from your pictures on your profile page.

You reminded me of something. Years ago (in my early 30's) people accused me of being too thin. I actually had a church secretary pull me aside to ask me if I was suffering from anorexia. I had never even heard that word. when she told me what it meant I thought it was ridiculous because I weighed 150. People never believed me when I told them how much I weighed because it just didn't show.

When people told me that the Dr. Stillman plan, which I continued to follow to keep my slim look, was unhealthy I would reply: "I would rather be dead than fat." And, I guess I shocked a few people by that! But, it was true!

Somewhere along the line I must have abandoned that philosophy. I forgot about it until just now. Maybe that's why sometimes I think the only way I will get rid of the rest of my excess pounds is through self hatred and deprivation. Interesting the way our minds work, huh?

JUDD is the first WOE that does not make me feel deprived. And, I guess I have switched over from the I'd-rather-be-dead-than-fat way of thinking to: "I'm too old to suffer". New age. New philosophy. I think I like this age and this philosophy better!

Last edited by Yam-Yam; 07-30-2012 at 02:29 PM..
Old 07-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

It's official. I love this thread!!! I love all of you. I'm going to keep reading now.....
Old 07-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: KJ-43
Stats: HW 279 198/168/170
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 10/30/06 ,restart 1/2/14,7/2/14
great thread!
KJ-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:02 PM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD80 View Post
I guess I should answer the questions you asked!!!

Don't you think it's amazing that we have so many tall-ish Budds?? I LOVE that there are so many tall ladies here. It makes me feel like less of an outsider in a weird way. I've always been way taller than all my friends and I feel like the jolly green giant most of the time.

How/why did you choose the goal weight for you?Explained in my comment above.

Have you always struggled with your weight?Explained above, but yes. Puberty was not kind. I just looked at pics from 8th grade on up and it was a yo-yo even in high school. I remember buying size 6 pants at the Gap after losing weight and was proud of that. I remember being about 130-135 when I was in basketball.

Throughout your life, when you wanted to lose weight, did you do low carb or some other WOE? Like me, did things that worked years ago stop working at some time during your life? I remember being able to eat anything I wanted as long as I was in sports. In college, I mostly just cut back and did low fat, including low fat desserts. That always worked. Or, I'd get stressed about school or graduation or the Bar exam and lose 30 lbs without really trying. I was a waitress in college and lost a lot of weight doing that. Oh, and I've done diet pills too... Then the thyroid said, "yeah...no more..." and it's never been the same. I am on the correct meds and feel much better and while weight loss is possible, it isn't as easy as it was before.

How did you find or hear about JUDD? I came to lwo carb forums because I think that low carb is a good way to live, although it is difficult for me. I feel better eating carbs, but really needed to cut down and find an eating plan that worked for me. I also have binge eating tendencies. I saw the JUDDD board and wondered what the heck it was and why was it so active? I've been here since February and must admit, this is the longest I've stuck with anything. And, I still like it! Just having some trouble losing more right now...

Did you ever wish you were shorter? explained above. Short answer - YES!
Thanks for sharing your story! You reminded me why I've even been feeling like starting this thread for so long. I've been on other forums where I definitely was the freakish tall, big boned, large framed, muscular freak.

In fact, I remember going to a Weight Watcher's meeting when my weight hit 160. I was talking to a 5'10" gal who told me she weighed 145. She looked sooooooo thin to me but said she wanted to get down to 125. When I told her I weighed 160, she blurted out, "If I ever got to weigh 160 I would kill myself."

I couldn't even say anything to that! There were other people at the meeting, one guy in particular I remember, who had asked me what the heck I was doing there because I looked thin and there was no way I needed to lose weight. I was wearing a size 10 suit (skirt and blazer). Still, I was insulted at that women's remark at the same time I was feeling sorry for her.

She looked so unhappy. No sense of humor. No soft, friendly smile. Just this drive to be very thin.

I wanted to become a lifetime WW member at that time so I lost the minimum required 5 pounds (since I was already at a healthy weight), maintained it for 6 weeks and was awarded a lifetime membership status.

Now, I WISH I could fit into that size 10 suit!! Ha! I was thin enough. But, I think of that sad lady often. I hope she moved into a more gentle way of looking at herself.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:09 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ-43 View Post
great thread!
KJ: You are gorgeous! I just looked at the photo on your profile page of you in the white shorts and top. Lovely! Tall, thin YOU!!!

Congratulations on reaching maintenance and well, maintaining!
Old 07-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Good idea for a thread Yam. We do present a sort of different perspective.
Love your post, Dawn! I so enjoy getting to know you better and better. Wow, a 6'3" DH, huh? That means you can still wear high heels!

I think my DH, being only 5'10", is happy that I don't wear heels any more. Well, I did find a cute pair of heels and wore them at a recent family wedding. Both of us were glad when I took them off and replaced them with flat shoes for the reception! I had not worn high heels in such a long time I forget what it felt like.

Sorry you had an awful childhood. Isn't it great that we get to be moms and have the chance to love our kids the way we always wish we had been loved? I can tell you are a great and wonderful Mommie!!
Old 07-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Star123
Stats: 208/190/128 @ 5`5"
WOE: moderate LC living
Start Date: Restart 08/2014
I always wanted to be tall... but I`m only 5`5" which is about average. Was always a chubby kid from day one. Except when I was a premie at birth. LOL. Has to put weight on in the hospital before I could go home. Hey... I wonder if that force feeding by the nurses made me f**t. Not! i`ll blame it on my gene pool. I developed breasts earlier then the other girls... but never felt I was good enough to have a boyfriend. Although I had a Big crush on a guy in school. Been struggling with weight all my life. went on my first diet at age 9. Have tried other diets which didn`y last. Lost weight in my twenties, gained, then lost when I got married, then got divorced while gaining alot of my weight back and some. But since joining LCF for the past 5 yrs and finding JUDDD... I`ve lost 6 lbs. Then have gained 2 back but still loving JUDDD... `cause I believe it works!!!

Chow

208/207/206/205/204/203/202/201/200/199/198/197/196/195/194/193/192/191/190/189/188/187/186/185/184/183/182/181/180/179/178/177/176/175/174/173/172/170

https://www.facebook.com/WomenOfFaithCommunity

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!" Philipians 4:13

Last edited by Star123; 07-30-2012 at 03:56 PM..
Star123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:02 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star123 View Post
I always wanted to be tall... but I`m only 5`5" which is about average. Was always a chubby kid from day one. Except when I was a premie at birth. LOL. Has to put weight on in the hospital before I could go home. Hey... I wonder if that force feeding by the nurses made me f**t. Not! i`ll blame it on my gene pool. I developed breasts earlier then the other girls... but never felt I was good enough to have a boyfriend. Although I had a Big crush on a guy in school. Been struggling with weight all my life. went on my first diet at age 9. Have tried other diets which didn`y last. Lost weight in my twenties, gained, then lost when I got married, then got divorced while gaining alot of my weight back and some. But since joining LCF for the past 5 yrs and finding JUDDD... I`ve lost 6 lbs. Then have gained 2 back but still loving JUDDD... `cause I believe it works!!!

Chow
Hey, it could be the premie and gene pool combo. When I read your post through the first time, I thought you said you went on your first "date" at 9 yrs. old. I said, "Go, Star!" Now I just read "diet" and thought that so many of us relate! My mother was always on a diet. She was always putting ME on diets. They were crazy fad diets that never worked and I used to sneak food out of the fridge because I was always starving.

Stillman's was the first and only diet that ever worked for me.

During menopause, it just plain stopped working. I tried everything, WW, Nutrisystem, Stillman again, WW again, Low fat, Jorge Cruise 3-hr. diet, Nothing worked!!!!

I'm in a much better place now! Sounds like you are, too and I'm so happy for you! Thanks for sharing YOU with US! You are a true JUDD Budd!
Old 07-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
It's so weird, our relationship with mothers. Mine was a chronic, failed (in her eyes) dieter, who kept telling us we were perfect, we should never diet.
At some point I read in her diary (I know, I know, how awful!) that she only felt good when she got down to 138 pounds. So bizarre, remembering that number! And more bizarre that I feel best when I'm under the same number, even though I'm taller. I'm sure I picked my goal weight to be just under 138. And no kidding, I feel as though I'm violating some unspoken rule by weighing less. Crazy.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
It's so weird, our relationship with mothers. Mine was a chronic, failed (in her eyes) dieter, who kept telling us we were perfect, we should never diet.
At some point I read in her diary (I know, I know, how awful!) that she only felt good when she got down to 138 pounds. So bizarre, remembering that number! And more bizarre that I feel best when I'm under the same number, even though I'm taller. I'm sure I picked my goal weight to be just under 138. And no kidding, I feel as though I'm violating some unspoken rule by weighing less. Crazy.
You got that right, Hon!! My mother was 43 when I was born. Try, when you are 16, to relate to a mother who is almost 60!! Thankfully I had older sisters who served as mother figures for me because my Mom and I always related as grandmother/granddaughter. She already had a number of grand kids before I was even born. As I was being raised, she was much more in "gramma" mode and probably pretty tired of being a Mom once again.

I think she abdicated the mother role to my older sisters.

My mother never told me how much she weighed. I do know from pictures and memory that she was very thin. Then when she was going through "the change" as they called it back in the day, she put on a lot of weight. After that was all over she got very, very thin and stayed that way 'til she died at close to 80 years of age.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #27
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Now Yam Yam. My Mother was 40 when I was born and I was 40 when DS was born. And I think I relate just fine with DS. And I did alright with my mother too. Only had one brother and he was 2 1/2 years older.
I was always thin growing up and left for college at a whopping 100 pounds. Thankfully I gained 20 pounds my freshman year and remained at that weight for the next almost 20 years. Crept up to 130 before DS was born. HE is the reason I have been battling fat for the past 23 years.
I am 5'7" which isn't tall but I am so much taller than a lot of people I guess it puts me a tad above average height.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
158/152/139 JUDDD 10/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
WOE: JUDDD
Love, LOVE reading all of your stories!! Thank you for telling them.

Yam-Yam said,

Quote:
One thing I've noticed is that I see some 5'10" gals with goal weight way less than mine. Sometimes I feel embarrassed about only wanting to get to 180, although I know that could change with I finally get back there. I probably will want to get lower. But for now, I just want to get back there!
I get it, Yam-Yam, I really do. I still haven't set a goal yet. It's going to have to be a "I'll know it when I get there" kind of thing for me, I think.

Warning for those who don't like long posts: The following is almost book-length.

My parents were both tall. My mother (5'7.5") had a large frame and always struggled (a lot) with her weight. There is a picture of her when I was about 3 where she weighed 135 and she looked positively haggard and deathly thin at what is the "accepted normal weight" for her height. Later pictures of her at 175 or thereabouts show a fit, normal-sized, healthy looking woman. For most of her life she fought to stay around 200 (and she did look a bit overweight, but not grossly overweight or obese). My mother was an expert seamstress and had an evening dress she made from a Vogue pattern that fit her like a glove when she was 135 pounds. I tried that dress on when I was in high school (and also 135 pounds) and it was way too big. Frame size matters a LOT - a whole lot!

My dad was 6'1", had a medium frame and didn't really ever have a problem. He'd put on a small bit of a pot belly around the holidays, but cutting out the goodies solved the problem very quickly. My brother is also 6'1" with a medium frame and has never had a weight problem.

I was always the tallest or one of the tallest kids (girls or boys) in elementary school. I hated being tall when I was a kid.Don't remember exactly when I got to 5'8", but it was sometime in junior high. As a child and teenager I was always pretty active - rode my bicycle everywhere, lived at the swimming pool during the summer, played outside a lot. Didn't have a weight problem.

In high school I lost the distinction of being one of the tallest; several of my girlfriends were 5'10" or taller. I went from not liking being tall to wishing I was taller. My weight would fluctuate between 130 - 135 lbs (135 usually in the winter when I was less active), going down to 125 in the summer when I was more active, but 130 was my normal for many, many years. I don't know tall Kate Middleton is or what she weighs, but until I got fat, my figure was very similar to hers - tall, lean and lithe - but not skinny. I'm very small boned according to all of the tests that determine such.

My first year away at college my weight started creeping up; I maybe gained 10 pounds by the end of the first semester. I remembered that a few sophisticated 'older women' whom I admired ate what they wanted if there was a party or get together but "took it easy" the next day or so, so I decided to try that. It worked, it was easy for me, really a no-brainer. It was more or less JUDDD or Intermittent Fasting. When I was 23, I got up to 185 when I was pregnant with my daughter and lost all but the last 15 pounds of that fairly quickly with breastfeeding and being an active new mom. The last 15 came off in short order using Atkins 72.

I ate "JUDDD-like" for many years after that. It worked well for me. There would be brief periods when I'd gain more than I should have, but those pounds would come off easily doing Atkins 72 for a short while. I've always gravitated more towards lower carb stuff anyway, so I didn't have the feelings of deprivation some folks fight and I didn't have much to lose so it wasn't like it seemed forever. After the extra pounds came off, I'd go back to my on-again, off-again eating pattern and would stay there.

I never developed a true weight problem until a series of events occurred that was the "perfect storm" for gaining and gaining and gaining. Not going to go into all of the details, but Things Were VERY BAD for several years. And this all coincided with me going through menopause. I'd had a hysterectomy in my mid-30's but still had my ovaries. So yes, hot-flashes, mood swings, losing my once 'magazine ad-quality hair' - all of those fun (not!) things - on top of every other freaking thing you could imagine happening (and some you couldn't). My weight really started creeping up and up around 2004, and by spring 2005 I was at 185. I finally buckled down and went on Atkins 72 and lost a few pounds, but it was different than when I'd done it before; it was difficult and very slow. I could stay on it for only a few weeks and then cave to a craving. I'd never had cravings before but I had them now and it would take me at least a week to recover from going off the wagon, let alone start losing again. Stress was easing off in some areas but getting much, much worse in others. Cortisol is the "fight or flight" hormone and excess cortisol is thought to be responsible for belly fat. I believe it! I gained all over, of course, but my gut, oh my gut. I could not stay on plan.

In 2009 most of the ongoing really terrible stuff finally came to a halt. I had gotten up to around 240 or thereabouts and committed to doing Atkins 72 again and lost down to 204. It wasn't easy (understatement). I was not enjoying myself, was focused on food and what I couldn't have all the time. I was irritable and cranky. I soldiered on though, because I was hating myself for allowing myself to get so heavy and unrecognizable. I remember being semi-stalled just a bit above 200 but so determined that I stayed strict over the Christmas and New Year's holidays; I had a deep desire to be under 200. Right after that I got sick with a terrible upper respiratory infection (the sickest I've ever been and eventually took me several months to fully recover) and finally was put on Prednisone. ALL of the weight I'd lost, I gained back. And then some.

The middle of last July someone on the Playground here started a generic weight loss challenge and I reluctantly joined, weighing in at 257. I've never been a joiner at all but knew I had to do something. I wanted "me" back so very bad. I wanted to feel like me again, wanted to look like me again. So I started Atkins 72, again. Same experience with fighting cravings and feeling deprived and unhappy that I was always the 'odd man out' whenever we'd go somewhere with normal food, but I again forced myself do it. I lost 40 pounds from mid-July until right before last Christmas. Had already planned to take a brief break from low carb and moderately enjoy the holiday foods, based on my joy-less deprivation of the Christmas before last. Took the intended break and started Atkins 72 again in mid-January and had lost a few pounds before we were flooded out of our house the first week of February. After we moved and got situated in our new place, started back (again) and had less than a week of it under my belt when a Universal Truth (about myself) became crystal clear: I am not willing to live my life devoid of certain foods once in a while. That certain truth about myself came to me as I put my fork down after eating a slice of my very delicious chocolate cream pie after being "righteously strict" all day. I'd seen JUDDD in people's stats and investigated a bit more. As I read and researched, it dawned on me (like a ton of bricks!!) that this was essentially the way I ate all those many years when I was thin. DOH! I "came home" to this way of eating and I am never, EVER looking back.

Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Don't you think it's amazing that we have so many tall-ish Budds??
Yes, I wish I was tall! Really!!!

How/why did you choose the goal weight for you?
I chose 150 just because it was reported on healthy BMI to be the top range of normal. I just looked and checked the first site that google hits and they report 145, so I will probably shoot for 145.

Have you always struggled with your weight? No, but in some ways that has been detrimental to me now.

Throughout your life, when you wanted to lose weight, did you do low carb or some other WOE? Like me, did things that worked years ago stop working at some time during your life?

I never really dieted except when it was a fad. For instance, I liked eating what all of the girls at the office ate and recall a time my co-workers were on a "cottage cheese & tuna diet", (78) and I remember thinking it was fun and did it right along with them, even though I wore a sz 4/5 at the time. I used to run 3-5 miles daily (therapy) and remember weighing in after my son was born in 80, at 103 lbs and a sz 3. Fast forward to 2009, I began the Hcg diet because I had gained a lot of weight (25 lbs) in the course of a year and I was frightened. I knew I had something wrong and didn't know it was (just freakin peri-meno ). Lost 45, and then I maintained until I went on a cruise and from then to now is my neverending quest to figure my situation out? In the last couple of years, I have tried SB, Atkins, EFGT, and now JUDDD.

How did you find or hear about JUDD?

I remember running into someone on LCF and I think it may have been Linda (Beeb) that was so excited to have found JUDDD.

The only thing I want to add and I think it is very relevant (as Joy mentioned) is our relationship with our mothers and how this shaped us today! I feel so inadequate in how I mothered my own two children. They are grown now and although my son is fit as can be, my daughter who is short 5'2" has an extra 20 that came with her 2nd baby. I feel an enormous burden to help her and wonder if the way I taught them could have been detrimental? I honestly raised my kids exactly as I was reared. I never realized that processed foods and sugar were not healthy? We had ice cream & Hostess ding dongs weekly. The very first meals that I taught my kids to make were microwave Mac & Cheese and Grilled Cheese sandwiches.

I was thin as a child. My first memory of my childhood being different, was when I was in 4th grade and our teacher asked us to tell what we had for dinner the night before. I stood up and proudly said Banquet. I remember my teacher looking puzzled and then a few snickers and then I realized after hearing how the others ate, that "Banquet TV dinners" certainly were nothing to reveal.

My parents were gone quite a bit. Both were professionals and my brothers and I were latchkey children. We had a housekeeper/sitter who cooked some and occasionally made something that I thought was heaven. Still do! She called it cinnamon sugar buttered toast. I remember I craved it ever single day for snack as soon as I ran home from school. I also ate Applejacks cereal or Pop tarts every morning before school. I don't know how I wasn't overweight, because I recall when I was old enough about 13 or 14 we walked to lunch every day from my Jr. High and we ate lots of candy, in fact, I don't recall anyone having weight problems in Junior High? We were all quite active. We walked or rode bikes everywhere and we were all very active in gym and after school sports. It was the norm, to have a soda and candy bar every day, even if I only ate a small protein that day beforehand. Now, I look back on this and am amazed that today my absolute fav foods are avocado, asparagus, pumpkin, walnuts & blueberries?

I take it very seriously to help re-educate both of my children in my new found healthy ways. I think I am not too late because I have noticed my daughter and SIL begin to make a few things that I have taught them. They are trying to bring their own up differently. I don't know what would have happened if I had not gained my weight so fast a few years ago, I remain haunted in my own mind and forever grateful that I was able to convert to this plan. JUDDD is my lifesaver.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 07-30-2012 at 07:44 PM..
Old 07-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: aarosali
Stats: 172.4/172.4/150's 5'9"
WOE: HCG/JUDDD
Start Date: 3/25/12
Awesome thread, thanks Yam Yam!!

I was chubby until I started a major growth spurt and sprouted to 5'9" in grade school. One day the mirror was too low in the bathroom. I complained, 'who moved the mirror?" Ha! Then, I was a normal weight. Not thin. I gained a bit in college and lost it again. And stayed at around 162 for most of my adult life. I worked out a lot and that helped to keep me on track. But, I was always 'watching my weight'. I never had the freedom to eat what I wanted. And, I had no idea about eating healthy. I simply preferred uncomplicated foods and didn't eat out much.

Then I got married, tried to get pregnant and failed over 6 years. The pounds came on with all the meds that I was taking, lack of exercise and stress. Hubby eats dinner. I was never a dinner eater. I tended to have a sandwich for dinner, or chips and salsa, or cheese and crackers. Always something light. Hubby wanted full meals. His metabolism is very high. I packed on the lbs trying to eat with him.

I found the HCG diet while trying to get pregnant and over 3 rounds lost all the weight. I got down to 159 which looks really thin on my frame. But, did not allow myself to maintan that loss. I've been gaining and losing the same 20 lbs now for 2 years.

Sure, my height allows me to look good. But I know what's possible and have clothes in the closet to back that up. I'm really hoping that JUDDD over time will help tame my appetite and eating habits to where I can lose the 13 lbs that I need to lose to get back to my lowest weight.

Thanks for sharing your stories JUDDD BUDDDs!!
aarosali is offline   Reply With Quote