Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
Low blood pressure

I'm feeling woozy and dizzy a lot these days, especially the last couple of days. Yesterday I took my blood pressure and it was 93/62.

I read up and it seems like there's not a lot I can do about this except drink more water (I already drink around 100 ounces per day) drink coffee (LOL, plenty of that) and more salt (which I don't really get much of).

Medical literature doesn't seem to be very worried about low blood pressure, it seems it's not much of a problem, except if I pass out and hit my head that might be something to worry about.

Anyone else experience this and have any suggestions? I'm going to try to get more salt in, but how? I don't really eat much food that I want to be any saltier. Maybe I need to eat more potato chips. You know, in a therapeutic sense. For my health.

"Success occurs in clusters and is born in generosity" --Julia Cameron

Describes my JUDDD Buddds perfectly.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #2

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I often have low blood pressure and don't really do anything for it. I'd be interested to see what others have to say. Especially re: therapeutic potato chips!

ETA: I was curious so I just took mine. 97/61, and I feel fine. Sometimes it's as low as 82/52. That's when I get dizzy.

Last edited by KeirasMom; 07-28-2012 at 12:27 PM..
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #3

Yes, I read that they don't diagnose you with low blood pressure unless it's below 90 over 60, OR unless you have symptoms. I was definitely having symptoms yesterday. Today it's better, but not much.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Sorry I don't have any low bp experience, but if you want to get more salt, you can just eat it.

You take 1/8 of a teaspoon, put it on or under your tongue, let dissolve *if you can stand it* or just swallow it, and follow it with 16oz of water.

I use *unrefined* sea salt (or Celtic or Himalayan salt). Sea salt in most grocery stores is *refined*.

I learned this from "The Watercure", which I've used successfully for acid reflux, fatigue, edema, headaches, bladder control & other problems.

Water Cure 2

There are some complicated instructions about taking it on an empty stomach and waiting X hours, but I just take the salt whenever I remember/feel like I need it. I don't do the full "cure" every day.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/115/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
Mine is low also, lower then yours! I take it at home and at Wal-Mart, always low.

But when I go to the dcotor it is normal The nurse always tells me I have a low blood pressure with nothing to worry about. When i told her mine is usually 85/35 or so she said "no-way" you would be laying on the floor! It could be that the blood pressure machines just cannot read me!

But, but I never get dizzy, so you may want to check it out at the doctors! Have you had any shots, etc? I know you are going to Africa, so maybe the shots they give you before you go has something to do with this

Wishing you all the very best and saying an extra prayer for you!

Leona
Old 07-28-2012, 01:30 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brewstate
Stats: 238/192/129
WOE: LC JUDDD (started at 190)
Start Date: April 15, 2009
My BP has been chronically low since I can remember. Its not unheard of for me to be 90/55 and I don't suffer any symptoms from it. It doesn't seem to be affected by diet or weight with me as its pretty much always right around that number. Apparently there is nothing that can be done and doctors don't seem too concerned about it but they did freak out during the delivery of my 2nd child and forced a c-section because of my blood pressure They thought I was going to pass out with such low BP but I felt nothing. I wish I had been able to convince them, its totally normal for me

Oh and I love salt and use it liberally and it definately does not increase BP

Last edited by brewstate; 07-28-2012 at 01:31 PM..
brewstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #7

Haven't had any shots yet, so that's not a factor.

So nobody's endorsing my therapeutic potato chip idea, I see...

PJ, thanks for the link, I'll read up on the water cure. I need to get to the health food store and get some good salt. All I have right now is Morton's.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cactusrose63
Stats: 156/156/130 - 5'4", Age: 53
WOE: JUDDD 1900/800 or less if I can!
Start Date: JUDDD restart June 2014
Some people just run a normal low BP, like some have a lower than normal body temp. My BP is often 85/55, no symptoms. I do get dizzy/woozy when my blood sugar drops, though.

This BP may be a new normal for you since losing the weight?? I wouldn't worry about it unless the symptoms persist over a few days, and you can't do your normal activities-then time to call the doc for a checkup. Then he can write a script for Potato chips, one bag per day as needed for dizziness!!
cactusrose63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I, too, have pretty low blood pressure, but usually no symptoms. Occasionally, I'll feel a little faint if I get up too quickly. I've just become cautious and aware so that I don't end up on the floor. My DH has the same problem, too. I love salt and don't ever restrict it. Same with my DH. Be careful.
theredhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #10

Barb, I knew I liked you...

Yeah, I'm going to be seeing my doc, obviously, for the shots and such that I'll need before travel. Also just for a good once-over. If this continues to be a problem, I'll bring it up.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Loca View Post
So nobody's endorsing my therapeutic potato chip idea, I see...
Hey go for it! If it fits in your calories, you can eat it right!!! Gotta love JUDDD!!!!

When summer humidity hits, I have to start my morning off with a little salt in my first water serving. The humidity will knock me to my knees sometimes. Exspecially going to work and sweating half to death. I use sea salt also, just 2 granules. But if I dont have it I will add around 1/8 of a teaspoon of regular salt.
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ragdoll24
Stats: 203/cw110.2/108.6 LDW
WOE: LC,IF,RX hCG Simeons for last 20 lbs. Phase3
Start Date: January 2007
Glad to see I'm not alone with the low BP. Luckily, I don't have any symptoms but sometimes the BP machines will register an error and be unable to read my low BP.
Ragdoll24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
Quote:
I'm feeling woozy and dizzy a lot these days, especially the last couple of days. Yesterday I took my blood pressure and it was 93/62.

I read up and it seems like there's not a lot I can do about this except drink more water (I already drink around 100 ounces per day) drink coffee (LOL, plenty of that) and more salt (which I don't really get much of).

Medical literature doesn't seem to be very worried about low blood pressure, it seems it's not much of a problem, except if I pass out and hit my head that might be something to worry about.

Anyone else experience this and have any suggestions? I'm going to try to get more salt in, but how? I don't really eat much food that I want to be any saltier. Maybe I need to eat more potato chips. You know, in a therapeutic sense. For my health.
LOL! Hey try it the chips might help! Mine hovers between low and normal too, when I was younger it used to run low all the time, that's why I'm always cold natured too. But I never had any symptoms other than being cold.
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
Start Date: March, 2009
Luna, this happened to a friend and the doctor's prescription was one of any Campbell's soup each day (except low sodium types), divided into 2 servings. Later reduced to 1/2 that amount when she went back to follow-up appt with doctor a month later and reported she felt better.

I guess in a way, that's a cautionary tale for those of us who do NOT need to add salt/sodium to our diets - Campbell's is pretty salty.
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:57 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/160/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
I'll support your potato chip treatment...my husband was on dialysis and they always take the BP after they've been off the machine for a few minutes and can't release the patient if it is too low. When his would drop below 100, they'd recommend chips (salt) as a quick remedy to raise the BP, so you're thoughts are perfectly reasonable....

He actually passed out behind the wheel of a car when he was young and was hospitalized. Doctors wanted to operate but one held out and said he was salt depleted....they fed him an IV overnight and released him after telling him to add more salt to his diet which he did. His renal doc told him that was probably why his BP was so good when he went on dialysis.

I know, TMI, but just wanted to show my support of the potato chip treatment....

Set a goal; Create an action plan; Follow the plan

Plan or Avoid or Plan to Avoid

Patience and Persistence not perfection
Mssarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #16

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:

I used to have blood pressure that was a bit on the low side too. If I stood up from a seated position, I'd get really dizzy sometimes! Never fainted, but got pretty *swirly* occasionally.

When I got old, my blood pressure went up, as sometimes happens as we age, so it's a good solid normal now.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: C'Marie
Stats: 270/down 110-ish/ goal 147
WOE: hCG Rx shots/JUDDD maintain
Start Date: 1/4/2010 Now R9 P2
I would totally go with potato chips, and I would say use the salt and vinegar ones (they're the best anyway) LOL...
C'Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:24 PM   #18

Yay! I knew someone would come in with me on the potato chips. Salt and vinegar are my favorite kind. Just finishing up an up day with nary a chip in sight though. Sad. Oh, well, maybe next up day.

I have been feeling better today, no "swirly" feelings, so that's good. Hopefully it was just a temporary thing.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:30 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Luna, I love your "swirly" description.
I have low BP too. (We're like a new super-species, here!)
About two months into Judd, I traveled to see some family. Hadn't told them what I was doing. On the day of my visit, which was a DD after a lowish UD, I fasted all day in order to have a decent dinner with them without doing the whole I'm-on-a-diet thing. I also drank whacks of coffee during the day.
So. I was resting in my sister's apartment, having let myself in with the spare key. She arrived. I leapt up to hug her. As I hugged her, I had an orthostatic drop in BP. And I began to pass out.
She said later that she thought I was just coming in for a second hug but that my eyes looked funny.
Anyway. It wasn't the perfect time to explain how wonderful JUDDD is.
And it gave me some respect for fasting (not great for me to leave all calories till dinner on DDs), for caffeine, and for orthostatic drops on top of low BP.
Swirly indeed.
Glad yours is easing.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:38 AM   #20

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
Luna is it possibly your dizzy symptom isn't the BP, you just happened to notice that?

I have always had really low BP. I have had numerous Nurses and tech's question it. I went to the ER one early morning after having a Gall Bladder attack all night. The nurse there took my BP 4 times and just kept shaking his head. I finally asked, is it bad?? I thought maybe the pain had caused it to elevate. He said to me, um, NO it isn't bad, it's just it is so low, I would expect you to be in a Coma. We all just kind of laughed and went on.

Then I was having a surgical procedure and the tech person was prepping me and they had me on the auto cuff. He let it do it's thing for a while then finally started to adjust it and such. I again asked what was up. He said, are you nervous about this ? I said, well sure a little. He said, well your BP doesn't indicate that at all. He said, looking at it you should be almost comatosed.

Anyone, my point is, could the dizzy be something else? What are you doing when you feel this way???

Monica -Come see my journey!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:44 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Interesting thread due to i do get dizzy of late and i just thought it was my body telling me i needed food on a DD. SO i would eat a small meal to try and feel better, weird i never thought of BP.. I get woosey if i get up to fast somtimes too.. just thought it was only me who had these issues, good to know im not the only one,
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:51 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Interesting thread due to i do get dizzy of late and i just thought it was my body telling me i needed food on a DD. SO i would eat a small meal to try and feel better, weird i never thought of BP.. I get woosey if i get up to fast somtimes too.. just thought it was only me who had these issues, good to know im not the only one,
You can even have perfectly normal blood pressure and still be one of those people who get the sudden drop from a fast change of position, and get dizzy from standing suddenly. Some folks just have their bodies work this way more than others.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:22 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I just realized this discussion sounds familiar because when some people feel like this, they assume it's low blood sugar; another member (ravenrose) has often commented that it's more likely to be low blood pressure.

Both hypo- and hypertension can be caused by dehydration, so it seems to me that getting not just enough water but enough salt & other electrolytes (to keep the water in your body!) is very important. Just a generation or so ago, athletes, soldiers, hunters, hikers & other outdoorsy types would take "salt tablets" to prevent cramping, excessive sweating, & dehydration.

I have a slight concern that when JUDDDing, we may get low on electrolytes. They're usually only available in somewhat "trace" amounts in vegetables & other foods anyway, so deficiencies seem likely--especially in warmer weather--when we're eating much smaller servings of food (or fasting entirely), and possibly exercising & drinking large amounts of plain water.

Trivia: per ounce, potatoes have more potassium than the famous banana!
Old 07-30-2012, 08:24 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Thanks Pat.. My hubby is convinced its cuz im starving lol.. Even though he loved the new smaller size, he still worrys on my DD

PJ i am one who does my best to avoid at all cost salt, and pehaps i need to start putting some in via those gator aid kindof drink then.. maybe thats whats better for me,

Last edited by sterlinggirl; 07-30-2012 at 08:26 AM..
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:43 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
PJ i am one who does my best to avoid at all cost salt, and pehaps i need to start putting some in via those gator aid kindof drink then.. maybe thats whats better for me,
I also use NuSalt (salt substitute); it's a very cheap way to get potassium!

From what I understand, it's not salt that is bad for us so much as the fact that we tend to not get enough of the other electrolytes (magnesium, potassium, etc) to balance it out.

You may find this interesting:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/03/op...pagewanted=all

PS--I only use *unrefined* Celtic, Himalayan, or sea salt in my cooking.
I avoid salty processed foods like canned soup, but put as much "real" salt on my food as I want!

Last edited by piratejenny; 07-30-2012 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: PS
Old 07-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
Luna is it possibly your dizzy symptom isn't the BP, you just happened to notice that?

I have always had really low BP. I have had numerous Nurses and tech's question it. I went to the ER one early morning after having a Gall Bladder attack all night. The nurse there took my BP 4 times and just kept shaking his head. I finally asked, is it bad?? I thought maybe the pain had caused it to elevate. He said to me, um, NO it isn't bad, it's just it is so low, I would expect you to be in a Coma. We all just kind of laughed and went on.

Then I was having a surgical procedure and the tech person was prepping me and they had me on the auto cuff. He let it do it's thing for a while then finally started to adjust it and such. I again asked what was up. He said, are you nervous about this ? I said, well sure a little. He said, well your BP doesn't indicate that at all. He said, looking at it you should be almost comatosed.

Anyone, my point is, could the dizzy be something else? What are you doing when you feel this way???
To answer this, the other day it was mostly on standing, although even sitting on the couch I was feeling it. Yesterday it was pretty much gone. This morning (DD) I was feeling it while I was standing at the mirror brushing my teeth. I laid back down for a minute while it went away, then finished my morning routine while tensing my muscles in my legs and posterior (having read that orthostatic blood pressure drops are caused by blood pooling in the lower regions of the body). That worked long enough to finish doing my makeup and such.

Even though I mention that it's a DD, I don't think it's caused by the down day, as even on an up day I would not have eaten (or had anything to drink) by that time of the morning anyway. May not be related to down days at all.

I haven't checked my blood pressure since yesterday.

I used to have low-ish blood pressure, my diastolic was usually 106 or so when in high school. When I was at my heaviest, my blood pressure was usually 120/80, much to the surprise of my docs.

I have never had blood pressure as low as it was the other day. To be honest, it kind of scared me. But then again, I'm in better shape than I've ever been in my whole life, I think, when you take into account both weight and fitness. So maybe this is the new normal for me.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
IMHO: PirateJenny is right on (as usual!) I have experience here.

I did faint once not too long ago. It was after donating blood (when BP goes low). Not too long after that incident I had my regular check up app't with my doctor and that day she took a urine sample and drew blood for a blood panel work up. My BP was super low in the doctor's office that day. Something like 68/55 if I remember correctly but I was not feeling dizzy or anything.

She called me, concerned, a couple of days later. She said my potassium, sodium and magnesium were dangerously low and recommended supplements for the potassium and magnesium which I'm still taking to this day.

My feeling is you should not ignore this. When you see your doctor, ask for tests to determine your mineral levels. When my doc said "dangerous" she told me you can die from a potassium deficiency. I took it very seriously and followed her instructions to a tee!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
I add a dash of salt to my water bottle/jar. Even if I'm making tea, etc. I've had low BP my entire life.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:08 PM   #29

In a way, depending on how broad your diet choices are in foods, JUDDD is a very good plan for a person to take in the needed nutrients very easily just in the foods in their diets. I eat plenty of meat-eggs-dairy foods, but a lot of variety in vegetables and fruits too, so that's a really easy way to get a high level of the micro-nutrients very easily. One day I was sort of surprised to count over THIRTY different fruits and vegetables in my kitchen! It's only the two of us. I don't quite know how that happened, except I keep seeing yummy things I put in my cart from that section of the grocery every time.

Another thing you can do to up your intake of the micros, including those minerals that are so important to your vigor and well being, is to buy some nori sheets from an Asian market and include it in your foods. You don't have to eat sushi to get the health benefits of seaweed nori. I fold a sheet into quarters of more and just snip slivers of it into other foods. The slivers look like little blades of grass, and you can add this to so many foods and benefit from it.

Anyway, just saying that the world of nutrients from plant sources can cover the nutritional bases where you find you are needing some supplement.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
My BP has been low since I hit puberty. I passed out 13 times in one hour. Luckily it took that long for the ambulance to get there bc I got out of the mall w/o going (I hate hospitals). My mother tells me as a toddler, I would eat straight salt so I think salt is definitely the cure.

I went to the doctor repeatedly for passing out, dizzy spells and lightheadness. Eventually the doctor told me that it was "in my head".

After YEARS of this, I encountered a doctor in an online forum. He told me to check my BP. Next time I was at the doc's office, I asked. "Oh, it's really low but that is not anything to be concerned about..." D'uh! You never thought to connect that to my issues??? Geez.

Everyone will always tell you it's low blood sugar. I used to get mine checked everytime I complained about these symptoms to a doctor. It is always fine. Even today, when I have symptoms ppl tell me to eat something. Drives me nuts.

Besides caffiene and salt, you get into a prone position to help with symptoms. I also find cold water will stop me from passing out.

I believe I may suffer from more symptoms than others bc I have a very low heartrate as well. I suspect when my HB is low AND my BP drops, I experience symptoms. But I don't have a machine to check that...

My BP is now 90/60 most days so I am doing much better than when I was younger

Keep us posted,

Goal weight met: Aug 19/11

I played in the Longest Game for CF. We broke the Guinness record for longest hockey game.

Last edited by hockey_gal; 07-30-2012 at 10:11 PM..
hockey_gal is offline   Reply With Quote