Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gardengoddess
Stats: 199 highest/187/157 current/130 5'2
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Restart: 9/5/2013
Have you told your doctor about JUDDD?

NoWeigh's post about her doctor's appointment made me wonder if she had told the doctor how she had lost that impressive amount of weight and what the reaction was.

At the end of March, having been on JUDDD since the beginning of January and down 20 pounds, I was at a doctor's appointment and she (the NP) asked how I had lost the weight. I told her. BIG MISTAKE. She was full of criticism - not enough calories, deprivation, eating disorders, blah, blah, blah - with a few "But it's great that you lost some weight" thrown in. I completely derailed shortly after that. I know that I shouldn't let someone else's opinion control my thinking, especially since before that I was pretty happy with JUDDD. I had a few tough DD, but was in the swing of it and doing well. Now though, I cannot get back on track and I have regained most of what I had lost.

Have anyone told their doctor about JUDDD? What was their reaction?

My thoughts are my reality.
gardengoddess is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I have no good opinion of doctors as nutritionists. They get very, very little training in that department.

Come to that I have very little good to say about most nutritionists either, lol.

I am waiting for my first blood test results since moving from LC to JUDDD. It should be interesting.

You can get back on track I am sure, just come here every day for support.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March, 2009
((garden goddess))

I know how you feel, with something random derailing you like a blind-side blow when you had everything going well. I'm so sorry - hop back in! Alternate day dieting is very forgiving.

My family doctor listened when I mentioned alternate-day eating and seemed to have already heard of it. He certainly didn't criticize or suggest it would hurt me. He told me he does Atkins, just being conversational. No big deal. This was a couple years back, actually.

Frankly, your NP is behind the times, and if she checks out alternate day diet or even the current catch-phrase "I.F.", which isn't even "new" any more, she will realize that she is. She's probably very busy and considers the area of food/nutrition/ways of eating as more in a dietician's realm than hers.

Again, I hope you will hop back in and make up some of that lost ground. You already know how and have proved to yourself you can do well. I had been maintaining, but slipped backward, and JUDDD was very forgiving to me.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cactusrose63
Stats: 156/156/130 - 5'4", Age: 53
WOE: JUDDD 1900/800 or less if I can!
Start Date: JUDDD restart June 2014
I think it kind of depends on how we describe JUDDD too. I have not told my MD, but in general I tell others I eat very light every other day. For some that will generate more ????s. If they are really impressed with my loss of pounds and inches, I tell them more. I also talk more about the benefits before the "how" when talking about this to others, and what I would say if I were to tell my Doc. Whitlin' is so right, your NP is way behind the times, and just trying to give advice she has no business giving.

You DO have science behind you Gardengoddess, and you know what is working for you. Don't worry about your NP's opinion, just move on and do what is right for YOU. You deserve it.

Lost 3 pounds from Jan 1 2012 til April 30 2012 by "eating healthy", LC, etc...
Lost 12 pounds from May 1 2012 til September 1 2012 with JUDDD

Down and Up 10-15# every year since 2000 with VLC, semi LC and Carb Cycling
Anticipating forever success with JUDDD!!

Last edited by cactusrose63; 07-29-2012 at 12:34 PM..
cactusrose63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:51 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gardengoddess
Stats: 199 highest/187/157 current/130 5'2
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Restart: 9/5/2013
Thanks for your support and advice. The major problem that I am having now is between then and now, I have started a new job and I am very stressed. Before, I was at home. I will just have to buckle down.
gardengoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:39 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alcestis
Stats: 210/151.6/149 5' 8"
Start Date: December 13th, 2011
My doctor is very open-minded (I love her!) and was interested when I told her about JUDDD. She hadn't heard of it and the next time we met, she said she'd been reading up on it and it sounded like it had some great benefits. I feel very lucky to have a doctor who's so respectful of her patients, doesn't assume that her point of view is law, and has no problem being open to new knowledge (which seems kinda crucial to me!).

Welcome back!
Alcestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:08 AM   #7

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
I haven't seen my DR since starting back in April. My DR is like Alcestis' though, she is awesome. She lost like 100 pounds following South Beach and her attitude about weight is, whatever works for you is what you should do!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:49 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Over the years I have encountered some doctors who were interested in what is happening with current science (even had one who read the studies and was selective about who he prescribed statins to). However, most of the doctors I have met seem to have stopped learning about the time they graduated...anything medical that happened after that is a dangerous fad...unless their pharmaceutical salesperson convinces them a new drug is magic.

I told my current doctor I eat less on one day and regularly the next. I did not mention calorie counts and he did not ask.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #9
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Haha!

My Wizard of Oncology said to lose the weight any way I could get it off as quickly as I can get it off. He didn't care and didn't care about hearing how I did it. Just to "did it".

Then on the flip side, my Internest heard about my diet and sent me to a Nutritionist. I regained 8lbs, felt like crap and got my asthma back all with a week. I fired him and now will just not brook any arguments about it. I've lived with my body for this long and know by now, what works and what constitutes magical thinking. Eating disorder or not. I know what I have to do to get the job done.

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
My last check up was in May. I love, love, love my doctor. She is very tiny. Short (maybe 5'0"?) and has always been thin. She is older than me. I was surprised to see how big she had gotten since I saw her last year. She told me she has gone up 5 sizes in clothing.

She was praising me about my weight loss, low BP and general health and how good I look. Then she actually started confiding in me about how she gained a lot of weight last year and just can't get it off. She told me about all the WOE's she has tried and can't lose one ounce.

I started out telling her that I read Dr. Johnson's book, "The Alternate Day Diet" and was very motivated by the idea of calorie cycling. She said she had heard of it, but never really tried it. So, we had a great conversation. She said she would look into it and I felt good that she felt she could talk to me about her struggle. Not long ago it was the other way around and I was jealous that she was to tiny and thin!!

Hmmmmmm....... Wonder if I should send HER a bill for my great consulting. LOL!!!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cactusrose63
Stats: 156/156/130 - 5'4", Age: 53
WOE: JUDDD 1900/800 or less if I can!
Start Date: JUDDD restart June 2014
Yam-Yam, your consultation fee: PRICELESS!!
cactusrose63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/212/147 or size 8/10
WOE: 2000/1000 rotations, moderate carb
Start Date: 11/3/14; JUDDD 7/11/12
I've been seeing my doctor for probably about 15 years, and I've noticed that the times when I've lost weight, she is eager to hear how I've done it. If I've gained weight, she tells me what has worked for her other patients ... and it's different every time! I think doctors really want to be able to help their many patients who lose weight, but probably don't know what to tell them! I'm hoping to go in with a big loss at the beginning of summer and be able to tell her about JUDDD.

P.S. Isn't it interesting how people are so quick to decide that different diet plans are unhealthy without really looking into it?

----
Christina
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:46 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
I first spoke to my Naturopath asking him about how he felt about intermittent fasting. When he said he loved it and it was a great idea, I explained more about JUDDD. His only comment was, that with my adrenal issues, fasting until lunch on a dd wasn't a great idea (it puts more stress on the adrenals to keep blood sugar up). So I just have a protein smoothie (around 100 cals) for breakfast and he's happy.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #14

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I had a gyno appointment last week and the NP was very impressed with my weight loss and asked what I was doing. I told her about JUDDD and she said she'd read some research about calorie cycling in general and she'd pass the JUDDD information on to anyone interested.

I had an appointment this afternoon with my new male GP, and he was astonished when I told him how much I've lost and how I did it, as well as how quickly. He sort of harumphed about the very low calories, but admitted if it's working, it can't be too bad for me. Then he advised me to exercise more and I would lose even faster! Of course that came after telling me all the problems associated with "rapid" weight loss.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote