Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 12:31 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ch.alyona
New "totally confused" dieter...

Hello JUDDD members.. My name is Aly. It's nice to meet you all So, here is my problem..

I have been counting calories for the last two years, but it couldn't last long. My problem is: I am eating too low (500 calories a day) for few weeks, which probably kills all my health + metabolic rate slows down and goes into starvation mode. But after that I get tired of dieting and begin eating eating and eating for a few weeks... So I end up gaining all the weight I have lost and even more... But as much as I try, I can't maintain normal calorie balance.. I love food too much.. That is why I have decided to switch to JUDDD. It sounds good and healthy, and I am quite used to go low and high in calories. I have read a lot of information about this diet, and some of it is very confusing for me.

As I understood, the Down Days calories should be as low as possible, less than 500. But what about Up Days? A lot of people stall if they go a little bit higher than the basal metabolic rate. I am 168 cm tall, and my current weight is 60 kg. I am almost happy with that, but still need to lose around 5 kg to make belly flat and body perfect. I do a light exercise, 3-5 times a week. The calculator tells me that my basal metabolic rate is 1400 calories. But if I exercise, it's 1900. Difference is high, and I am not sure which number I should stick to. I feel better about eating less than 1400, but I am afraid that I may get into starvation mode.. What is the lowest number of calories which may lead for starvation?

The calculator is very confusing as well... Will it be better if I count calories according to "Basal Metabolic Rate"? Or I have to include exercise? I am scared of overestimating it! So, in my opinion the lower calories, the better, but I might be wrong...

Please, I need your help... What should I do?
ch.alyona is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2012, 03:30 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Monkeypenny
Stats: 157/155/130 (age: 38)
WOE: JUDDD (it works if you stick to it. Well, if... )
Start Date: 16/04/2014 - just another restart :)
How old are you?
I can't imagine that the calculator shows you only 1400 for UpDays. I would think about 1650 or 1700 calories or something like that (without sports).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.alyona View Post
I feel better about eating less than 1400, but I am afraid that I may get into starvation mode..
I would not recommend going so low. The UpDay should be a "No-Diet-Day" and 1400 calories with your weight and height is definitely a "diet number".

Last edited by Monkeypenny; 07-28-2012 at 03:33 AM..
Monkeypenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:52 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
On Dr Johnson's website, the DD/UD calculations are based on BMR. DD is approximately BMR - 14%. And UD is approx BMR + 14%.

If you truly do reasonably light exercise, even if you do it seven days a week, most of us find it is best to calculate using 'little or no exercise'. In general the rule is use one level lighter exercise than you actually do.

I used the info you provided and tried guessing a lot of ages for you. I kept getting UDs in the 1600 to 1700 range.

JUDDD is not simply a low calorie diet. Instead, on DD we invoke the body's natural response to impending famine. The body, under food stress, generates sirtuin enzymes that cause it to spare and even build muscle, selectively burn fat, and clean up damaged/dead tissue for extra fuel.

On UD we deliberately end this response by eating over BMR. Sirtuin enzyme generation stops. Any unused enzymes remain in your body, still burning fat and dead tissue. Gradually - over two to eight weeks depending on your metabolism - so many enzymes are left over that you remain in fat burning mode most or all of UD. Which means the food you eat on UD is excreted, not stored.

As far as what DD/UD calories are perfect for you...it is best to start with the calculations from the website. Then, over time, tune them if you need to. Many of us find we lose best eating above the website numbers. Some do have to drop DD and/or UD numbers. Again, it all depends on the metabolism.

If you go too low on UDs, you do not break the food stress response and you are in just another low cal diet: not gaining improved health, probably not losing much weight. I did that accidentally and slowed myself way down.

Welcome!!!!
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 07-28-2012 at 04:54 AM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:00 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GrannyPants
Stats: Weigh 2 much Age 53
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: June 19 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
On Dr Johnson's website, the DD/UD calculations are based on BMR. DD is approximately BMR - 14%. And UD is approx BMR + 14%.

If you truly do reasonably light exercise, even if you do it seven days a week, most of us find it is best to calculate using 'little or no exercise'. In general the rule is use one level lighter exercise than you actually do.

I used the info you provided and tried guessing a lot of ages for you. I kept getting UDs in the 1600 to 1700 range.
Make sure to clear the forms on Dr. Johnson's website when you re-submit information or try different options. I've noticed it sometimes will retain previous info typed in.
This confused me when I would get different numbers.

--------
Mere
GrannyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:21 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<280/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Here is a thread I find very inspiring, and will perhaps allay your fears about UD calories:
IT’S ALL TRUE!!!! (Long)

Quote:
What is the lowest number of calories which may lead for starvation?
There is a lot of different information about this, and some people even say it's a myth (unless of course you are TRULY in a starvation situation; you cannot find or buy enough food for an extended period). Starvation Mode – Why You Probably Never Need to Worry About It But don't try to push your Up Days too low. Think about the average of both days; for example, if you do 1500UD/500DD, that averages only 1000 per day. For some people that might be perfect, for others it will be too low.

On an Up Day, you want to eat a little bit more than you would on a "normal" low-calorie or low-fat diet; not to pig out, necessarily, but you should not feel too much like you are on a diet. Even if it's one meal or one snack, I try to have something that feels like an indulgence.
2014:
6/29 282.8
7/07 280.2
7/09 277.8

Last edited by piratejenny; 07-28-2012 at 08:22 AM..
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote