Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 02:32 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
In Which She Checks Out...

Dropping in to give an update on my experiences so far with JUDDD at a conference. Today should have been a Down Day and I decided to see if I could keep it strict on the run.

The first decision I made was to skip breakfast and not eat until after I'd been fasting for at least sixteen hours. That part worked out just fine. I may have been a little too smug about that.

Next decision was to eat as healthy a low calorie lunch as I could manage. I found a veggie panini on the hotel menu and ate that. I probably ate it smugly, too.

However, just as I was getting up to leave the table, I ran into one of my editors who sat down to lunch with me, so I ordered a cup of coffee. And this is where the trouble began. I was so intent on impressing my editor that I paid no attention whatsoever to what I was putting in my coffee. A lot of table cream. I sort of realized it only after I was leaving the table.

I was fascinated, and a little alarmed, at how it had happened without my paying any conscious attention.

And then it happened again.

A few hours later, during the massive Literacy Book Signing in Anaheim (during which I sold out!), a friend gifted me with a box of chocolate. I was asked to taste it because it was some kind of local chocolatier. And it quite honestly never even occurred to me to say 'I'll have a piece tomorrow.' In the mad frenzy of the book signing, I ate it without pause, hesitation or even a thought to how many calories it might have in it.

Next, I had dinner plans with colleagues and the restaurant was so hellaciously expensive that I chose my meal based on price rather than nutrition. Calorie counting never even occurred to me.

I have no explanation for this other than that, in the chaos, I had apparently mentally checked out of dieting.

Although I went over maintenance level DD calories, I didn't eat to wild excess. When I finally put in my calories for the day, they weren't piggy. But instead of taking in calories for reasons of enjoyment, hunger or cravings, there were all sorts of empty calories that I ate for mindless social reasons.
  • Creamer in my coffee that I would not have had if I weren't concentrating so hard on the discussion at hand.
  • A piece of candy I wasn't interested in except insofar as I wanted to be gracious.
  • Some slices of bread at dinner that I had because everyone was having them.
  • A tonic water and lime at the bar because everyone else was drinking alcohol and it seemed like a better choice than a gin and tonic. Why didn't I just ask for Seltzer or tea?

Anyway, none of these choices was a crazy choice. It's just that when I'm not mindful, I apparently make weird choices, or sometimes don't make any conscious choice at all.

I never expected to be able to stay fully on plan while on this trip so I'm not stressing about it, but using it as a learning experience. And today was a new discovery. It was like I actually forgot all about JUDDD.

But I wonder how that is even possible!

Last edited by stephdray; 07-26-2012 at 02:46 AM..
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2012, 04:32 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Actually, I think you have made a wonderful start!

And you got a key learning about yourself. Not bad. Not bad at all. So, you concentrated on other important things and did not obsess about food constantly. Hey, you only ate one piece of candy! Where really good chocolates are concerned, I might have just lowered my face into the box and grazed.

Call it a victory and have a very interesting UD!
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:50 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I agree with Nancy- Call it a victory and a valuable learning experience!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:45 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March, 2009
Clever title to write from a book event.

I think you did well to have been pressed by the immediacy of the moments. For instance, having an editor sit down with you and needing to use that face time as well as possible is a big deal, and your attention has to be on it.

This is how I feel when I am going to attend an event and tell myself I'm going to remember excellent posture throughout, then realize afterward I never thought of it again and probably slouched the whole time. The more the event reminded me of its immediate stress, the less I could remember my own promise to myself.

I think this is why someone invented the string on the finger. In my case, it would need to be a neon-colored stripe.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:01 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 48 5'9.. 11-18-14 #176.
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
You did great~ You didnt go crazy,, and even though in the fore front of your mind you forgot about JUDDD .. Some where in there you did remember,, due to you dint just have a free for all kind of day,, so WTG you ~
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:41 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I would call that day a resounding success. You learned some valuable lessons about yourself and will be better able to incorporate those lessons in the future.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I agree with everyone - I think you did great! It takes what, six weeks, to make something a habit? You've only been doing this a few weeks, so cut yourself some slack. I still mess up all the time and I just try to learn from it and move on. If you get down on yourself, you might end up giving up entirely and it's just not worth it.

I love that you ate everything "smugly" though. That statement caught the sentiment of the entire experience perfectly! I have totally been there!

on the book selling out too! How was Disney? (Inquiring minds are jealous and want to know. )
Old 07-26-2012, 09:20 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Yay on the book sellout!!!!

And the day was a success in that you learned invaluable information about yourself, and will know better how to handle things in the future. JUDDD is partly about weight loss, but there are SO many things we learn about ourselves and our relationship to food, and how our bodies respond to different foods that I think are even MORE important because THAT is what will give us the ultimate victory of being able to maintain.

This is likely not something new for you--getting completely absorbed in the moment, and then eating without thought. It's just that now you know you do it. And next time, you will be more aware.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #9

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
Hey, it was a giant success in my book! The calories you eat on any particular day don't wind up mattering a bit in the long run. It all starts to run together at some point and stops mattering. The rotations matter. And what really matters is what we learn about ourselves and how we eat, why we eat, and what we use food for. You're learning some of those things and that makes it a great success. How much more mindful you are today than you were even just a short time ago!
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
You're doing great, Steph! Congrats on selling out your book! About the eating - this is sort of a process where you get to learn about how you eat, why, when... It feels enlightening, very eye-opening. The best thing that stands out to me is how aware you've become. That awareness is a big deal. Along with not punishing yourself once the awareness of what you are eating or have eaten sets in. Again, you're doing great!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
The book sold out! Woot!

And my fav ---, "And it quite honestly never even occurred to me to say 'I'll have a piece tomorrow.' This made me snicker, because quite frankly, I don't think I have ever said that either!!! Well, only to myself and then do I listen???
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:41 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I pushed send before saying, I love reading everything you write, Steph! Thank you for letting us in on your conference and best wishes!
Old 07-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #13
dee
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dee
Stats: (HW196)188/181.4/145
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart Nov 26.13 (formerly HHCG 2 rounds)
I don't think there is anyone here who "hasn't" overindulged at least once. I'd call that a success.
dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:41 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
I think it's kind of cool that you ate food without thinking about calories.

Of course, eating mindlessly and/or because of social pressure without even enjoying it isn't "cool"...but I feel so terrible about my weight that I sort of have to "allow" myself to enjoy food before I eat--every day, every bite. And make a conscious effort not to feel guilty or mentally berate myself after eating. And often I'm worried that someone will see me eating and say something critical. It takes up a lot of my energy. To eat without thinking about it at all would be a relief in some ways.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 07-26-2012 at 06:45 PM..
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post

Of course, eating mindlessly and/or because of social pressure without even enjoying it isn't "cool"...but I feel so terrible about my weight that I sort of have to "allow" myself to enjoy food before I eat--every day, every bite. And make a conscious effort not to feel guilty or mentally berate myself after eating. And often I'm worried that someone will see me eating and say something critical. It takes up a lot of my energy. To eat without thinking about it at all would be a relief in some ways.
I know what you say and I think we need to give ourselves a break! We live in a world obsessed with thin and truly not fair to all of us who want to be and wish to be. Jenny, I think you are the most beautiful person inside and out. You help so many of us selflessly all.of.the.time.

Last edited by sunday; 07-26-2012 at 06:58 PM..
Old 07-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Jenny, I think you are the most beautiful person inside and out. You help so many of us selflessly all.of.the.time.
Yah, PJ.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, y'all are the BEST!!!
Old 07-27-2012, 07:35 AM   #18

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Ditto.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:52 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heather
Stats: 175.8/152.6/145-150
WOE: JUDDD/Potato Hack
Start Date: Restart 6/27/14 - Loss: 23.2 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Jenny, I think you are the most beautiful person inside and out. You help so many of us selflessly all.of.the.time.
Double Ditto.

Jenny - Shhhhh.....don't tell anybody - just between you and me - you're still my favorite poster.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:06 AM   #20

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I'm jumping on the PJ bandwagon! You give us SO much here, and only deserve the happiest of feelings.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:33 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I've been trying all day but I still can't think of what to say, besides thank you....

I try to be accepting of and gentle with myself--
but for Pete's sake!!! I used to study flamenco & bellydance & model for art classes
and now I just feel so huge & yucky, you know?!!!
Like Jabba the Hutt!!!

(Didn't mean to make this thread go off on such a tangent!)

Last edited by piratejenny; 07-27-2012 at 10:34 PM.. Reason: (...)
Old 07-28-2012, 02:21 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post

Very incisive, PJ. There is a huge physical and emotional difference, especially in social situations, between mindless over-eating and eating in a reasonable range without thinking about it. You rock. Stephanie rocks.
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cactusrose63
Stats: 156/156/130 - 5'4", Age: 53
WOE: JUDDD 1900/800 or less if I can!
Start Date: JUDDD restart June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post

*A piece of candy I wasn't interested in except insofar as I wanted to be gracious.
Do you realize how many years we have been in the mindset of always wanting candy?? And for this to not be an issue that day...well I think that is sort of a little miracle!! This is truly JUDDD magic.
cactusrose63 is offline   Reply With Quote